ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Facelifted ML63!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300W4 Sport, 2006 Honda CBR600F4i
amazing looking car!!! just i really hope that isnt the real interior, the nav screen looks like crap and why would they go smaller.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 PM

2007 Corvette Z06/2011 BMW M3
too much going on.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
2009 ML63 AMG Face-Lift (Observations & Opinions)

I visited the NY Auto Show last night and was very curious to see for myself the face-lifted 2009 M-B ML 63 AMG. As an owner of a 2007 ML63, that I have put approx. 13,500 miles on since June 2007, I really do enjoy the vehicle in all aspects, aesthetic, performance, and all round operation. Other than the actual, less-than-optimal gas mileage (12 mpg city / 18 mpg highway), the vehicle has met or exceeded my expectations. I think the '07 ML63 was, and after seeing the minor face-lift changtes to the '09 model, still is the best looking performance SUV, compared to the BMW, Porsche, Range Rover and Jeep.

At the NY Auto Show, I was most disappointed with the new exterior front and rear chrome underpanels on the face-lifted 2009 ML63 AMG. IMO, they create a most unfortunate "bling" factor that the vehicle does not need and detracts from the cleaner lines and monochromatic appearance of the previous body-colored front and rear underpanels. Also, in the front they made the previously body-colored "belt" bar where the license plate would be located, a matte black color that begins to give the front end a very "Audi style/appearance" that I personally do not care for.

The minor modifications that I do like and are a real improvement include:
- LED tail lights (much better design and brings the ML up to current industry standards in tail lamp lighting)
- Red Reflectors in rear bumper (a practical safety feature that looks good as well. Similar to what the BMW X5 has)
- Larger exterior rear view mirrors (an improvement for rear visability with larger turn signal lights embedded in the casing)

The other minor modifications that don't really impact the vehicle's appearance, practicality, function and therefore seem to deserve the "why bother...." question, include:
- Minor wheel style changes (I prefer the original design better)
- Headlights silhouette (no big deal)
- Steering wheel (spokes changed; I wonder if the wood wheel is still available as an option?)
- Rear seat entertainment option (no longer integrated into the back of the headrests, but separate LED screens that are attached to the back of the headrests and IMO look very much like an after-market addition, most unfortunate...).

I agree with some of the earlier posts and strongly suggest people see the vehicle themselves, if possible, and not just rely on the posted photographs, before making your final judgement. For example, the chrome front and rear underpanels are much more pronounced and "louder" in reality than any of the photos here indicate.
In the end, I still think the ML63 AMG is an excellent vehicle for anyone who needs to travel with room for four people and their stuff, while not wanting to sacrifice smile-inducing acceleration, performance, engine sound and fun of driving, along with all of the advantages of owning a Mercedes-Benz!

AVB-AMG
Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 AM

Face-lifted 2009 ML63 AMG (Observations & Opinions)

I visited the NY Auto Show last night and was very curious to see for myself the face-lifted 2009 M-B ML 63 AMG. As an owner of a 2007 ML63, that I have put approx. 13,500 miles on since June 2007, I really do enjoy the vehicle in all aspects, aesthetic, performance, and all round operation. Other than the actual, less-than-optimal gas mileage (12 mpg city / 18 mpg highway), the vehicle has met or exceeded my expectations. I think the '07 ML63 was, and after seeing the minor face-lift changtes to the '09 model, still is the best looking performance SUV, compared to the BMW, Porsche, Range Rover and Jeep.

At the NY Auto Show, I was most disappointed with the new exterior front and rear chrome underpanels on the face-lifted 2009 ML63 AMG. IMO, they create a most unfortunate "bling" factor that the vehicle does not need and detracts from the cleaner lines and monochromatic appearance of the previous body-colored front and rear underpanels. Also, in the front they made the previously body-colored "belt" bar where the license plate would be located, a matte black color that begins to give the front end a very "Audi style/appearance" that I personally do not care for.

- LED tail lights (much better design and brings the ML up to current industry standards in tail lamp lighting)
- Red Reflectors in rear bumper (a practical safety feature that looks good as well. Similar to what the BMW X5 has)
- Larger exterior rear view mirrors (an improvement for rear visability with larger turn signal lights embedded in the casing)

The other minor modifications that don't really impact the vehicle's appearance, practicality, function and therefore seem to deserve the "why bother...." question, include:
- Steering wheel (spokes changed; I wonder if the wood wheel is still available as an option?)
- Rear seat entertainment option (no longer integrated into the back of the headrests, but separate LED screens that are attached to the back of the headrests and IMO look very much like an after-market addition, most unfortunate...).

I agree with some of the earlier posts and strongly suggest people see the vehicle themselves, if possible, and not just rely on the posted photographs, before making your final judgement. For example, the chrome front and rear underpanels are much more pronounced and "louder" in reality than any of the photos here indicate.

In the end, I still think the ML63 AMG is an excellent vehicle for anyone who needs to travel with room for four people and their stuff, while not wanting to sacrifice smile-inducing acceleration, performance, engine sound and fun of driving, along with all of the advantages of owning a Mercedes-Benz!

AVB-AMG
Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
Originally Posted by AVB-AMG

AVB-AMG
Nice write up.
Its a shame they didnt bring it to the 08 Geneva Int Car Show. I am heading to NY tomorrow so hopefully in the ten days im there ill have time to go check it out. Does anyone know when the show ends??
Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 PM

2008 New York International Auto Show

Elijah:

Thank you for your compliment.
The last day of The New York International Auto Show is Sunday, March 30th.

