ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

EZ Pass location ML63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EZ Pass location ML63

I think this was discussed before but does the EZ Pass module work when placed to the direct right or left of the rear view mirrior on the ML63. I just learned that there are three areas free of ther UV coating. L/R of rear view mirrior and at the bottom straight below. I am trying to avoid the lower position because of visability issues.
Has anyone had success with the R/L rear view mirrior posiitons?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Almost a Member!

I had no luck with putting the transponder to the left or right of the mirror. It wouldn't register when I went through the toll area. I got one that fits on the front bumper. Works great.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:33 AM

2012 C63 Black Series Coupe
Originally Posted by michaelt
I think this was discussed before but does the EZ Pass module work when placed to the direct right or left of the rear view mirrior on the ML63. I just learned that there are three areas free of ther UV coating. L/R of rear view mirrior and at the bottom straight below. I am trying to avoid the lower position because of visability issues.
Yes, those are the three positions that work for either toll transponders or radar/lidar detectors. I saw this in my owner's manual but didn't believe it, as there didn't appear to be any visible difference. However, if you get the car outside -- preferably on a hazy or cloudy day -- you can see (though you may have to change your point of view a few times to make this work) the "cutouts" in the coating Mercedes uses on the windscreens.

I think it's silly that you have to work so hard to figure this out. It would be nice -- since MB-USA has no problems covering my interior with yellow & black WARNING! stickers -- if they could ship the cars with discrete labels on the windshield that indicate precisely where these areas are located.

My V1 seems to work well where I have placed it -- just to the left of the rear view mirror. I was a little concerned about the "dot-matrix style" shading placed directly behind the mirror, as there is barely enough room to fit the detection "lens" of the V1 into a spot that has both the "cutout" AND none of the dot-shading. IMHO, the dot-shading would impair the lidar performance...
Old 04-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Almost a Member!

The upper left position snug against the mirrior works for the EZ Pass badge.
Thanks for the input
Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 PM

audi mb bmw
anyone have a picture of where the working placement is for the EZ Pass on the ML?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 C55 AMG; '07 ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by masmole
anyone have a picture of where the working placement is for the EZ Pass on the ML?
Once you know where to look and what to look for, it is relatively easy to see the "clear zones" on the windshield. Given where they are, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out whether to bother trying to use my trusty V-1. For various reasons, I don't want to try to mount it in the lower center clear zone, and both of the upper zones appear to me to be too small to accommodate the unit. My wife tells me that I might just have to suck it up and "drive the speed limit." No way.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by smackjack
Once you know where to look and what to look for, it is relatively easy to see the "clear zones" on the windshield. Given where they are, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out whether to bother trying to use my trusty V-1.
My V1 just barely fits; if I can remove the auxilliary sunvisor (the extra one underneath the main one) I think I can move it up slightly where the sensor is 100% in the clear zone. Right now about 80% of the V1 sensor is in the clear zone.

As it is it does work, but I'm not sure if my range is compromised. We have two V1s; it would be interesting to compare the range in the ML63 against my "work truck" Honda Element -- which seems to have nothing on the windscreen...
Old 04-27-2007, 04:29 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by brt3
My V1 just barely fits; if I can remove the auxilliary sunvisor (the extra one underneath the main one) I think I can move it up slightly where the sensor is 100% in the clear zone. Right now about 80% of the V1 sensor is in the clear zone.

As it is it does work, but I'm not sure if my range is compromised. We have two V1s; it would be interesting to compare the range in the ML63 against my "work truck" Honda Element -- which seems to have nothing on the windscreen...
I've looked it over, and I just don't like that mounting spot, so I may reluctantly opt for a new radar detector option. Too bad. I've been using V-1's for many years, and in my experience, nothing else compares. Oh, well, at least I can still use it in my C55.

Interesting note on a minor irritant: I believe that the UV windshield greatly diminishes the effective range of the garage door opener, which is contained in the rear-view mirror assembly. There is a noticeable difference between the "working" distance of the garage door opener in the ML63 and my C55, and the effective range is much shorter than what I experienced in the 2005 ML500 that I traded in for the ML63. The ML63 garage door opener will not trigger my garage door unless the truck is virtually in the driveway, whereas my C55 and my former ML500 would both trigger the garage door from 40-50 yards away.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
Radar/Laser Detector/Diffuser options for ML63

Smackjack:
When considering your options for radar detectors other than the V1 / Passport / Bel that are all interior windshield mounted, you may want to also consider the concealed versions with remote detectors mounted behind the front grille and rear bumper. These systems are more expensive but IMO, worth it if you drive any distance and through various states that use different types of radar and/or laser detection. The ballpark installed costs range from $1,500 - $2,100.
Couple of thoughts:
The 2007 ML63 that I have on order as an April/May production has all options except for the Distronic. While I like the concept of Distronic I have been told by other M-B Owner's who have it that it is not compatible with their radar detectors, especially those that are concealed behind the front grille. The radar frequencey used by the newer Distronic Plus radar-controlled cruise control that is fitted on all 2007 M-B models uses the Ka band which happens to be the most commonly used band for police radar. For those M-B Owner's who have Distronic Plus as a fitted option on their vehicles will have problems using radar detectors since turning off Distronic does not turn off its radar, thus causing constant false readings from your detector system.

Also, FYI - After having researched (to death...) the various radar/laser detector/defuser systems, I have decided to have the K40 CALIBRE wireless (bluetooth) system installed in my new ML63 once I take delivery of it in June. As another MBWorld member suggested (CMCJO), where he had the same system installed by his M-B Dealer on his new M-B GL, I will have the K40's blue LED lights mounted behind the translucent directional indicator lights inside the instrument cluster. The directional signals will continue to be usable with the same color as original, but now when the K40 system is on and it detects radar/laser the directional blinkers will blink blue to indicate radar or laser detection, (right blinker for rear radar and left blinker for front), augmented by the audio warning. All of this prevents me from having to have any holes drilled in the instrument cluster, which none of us really wants to do. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to pursue.

AVB-AMG
Old 04-28-2007, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by smackjack
Interesting note on a minor irritant: I believe that the UV windshield greatly diminishes the effective range of the garage door opener, which is contained in the rear-view mirror assembly.
My wife's LS460L will open both of our garage doors from the bottom of our driveway, some 120 feet away. My ML63 opener has to be within 20 feet of the door to work, and the same goes for our front gate. This may sound stupid to German Engineers, but it makes you feel very frustrated that such a simple concept is operationally subpar.

Regarding Distronic, it doesn't interfere with my V1 in any of the three sensitivity modes. Perhaps the proximity between a grille-mounted detector is such that the Distronic triggers it, but I've had no issues so far...
Old 04-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Regarding Distronic, it doesn't interfere with my V1 in any of the three sensitivity modes. Perhaps the proximity between a grille-mounted detector is such that the Distronic triggers it, but I've had no issues so far...
I don't have Distronic, so I have no first-hand experience there, but I thought that I had read that it interferes with even windshield-mounted units like the V-1. I may have misread someone's post on that issue, though.

Is there a rumour out there that Distronic is being discontinued? I have always felt that the liability exposure for Daimler-Chrysler would be enormous as a result of Distronic, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it go bye-bye.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by michaelt
Why don't you use a license plate EZ-Pass tag? It is free and it will solve your problem.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Almost a Member!

I understand the problem exists with "Distronic Plus" only, which uses K-band.