Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C55
ML55 ?s

hello,

I think I want a ML55 and was just woundering what anyone can tell me about them? like any years better than others, any major problems with them? I have a 07 C230 sport sedan and love it but it just seems I always need a truck or at least something that can tow a trailer.

thanks for any help

Mark
Old 06-03-2007, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
i suggest you get a 500. my dad had a 55 and there were many problems with it. i dunno if they were specific to the 55 or 163's in general, although he had a 430 and a 320 before and they didnt have (nearly as many) problems.

nothing beats doing 145 w/ 4 people on board and the "trunk" filled with fishing gear @ 3500+ft

tough choice
Old 06-03-2007, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I suggest you get x5 4.6 or 4.8 much better ride! Had Ml55 for about 2.5 years but after test driving my friends BMW 4.6 my ML55 seemed like a outdated car lol
Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
^definitely a better choice

i dunno how much youre looking to spend or how much 164 350's are but that would be my first choice, its really a great suv
Old 06-04-2007, 01:02 AM

audi mb bmw
I agree with what the others said. Skip the ML55. Unlike the W164, the W163 in general is garbage when compared to the 1st generation E53 X5 (sorry to offend the faithful W163 owners out there but I'm just stating fact). I have many friends/family with various versions of the W163 from ML320's, 350's, 430's, 500's, 55amg's and not one of them had a positive ownership experience. Most of them dumped the car for an X5 or something else, and those that did keep it longer certainly didn't enjoy the car all that much. I don't recall anyone ever hold any of their former vehicles in high regard. And more often than not, they were referred to as "the worst car I've ever owned". For similar money, get a used X5 4.6 or better yet, a 4.8is for a little more, or even a 2004 X5 4.4i's with the 325hp motor (year of major model refreshing) would be a good choice. Unless of course you absolutely have to have a truck with the 3-pointed star and the amg badge.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by masmole
I agree with what the others said. Skip the ML55. Unlike the W164, the W163 in general is garbage when compared to the 1st generation E53 X5 (sorry to offend the faithful W163 owners out there but I'm just stating fact). I have many friends/family with various versions of the W163 from ML320's, 350's, 430's, 500's, 55amg's and not one of them had a positive ownership experience. Most of them dumped the car for an X5 or something else, and those that did keep it longer certainly didn't enjoy the car all that much. I don't recall anyone ever hold any of their former vehicles in high regard. And more often than not, they were referred to as "the worst car I've ever owned". For similar money, get a used X5 4.6 or better yet, a 4.8is for a little more, or even a 2004 X5 4.4i's with the 325hp motor (year of major model refreshing) would be a good choice. Unless of course you absolutely have to have a truck with the 3-pointed star and the amg badge.
I agree. I dumped a W163 for a 4.8is and never looked back. FAR superior vehicle in fit, finish, and reliability, great performer, comes out of the box pretty much fully loaded, and has free service during the warranty period. I'm tempted by the ML63, but I love the 4.8 so much, I just cant justify getting rid of it.

Yet.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:41 AM

audi mb bmw
Originally Posted by v8plus4
I agree. I dumped a W163 for a 4.8is and never looked back. FAR superior vehicle in fit, finish, and reliability, great performer, comes out of the box pretty much fully loaded, and has free service during the warranty period. I'm tempted by the ML63, but I love the 4.8 so much, I just cant justify getting rid of it.

Yet.
I had an imola red '04 X5 4.8is for 2 years that I enjoyed very much. It was a great vehicle with good power and excellent handling for a car its size and in many ways very similar to the ML63 except of course in straight line acceleration. I admit that the only reason I got rid of such a great truck is because I am a vain and superficial person that often has to have the latest and greatest thing to hit the market. It's an affliction that I'm sure I share with many here.

Anyhow, apologies to mdf27 for going off-topic from your original inquiry regarding the ML55. After re-reading some of the posts including mine, I have to say that maybe the W163 ML55 isn't as bad as this thread might lead you to believe.... it's just that there are many other better options what ever makes you happy.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Almost a Member!

06 C55
well thanks for all the info, I really wanted to stay with MB as I drive a 07 C230 sport and love the thing but it may have to go. I'm trying to get down to 1 daily driver cause it seems i'm always needing to through something in the car so I get stuck driving my Land Rover I know about the land rovers hahaha... I'm a tech so it's not so bad for me cause I do all work and not to mention everyone gives them away cause there worth nothing. Just trying to find something a little more like a car but with the room of a suv and maybe with a little better gas mileage then the rover, I know ML's are not that much better, I will check out the BMW's.

thanks
Mark
Old 06-04-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
Originally Posted by masmole
mdf27(Mark):
I have to agree with Masmole on his suggestion to go with the BMW X5 instead of the M-B ML55, based on my experience. I have owned two brilliant silver V-8 engined BMW X5's: a '01 X5 4.4i followed by the updated/refreshed '04 X5 4.4i, both with full BMW aerodynamic body kits and sports package. I think they were the best looking and best handling SUV available at that time. Both vehicles had excellent build quality and provided a consistently smooth and confident highway driving experience. For the money, they are clearly the better vehicle for those years vs. the ML55. A neighbor had a ML430 and sold it after two years due to far too many problems with it. I leased both of my BMW X5's and when I returned them at the end of lease period with approx. 36K miles, the dealer was able to sell both with their full Certified-Used Warrantee, something that I highly recommend for any used car purchase.

