Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

ML55 AMG or BMW 4.6is or Lexus LX470

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
The ML55 AMG is the quintessential high performance SUV. Mercedes invented the concept perfectly.

X5 is a copycat, and bad at it too.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sprins
The ML55 AMG is the quintessential high performance SUV. Mercedes invented the concept perfectly.

Heh.
Yes, I mean, it's not like everyone praises the X5 for it's fantastic handling on road.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
There are only two SUVs I'd take over the ML55. One of them is the X5 4.6/4.8is, the other is the Cayenne Turbo. The Cayenne trumps all of the SUVs in the twisties.

We had an X5 before our ML55. I honestly miss the X5. Yes, it has less cargo room. However, the spare tire in the cabin of the ML55 robs a lot of room as well. I miss the steering wheel controls, digital climate control, and other comforts the X5 has and the ML55 lacks.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:44 PM

2001 ML55 ///AMG
not to sound like a jerk but...

if you're gonna get a porsche get a *** porsche not a SUV. i drive an ml55amg daily and although its performance specs are high, id rather drive a coupe/sedan if you're looking for performance. plus all i see are MILFS behind the wheel of the porsche's
Old 09-04-2005, 01:49 AM

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by ML55kid
if you're gonna get a porsche get a *** porsche not a SUV. i drive an ml55amg daily and although its performance specs are high, id rather drive a coupe/sedan if you're looking for performance. plus all i see are MILFS behind the wheel of the porsche's
I guess that was directed at me. I suggest you drive a Cayenne, esp a turbo, and then you'll know what I'm talking about. It's an SUV, that handles as a porsche should handle. Do I think they ever should have made the thing? No. Is it a better performer than our ML55? Yes. It's the best handler in the "high performance" SUV market.

Every car has it share of "MILF" drivers; I've seen a quite a few even in the "real" porsches.

Last edited by aintME; 09-04-2005 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by aintME
There are only two SUVs I'd take over the ML55. One of them is the X5 4.6/4.8is, the other is the Cayenne Turbo. The Cayenne trumps all of the SUVs in the twisties.

We had an X5 before our ML55. I honestly miss the X5. Yes, it has less cargo room. However, the spare tire in the cabin of the ML55 robs a lot of room as well. I miss the steering wheel controls, digital climate control, and other comforts the X5 has and the ML55 lacks.
Not sure if you saw the comparison between the X5 4.6is and the Cayenne S in the Fifth Gear show some time ago. The X5 eats the Cayenne S in Twisties. The test was conducted by the well respected Tiff needel. The Cayenne turbo should be faster in straight line but I doubt it would handles better than the X5 in the twisties.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:00 AM

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by MikeHK
Not sure if you saw the comparison between the X5 4.6is and the Cayenne S in the Fifth Gear show some time ago. The X5 eats the Cayenne S in Twisties. The test was conducted by the well respected Tiff needel. The Cayenne turbo should be faster in straight line but I doubt it would handles better than the X5 in the twisties.
Sorry. I haven't seen the show/episode, but would like to check it out. FWIW, I can link to a mag article that says the opposite. But, does it really matter? I guess I should have left a disclaimer of it being solely my opinion. My only experience has come from personally driving the car(s). I am by no means a professional driver who can push the envelope of perfomance.

In comparison to the ML55, they both handle/perform better in the twisties. The Turbo does come with larger wheels/tires and an active suspension system much like MBs airmatic; it's an option on the S. IMHO, I'd still have to give the Pepper T the thumbs up over the X5. Honestly, the best thing to do is to go out and drive the car(s) in question yourself.

I am curious to see how the new ML63 will perform against all of these. I have confidence that AMG will come through with at least a comparable product.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by aintME
Sorry. I haven't seen the show/episode, but would like to check it out. FWIW, I can link to a mag article that says the opposite. But, does it really matter? I guess I should have left a disclaimer of it being solely my opinion. My only experience has come from personally driving the car(s). I am by no means a professional driver who can push the envelope of perfomance.

In comparison to the ML55, they both handle/perform better in the twisties. The Turbo does come with larger wheels/tires and an active suspension system much like MBs airmatic; it's an option on the S. IMHO, I'd still have to give the Pepper T the thumbs up over the X5. Honestly, the best thing to do is to go out and drive the car(s) in question yourself.

I am curious to see how the new ML63 will perform against all of these. I have confidence that AMG will come through with at least a comparable product.
Comparable? It better beat them both. The X5 is a last generation car, and it seems as if, the Pepper is being compared to the X5 and in some cases, being just the equal, which isn't saying well things about the Pepper.

The ML better blow away the competition.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:48 AM

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Comparable? It better beat them both. The X5 is a last generation car, and it seems as if, the Pepper is being compared to the X5 and in some cases, being just the equal, which isn't saying well things about the Pepper.

