ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Jeep SRT8 vs. Mercedes ML63 from a stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
it was a late start for ML and thats about it.
We will see in the near furture.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by BlackSRT8
We will see in the near furture.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:18 AM

Interlagos Blue 06 M5
it was a late start for ML and thats about it.
Even if the ML gets the start that the you are looking for, it's a race that'll be no more than a car length or two difference in the end. Even the quarter mile times above prove likewise.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 S500, 05 Jeep GC, 06 Acura TL, 04 BMW 530i, 98 Jag xk8,
I didnt read thru this whole thread so i dont know if it was stated but if you listen closely to the audio in the video you hear the guy say you got a ****ty start..

Im lookin into an srt8 from my ML55 but my only problem is the Gas and Maintainence .. its a killer now for the AMGs
Old 01-04-2007, 10:20 AM

There have been two references to the relative quickness of these beasts that I have come across in reviews and tests. I believe that both gave the nod to the ML. I can only find one right now (below). I will try to remember the other. I also wonder if there are any tests of the SRT8 versus the Cayenne Turbo S as we have seen sources indicate the ML is quicker than the Cayenne. It would be interesting to see how the Turbo S fared.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...topanel..1.*#3

"Eats Porsches for lunch
We knew the ML63 was going to do well in our testing, but the numbers it posted had us thinking there might have been a hiccup in the test gear's software. Nope; everything checked out: This puppy is quick. We were especially eager to see how it fared against the 520-hp $132,000 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. Bottom line, it smoked the last Turbo S we tested by a half-second from zero to 60 and by almost 2 mph in the quarter-mile. The big Merc also bested the times we achieved with the 420-hp Jeep SRT8, arguably the only other sport-ute able to keep up with the powerful pair of Germans"
Old 01-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Eye_Candy
There have been two references to the relative quickness of these beasts that I have come across in reviews and tests. I believe that both gave the nod to the ML. I can only find one right now (below). I will try to remember the other. I also wonder if there are any tests of the SRT8 versus the Cayenne Turbo S as we have seen sources indicate the ML is quicker than the Cayenne. It would be interesting to see how the Turbo S fared.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...topanel..1.*#3

"Eats Porsches for lunch
We knew the ML63 was going to do well in our testing, but the numbers it posted had us thinking there might have been a hiccup in the test gear's software. Nope; everything checked out: This puppy is quick. We were especially eager to see how it fared against the 520-hp $132,000 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. Bottom line, it smoked the last Turbo S we tested by a half-second from zero to 60 and by almost 2 mph in the quarter-mile. The big Merc also bested the times we achieved with the 420-hp Jeep SRT8, arguably the only other sport-ute able to keep up with the powerful pair of Germans"
i have a friend who has a 2006 Cayenne Turbo and will be putting a chip on it soon to make it the same as the Cayenne Turbo S. He says he wants to race after he gets the chip. Wont race before then because he knows i will win. so i will try to film that also.

And in the video he does say he gets a ****ty launch but it wasnt his fault. Every time we raced it was the same way. He couldnt get it to launch good period. Or at least not close to the SRT8 launch...
Old 01-04-2007, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
i have a friend who has a 2006 Cayenne Turbo and will be putting a chip on it soon to make it the same as the Cayenne Turbo S. He says he wants to race after he gets the chip. Wont race before then because he knows i will win. so i will try to film that also.

And in the video he does say he gets a ****ty launch but it wasnt his fault. Every time we raced it was the same way. He couldnt get it to launch good period. Or at least not close to the SRT8 launch...
Cayenne Turbo S loses to ML63 ,so it will lose to SRT8 as well....
Old 01-04-2007, 12:20 PM

Interlagos Blue 06 M5
Isn't the engine in the SRT8 supposed to be a detuned version of the one in the Viper? Well, it looks like Dodge didn't do a very good job of "detuning" because imo, it's making alot more than 420 horses.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 PM

AMG ML63, M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe, New Audi TT, Audi R8 (coming)
I will try and convince him into letting me drive his car, but he is protective about it. i agree that would clear all stipulation about rivers.
both drivers did rev up and were in first gear.
windows would have a minimal effect on a race
BlackSRT8, do you have any idea if your ML friend was trying to launch his ML63 in 'manual' ? I made this comment earlier on in this thread, but for some reason I find the 'manual' mode really poor in the ML63. It's much quicker if you just leave the gearbox to change gears by itself.

