Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS 1993 500E $8000

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FS 1993 500E $8000

I'm a full-time student, working full time, and applying to med school, and I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that I don't have the time nor the money to keep this car. I love it and I hope to someday be able to buy one when I'm better off, but for now I can't afford what it takes to keep everything running perfectly. Up to now, when a small parts died I replaced it myself or left it at the shop. The driver's seat motor's just died, and that's sort of the last straw for me. I just need a more reliable car since I don't have time for it to be out of commission, plus I have a hard time affording the more expensive parts (like a seat for instance).

The car itself is in reasonable shape. Car is pearl black with gray interior. VIN is WDBEA36E7PB873118. I would say that it is in "Fair" condition. It has a checkered past. The paint looks good but has nicks. There's a dent in the trunk lid next to the plate. Along the roofline, the paint is peeling due to shoddy spraying.

The car was involved in an accident years ago. It's not salvage title, but the frame had to be straightened. It was repainted at that time, including the cladding. There is scuff damage to the front lip.

The interior is in good shape. The wood up front and along the doors is in good shape and free of cracks. The wood between the seats in the back has some cracks. The leather is good except for the driver seat and front armrest which has normal wear.

Wheel/tire: The wheels are Fikse Profil 10s. The front right one is just over a year old, but they sent it with defective clearcoat that kind of melted off. They refused to take it back. These wheels retail at about $800 or so apiece. Tires are Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. 245/45/17 in front, 285/40/17 in the rear. The fronts were just replaced but the rears will need replacing soon.

Electronics: Everything except for the driver seat works. For the driver seat, the rear tilt of the seat bottom is broken. The other adjustments work fine. The car has an ASR defeat mapped to the snow tire button. Stereo is upgraded, with a McIntosh amp in the rear and 2 6" subs in the first aid area, and a Pioneer head unit and Pioneer dash speakers. I also installed a bluetooth system that mutes the stereo.

Engine/trans: The engine and exhaust was replaced a few months ago. The original engine was bored out and failed last winter. The new engine is running great right now, but will probably need normal, minor maintenance in the near future (water pump for instance). The transmission has a 1st-gear start valve body.

I know the car seems patchy. If I had to summarize it, it is running great and is in OK shape. I don't have most of the repair paperwork. Those in the CA 500E scene, and anyone active over at 500Ecstasy, know of Jeff Wong. Almost all of the work has been done at his shop, and he knows this car well so he can vouch for any data.

I'm asking $8,000. Any questions, please let me know.

-Josh

More pictures available upon request.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 732 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Compliments on the full disclosures
Old 05-26-2010, 01:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'02 C320 Wagon, '78 308 GTS, '06 Highlander Hybrid
It looks sharp from the pix. I sure miss my 500E. GLWS.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:35 AM

E350
beautiful car.

wish i had the means.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
You're probably looking to sell complete, but if you decide to sell off the wheels seperately, I'd love to take them off your hands! Either way, great project car at a good price for a caring new owner!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
I'll give you $70 for the floormats pending condition. Local.

Edit: I've also got a set of factory wheels for sale if you think they might help sale. I, you, and FLYNAVY may even be able to work out a 3 way trade.

Last edited by rivcal4life; 06-04-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:02 AM

c43
clean photos!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 PM

rivcal: I don't think you'll want the floormats. They're not in terrific shape (not bad but not great). But more importantly they don't fit very well. I'd been trying to find factory mats for a while up til now.
FLYNAVY: If I have trouble selling the car privately, which realistically is very possible, then I would consider selling the wheels separately. They don't add anything to the trade-in value and I'd like to see someone enjoy them. But just a heads up: the front passenger wheel has a defective clearcoat. Fikse sent it to me like that (it's only ~1 year old) and wouldn't back it up. So there are spots where it has dissolved off and shows white when dirty. Needless to say I wouldn't do business with them personally after that. Anyway, like rivcal picked up, I'd need a set of factory rims first. So I'll let you guys know if that's how things go.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 PM

Price reduced to $5,000.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:49 PM

97R129-01W163-94E320-93500E
Joshdude,

Can you please let me know your location and the time it would be available for inspection? Preferable this Friday, Saturday or Sunday, if it's not yet sold.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 06-09-2010, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
I think you've got this priced too low at $5k. You've shown all the bad stuff, which is great for the buyer, but the car looks in better condition than the ad suggests. The paint scuffs look like they'd largely buff out with some rubbing compound and maybe a little touch up paint on the front bumper.

You've got a rare, collectible Benz that was hand assembled by Porsche. It's got a new engine. It looks great in the top two pictures (nice wheels, btw). I'd put it on eBay starting at $5k before I'd let it go without a fight for that amount. Also, while it's great to show the problems so no one is surprised, I would focus more on the good parts of the car. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by Joshdude
rivcal: I don't think you'll want the floormats. They're not in terrific shape (not bad but not great). But more importantly they don't fit very well. I'd been trying to find factory mats for a while up til now.
FLYNAVY: If I have trouble selling the car privately, which realistically is very possible, then I would consider selling the wheels separately. They don't add anything to the trade-in value and I'd like to see someone enjoy them. But just a heads up: the front passenger wheel has a defective clearcoat. Fikse sent it to me like that (it's only ~1 year old) and wouldn't back it up. So there are spots where it has dissolved off and shows white when dirty. Needless to say I wouldn't do business with them personally after that. Anyway, like rivcal picked up, I'd need a set of factory rims first. So I'll let you guys know if that's how things go.
Cool, yeah no rush, no pressure. Just figured they'd look pretty nice on my 201 after some more fender work.