Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can i get Nano Coating?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can i get Nano Coating?

hi all, i'm painting my car and would like to know if i can apply the Nano Coating included to the paints apply on my car?

is it some kind of additive/ingredient in a bottle that you can buy off from the dealer and give it to my bodyshop guys? or the bodyshop guys should know about it? because i heard MB are giving instructure to the bodyshop in how to deal with the nano coating.

I really want to add the nano coating on my car... can you guys help me out?
any input is appreciated, thanks alot

Greetings,
Carl
Old 12-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You can't get it. It's baked onto the paint.

You don't want it either, expensive stuff to fix if you get in an accident.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by derAMG
hi all, i'm painting my car and would like to know if i can apply the Nano Coating included to the paints apply on my car?

is it some kind of additive/ingredient in a bottle that you can buy off from the dealer and give it to my bodyshop guys? or the bodyshop guys should know about it? because i heard MB are giving instructure to the bodyshop in how to deal with the nano coating.

I really want to add the nano coating on my car... can you guys help me out?
any input is appreciated, thanks alot

Greetings,
Carl
Yes, the paint is available. Tell your body shop to talk with their paint supplier, they can easily get it.

But personally, if your body shop doesn't know how to 1) call their paint supplier and get info or 2) apply this kind of paint, I'd probably not be letting them paint my car with any kind of paint.

-s-
Old 12-20-2004, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I seem to remember reading that PPG developed it for MB several years ago. If you find out for sure where/how to get it let us know.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:35 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
PPG did develop the product and they are the only ones who sell it. The aftermarket product is called Ceramiclear. It is only available from PPG and it costs three times more than regular clearcoat. The problem you will have is finding someone who is willing to use the PPG product. A lot of Mercedes shops use Glasurit and are unwilling to use a different product. Mercedes specifies that paint from other manufacturers can be used but the product is not as hard.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by NJS430
PPG did develop the product and they are the only ones who sell it. The aftermarket product is called Ceramiclear. It is only available from PPG and it costs three times more than regular clearcoat. The problem you will have is finding someone who is willing to use the PPG product. A lot of Mercedes shops use Glasurit and are unwilling to use a different product. Mercedes specifies that paint from other manufacturers can be used but the product is not as hard.
What's funny about this is that around here, everyone uses PPG, and finding a shop that uses Glasurit is next to impossible.

-s-
Old 12-21-2004, 12:07 PM

can't believe i got 5 replies
thanks guys, really appreciate it, now i know where to start
my bodyshop is quite reputable in my area, they do nice jobs with porsches, bmw and mercedes, i hope they dare to do it or learn new stuff
i'll get back to you guys
Old 02-11-2005, 05:30 PM

guys, i contacted my paint supplier, they said that NANO coating can only be apply at the plant in europe. Can anyone here confirm with that?

So if you crash any 05+ Mercedes with NANO coating, you will not spraying the NANO coating but with normal paint only?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:09 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
CermiClear

That simply isn't true.

Having spoken with the CermaiClear product manager at PPG here in the US and also having the hood of my 2004 S-Class (which does have the nano-paint) re-cleared almost a year ago, I can verify that the after-market product and the original factory products are the same. That's what I was told and I can honestly say there is no perceivable difference in the product that was applied to my hood. The two formulas were made because the factory uses higher heat for a faster cure time vs. the re-finish product which is formulated for the heat limitations for curing it on a completed car (tires, dash, etc. would be damaged by the heat used at the factory). This is my fourth Black Mercedes and this finish is 10 times better than the other three. Anyone who tells you it’s not as good or will be more problematic has never owned a car with this paint.

Only PPG makes the nano-paint. The trade name is CeramiClear. The clears from other manufacturers that Mercedes recommends for repairs are not as good.

Here are the PPG part numbers for the Clear and the Hardner

D8105 CAD CermiClear
D8215 CAD Hardner

It’s only been on the market a short while so that may be the reason your supplier does not know about it. Have them get in touch with their PPG rep.

Last edited by NJS430; 02-11-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:49 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
I thought this stuff had to be or was baked in at the factory with very high temps??
Old 02-12-2005, 10:12 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
Nano-Paint repair

I thought the same thing after reading the articles written on the nano-paint. They lead you to believe you need the 300+ degree temperatures to cure the finish. However, in the official press release from PPG you'll notice it also states they are working on an aftermarket product for vehicle repair. That product wasn't officially released in the US until I believe June or July. When I asked Mark Rapson who is the CermiClear product manager about the need for the high temp to create the nano finish, he told me the factory and aftermarket products produce the same finish. I had my hood done last May and there is no doubt in my mind that it is the same. Believe me on a black car that is kept the way I keep mine, the slightest difference would be noticable.

PPG has a faxBack service 1-800-450-2654 if you want the data sheet on the product. The product description reads:

"D1805 CAD Ceramiclear Clearcoat is a mar and scratch resistant, high solid clearcoat especially designed for the repair of Mercedes-Benz cars that have an OE finish using PPG Ceramiclear."

Last edited by NJS430; 02-12-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:07 PM

thanks njs430, will keep it posted
this time, i think i can get it.
if i can't... i hope you can give me a hand...
i need to paint my whole car...
Old 03-01-2005, 05:57 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Great info . Hope I don't ever need it though.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

carl, holla!

which one are you trying to get repainted?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 CLK280
repaint with nano CeramiClear.

I just accidentally backed my 3 weeks old 2006 CLK into a pole. My rear bumper and left quarter panel above the wheel is scratched and need repaint.

I am so upset since my car is very new and I want to make sure it is repainted with nano-tech as orignial.

I am planning to take it back to the offical mercedes bodyshop in Hong Kong. I asked them about the nano-tech and they seems to have no clue what I am talking about. They just ensured me they will use the paint as in the production factory and have the nano-effect if that's what come with my car originally.

Do you guys think whether the mercedes bodyshop will use the nano Ceramiclear Clearcoat to my car ?