ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Official Score Keeping Thread ML63 vs. Cayenne Turbo S. based on facts.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2024 SL63/2018 E63s Estate
Boys, boys, boys: When all is said and done, the Cayenne still has that prodigious snout. Whether or not one is marginally faster or stops infintesimally quicker, I'll never get used to that front end
Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500 and A64.2 sport
Exterior Looks ML63
Interior Cayenne
Price/Value ML63
Off Road - never
Old 08-01-2006, 06:45 PM

SL500 /Porsche 997S/Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Those can't be compared since one is a 0-60 MPH and the other a 0-100 km/h.

Using 0-100 km/h for both with Cayenne data from here:
http://www.porsche.com/germany/model...yenne-turbo-s/

Cayenne:5.2 seconds
ML63AMG 5.0 seconds

Cayenne 0
ML63AMG: 1

Using the figures for the USA models it is a toss-up. Go to www3.us.porsche.com/usa/ and it shows the 0 to 60 MPH of the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S as 4.8 seconds.

I just received the 2007 M-Class brochure in the mail from MBUSA today and it shows the 0 to 60 MPH of the ML63 as 4.8 seconds.

So this is:

Cayenne 0
ML63 AMG 0

or because this is excellent performance from either...............

Cayenne 1
ML63 AMG 1

Phil
Old 08-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by PhilS
Using the figures for the USA models it is a toss-up. Go to www3.us.porsche.com/usa/ and it shows the 0 to 60 MPH of the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S as 4.8 seconds.

I just received the 2007 M-Class brochure in the mail from MBUSA today and it shows the 0 to 60 MPH of the ML63 as 4.8 seconds.

So this is:

Cayenne 0
ML63 AMG 0

or because this is excellent performance from either...............

Cayenne 1
ML63 AMG 1

Phil
Phil you are a funny man lol ,
Old 08-17-2006, 02:48 PM

DJ Euro mentoned in his first post in this thread the price discrepancy between the two:

"Cayenne Turbo S MSRP: $111,600 vs. ML63 MSRP: $85,500"

Those figures are in U.S. dollars. In Canada the Porsche premium is obscene!

A base Cayenne Turbo S goes for $157,000 and can option to $200,000 while the ML bases at $96,800 and options to $110,000.

The Canadian price for a Cayenne S is around $95000.

The price gap between the ML and the Turbo S is much greater than in the U.S.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eye_Candy
DJ Euro mentoned in his first post in this thread the price discrepancy between the two:

"Cayenne Turbo S MSRP: $111,600 vs. ML63 MSRP: $85,500"

Those figures are in U.S. dollars. In Canada the Porsche premium is obscene!

A base Cayenne Turbo S goes for $157,000 and can option to $200,000 while the ML bases at $96,800 and options to $110,000.

The Canadian price for a Cayenne S is around $95000.

The price gap between the ML and the Turbo S is much greater than in the U.S.
Things will get a little more even in the USA when the 2008's Cayennes arrive in early 2007. The updated turbo is rumored to have around 500 HP. Current pricing for the turbo is around $90,000, so it should be pretty close to the ML63 pricing. And it comes with Xenons standard and true off-road capabilities.

Where did you get your Canadian Cayenne S pricing? I looked at the Porsche Canadian website and it showed the list price for the S as $80,100.

Last edited by PhilS; 08-17-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:16 PM

I stand corrected on the Cayenne S price. The ones I looked at in the spring were all lightly optioned, acounting for the discrepancy. It doesn't change my point however that the difference between the base ML 63 and the base Turbo S here in Canada is a whopping $ 60,200 or 62% more.

Here are the 2006 #'s from Yahoo.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/newcars/po...l_overview.php

MSRP
Engine
Fuel Econ.

Porsche Cayenne Base
Photos, Features,Specs
$60,100
3.2 L 247HP
n/a

Porsche Cayenne S
Photos, Features,Specs
$80,100
4.5 L 340HP
n/a

Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Photos, Features,Specs
$126,900
4.5 L 450HP
n/a

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Photos, Features,Specs
$157,000
4.5 L 520HP
n/a
Old 08-17-2006, 05:42 PM

The difference between the 2 in the U.S. is $26,100 or $29,286.64 CAD. Porsche Canada continues to gouge Canadians while Mercedes does not. The base Canadian price of the ML63 is a simple conversion from the U.S. base price to Canadian dollars.

