ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Jeep SRT8 vs. Mercedes ML63 from a stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG ML63, M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe, New Audi TT, Audi R8 (coming)
Originally Posted by mosesgolf
No more excuses. It lost. Period. It seemed like a fair race. C.mon. We're MB owners not BMW owners.

Opps check that. I have an X5 also. Make that M5 owners.

p.s. the second video is on the link below.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4g3k7end_e8
Old 01-03-2007, 02:03 PM

Interlagos Blue 06 M5
Originally Posted by DoctorD

p.s. the second video is on the link below.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4g3k7end_e8

18 seconds from 20 mph to put on 2 car lengths. That's disappointing to me.

The Dodge hung in there most of the way and w/ the huge hp advantage the ML is supposed to have as well as better gearing and $50k more in price, it should be a larger margin.

It still won't deter me from upgrading from the X5 later this year but bottom line is that Dodge is one heck of a performer.

Last edited by mosesgolf; 01-03-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I own an ML 63. Before I bought it, I also drove the Jeep SRT8, yes its fast, but with the right driver, the ML will spank that hunk of junk no problem, thats the bottom line. The ML guy didnt know what he was doing. That said, I challenge anyone here with GC SRT8 to come race me, Then well see whos faster, Im in So Cal Any Takers?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG_55
that wasnt eating him, he barely pulled 1 car length and they were no doubt nudging 100mph

i honestly expected more from the ml63, its got 2 more gears, 80more hp etc...

i guess the srt8 is just very fast for some reason
Dont Hate your just mad I completely killed you in your CLK 55
Watch the Video in case you forgot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYVOMdFNF_c
Old 01-03-2007, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
No matter how you look at it,SRT8 is a hell of a deal at its price and easy to modify too.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by absent
No matter how you look at it,SRT8 is a hell of a deal at its price and easy to modify too.
+1 just like Z06 is!

I think there should be a pakage Z06 + SRT8 lol
Old 01-03-2007, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
Dont Hate your just mad I completely killed you in your CLK 55
Watch the Video in case you forgot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYVOMdFNF_c
you completely killed no one, my tires were dead.
your mad that you car gets killed up to 120 by a 45k$ american truck
Old 01-03-2007, 04:53 PM

2012 C63 Black Series Coupe
Anyone who bases any serious comparison on anonymous information posted via the internet should consider the source. Unless you have more control over the situation -- similarly skilled drivers who are equally familiar with the operation of their machines -- these videos are useless.

For example, I used to consistently smoke 911 drivers while driving my E55 wagon -- and not just in a straight line, where a non-Turbo 911 had little chance. However, it's pretty obvious to me that ANY example of an E55 wagon beating a 911 where turns are involved is an example of a 911 driver who has no idea of the limits of his car and is not skilled enough to explore them.

We need a valid comparo where someone reputable lines up the hot versions of the Cayenne, Jeep, and ML -- and then thrashes them to the limits on various tracks (dragstrip, road course, slalom, etc.) before making any blanket conclusions about which is "best" or "fastest".

In my case I'd never consider owning the Jeep OR the Cayenne; the ML63 is the only game in town for me for a variety of reasons. I don't really care how it compares to someone else's ride...
Old 01-03-2007, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Cool

Originally Posted by BoBcanada
+1 just like Z06 is!

I think there should be a pakage Z06 + SRT8 lol
You could probably have it for the price of a loaded CLS63.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you completely killed no one, my tires were dead.
your mad that you car gets killed up to 120 by a 45k$ american truck
your funny Im going to have to smoke you in your new porsche once and for all here to see. Im ready when you are cyka xyi sos
Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by brt3

In my case I'd never consider owning the Jeep OR the Cayenne; the ML63 is the only game in town for me for a variety of reasons. I don't really care how it compares to someone else's ride...

+1
Old 01-03-2007, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
your funny Im going to have to smoke you in your new porsche once and for all here to see. Im ready when you are cyka xyi sos
I'll take you up on that smoking lesson.. anytime pm me will set the details....
Old 01-03-2007, 05:41 PM

AMG ML63, M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe, New Audi TT, Audi R8 (coming)
Anyone who bases any serious comparison on anonymous information posted via the internet should consider the source. Unless you have more control over the situation -- similarly skilled drivers who are equally familiar with the operation of their machines -- these videos are useless.

