Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Lemon Car Question/Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 S63 AMG
Possible Lemon Car Question/Looking for advice

Hi All,

Sorry this may be a long one but looking for some advice on how i should proceed with whats going on with my car currently.
Backstory:
I bought a CPO W222 S63 from NY back in December 2023 with 56k miles and 60k service just completed before purchase. Thing has been amazing up until last month. Started noticing oil spots in the driveway, took it into Mercedes Dealership near Pittsburgh. Diagnosed with a rear engine main seal and oil seperators need replaced, a complete engine and transmission out job on May 13th, 2024.

Problem #1: The job took over 30 days to complete which is quite concerning and i thought a bit odd, they mentioned this was a "rare" problem and this is only the second one they have done on this motor (m178) i believe, and my particular tech's first time. That should of been my first warning sign probably. During the time, they had terrible communication rarely giving updates, then when they did they gave false hopes of completion that they wouldn't meet. Also forgot to mention i cant remember the date i will check but as they put the car back together and i guess ran the car they noticed a coolant leak which they mentioned must of happened putting the car back together and was on them, which was an o-ring, but this added some days to make this 31 days or so to complete. But i sucked all this time up with the CLA loaner they gave me, was the most humbling vehicle to drive lol. But they give the car back on June 11th.

Problem #2: Wednesday June 12th, Didnt make it a full 24 hours and maybe like 100 miles, as im on the highway in a construction zone the car starts to overheat and goes into limp mode and i had to scramble as the max speed of the car was some 12 mph and find a safe place to pull off and back down an on-ramp to get out the way. Embarassing and wait for Mercedes roadside to come get the car, luckily was only waiting for like 15-20 mins but still. Then i had to get a ride down there and they gave me a loaner. The tow truck driver wouldnt give me a ride, odd, but nonetheless.

Problem #3: The very next day Thursday June 13th around noon i noticed on the app my car coming towards me, figured it was a test drive, mind you im like 35-45 mins from the dealership, paid it no mind and got a call all of a sudden saying my car was being dropped off. Mind you no call from the SA or anything, i asked the driver was the car fixed or if they had any paperwork he said he didnt know and was just dropping it off, no paperwork in car and took the loaner. Now there is where it gets weird. I start calling the dealer, calling SAs, the Service manager, the GM, no answers from anyone, left voicemails. Finally got a hold of a sales manager who i explained my situation to and he was going to let someone know. Oddly enough, i get a call an hour later from the driver saying he wasnt supposed to drop the car off and that he needed to come get it and bring back my loaner. All i can do is laugh at this point with all my frustration thinking this is an episode of Punk'd and Ashton Kutcher is going to pop out. So awkwardly he comes back and brings back the loaner and takes my car and tells me it was only supposed to be a test drive. Ok doesnt make sense. Then later SA calls and says they fixed a loose or broken coolant hose clamp and he was supposed to just test drive it and make sure it was fine, somehow was told to deliver car. Ok whatever, but they wanted to hold car overnight and make sure air bubbles are out and no other leaks, ok. Car should be ready Friday at some point and will deliver

Problem #4: Friday June 14th, So im traveling and may have missed some calls, so not sure if they contacted me. But called them and at first they said it should be delivered today. Then i got a call back not long after and was told the rear main seal was leaking again and hasnt seated properly or something of the sort and they need to remove the trans again and fix it. Will probably be ready maybe end of week of 17th.

So i write all this to say, i have become extremely frustrated with not only the dealership, but the car itself now. And i dont know what i should do next. I read NY has used car lemon laws, but looks like it needs to be serviced 3 times for the same thing and im only on two. But i also dont know if i can trust this car or the service being done and this car wont implode on itself.

So looking for REALISTIC advice please, what would you do in my situation? Call original seller (MB NY) or deal with current servicing dealership (PGH)

Thanks,
Vince

Sorry for the long rant. I had to get it out, hopefully this is the right place to post this. Newbie here
Old 06-19-2024, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,114 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
What specific problem would you say qualifies as a lemon? Not sure about NY used cars lemon law, so you need to research that. You didn't say if this was covered under any warranty, but I assume it has a CPO warranty.

I hate to say it, but if it's not costing you anything, let them fix it. I think lemon laws are to address manufacturer failures, not bad service.

Where is the car garaged? Pennsylvania or NY? That may also determine which laws apply.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by JettaRed
What specific problem would you say qualifies as a lemon? Not sure about NY used cars lemon law, so you need to research that. You didn't say if this was covered under any warranty, but I assume it has a CPO warranty.

I hate to say it, but if it's not costing you anything, let them fix it. I think lemon laws are to address manufacturer failures, not bad service.

Where is the car garaged? Pennsylvania or NY? That may also determine which laws apply.

Good luck.
I'm assuming the engine rear main seal being replaced twice now, would make it qualify if im correct. Based on the NY used car lemon law i looked up. But it is covered by warranty. its just a major inconvenience having my car in service for like 45 days now smh. And the car is housed in PA. So i wasnt sure how that law worked. But it said it had to be bought at a NY dealer. But you might be right maybe i just deal with it. Just worried the car will continue this issue.
Old 06-20-2024, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,147 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
I am not going to get in the relationship aspect. This is a premium brand: "the best or something..." luxury's finest.

Someone is gonna have to think outside the box to quit replacing your main seals. I am going to guess the engine has abnormally high crankcase pressure.

Don't waste your precious time of CPO coverage splitting hair over pocket change... get your cylinders inspected for SCORING DAMAGE ASAP. Your engine longevity depends on the results.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 06-20-2024 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:44 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Speaking only of your "service" experience with the dealership, I can't say it's an anomaly. My car has spent months (that's right, plural) at a time at the dealer for various issues, often with little-to-no communication from them as to its status or what I should expect. When I first bought the car as a CPO, I took it in for a maddening rattle in the roof; this ultimately resulted in its spending six months at the dealer, and the irony is, I was the one who eventually pinpointed the source of the problem for them (the roller shade for the pano roof had to be replaced). Last fall, I took my car in to address an issue with the Multi-Contour Seats and they had it for a total of four months, during which they eventually replaced all of the seat bladders, the two control pods, and the air pump. In my experience, the technicians aren't particularly adept at diagnosis; basically, if they can't get a computer to tell them what's wrong, then they're at a complete loss. The Service Advisors reactively wait for the technicians to tell them what's going on, and if they don't hear anything, then the customer doesn't hear anything. I'm not suggesting that all MB dealers are this inept; I'm merely assuring you that your experience is hardly unique.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,114 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by Mr. Toad
Speaking only of your "service" experience with the dealership, I can't say it's an anomaly...
Treat the dealership like your doctor, meaning that you are responsible for your health and wellness. If you don't hear the results of a blood test or biopsy within a day or two, CALL THEM.

In the case of the dealer service department, be nice but be a PITA about the status of your car. If they say it will be ready "by Friday", check Thursday. Eventually, the SA will become a little more proactive about your "case".