To give you an example, if I disabled ESP in my ML63 and then floor it, I get wheelspin from the front axle - in the dry. Your friend's ML63 seemed more tame than I expected, or maybe the sound on the video isn't very good.

p.s. As far as acceleration times are concerned, the UK-based Autocar magazine tested an ML63 just last week and on a slippery surface recorded a 4.62 second 0-60 mph time, so I assume just as there are SRT8s that are quicker than spec, then the same thing is true of the ML63.

Either way I have no problems whichever car is faster, I always find it a hoot to drive a powerful SUV and I'm sure I'd enjoy the SRT8 too.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by brt3
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

From Wikipedia:

"In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, or off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others."

A perfect example is BlackSRT8 who is 'not' a troll, since he is adding to the discussion and sharing his insight from experience. We're all interested in what he has to say and the only reaction he has provoked is a positive one.

Thericker on the other hand seems to delight in nothing other than posting in an inflammatory manner... (just watch his reply to this)
Old 01-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Almost a Member!

E46 M3 & Jeep SRT8 E60 M5 on order
power braking the srt8 does not give it a better start. when the light turns green just mash the pedal. and yes the SRT8 is that fast some people can get a 4.3-4.4 0-60 time.

the only grip I have with the SRT8 is the live axle if independant suspension would be a better ride on rough roads and a little more feel in the steering wheel a little to light for my liking other than those two items it is an unbealivable bargin and looks good too.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by DoctorD
BlackSRT8, do you have any idea if your ML friend was trying to launch his ML63 in 'manual' ? I made this comment earlier on in this thread, but for some reason I find the 'manual' mode really poor in the ML63. It's much quicker if you just leave the gearbox to change gears by itself.

To give you an example, if I disabled ESP in my ML63 and then floor it, I get wheelspin from the front axle - in the dry. Your friend's ML63 seemed more tame than I expected, or maybe the sound on the video isn't very good.

p.s. As far as acceleration times are concerned, the UK-based Autocar magazine tested an ML63 just last week and on a slippery surface recorded a 4.62 second 0-60 mph time, so I assume just as there are SRT8s that are quicker than spec, then the same thing is true of the ML63.

Either way I have no problems whichever car is faster, I always find it a hoot to drive a powerful SUV and I'm sure I'd enjoy the SRT8 too.
Some people on our site have dyno'd their cars and are coming it at somewhere around these Numbers for a stock SRT8:

Stock = 353 hp (5900 rpm) & 336 tq (4958 rpm) AWHP

Some numbers are different becuase of dyno machines but that will just give you an idea. I dont know what that would compute to in actual crank power though.
Through my experience alot of manufacturers do underrate the actual HP of a car just to be safe. I think this is the case with both the SRT8 and ML63.

My friend was not in "manual" but in "sport" and let it shift on its own. We will try and just leave it in D and see how it does. I would imagine it would be faster in sport tho. One thing we did notice is how damn fast the ML63 shifts. thats where it started to pick up speed on me because the SRT8 tranny is not the quickest shifting thing out let me tell you.

Also the SRT8 engine is not a detuned Viper engine. The Viper engine is a V10. Ours is a V8, whole different engine really. Same concept when it was designed but you cant compare a V8 to a V10.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by F10 M5
power braking the srt8 does not give it a better start. when the light turns green just mash the pedal. and yes the SRT8 is that fast some people can get a 4.3-4.4 0-60 time.

the only grip I have with the SRT8 is the live axle if independant suspension would be a better ride on rough roads and a little more feel in the steering wheel a little to light for my liking other than those two items it is an unbealivable bargin and looks good too.
we even have some people posting 4.17 0-60 stock with a G-Tech and pictures to verify their times. That is probably at sea level but still pretty amazing. Some poeple that have dyno'd their cars are having different number come out too. one post i read said that 2 srt8's were dyno on the same day and both were stock and at the same shop. they came in with a 20 HP difference. im sure you all have heard of the same cars being faster just from the factory because one was just simply built bettter than the other or broken in better but 20HP is alot. I just hope i got a fast one from the factory!!
Old 01-04-2007, 03:07 PM