(The reason I did not get a 2007 BMW X5 is that the increase in the vehicle's size without truely increasing the engine hp resulted in a less fun to drive vehicle. Something that would easily remedied by just dropping in the BMW V10 engine and selecting the recently announced "M package". Something that they are probably waiting to do on next year's X6 release.... Alas, having enjoyed and been thoroughly spoiled by my '04 M-B E55 made me decide that I wanted to replicate as much as possible in a mid-size SUV, the thrill of brute force acceleration that only the ML63 AMG can currently provide...)

BTW, I finally received the call this afternoon from my Mercedes-Benz Dealer thay my long-awaited new 2007 ML63 just arrived at the dealership. I will take delivery this coming Sat. and will post pics once I have a chance to take some. On Sunday, I will drive my fully cleaned and detailed 1961 M-B 190SL to a Mercedes-Benz Club of America local NJ meet, resulting in a full Mercedes weekend!

AVB-AMG
Old 06-05-2007, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
^
congrats, great truck
Old 06-05-2007, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
I suggest you get x5 4.6 or 4.8 much better ride! Had Ml55 for about 2.5 years but after test driving my friends BMW 4.6 my ML55 seemed like a outdated car lol
+1

The 4.6iS is a super vehicle, rare and the 20s on it look great.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:17 AM

1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
Wheels

I have to admit that the size and style of the OME 20" wheels on both the BMW X5 4.6 and 4.8 are still some of the best looking wheels ever on a SUV. They make those vehicles look like they can go much faster than they actually can.... When I had my X5's I was tempted to get a set of four as an option but the $4,000 total installed cost from my BMW dealer was just too steep.

AVB-AMG
Old 06-05-2007, 11:04 AM

01 ML55, 91 Supra Turbo, 05 Audi S4
I have a 01 ML55 and have had many problems with it to this day, I do love the truck and the power, but it can be a daunting task to keep it running without little annoying and quite expensive things breaking...,some owners have had no problems with theirs, I do understand that the later models were less trouble than the earlier ones. say 2002 or 2003 those ML55's seem to have most the bugs worked out.....Good luck!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Wow, well after owning an ML55 and giving it the abuse I have, I know they can be reliable...

If you compare on performance numbers alone, the difference between a 4.6 and ML55 isnt enough to justify the difference in price. I have plenty of friends with X5s and have had my fair share of driving time in them... 3.0 and 4.4... and I will tell you the 55 is more comfortable, IMO. It has more room in it for passengers as well.

As for reliability? As far as the 55 goes...for the most part was immune to MANY of the gremlins that were apparent in the 320s and 430s. To be sure you have the very best of quality look for an 02 or 03 ML55

As for reliability with the X5... I do know of one nasty little gremlin it has, that I saw first hand... there is a small group of the newer X5s(not brand new one) that had faulty airbags. A very good friend of mine had the airbags blow just waiting at a stoplight... After doing some research I found a class action suit in FL where two other owners were involved
Old 06-13-2007, 11:26 PM

ML55
I bought a 2000 ML55 for fun (4th vehicle) @79k miles. I was just browing through craigslist and the ML55 caught my eye.

I didn't think I would drive it much, but I drive it almost everyday. It's not my fastest, but it's comfortable and has great torque.

It appears there were a lot of dealer visits early in its life, but from about 54k miles, there have been minimal issues. I think mine is pretty well sorted out and hopfully will stay reliable for me. It's been perfect so far (with exception to the BAS/ESP lights).
Old 06-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Almost a Member!

06 C55
is there any better years of the 55s to look for? from what I know they were produced from 00 to 03 is there any difference? also did they all come with about the same options?

thanks guys for all your help

Mark
Old 06-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
they came standard with almost everything... only options were different accesories that were available and the designo color package
Old 07-05-2007, 10:37 PM

01 ML55, 05 Jaguar X type, 05 mini Cooper convertible, 03 VW Eurovan
I know I'm new to the forum but for what it's worth my 01 ML55 has been great for the approximate year I have had it. I had looked for a one owner decent mileage one for a while and when this one came up I jumped on it. The dealer here I use in St Louis (Tri-Star) has been great. The first time into the parts dept. they ran the full service history for me (It had alays been at a competitor but they suggested that I might find it handy so they printed it out for me) and were extremely helpful with getting the Nav Cds. I had to put about $1500 into painting the hood (smalll chips) and other minor cosmetic stuff. It replaced an E34 M5 and does everything I can ask of it to include pulling the boat. I have two Porsches and an M3 and I drive the ML pretty much all the time. It's amazing to me how much these ML forums sound like you are on a BMW board. I'm sure the X5 is great but after owning 8 BMWs, 5 Audis, and 6 Porsches in the last 20+ years and having this as my first Benz I have to say I like it enough that I am looking for an E55 right now too replace the M3. For $70K I could never afford one but for the $20K I have in it I don't know of a more fun truck. A new exhaust, lowering an inch, and vented rotors are on the horizon.