The ML better blow away the competition.
I have no doubt when it comes to straight line acceleration that the AMG will take care of business. Not that the AMGs handle poorly, I just don't feel they handle as well.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Heh.
Yes, I mean, it's not like everyone praises the X5 for it's fantastic handling on road.
That's not the point. Sure the X5 handles fantastic on the road, but it's still so much more a fashion fad than e.g. the ML.

"It's a SAV, not an SUV, so it doesn't need decent 4WD and low gear", yeah right...
Old 09-05-2005, 04:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Wow.
The X5 is more of a fashion fad than the ML.

I think I've heard it all

No, but I have decent AWD. I don't need a low gear, and Mercedes didn't think the W64 did either.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Wow.
The X5 is more of a fashion fad than the ML.

I think I've heard it all
Some are trend-setters, and others are trend-folowers, you fill in which is which...
Old 09-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

I'd say both the 163 ML and the E53 X5 are both trend followers.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Yes but without the ML55 there would be a whole market share of people that would want to go fast in there SUVs but couldnt ever go "sports car" fast. Im sure it was only time before SOMEONE put it out there, but mercedes did it first, then BMW joined in 1 or 2 model years later with the 4.6 which wasnt terribly faster then the mercedes but could handle a bit better.

So we would say the ML55 was the trend setter for the High performance SUV and closely follwed by BMW... Then everyone else joined in and the damn horsepower war was brought to the SUV... I dunno bout you guys but I think the ML63 is going to trounce competition for some time and with the production kinks worked out with the 55 I hope we see the 63 for more then 4 years
Old 09-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Almost a Member!

E46 M3
What about the 4.8?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
I'd say the W163 ML is the real trendsetter in it's segment. Finally some "class & luxury" in the SUV segment from a "respectable" german auto maker (notice the quotes).

One can criticize the ML, and perhaps for good reason (the 1st encarnation sucked), but it was trully the 1st of its kind.

But, it was way back in 1998, so you might not remember as you were too young
Old 09-06-2005, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by E46M3ownerMBfan
What about the 4.8?
What about it?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:25 PM

ALPINA B12 5,7 Coupe #22/57

That was a joke, right ? if not you need to get better informed.

When the X5 entered the marked it was so far ahead of the ML in anything regarding drivability it was funny.

The ML that has never been considered MB finest moment was totaly outclassed.
This has nothing to do with personal preferanses, its just fact.
Offcourse the ML has improved a lot since the beginning.

BMW more or less opended a class of fast, powerfull and drivable 4x4 cars.
This is confirmed by a unanemous car press in Europe and probably all over the world.

Porsche, VW, Audi and MB soon followed with even more powerfull cars a bit later.
What to choose today is more or less a matter of taste.
The boxy agrssive look of the X5, the ugly but extremly powerfull Cayenne Turbo, the monster ML63, the Touareg V10 diesel or V12, all unique in its own way...

The Lexus is not at all in this class, its an amazing car but still a conventional 4x4, light years from the other cars in driveablilty.... I cant understand how someone put it in the SUV class at all.....

We have had the Landcruiser 100 ( equall Lexus LX) for 4 years and driven it app 60 000 miles, very comfortable car but not something you would call entertaining to drive. Offroad it will drive circles around all of the SUV`s but on the road it is totaly outclassed..
Old 09-07-2005, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by Erik
That was a joke, right ? if not you need to get better informed.

When the X5 entered the marked it was so far ahead of the ML in anything regarding drivability it was funny.
That may be true, but that's besides my point: Mercedes was first, BMW didn't know how fast they needed to copy the concept (as usual).
Old 09-07-2005, 05:39 PM

NEW 08' M6 CAB, 06' 997 911 CS CAB, 09' RX350 AWD, 10' E350 4M, 10' Range Rover; FS: 04' C32 AMG= FS
Mb

That may be true, but that's besides my point: Mercedes was first, BMW didn't know how fast they needed to copy the concept (as usual).
besides the $$ obviously, i'd consider the new ML63... but i voted for the ML55 cause i dont like the LX and the X5s are whored around too much. plus @ $3.5+ for gas why even bother for a 4.6 beamer...? that things a tank, right?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:54 PM

ALPINA B12 5,7 Coupe #22/57
Originally Posted by AdaMBombC32G
.........and the X5s are whored around too much. plus ?

What do you mean by that ?

Originally Posted by AdaMBombC32G
$3.5+ for gas why even bother for a 4.6 beamer...? that things a tank, right?

If I was in the marked for a SUV, I would never consider anything else than a diesel.

The X5 3.0 diesel with 220 Hp, easily up graded to 260 Hp and lots of torque, or offcourse the MB ML320cdi or Touareg V10 diesel with stock 310 Hp.

