ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Should I sell my ML?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
250, WRX, ML63, CL-S
Post Should I sell my ML?

I have recently purchased a 2009 ML63 with 33k on factory warranty. It was a MB buy-back from Cali laws for coolant leak, with the supposed vendor issue on head bolts. It is in MB records as "fixed, if you call them with VIN. It has been nitpicked to hell since i bought it for factory warranty, with 800 miles on 4 brand new airshocks, processor with new software and air pump, sway bar links, diff bushings etc. Drives like showroom new.
Discusssing this with my wife. Is this a car we keep for the next 20 years of our life with expected maintenance of brakes, tires and airshocks and drive the best vehicle for my lifestyle?
We currently own a 2005 Saabaru at about 300hp, 2001 Acura CLS at 300hp never in snow and <20 times in rain. with 72k miles and a 350 hp high 12 sec subi forester with STI 6 Speed, plumbed and tuned to the max. Right now, it is nearly flawless. New running boards with perfect finish, even new wheel bolts.
Here's the deal...
Wifey keeps the Saabaru forever.
Should I keep the ML with 40k left on a 3.5% loan, and sell one of the others to keep with snow tires as a winter car in Detroit MI with the mild snow.
or stay with the Subi and acura with no payments. I also eliminate bashing by some insecure friends and coworkers that I have this car for my "EGO" Look what I have, no kids, I am spending the no kids college education fund started years ago LOL. and MOST importantly it is the next logical step for a new car, (NEW is 34 k on this beast) For 45-50k k, you get a piece of **** Dodge , Ford or Gm , low performance and mediocre quality. I COULD NEVER , may this is the EGO, or do I just know cars.
I dont think I would be happy with anything else but the ML but can pick up a 5k profit and be back to home
After having the ML, its hard to ever drive anything less for the best of any world. We just pulled a 3500 lb snowmobile rig on a trip on dry pavement and it was incredible. IT freakin flies in all conditions and my local dealer has NEVER sold or serviced one.. This makes it an additional rarity in Detroit. It would be really hard to part with it.

Wifey and I are 40 and 50 and the one of our best versions of our life enjoyment is jamming SUPERBEAST by Rob Zombie and Driving at high speeds in the city with no freeway cops after 9-5 M-F :-)

C'mon friends, bash me with some pros and cons. Also, make an offer on the SUBI or ACURA to help me keep the Benz and stay married. LOL

Last edited by MLSEXY3; 02-22-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 02-23-2013, 01:18 AM

2007 ML63 AMG
I have a similar first world problem just like you, that I too am struggling with.....have a supercharged 2004 escalade that is long ago paid off. My 2007 ml63 is sitting in the garage depreciating while I drive the escalade as my winter beater...LOL

Some thoughts rattling through my head as teeter back and forth re selling and keeping the ML:

1. I am pretty sure I will get less for the vehicle than what I owe for it, so that is a vote for keeping it and enjoying it.

2. I am scared of the repair costs once my extended warranty ends in a little under 3 years, so that is a vote for selling it, as it has not impressed me that the reliability thus far in a little over one year of ownership has been less than stellar.

3. My wife and daughter don't feel as safe in the ML as they do in the Escalade, due to the lower vehicle height. Irrational at best but still a vote for selling... Happy wife, happy life.

4. Fastest vehicle I have owned, and could faster with better airflow and a tune, so a vote for keeping it.

5. My daughter will start driving next year, so would like her in a tank like the escalade. She is scared of the supercharger. Irrational. I am scared of how little I would get if I sold the vehicle. So a vote to keep the ML since if she gets comfortable with the escalade, I will never get to use it.

Definitely first world problems, these. LOL. Not sure I helped you with your choice but at least you are not alone.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM

2007 ML 63
Yes, I would sell the ML63 once it is not under warranty. I have had 2 ML 63's. a 2007 & now a 2008. Everything started to go wrong on the 2007 once it hit 50,000 miles and I was out of warranty. I spent $10,000 just to get it to be mechanically clean for sale and it's 3rd market actual sale value was well below book value. I now have a CPO 2008 ML 63 which is still under warranty and only has 30,000 miles. I just had to replace the air struts and thankfully it is under warranty. Would have cost a lot to do. . and the costs to operate this car is significant. I drive this car in the city and I average 9.5 miles to the gallon. The costs to operate this car, fuel, service
, tires,, insurance etc is about $5000 per year. I will sell it this summer as I exit the CPO warranty. It's too risky, the AMG parts are double what other mercedes parts are and the service is also required and expensive. Owning one without the warranty is like having unprotected sex every day, fun but very risky. Just my opinion.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM

2007 ML 63
I also think the ML63 depreciates very significantly. I might be able to get $38K for my 2008 ML 63 with 25,000 miles. The retail price paid was $100,000 plus tax. I paid $55K 18 months ago , so it is dropped 30% in less than 2 years. And it took a long time to sell my other ML63 in Los Angeles. If you can make $5K profit in Detroit go ahead and get it.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM

2007 ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by pepboy1
Yes, I would sell the ML63 once it is not under warranty. I have had 2 ML 63's. a 2007 & now a 2008. Everything started to go wrong on the 2007 once it hit 50,000 miles and I was out of warranty. I spent $10,000 just to get it to be mechanically clean for sale and it's 3rd market actual sale value was well below book value. I now have a CPO 2008 ML 63 which is still under warranty and only has 30,000 miles. I just had to replace the air struts and thankfully it is under warranty. Would have cost a lot to do. . and the costs to operate this car is significant. I drive this car in the city and I average 9.5 miles to the gallon. The costs to operate this car, fuel, service
, tires,, insurance etc is about $5000 per year. I will sell it this summer as I exit the CPO warranty. It's too risky, the AMG parts are double what other mercedes parts are and the service is also required and expensive. Owning one without the warranty is like having unprotected sex every day, fun but very risky. Just my opinion.
Great analogy!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 PM

250, WRX, ML63, CL-S
I think this thing is staying in the family.

I have busted 10k of parts in the SUBI in 2 years. I am used to stupid maintenance from diving hard.

I have found that the ML front brakes on the 2009 are only 570 in parts compared to 1500 of AMG parts for ML's, Some local Viper Engineers here in Detroit say they are crossover parts from the Chrysler years.
Now that its not going to market, here's the deal, I have 40k invested in it with 35k miles now. I plan on 3-4k miles per year. It will need 2400 of michelins and brake in 5k miles, so I have a year. I keep hearing everything is breaking, but this engine had the head bolts and gaskets replaced on the service bulletin, new radiator, and all new cooling hoses on the entire engine, hence the reason it was bought back, coolant smell. it was the funky head bolt run. For what I have into it and the love of the vehicle, there is really not another option that Id be happy with.

I keep hearing all these little things break. About 23 things have been replaced down to the new anodized running boards and rusted wheel bolts. Its as close to new as you can gather and interior is flawless.

I may sound over confident, but Ill be on here, so you'll hear my *****es and Ill accept the "I told you so's"

Ill also make the strong assumption back by several high end dealers here in Detroit, "it will always be worth about 20 -25k to SOMEONE for the next 10 years with <75k miles on it".

Thanks friends!https://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/driving.gif

https://mbworld.org/forums/images/sm...smashfreak.gif
Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 AM

250, WRX, ML63, CL-S
Driving

and drag racing it again today confirmed keeping this car....
Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 AM

250, WRX, ML63, CL-S
Driving

and drag racing it again today confirmed keeping this car....
Old 03-11-2013, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Personally, I'd keep the ML and sell the other two. Could always take the cash from the sale of the other two and put it down on the principal of the loan.