ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Heads up display

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63
Heads up display

I find myself needing to know what gear I am in b4 I do some incredible pass. Mentally I keep track of it except when I need it most....6th and 7th is strictly overdrive 5th has a little muscle 4th does the trick and you dont want to kick down to 3rd at 70 mph....Me Think the next ML option should be a heads up display.

The car is truly incredible passing others on the pipe, and the sound while in a tunnel is pure american Thunder....Cant wait to find an exhaust system, let some more ponies out!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:51 AM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
I found that as you scroll through the menus from the steering wheel you come across a menu that shows oil temp and current gear. I found it useful when towing my boat back from the lake last week. When towing I never let the tranny get above 5th gear.

Ain't passing a blast in this rig? I find that I sometimes startle other drivers because one second I'm behind them and the next second I'm beside, then around them. (I even got the finger once)

The only thing I had to get used to was with the seven speed tranny I have to shift down two gears instead of one like I used to in my old E55. But now, two quick snaps of my left finger gets me into the meat of the power band and Away...wee...goooo!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:53 AM

'08 CL63
And did you also know that by holding the downshift button behind the steering wheel for a couple of seconds will automatically downshift the transmission into the lowest useable gear? Could come in handy for a surefire bet to pass those Cayenne Turbo S's

And if you've selected comfort ( C ) or sport ( S ) you can limit the highest useable gear which would be helpful towing. I.O.W. the transmission will start out in first ( S ) or second ( C ) and shift normally up to the gear you've selected next to the S or C on the info display between the speedo and tach. Hopefully I haven't confused anyone, but it works great and when you're done using this feature just hold the upshift button for a couple of seconds and it's back to shifting through the whole range.

I agree with you guys totally....the passing power not only is impressive but immediate. What a blast and very smooth even when driving "easy" .....
Old 10-17-2006, 09:54 AM

ML63
Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER
I found that as you scroll through the menus from the steering wheel you come across a menu that shows oil temp and current gear. I found it useful when towing my boat back from the lake last week. When towing I never let the tranny get above 5th gear.

Ain't passing a blast in this rig? I find that I sometimes startle other drivers because one second I'm behind them and the next second I'm beside, then around them. (I even got the finger once)

The only thing I had to get used to was with the seven speed tranny I have to shift down two gears instead of one like I used to in my old E55. But now, two quick snaps of my left finger gets me into the meat of the power band and Away...wee...goooo!

I save that menu for My I Tunes, yes I have seen it, its a little larger right in the middle of the screen...I too had an 04 e55 kompressor, and the toggles although they are improved over that generation of shifter are still not the bat wings it should have.What I like most about passing in this baby is the actual rear squat under hard acceleration....awesome performance on the pipe....the pipe starts at 3000rpm and runs all the way up!!! I too have suprised many a driver as they dissapeared in my mirror... nothing but sports oriented sedans can keep up with it..

How come the major Mags have not tested it YET??
Old 10-17-2006, 09:58 AM

'08 CL63
MSDLTD: I sent an e-mail to all the major magz. a couple of weeks ago about testing the ML63 and have not heard anything back yet. I'll bet they're working on a comparison test with, among other's, the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:20 PM

ML63
Fire away

Do you also notice, under hard acceleration you have to shift or press the shift about a half a sec before you want that shift to happen....this generation of gearbox in no way compares to the SMG/ Ferrari f1 clutch box systems....Thats really what they need is to put a clutch that fires a gear change when you do!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:55 PM

I wish they put the gear selection indicator in the bottom screen all the time I am constantly switching between the radio, temp and gear selection. I keep the bottom in speed instead of temp. So I memorized the button sequence for temp (down 3 one button then down 2 other button). They have room on the bottom screen for temp, speed, and gear selection. Then we could use the top for the radio.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:06 AM

ML63
Originally Posted by Black&Tan-AMG
I wish they put the gear selection indicator in the bottom screen all the time I am constantly switching between the radio, temp and gear selection. I keep the bottom in speed instead of temp. So I memorized the button sequence for temp (down 3 one button then down 2 other button). They have room on the bottom screen for temp, speed, and gear selection. Then we could use the top for the radio.
Coming from a cayenne turbo...I must admit this car is lacking real analog gauges...I dont want to scroll through menus to see if I am overheating or the battery is not charging...The cayenne had more info right at hand...
Thats my only complaint.