ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Anyone else find ESP not being defeatable anoying?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:34 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw m3
Anyone else find ESP not being defeatable anoying?

Just wondering if anyone finds the fact the the ESP never really turns off bothersome. I think its especially relevant to those who use their car in the winter, when to spin out of snow banks you need the ESP to be completely off.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Jo

2011 ML63
oh I would love to turn it off. Where is the switch? Wishful thinking.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
there's a code to turn off everything off but it also disables the abs tho! I had fun drifting without any nannys in my ML350!

It called dyno mode.

Search for dyno mode on this forum.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Almost a Member!

bmw m3
i'm going to try it out this afternoon (dyno mode), but i think its ridiculous you lose all the electronics when you want the esp off. can you confirm whether it goes back into normal mode after you restart the car, or do you have to manually put it back?

i think this its pretty stupid you cant turn off the system. its pretty easy to get stuck in any deep snow as the system continually cuts in stopping your momentum. for an suv, its a pretty big oversight on their part.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by ajmamg
i'm going to try it out this afternoon (dyno mode), but i think its ridiculous you lose all the electronics when you want the esp off. can you confirm whether it goes back into normal mode after you restart the car, or do you have to manually put it back?

i think this its pretty stupid you cant turn off the system. its pretty easy to get stuck in any deep snow as the system continually cuts in stopping your momentum. for an suv, its a pretty big oversight on their part.
Are you sure it's a big oversight? You said it yourself: It's an SUV. In our overly-litigious society, I'm not sure MB is stupid for not putting a full ESP off option on a tall, heavy SUV.

That said, I want a full ESP off too. You're lucky you even have the dyno mode option because I don't. I think dyno mode must be turned off manually as well.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Almost a Member!

bmw m3
i meant its an SUV as in why do I need "off road mode" and "vehicle descent control" in a car that is useless in a deep snowbank. its true that they are probably avoiding some liability, but lets be serious, you can turn off stability control systems in virtually any other car from a ford taurus to a porsche carrera gt, which is capable of getting you into a lot more trouble than the ml63. if it is a liability issue, they've obviously come to grips with it as the c63 will come with a full esp off function.

im actually a little hesitant to turn on dyno mode, since the menu is kind of hard to find and i dont want to get stuck with it on.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:20 PM

07 ML63 Silver Dead at 85k, 14 RS5, 05 SL600
I don't think it has to do with litigation. MB offers a true ESP off feature on the new C63. If you hit the brake however, the ESP returns fully. I think on the ML it might be similar. Off is just turned down and full on is just a brake pedal away. I will say that with true snows on all 4 wheels I had absolutely no problem at all in haevy snow and ice. Even trying to overdrive was kinda fun as the nanny kept everything in a straight line. So I don't think a true off feature is as necessary on a 4 wheel drive as on a 2 wheel drive. It could be fun but I expect a lot of folks could get into some serious grief.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
On my 02 ml55 ESP switched off completely and with Winters on It was one of the best fun drift vehicles I had I miss it in winters! I had so much control and grip with that! It was totally fun!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Jo

2011 ML63
I am aware of the Dyno mode as well but you have to go through the same the process to get out of it. I just want a switch that will not effect the abs. I am sure someone may be able to create some kind of a by pass switch......
Old 02-22-2014, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
not to mention with Dyno mode, the power steering is deactivated.