ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

2nd gear takeoff ml 63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63
2nd gear takeoff ml 63

I believe both comfort and sport modes take off in second gear...that is probably why in an earlier thread I stated it had a turbo lag quality to it, when actually the only way to get ripe rip snorting accel off the line is to chuck it down to one and leave it in S to do the rest...

FUN!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:15 PM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
Good observation!

I'll try it tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Sport mode should start off in 1st gear....no?

Comfort mode starts in 2nd gear, for comfort, slippery road conditions, etc.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Isn't it standard mode?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:01 AM

'08 CL63
Comfort always starts in second gear (unless u override it manually) . Sport will only start out in first gear if you have been driving somewhat aggressively before selecting Sport mode or somewhat aggressive driving while in Sport mode. "Adaptive" transmission control. Works great in my opinion.

Dave

Last edited by Rider1; 10-24-2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:16 AM

How can you drop it in first and let it do the shifting? Once you put it in first don't you need to shift? I would like it to start in first but keep it in auto mode.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:26 AM

'08 CL63
For the transmission to start out in first gear, select S for Sport and if it doesn't start out in first gear initially, then drive moderately aggressive for a couple of minutes and it will then start out in first gear and of course shift automatically. Unless you press the + or - buttons to control it manually.

And u know when you press the + or - buttons to change the number next to the S or C that will place an upper limit on the range for the automatic transmission.

Hope that helps.

Dave
Old 10-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Almost a Member!

"And u know when you press the + or - buttons to change the number next to the S or C that will place an upper limit on the range for the automatic transmission"

Dave could you please explain that more. I don't understand what you mean.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:37 PM

ML63
I find, That if I leave it in S....Kick it down manually to 1, then as soon as you take off...Hold the upshift button down, and it will automatically run up to 7th or Display S again.you gotta hold it for a sec or two...Let the MB brain do the shifting.

Trying to predict the manual shift under hard accel is futile, it shifts when it wants not when you click it...Room for Improvement!!!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:01 PM

XLR
I wonder why these cars do this?
Both the Cayenne TT and the ML 55 both start out in 2nd unless you manually drop to 1st and shift yourself the rest of the time. And they both hit the rev limiter on the way up if your not careful and shift. exactly!
For hard launches in both cars, I drop down to 1st and once I start rolling I immediately hold the upshift button and it shifts by itself at the right time! Anyway, maybe this is the same on the 63.

Last edited by ///AMG55; 10-24-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:54 PM

'08 CL63
Sorry if I confused anyone... but... for quickest performance just select S for Sport and if the trans. doesn't shift into first it means you've been driving less sporty previously. So to cure this just leave it in S and drive more aggressive and you'll see the trans will automatically downshift into first when you come to a stop. There is no need to manual select first....the key is to drive more agressive and the trans. control module will recognize this and give you first gear at the start.

michaelt: when C or S is selected you can limit the highest gear the trans. will automatically shift up to ( in sequence of course ) by pressing the downshift button or upshift button to show a number ( 1-7 ) to the right of the C or S on the info display between the speedo and tach. Works great for pulling a trailer or if you just want to limit the highest gear the trans. will shift to . Now to delete the limit you've selected just press and hold the upshift button for a second or two and the number next to the C or S will go away and then the trans. uses the full range.

Does that make more sense?

Dave
Old 10-24-2006, 04:07 PM

ML63
Originally Posted by Rider1
Sorry if I confused anyone... but... for quickest performance just select S for Sport and if the trans. doesn't shift into first it means you've been driving less sporty previously. So to cure this just leave it in S and drive more aggressive and you'll see the trans will automatically downshift into first when you come to a stop. There is no need to manual select first....the key is to drive more agressive and the trans. control module will recognize this and give you first gear at the start.

michaelt: when C or S is selected you can limit the highest gear the trans. will automatically shift up to ( in sequence of course ) by pressing the downshift button or upshift button to show a number ( 1-7 ) to the right of the C or S on the info display between the speedo and tach. Works great for pulling a trailer or if you just want to limit the highest gear the trans. will shift to . Now to delete the limit you've selected just press and hold the upshift button for a second or two and the number next to the C or S will go away and then the trans. uses the full range.

Does that make more sense?

Dave

I always wondered what they meant by a learning transmission, but never recognized anything that it learned...I had it in my E 55 too.Guess I'll have to get aggressive with the box in S...and see if it gets the job done!
Thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 05:42 PM

Just a thought but I know the E63 guys discussed this also. They were having the same problem you were. There is a menu for you to change the sport mode gear from 2nd to 1st. I dont know the specifics but do a search for it in the E55/E63 forum.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
MercedesFTW Standard was when it used the S/W, for Winter and Standard. They changed it to C/S for Comfort, Sport.

Guys, might want to do the ECU reset, so it can readapt to your driving style. Might help with the shifts, especially if you babied it for the break-in period.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Almost a Member!

"Sorry if I confused anyone... but... for quickest performance just select S for Sport and if the trans. doesn't shift into first it means you've been driving less sporty previously. So to cure this just leave it in S and drive more aggressive and you'll see the trans will automatically downshift into first when you come to a stop. There is no need to manual select first....the key is to drive more agressive and the trans. control module will recognize this and give you first gear at the start. "

Dave,

By driving more aggressively in sport mode I assume you mean utilizing the paddles for shifting, as opposed to just accelerating a lot???
This is my first AMG and I have been amazed at how it downshifts automatically in sport mode. I have never even heard of this "learning tranny before". What is the learning timeframe and what does it look for??

Thank you in advance for all this usefull info.

Michael
Old 10-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by michaelt
"Sorry if I confused anyone... but... for quickest performance just select S for Sport and if the trans. doesn't shift into first it means you've been driving less sporty previously. So to cure this just leave it in S and drive more aggressive and you'll see the trans will automatically downshift into first when you come to a stop. There is no need to manual select first....the key is to drive more agressive and the trans. control module will recognize this and give you first gear at the start. "

Dave,

By driving more aggressively in sport mode I assume you mean utilizing the paddles for shifting, as opposed to just accelerating a lot???
This is my first AMG and I have been amazed at how it downshifts automatically in sport mode. I have never even heard of this "learning tranny before". What is the learning timeframe and what does it look for??

Thank you in advance for all this usefull info.

Michael
The adaptive transmission "learns" your driving habits. I was told for the first 20 shifts, not sure about that though.

If you drive aggressively, the car will be a little more responsive, and the upshift points will be set higher.

If you drive like a granny, it will respond a little slower, and the upshift points will be lower.

Which is why I said try doing the ECU reset if you babied the car during the break-in period. The ECU reset, essentially lets the car relearn your driving habits.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:11 PM

'08 CL63
Michael, I'm not sure if using the "paddles" (shift buttons behind the steering wheel) will tell the trans. that you're driving more "sporty". Probably will, but I know for sure by just leaving S selected and driving more aggressive in auto mode the trans. will then start out in first gear and have sharper, higher rpm shift points. And it will hold the gear it's in when you let off the throttle say for a sharp turn up ahead or.... It works GREAT!
I typically leave C selected, because 99% of the time I drive like an "old fart" better make that 98% of the time

PhilS: The ML63, when in S mode, will shift all the way to top gear ( 7th ) but the Cayenne TT would only shift to 5th out of 6 with PASM selected OFF.

Have you test driven the ML63 Phil?

Dave

Last edited by Rider1; 10-24-2006 at 08:18 PM.