Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tricks for separating speaker connectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG
Tricks for separating speaker connectors

I need help with disconnecting the speakers in the kick panels of my W208 CLK. I know these connectors are not unique to the speakers because I have seen them in other places on the car (like the trunk lock mechanism) but I need to replace the speakers and would like to be able to get the connector apart without destroying them.

Old 04-07-2024, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 778 Posts
G550
If there's no visible lock release, then they're likely engaged with just a mechanical detent. A bit of wiggle and pull on the plastic parts should separate them.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,612 Likes on 2,404 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
little spray

we always complain cheap WD40 oil is short lived... spray the connector and whatever you decide don't pull on the undersized wires directly - Pull the plastic connector apart gently 🤞

If you don't own a can of WD-40... buy a can of electric cleaning spray to help work recondition oxides.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
GLK350
Don't pull on the wires, that will pull them out of the connector pins. I'm sure of that.

Look for little tabs stocking up through the connector shell that seems to be the outer shell. See if you can press them down and wiggle the connector pieces apart.

Might also check with a technician at your favourite M-B garage. Alternately, check with a couple of car stereo shops. If they say they just chop 'em off...run! Connectors are made to be disconnected, just need to find the right combination.