Somewhat off topic but interesting. Here is the Jeep nudging out the Turbo S:

http://www.straight-six.com/neue/ftl...emium_SUVs.php
Old 01-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Eye_Candy
Somewhat off topic but interesting. Here is the Jeep nudging out the Turbo S:

http://www.straight-six.com/neue/ftl...emium_SUVs.php
i like that article haha
Old 01-04-2007, 04:02 PM

we even have some people posting 4.17 0-60 stock with a G-Tech and pictures to verify their times. That is probably at sea level but still pretty amazing.
Wow, that IS impressive.

I read on another thread posted by a CLS63 owner who dynoed his engine at 414 RWHP. Obviously the ML63 will have greater transmission losses due to its 4WD, but that would seem to validate the 510hp crank figure is you assume the usual 18-22% losses.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Wow, that IS impressive.
Obviously the ML63 will have greater transmission losses due to its 4WD, but that would seem to validate the 510hp crank figure is you assume the usual 18-22% losses.
Isnt SRT8 also 4wd? Or im missing somthing here?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, but that's not in our favor. We disregard all facts that don't help us and only pick and choose.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Wow, that IS impressive.

I read on another thread posted by a CLS63 owner who dynoed his engine at 414 RWHP. Obviously the ML63 will have greater transmission losses due to its 4WD, but that would seem to validate the 510hp crank figure is you assume the usual 18-22% losses.
My only posts that were considered by you and 1 other to be duragatory, were mearly in defense of my earlier valid points "On Topic" I might add...

Anyhow I'm over it......Back on topic 1 thing I forgot about your Ml's as well as G55's & SRT's if when dynoing and using 4 wheel drive to capture these numbers, Your tranny losses will be far greater than 18-22%....

If I remember correctly Ted Baldwin, w/highly modded G55 was estimating around 26-28% loss or more, for an all wheel drive Dyno loss precentage...

So your vehicles though heavy do perform very well in the car world, and are probably packin' much more crank HP than factory claims...

Maybe do a search on Ted's G55 to find his results as I said earlier my memory on this isn't 100%

Old 01-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
But I believe Ted's G55 had the 5sp, while these are all the new 7sp?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by vraa
But I believe Ted's G55 had the 5sp, while these are all the new 7sp?
True but the AWD dyno still sucks more power due to the 4x4 system splitting & delivering the power to all wheels instead of just 2, having said that I believe there will be even more losses w/7speed Auto

The new auto 6 speed A6 on the C6's is brutaly fast (great final gear ratio's) but is laying down extremely anemic hp Torque levels compared to the A4 Auto and M6 manual.. there off by as much as 25 rwhp & = torque on the A6...

Just food for thought..

Last edited by Thericker; 01-04-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:41 PM

Yes, sorry I was unclear. What I was trying to say was that clearly the ML63 would not record 414hp at the wheels (as the CLS63 had done), hence I didn't want to suggest that we should compare 414bhp with the 353hp that BlackSRT8 mentioned was possible in the Jeep.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Thericker

If I remember correctly Ted Baldwin, w/highly modded G55 was estimating around 26-28% loss or more, for an all wheel drive Dyno loss precentage...
Correct. That's about what I would normally use as a correction factor. Some of the best I've seen are from the Porsche 911 which can be 14-15%, hence the reason they often punch above the stated power figure.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
S63 COUPE M157
Originally Posted by AMG_55

mudak, molchat, ponel?
ya tebya v rot vieby.

lop;p
Rebyata, da vy che?

I would take ML63 over the Jeep even for 50k more.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by GMBALL
Rebyata, da vy che?

I would take ML63 over the Jeep even for 50k more.
I might too, if i had another 50k. I guess im just not balla yet. For now its fun kickin *** in the cheap Jeep.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jeep SRT8 vs. Mercedes ML63 from a stop