Porsche Canada's has been doing this to us for years. Mercedes fair pricing means ADD 60200 points to ML in my opinion!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:15 PM

The difference between the 2 in the U.S. is $26,100 or $29,286.64 CAD. Porsche Canada continues to gouge Canadians while Mercedes does not. The base Canadian price of the ML63 is a simple conversion from the U.S. base price to Canadian dollars.

Porsche Canada's has been doing this to us for years. Mercedes fair pricing means ADD 60200 points to ML in my opinion!
Valid point for Canadian buyers. Not the case in the US where the ML63 and Cayenne Turbo are priced about the same.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:05 AM
Almost a Member!

so you guys want me to add a point? lol
Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 PM

After BoBCanada posted those 0-100-0 test results I poked around that www.autobild.de site and found this comparison between the ML and the porsche. The translated link will only take you to the main page so you have to click 'test reports' on the left column, then 'new vehicle', then go into the SRT8 jeep review where you will find a hot link to the ML porsche comparo at the bottom.

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

The translated conclusion appears to give the nod to the ML.

"Result of AUTO BIL ALL all wheel editor Martin brown: With their nearly already indecent gasoline consumption address themselves these two superjeeps only to superrealms. Mercedes wins scarcely to points, because it combines the sportier engine with the favourable price. The still more expensive Porsche is a brachiales motorway animal, because the less harmonious force development does not disturb there."

Here is the full translated text (sans charts):

Cayenne Turbos S against ML 63 AMG
What costs the world?
The admission to the club of the fastest jeeps of the world costs 96,164 euro with Mercedes and 117,573 euro with Porsche. Together carry out the two strength-show off more than 1000 HP.

From Martin brown wealth releases from all concerns - that means heavily create-ends people gladly. But one also sees to realms of this world now and then with deep concern folds on the forehead. For example if it concerns the agony of the choice of the next automobile. Who versatility jeep estimates, its transportation capacity, which high trailer weight, which is appropriate for seating position, which does not want to do to weather-independentness, but additionally without motorway speed, here correctly. Because with this comparison the newest speed versions of Mercedes and Porsche begin against each other.

Nominal more strongly than the Mercedes machine: the Porsche-V8.
510 HP from 6.2 litres largeHochdrehzahl-V8 the ML offers to 63 AMG. The Cayenne turbo S counters with a 4,5-Liter-V8, which two turbochargers on 521 HP blow. The engines are it also, which constitute the largest difference between both the force showing off when driving. The view of the technical data or the achievement and torque diagrams hardly helps, in order to come the true life under the powerful hoods on the trace. The theoretician would givepreference to the turbo- Cayenne. It brings it finally on 720 Nm to torque with only 2750 routes, while Mercedes for its 630 Nm with high 5200 revolutions must wait.

The Porsche thus a bäriger force bull, Mercedes against it a zickiges running horse? By no means. To truth the Mercedes Sauger supplies exactly what one expects from it: Kraft, much Kraft - immediately. The AMG-V8 reacted with each number of revolutions decided and inexorably on movements of the accelerotor pedal. Each instruction present converted in propulsion, also with the traffic light start or in the close inside local traffic. Differently the Porsche: Here, in city traffic exactly thus, he shows his weakness. It always takes one instant after the acceleration, until the two Turbos developed the load pressure. Then only geht's loosely. But with a such Vehemenz that one makes oneself concerns around the poor drive strand.

SpontaneousMercedes is meanwhile however leave some car lengths enteilt. A projection/lead, which the Porsche cannot make up for also by the almost force of its turbo-thrust any longer. Its additional torque verpufft in the 205 kilograms excess weight, which the lead-heavy Porsche with itself must drag. Only on the completely depopulated motorway above 253 km/h, which reaches electronicallylimited AMG Mercedes with impressing casualness, the unlimited Porsche Cayenne pulls nevertheless still slowly past.