For example, I used to consistently smoke 911 drivers while driving my E55 wagon -- and not just in a straight line, where a non-Turbo 911 had little chance. However, it's pretty obvious to me that ANY example of an E55 wagon beating a 911 where turns are involved is an example of a 911 driver who has no idea of the limits of his car and is not skilled enough to explore them.

We need a valid comparo where someone reputable lines up the hot versions of the Cayenne, Jeep, and ML -- and then thrashes them to the limits on various tracks (dragstrip, road course, slalom, etc.) before making any blanket conclusions about which is "best" or "fastest".

Very true. I've said it many times before about much faster cars, "it's not how fast you go, but how you go fast". I for one would be happy even if the ML63 was the slowest of its peers (which of course it isn't), since the way that it accelerates is a real pleasure to anyone who enjoys cars. Anyone that has driven one can attest to that.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by DoctorD
Very true. I've said it many times before about much faster cars, "it's not how fast you go, but how you go fast". I for one would be happy even if the ML63 was the slowest of its peers (which of course it isn't), since the way that it accelerates is a real pleasure to anyone who enjoys cars. Anyone that has driven one can attest to that.
What sold me -- besides the fact that it could do the things I need (fit my 6'7" frame, tow a trailer, occasionally haul the dog, and be an interesting piece of machinery) -- is that engine. A Porsche Cayenne does a spectacular job of maximizing what was originally Volkswagen hardware, but when AMG designed this engine (from the ground up, as I understand it) they REALLY nailed it. Good torque (great by most other standards, but I'm coming from an E55), great horsepower, loves to rev, flexible -- all that stuff is wonderful. The one thing that pushes me over the edge is the sound it makes when you nail the throttle. Eventually we'll all be driving silent Hydrogen/Electric/Hybrid vehicles. When that day comes, I will just have to figure out a way to record all the AMG sounds and play that soundtrack while driving my Government Mandated EcoBox...
Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline

mudak, molchat, ponel?
ya tebya v rot vieby.

your gf telling you (confirming) that i was catching up to you at a very fast rate that one time we raced (i didnt even know for sure we were racing and didnt launch or floor the car until i realised you did and you were already 2 cars or so ahead) wasnt enough? you want more?
Old 01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
What sold me -- besides the fact that it could do the things I need (fit my 6'7" frame, tow a trailer, occasionally haul the dog, and be an interesting piece of machinery) -- is that engine. A Porsche Cayenne does a spectacular job of maximizing what was originally Volkswagen hardware, but when AMG designed this engine (from the ground up, as I understand it) they REALLY nailed it. Good torque (great by most other standards, but I'm coming from an E55), great horsepower, loves to rev, flexible -- all that stuff is wonderful. The one thing that pushes me over the edge is the sound it makes when you nail the throttle. Eventually we'll all be driving silent Hydrogen/Electric/Hybrid vehicles. When that day comes, I will just have to figure out a way to record all the AMG sounds and play that soundtrack while driving my Government Mandated EcoBox...
Haha so true, i was acctually thinking the same not that long ago that goverment sooner or later will force out petrol engines and we gonan run on battaries or some other stuff!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
Haha so true, i was acctually thinking the same not that long ago that goverment sooner or later will force out petrol engines and we gonan run on battaries or some other stuff!
that will be the day i pack my **** and go a country that appreciates the smell of burning gasoline (and rubber )
Old 01-03-2007, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
that will be the day i pack my **** and go a country that appreciates the smell of burning gasoline (and rubber )
I'll join you lol That country would be RUSSIA they just dont give a ****.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Wow i just found this thread through the SRT8 forums, lots of replies to this. i am the driver of the srt8 in that video. i havent read all the replies in the thread but from what ive read so far there is alot of things unclear about the video.