Steve
Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 AM

All of them!
Anyone who calls the ML a car is shopping in the wrong store and unable to make an qualified judgement, they are oranges and apples. The X5 is a car and the ML55 is a truck. X5 rides like a car and handles well for it's higher truck like center of gravity, and the ML55 rides and handles great for a truck. The X5 (and new ML/GL as well) is lighter due to a unibody construction compared to the indestructible but heavy fully boxed frame of the ML.
My ML55 is the best "truck" I have owned. If I want a car, (which I do prefer) I'll drive a car (which I do). When I need truck or family hauling utility stuff, I use the truck (ML55). The wife drives the ML most of the time and says she feels safer in it.
Yes, I have had a few issues, balljoints, window switch, brake light switch, torsion bars squeaks, etc. X5's have issues too!
I work on both M.B. and BMW and see more problems and higher repair costs, part for part, with the BMW's.
Mine is at 120K hard miles and climbing. No major repairs.
The ML55 is the one vehicle I have that will do anything I can throw at it and in one shot if nec. I have added third row to mine so that is a seven passenger vehicle as well. If I had to have just one vehicle the ML55 would be it
The bottom line is drive both and see what YOU are happy with, a car or a truck. whichever you chose, have it thoroughly inspected and get a carfax on it.
Good luck and enjoy whichever you chose for YOUR reasons.
BTW, I think the X5 looks prettier, esp. w/ the 4.8 w. sport pkge. The new ML is better looking as well. I have never "loved" the 163's looks, just bought it because of the utility and value, and have never been disappointed. No regrets still.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Almost a Member!

06 C55
I made my mind up a while ago i'm still looking for a ML55 I had enough with the BMWs they are nice I just perfer the Benz.

mbenzman? how hard was it to add the third row seating and what did you do with the spare? I would love the thrid row with 2 kids a wife grand mothers and friends those extra seats come in handy. I have a land rover discovery and was going to upgrade to a newer model with thrid row but I just like the MLs better. the land rovers are really like trucks and I'm sick of having something with no power.

Mark
Old 07-06-2007, 09:55 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by mdf27
I made my mind up a while ago i'm still looking for a ML55 I had enough with the BMWs they are nice I just perfer the Benz.

mbenzman? how hard was it to add the third row seating and what did you do with the spare? I would love the thrid row with 2 kids a wife grand mothers and friends those extra seats come in handy. I have a land rover discovery and was going to upgrade to a newer model with thrid row but I just like the MLs better. the land rovers are really like trucks and I'm sick of having something with no power.

Mark
It was very time consuming. It took about a day because I swapped pieces with a ML from a car dealers inventory and $1K. cash. No regrets as it just made it a more usefull 7 passenger vehicle.
The spare can be hung on the rear in the hitch (which I had installed using the factory ML55 specific hitch kit. I bought another full size AMG rim and tire to mount for a spare. The spare folds rearwards to allow the rear door to swing up. This mount also still allows trailer towing as it simply extends the hitch reciever rearward. I had an ulpholstery shop make a vinyl cover.
I also installed the bose tweeters front and rear that were available since 2002 (mine is a 01).
Here's some pictures from the transformation. The donor is in the is also in a picture if you look closely.

Last edited by mbenzman; 07-06-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Almost a Member!

06 C55
nice job

give me something to think about....now I just have to find a 55

mark
Old 07-08-2007, 04:35 PM

ML55
Old 07-09-2007, 10:39 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by mdf27
nice job

give me something to think about....now I just have to find a 55

mark
It actually looks better that the pics, since I've had time to make it nicer. I just haven't taken any more current pictures. The setup works well, but no one wants the rear, the doubters want to drive, so I take the third row and a cooler, A 6' adult can be fine in the leather third row buckets.
I get questions from the family about it after they drive it themselves with seven people luggage a/c on and steep mountain roads. It never wheezes or has to downshift even to maintain 90 mph uphill!Awesome, just wait til I give it some F.I.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Almost a Member!

I have had a ML55 Designo since new in 2001 and I never had any problems with it. It actually still looks and drives like new: I am considering keeping it another three or four years.

While I had the ML55, I also simultaneously had a 4.4 X5 for a year.

The ML is based on a truck chasis while the X5 is a unibody, which makes it much more car like.

My dream SUV at that time would have been the Designo interior and the X5 engine with the AMG gearbox and bodystyle!

Buy either of these SUV and you’ll be happy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ML55 ?s