Completely differently also the sound both breaking into. The Mercedes-V8 wummert always dezent bassig, changes starting from 5000 routes into hysterisches hammering. The Cayenne turbo S against it hums first harmlessly, lets only with full power its turbochargers like a monströsen vacuum cleaner blow. So enormously the engines also push, really suitably for sporty driving fashion on highways are both only conditioned. Even with 2385 kilograms unloaded weight easier Mercedes feels with fast Kurvenhatz deplaziert on. One can very quickly drive, without a feeling of uncertainty arises. It becomes ridiculous however nevertheless, if one recognizes that the driver currentgulf of a GTI keeps up obviously easy, while one 20-tariff-matures the rubber of its expensive in the curves charred. With the 2590 kilogram weighing Porsche is that not one interprets differently.

There it tröstet that there are also alternative driving fashions. Offer despite a chassis tuning tauter in relation to the more inexpensive versions
Too heavily for the highway: The Porsche must on the motorway.
both still satisfying suspension comfort. Thus journeys also expanded make joy. Immense engine performance is then guarantor for successful overhauling procedures and brisk cruising speed. On the motorway pleases then also the engine characteristic Porsche. Because the number of revolutions drops here never so far, in order to fall in the weakness valley of the Turbos. On almost identical basic dimensions arise also very similar interior mass. Mercedes uses however the place somewhat better and leaves to the rear passengers more knee area. The Porsche pleases against it with its lower Ladekante. Practical combination rear flaps have both.

It is to be owed to the all-wheel drives working very efficiently in both cases that the immense engine strength on wet roadway problem-free into dramatic
Only on fastened ways: The area package is missing to the strongest ML.
Acceleration is converted. The Porsche shows thereby no deviations opposite its weaker brothers. He comes despite standard 20-tariff-sport-matures with area reduction and central differential lock therefore - when desired even with rear axle barrier. Differently Mercedes: In the ML 63 AMG a transfer case deviating oppositethe usual M-classes sits. Instead of 50:50 the engine strength 40:60 is distributed, more tail-stressed thus. That is with accelerating from curves the gossip shoving out of the front car lindern - it does also. On the distance thereby the area reduction orderable with the other M-classes remains including differential locks. Mercedes obviously assumes those have really realms for the area still anotherG-model in the garage.

Result of AUTO BIL ALL all wheel editor Martin brown: With their nearly already indecent gasoline consumption address themselves these two superjeeps only to superrealms. Mercedes wins scarcely to points, because it combines the sportier engine with the favourable price. The still more expensive Porsche is a brachiales motorway animal, because the less harmonious force development does not disturb there.

Last edited by Eye_Candy; 09-06-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG

THats the only model they do it to, YOU KNOW WHYyyyyyyyyyyy Have a guess! Okay I'll tell you, IT IS MADE in Alabama.

Porsche made in Germany.

Btw just saw a silver ml63!!! Holy mother of SUVs it looks HOT i had to make a traffic coz i wanted to hear it rumble!

Last edited by BoBcanada; 09-06-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:43 PM

'02 c230k coupe
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/cayenne_turbo.asp

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/mercedes_benz_m.asp
Old 09-06-2006, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG

AND?! Oh I see you are trying to show us that RSportscars.com dont have alot of info on ML63... well too bad for them.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:41 AM

'02 c230k coupe
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
AND?! Oh I see you are trying to show us that RSportscars.com dont have alot of info on ML63... well too bad for them.

uhhhh, im trying to show that there's a difference between the two cars. And that i have a source of what i'm getting my numbers????
Old 09-07-2006, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 AM

These numbers may be applicable for the Euro model, but not for the North American model. When they added all the extras to the NA model it ended up weighing more and is therefore a little slower. For example, they show 0 to 60 MPH as 4.8 seconds in the US brochure.

Phil
Old 09-08-2006, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by PhilS
These numbers may be applicable for the Euro model, but not for the North American model. When they added all the extras to the NA model it ended up weighing more and is therefore a little slower. For example, they show 0 to 60 MPH as 4.8 seconds in the US brochure.

Phil

Well in Canada they show 0-100km/h same 5 seconds. so dunno.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:13 PM

Whatever I feel like
A couple days ago, I ripped a 0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds in my Cayenne Turbo S. I used my Driftbox which is from the same company that makes the Vbox and it's just as accurate. It uses the same GPS technology as the Vbox.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-driftbox.html

When making this run I have PSM off, suspension set to sport and lowered 1 setting, A/C completely off, windows closed. Weather was 85 degrees, mild humidity. Run was done on a desterted flat level black top surface.