Let me clear everything up. Both cars were warmed up. Jeep had about 350 miles on it, ML63 had a few thousand. Both cars were power braking with traction control off. Plain and simple the jeep launches hard off the line, way harder than the ML. We raced a few times and i kept winning off the line til about 110-120 where the ML63 would catch up. Up top the ML is the faster car as it should be with that much more horse power and torque, but after trying over and over again the ML would not launch hard, or at least not as hard as the jeep. We were both hard on the gas in that video. I let up of the gas as soon as his nosed passed by me at around 125mph. I honestly thought the Ml63 would do better.
And for all you that think this video doesnt prove anything or that there was driver error or whatever else you can make up. we will go out this weekend and film again and do a few different types of videos or curves or watever you wnat to prove it for real.... Any requests???
Old 01-03-2007, 07:53 PM

'07 ML63
I look fwd to your future videos. I've really enjoyed this discussion.
How about switching drivers for some of the races? (seriously). I can't help but think that the start should have been better for the ML63 driver. Did both drivers rev up before? Also, could the window open/turbulence be a factor (doubt it)???
Old 01-03-2007, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by BlackSRT8
Wow i just found this thread through the SRT8 forums, lots of replies to this. i am the driver of the srt8 in that video. i havent read all the replies in the thread but from what ive read so far there is alot of things unclear about the video.

Let me clear everything up. Both cars were warmed up. Jeep had about 350 miles on it, ML63 had a few thousand. Both cars were power braking with traction control off. Plain and simple the jeep launches hard off the line, way harder than the ML. We raced a few times and i kept winning off the line til about 110-120 where the ML63 would catch up. Up top the ML is the faster car as it should be with that much more horse power and torque, but after trying over and over again the ML would not launch hard, or at least not as hard as the jeep. We were both hard on the gas in that video. I let up of the gas as soon as his nosed passed by me at around 125mph. I honestly thought the Ml63 would do better.
And for all you that think this video doesnt prove anything or that there was driver error or whatever else you can make up. we will go out this weekend and film again and do a few different types of videos or curves or watever you wnat to prove it for real.... Any requests???
I love it! Thanks for posting....What say you now aka-peanut gallery ML63 owners start whining, protesting, bs, spreading now...

Edit: Do you have a link to your SRT site? I'd love to read the posts in reaction to these MBworld die hards denying reality. thanks...

Last edited by Thericker; 01-03-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:11 PM

Interlagos Blue 06 M5
Ditto. BlackSRT8 seems like a standup guy who's very humble in his well fought victory. Thanks for coming and clearing things up. Both are awesome cars period. I just can't stand it when someone loses or sees one of their own cars lose and starts making lame excuses.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 PM

As I mentioned before, I don't care too much about MY car vs. THEIR car. Both the ML63 and the SRT8 are great vehicles, but they are also pretty different. I'm sure most SRT8 owners think ML63 pricing is ridiculous, but it's such an apples and oranges argument that any bragging rights are pointless.

What I DON'T know about the ML63 might just fill a book. I've researched it extensively -- before placing my order -- but still haven't figured out a couple of things. That was one of the benefits of E55 ownership; a lot more owners out there and many more posts on the forum.

On the E55, for example, the car "learns" based on your driving style. Drive like a Grandma and the car will NOT be as fast when you stomp the GO pedal.

Another thing I liked on the E55 -- when you first shift out of PARK you can simply make one movement and hold the gear lever all the way on the left side of the shift gate for about 2-3 seconds. That ensures the most aggressive performance from the transmission.

Are there similar "tricks" on the ML63 to get the best performance out of the car?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I think the problem with launching of ml63 can be that it launches in 2nd gear, and you can engage 1st gear through the menu for a better launch. I dont have my ml63 yet but thats maybe the reason for a lousy launch. Correct me if im wrong!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo

Are there similar "tricks" on the ML63 to get the best performance out of the car?
That's what's funny here, it's a SUV TRUCK! not really a performance vehicle, unless you heavily mod it w/say a future Supercharger application...

You say on one hand you don't care about the straight line perf, but rather interior, cargo area, but now you ask about finding tricks to enhance it's straight line??
Here's one....sell it and buy an SL65

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jeep SRT8 vs. Mercedes ML63 from a stop