Here is a link to the show's web site for basic information. Have fun!

http://www.autoshowny.com/show

AVB-AMG
Old 03-26-2008, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Why mess with a winning formula

I think my 07 ML63 is superb and its understated agressiveness needed no tinkering with. I think all MB have done is make the car a little bit over the top and reduced the overall classiness of the appearance.

I will say one thing and that is the wheels look svery harp - and hopefully cheaper than the Brabus Monoblocks i was thinking of upgrading to. Finally, the paddles on the new stearing wheel appear to be a massive improvement over the current button system which i find less than optimal using while turning and which need a very precise pressure at a certain point on the button to activate.

All in all i think the new vehicle should help maintain resale price on 'older' model as the socalled visual improvements arent really improvements at all. Big thumbs down from me.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:33 AM

2008 ML63
Thank you for the write up AVB-AMG and for the most part I agree with you. I am only going by the photos but I don't care for the chrome underpanels either. Before purchasing the ML63 we also looked at an in stock Cayenne Turbo that had the front stainless panel option and that was the one thing on that vehicle I did not like at all. Some of my other thoughts are;

I think I like the blacked out belt bar and it would be fairly easy to do that on this car, though I doubt I ever would.

I find the current exterior mirrors more than adequate and don't feel I need larger ones.

The rear reflectors, I prefer the cleaner look without them.

Don't have or want the rear entertainment option so that means nothing to me but the if screens are not built in it looks like a tacky afterthought.

Don't care about the wheels, headlights or steering wheel.

The LED tail lights are the only thing on the change list that I really prefer over the current model but is not a huge deal.

Last edited by PhilR; 03-28-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:53 PM

2007 ML 63 AMG
A couple more nights and we 'll know the new pricing of the face-lifted version. In Belgium alltough.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:33 AM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
Originally Posted by AVB-AMG

AVB-AMG

bro why you hating for , your ml63 looks like ml550 sports package IMO that's why you're so mad , i live in brooklyn and i see ml550 and ml63 almost everyday and it's very similar , not as hot but still , but the 09 ml63 looks much more agresssive , the chrome under panels don't look bling at all wtf are you saying , i myself hate blinged out cars with bodykits etc. but the upcoming ml63 looks much more agressive than the current one , i mean i love the current one it's sexy as hell it is the best looking suv ml63 , but it does not look as agressive as the 09 , the 09 from the front looks like a brick , it looks lower and wider it's super hot , i think it was one of the best looking amg's on the NY autoshow
Old 04-05-2008, 04:08 PM

2007 ML 63 AMG
Some more pictures of "THE BEAST"
Attached Thumbnails Facelifted ML63!-ml63_v1_1280x1024.jpg   Facelifted ML63!-ml63_v2_1280x1024.jpg   Facelifted ML63!-ml63_v3_1280x1024.jpg  
Old 04-05-2008, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
Originally Posted by Koen
A couple more nights and we 'll know the new pricing of the face-lifted version. In Belgium alltough.
Why would the pricing change?? Its just a facelift...

Can't wait to see this badass 63 in white!!
Old 04-06-2008, 04:35 AM

2007 ML 63 AMG
Pricing allways goes up with MB. For example they have put the Neck-Pro as standard. It will be about 1.000 € more expensive than before.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:39 AM
kip

E55
Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER
Love the Wheels... Don't care for the new nose. Looks like a pretty minor mid-life facelift. Are these official MB Photos or someone's Photoshop musings??
I like the old more, but the wheels look good!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 777 Likes on 756 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Some more pictures of "THE BEAST"
a true SEXY BEAST!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:02 PM

Gs 300, Rx 330
the car looks very mean and aggressive!!!!!!!!! I love the facelift!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Jo

2011 ML63
Originally Posted by slawek
some pictures that I took
I wonder if we can add the paddles to the 07 model.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
I have already checked with service department where i bought my '63 and they are not confidant of being able to change the steering wheel to get the one with paddles. Not a simple case of swapping the wheel, there is an electronic control unit that also needs to be replaced and even then they are not sure. Guy guessed it would cost A$6000 or about US$5500 so not all that cheap. I hate those buttons though!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:25 AM
Jo

2011 ML63
5k for paddles? Does anyone have any pics of the back of the steering wheel? I wouldn't mind seeing what is involved.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by MikeRPA
yeeee delay your order , i've seen one today and it looks just 10012121332323 times better than the current one
Umm.. the interior looks a lot cheaper, they've copied the C class and it looks "slightly" different then the current one. Head light and tail light upgrades, a change to the front fascia grill and Jay-Z Chrome. WHY? WHY? WHY?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:22 PM

08' BMW E92 Coupe
That looks great. Loving the front
Old 05-17-2008, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
I prefer mine over the face lifted ML, but I have to say, I want those wheels on mine.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:09 AM

2007 ML 63 AMG
Yeah, the wheels are really great.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Yeah, the wheels are really great.
Same wheels on the S63 I believe, no?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:08 PM

2007 ML 63 AMG
Originally Posted by ldangeli
Same wheels on the S63 I believe, no?
No absolutely not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Facelifted ML63!