Car has 2600 miles on it. (it really has come alive since it was brand new, which is probably why some mags might not get as good of acceleration results). Car had very little gas in it, maybe 2-3 gallons.

Launch was done by power braking up to 2900 RPMs and letting her rip. I got slight rear wheel chirp as the front wheels gripped and the car just flew off the line.

It would be great if someone had a broken in ML63 in the Nashville area and we could do some tests.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by acicchelli

It would be great if someone had a broken in ML63 in the Nashville area and we could do some tests.
Well that would be awesome BUT ml63 does 0-200 ( 120 mph) in 17 sec and turbo S does in 19, 2 seconds is a big difference i think ml 63 faster bevause of 7g gearbox. Although i love both cars!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:05 PM

Whatever I feel like
Well that would be awesome BUT ml63 does 0-200 ( 120 mph) in 17 sec and turbo S does in 19, 2 seconds is a big difference i think ml 63 faster bevause of 7g gearbox. Although i love both cars!
Until someone who actually has an ML63 does some tests on the same day with someone who has a Turbo S (and both cars are fully broken in), all the above performance data means nada. People who only read magazines or brochures and have neither of the two cars should refrain from using them to back up opinions that they are passing along as fact.

I am not saying either car is faster as I have never driven or tested an ML63 myself. I suspect it would be a close race, and of course the Turbo S cost more. You do get a lot more for that extra money, although many people may have a hard time justifying the price difference. The same argument can be made about the Jeep SRT against the ML63. It all comes down to what each individual prefers and it's good to be living in a time where we have so many great options for our car choices.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
well this test was posted on 6speed if you didnt see it.

Meaningfully or not: The Mercedes ML 63 AMG comes out as a winner from this comparison. Its fiery V8-Triebwerk inspires with sound and temper. Besides it is more favorable over 20000 euro than the Porsche. The Cayenne turbo S wins the prestigious driving dynamics chapter - he has here among other things with the brakes, the traction and driving safety the nose in front. However the AMG can decide the other chapters for itself, which proves under the line also still owing to its smaller weight than the agilere car.
Porsche Cayenne turbo S / Mercedes ML 63 AMG
0-80 km/h (s) 3.9 3.7
0-100 km/h (s) 5.3 5.1
0-120 km/h (s) 7.3 6.9
60-100 km/h (s) 2.6 2.6
80-120 km/h (s) 3.4 3.2
Maximum speed (km/h) 270 280
Handling (min.) 1:47,5 1:46,6
Slalom (km/h), Pylonenabst. 18 m 61.9 58.7

too bad they dont have 0-200 kmh but still you can see ML63 is not a slug!!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:41 PM

Whatever I feel like
well this test was posted on 6speed if you didnt see it.

Meaningfully or not: The Mercedes ML 63 AMG comes out as a winner from this comparison. Its fiery V8-Triebwerk inspires with sound and temper. Besides it is more favorable over 20000 euro than the Porsche. The Cayenne turbo S wins the prestigious driving dynamics chapter - he has here among other things with the brakes, the traction and driving safety the nose in front. However the AMG can decide the other chapters for itself, which proves under the line also still owing to its smaller weight than the agilere car.
Porsche Cayenne turbo S / Mercedes ML 63 AMG
0-80 km/h (s) 3.9 3.7
0-100 km/h (s) 5.3 5.1
0-120 km/h (s) 7.3 6.9
60-100 km/h (s) 2.6 2.6
80-120 km/h (s) 3.4 3.2
Maximum speed (km/h) 270 280
Handling (min.) 1:47,5 1:46,6
Slalom (km/h), Pylonenabst. 18 m 61.9 58.7

too bad they dont have 0-200 kmh but still you can see ML63 is not a slug!!
I did see it, I posted on there if you read the entire thread. Since I was able to get better numbers, I tend to believe they didnt have a broken in Turbo S for the test which could have made all the difference in the data. (or they didnt know what they were doing)

I definitely dont think the ML63 is a slug. As I said above, I am not saying either car is faster. I am just not going to assume the ML63 because of 1 magazine test. I prefer to compare my own real world results.

Last edited by acicchelli; 09-10-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Well than we should wait and see for more test drives and comparisons!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
You can be sure Car and Driver will do one soon!

M

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Official Score Keeping Thread ML63 vs. Cayenne Turbo S. based on facts.