The point of having a SUV with 400 + Hp is something I have never understood. If I wanted a fast car I buy someting else.
Even though the powerful SUV`s handle well for their seize and form, its still a huge 4x4 weighing much more than 2000 kg.......
Old 09-07-2005, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
none..........id take either a Range Rover or a Porsche Cayenne S. I do like the new ML design and if i had to really chose it would be the ML, although I dislike my dads '01 ML 320 cause of all the problems, I think the X5 is fugly as hell, and i do like the LX, personally with the new designs BMW has really lost its edge and that all started with the X5.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by Erik
The point of having a SUV with 400 + Hp is something I have never understood. If I wanted a fast car I buy someting else.
Even though the powerful SUV`s handle well for their seize and form, its still a huge 4x4 weighing much more than 2000 kg.......
I drove the ML55 for some time, and it being a 2250Kg car, the 5.4l 350Hp wasn't all that much. Yeah, it felt snappy for such a heavy car, but IMO it needed such an engine to make the driving pleasant. I don't know about the ML500, but I drove an ML320 before the 55, and that just didn't cut it al ALL.

I think the ML55 was a pretty balanced whole. A bit heavy on the fuel-consumption...

I agree completely that more than 350Hp is a bit much for a < 2500Kg SUV. I therefore never understood the Cayenne Turbo (apart from it being such an ugly ****).

Correction: I do fancy the G55 kompressor. But it weighs more than 2500Kg, so the 470Hp completely make sense

Last edited by sprins; 09-07-2005 at 06:16 PM. Reason: G55
Old 09-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
Yes but without the ML55 there would be a whole market share of people that would want to go fast in there SUVs but couldnt ever go "sports car" fast. Im sure it was only time before SOMEONE put it out there, but mercedes did it first, then BMW joined in 1 or 2 model years later with the 4.6 which wasnt terribly faster then the mercedes but could handle a bit better.

Very true, and infact, the X5 4.6is isn't faster than the ML55, and it took longer to brake from 100mph.

So we would say the ML55 was the trend setter for the High performance SUV and closely follwed by BMW... Then everyone else joined in and the damn horsepower war was brought to the SUV... I dunno bout you guys but I think the ML63 is going to trounce competition for some time and with the production kinks worked out with the 55 I hope we see the 63 for more then 4 years

Trend setter, I wouldn't call it that. AMG just threw their 5.5L engine into the ML and basically called it a day.
What about the 4.8?
Too expensive IMO, like Pete (55fanatic) the ML63 and the next gen X5 needs to come out to really start up the wars again. X5 4.8is was just a response to the Cayenne Turbo.

I'd say the W163 ML is the real trendsetter in it's segment. Finally some "class & luxury" in the SUV segment from a "respectable" german auto maker (notice the quotes).

One can criticize the ML, and perhaps for good reason (the 1st encarnation sucked), but it was trully the 1st of its kind.

But, it was way back in 1998, so you might not remember as you were too young
If it's segment is a luxury SUV from a German company, then yes, you are absolutley right. It started the market!
However, if you're talking about a Luxury SUV, Land Rover had been doing the same thing for a while since 1992 IIRC.

I remember sitting in a ML430 and saying to myself, "I've seen better built products at Wal-Mart"

besides the $$ obviously, i'd consider the new ML63... but i voted for the ML55 cause i dont like the LX and the X5s are whored around too much. plus @ $3.5+ for gas why even bother for a 4.6 beamer...? that things a tank, right?
So the LX and the X5 are too popular for you, but the ML isn't? I really hope you're talking about the new ML, and even then, that isn't out yet (ML63).
Bimmer btw, Beemer is for bikes.
And yes, it's a tank, but in a different way. It's a lot better handling wise than the other options in this thread, so it's less of a tank in that form. However, the doors have a better thunk than a W463(G-Wagon).

Although I never had the chance to get the 4.8is, the 4.4i is fantastic. I love having a sporty vehicle with room in the back. A coupe can't do that for me. Say I got a M3, now where to I put all the county election boxes? For me the X5/ML55/whatever segment is ideal.

Anyways, this is truly a dead point.
The ML55 will be replaced by the ML63 soon.
The BMW 4.6is is no longer in production, it has been replaced by the 4.8is and that in itself will be replaced soon.
The Lexus LX470 is in a totally different class all together
Old 09-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

I drove the ML55 for some time, and it being a 2250Kg car, the 5.4l 350Hp wasn't all that much. Yeah, it felt snappy for such a heavy car, but IMO it needed such an engine to make the driving pleasant. I don't know about the ML500, but I drove an ML320 before the 55, and that just didn't cut it al ALL.

I think the ML55 was a pretty balanced whole. A bit heavy on the fuel-consumption...

I agree completely that more than 350Hp is a bit much for a < 2500Kg SUV. I therefore never understood the Cayenne Turbo (apart from it being such an ugly ****).

Correction: I do fancy the G55 kompressor. But it weighs more than 2500Kg, so the 470Hp completely make sense
The G55, as much as I'd hate to admit, would be a step up for me from my X5. 470hp, and a lot more room?! With real off roading capabilities?! Tell my friends to move over! (They have massive American trucks with lifts and what not, I always get left in the parking lot when we go mudding)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ML55 AMG or BMW 4.6is or Lexus LX470