Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164)
Any High-Milage ML63's Out There? - What's Your Story? >

Any High-Milage ML63's Out There? - What's Your Story?

Notices
ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) Discuss the ML55 AMG and ML63 AMG.

Any High-Milage ML63's Out There? - What's Your Story?

 
Old 03-08-2013, 03:34 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
AVB-AMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and a 2007 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG
Any High-Milage ML63's Out There? - What's Your Story?

Hello Everyone...
I began a 3-year lease in June 2007 for a new 2007 ML63 AMG. During the last several months of my lease I started the investigation of what my next vehicle would be, (see story below...). I ultimately decided that I enjoy this vehicle so much and have kept it in excellent condition that I would purchase it at the end of my lease. I have paid off my car loan last month and now own the vehicle outright, with a Kelly Blue Book value of around $30,000 - $32,000. This month I will reach the 70,000 mile mark, now averaging approx. 10,000 miles per year. I plan to hold onto this ML63 for another 3 years until I reach 100,000 miles and will then sell it.

I am curious if there are any other ML63 owner's that frequent this Forum who also have kept or plan to keep their ML63's beyond a 3-4 year period.
If so, let's hear your thoughts and story.....

BTW - I have just placed an order for a new 2014 BMW M6 Coupe to be my daily driver. It will be my first M-Series BMW and I am looking forward to taking delivery of it in June at the BMW Performance Center in Spartenburg, SC.

AVB-AMB


BTW - I did a "cut & paste" below of a response I made in 2011 in another thread in this forum that you may find interesting:

As an automobile enthusiast, I want to drive an automobile that makes me happy. Happy to look at it, happy to drive it and enjoying the entire experience of driving it and its ownership, regardless of whether it is my daily driver or some other vehicle that is only driven occasionally. A key issue when considering a ML63 is whether it will be your daily driver or just one more car in your stable of automobiles. From my perspective, each of us will determine and probably rationalize what is most importent to them in an automobile. For me, the most important actual and subjective variables for my vehicle(s) are:

1. Safety features/design
2. Attractive aesthetics
3. Fun driving experience
4. Decent (if not good) gas mileage.
5. Powerful (meaning, fast acceleration, for fun and safety)

M-B has a proven track record in their design of vehicles for safety. The M-B ML has the highest safety rating from a number of Transporation/Highway Associations, so it would be hard to do better than the ML in that category.

When I first leased my 2007 ML63 AMG I drove it as my daily driver, using it to commute to and from NYC. I averaged approx. 15.5 mpg for these trips... not great gas mileage but what was advertised when I originally selected the vehicle, so not a surprise. I also became increasingly concerned about getting nicks and scrapes on the bumpers from the urban parking garage ballet and fearless/hapless attendents. Eventually, my wife and I agreed to have me drive her BMW 335 xi Coupe as the daily commuter car and use the ML63 for our weekend errands and as a long trip/vacation vehicle. The Bimmer gets between 19 - 25 mpg, depending on the aggressiveness of my driving and is far more practical and easier to drive in congested urban traffic. Both vehicles require the use of premium gasoline and I am on a first-name basis with several gasoline station attendants along my commuting route, so that is a fact that will not change.

The ML63 works great as a very fast, comfortable, and fun long distance cruiser, capable of accommodating and carting all of our luggage and "stuff" on our long weekend excursions and vacation road trips. It really is only on the long trips in this country on interstate highways where the ML63's incredible acceleration capability is able to be best used in the most appropriate way, such as on entrance ramps and for lane change passing, etc. I rationalize the ML's poor gas mileage as just one more vacation cost and realize and appreciate that it is also part of the cost of putting a silly smile on my face whenever I am driving it....

In the summer of 2010, my '07 ML63 AMG's 3-year lease expired. After much deliberation whether to get a new similar vehicle and test driving the new ML63, and competing vehicles such as the BMW X5M and Porsche Cayenne Turbo, I decided that the most cost effective solution was to buy my ML63 from Mercedes-Benz Financial at the end of the lease since it only had about 37,000 miles on it. I realized that since my '07 ML63 was loaded, I had everything I really needed in that vehicle other than the latest electronic communication/entertainment gagetry. I determined that if I purchased my vehicle off of lease it would cost me about half the cost of buying/leasing a new one, ($50,000 vs. $100,000). I was able to negotiate with MBF what I thought was an acceptable deal to buy it for approx. $2,000 below my lease's stated residual value of the vehicle. As an enthusiast, I always baby my vehicles and had the MB Dealer always perform all of the necessary regular and preventive maintenance and servicing so the vehicle was and remains in great shape. I even had them upgrade the rear tail lights to the later generation LED's, which look really good.

The important fact to keep in mind is that all of today's AMG vehicles are very expensive to repair, especially if there is any issue involving the engine or transmission. The cost of replacing the entire 6.3 engine alone has a msrp of over $60,000! So in April 2011, nearing the end of the original M-B mfgrs warranty, I decided to purchase a Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty (ELW) for the ML63. The ELW can be purchased from any M-B Dealer and is available in a number of different milage/months combinations at different costs. I elected to go with an ELW for an additional two years and/or 25,000 miles (up to 75,000 miles on the vehicle). The ELW was not cheap at $4,171 (which includes 7% NJ sales tax), but there is no deductible and I view it as an additional "insurance" cost that gives me important peace of mind. Repair or replacement of just one key covered component on this vehicle could easily total this amount. So if you have or buy a ML63 that is still within the original mfgrs. warranty I strongly suggest that you seriously consider exploring getting a M-B ELW that works for your budget and time frame.

This strategy allows me to continue my enjoyable ownership and driving experience of my ML63 for 2-3 more years before I may be tempted to consider a new replacement vehicle. I wonder at that time what type of performance/economical hybrid vehicles M-B, BMW, Audi and Porsche will have available... As you will see from my other posts in this and other forums, the latest generation ML design just does not resonate with my aesthetic eye, which just reinforced my decision to buy my '07 ML63.

AVB-AMG
AVB-AMG is offline  
Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 322
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 911 Turbo S, '15 HELLCAT, '07 Escalade, '15 Sienna
I traded my 2009 in with 70,000 miles. It was flawless. I drive hard, and my truck was tuned, and it was rock solid unstoppable beast. I miss it. My wife doesn't even like the e63 I traded it 4 and she's convinced the tuned ML was faster
dr. ss is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:56 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Lamborghini Diablo, 05 C230 Sedan
Very curious on how the 2007 ML63 has been for you reliability wise? I know you had warranty for most of the period of ownership but can you give any comments on that? I'm considering getting rid of my C230 for a 2007 ML63 but this section doesn't appear to get a ton of traffic so I don't see a ton of recent reliability info.
Viper55 is offline  
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 PM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
AVB-AMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and a 2007 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG
Reliability of my 2007 ML63 AMG

Viper55:

My 2007 ML63 AMG has been very reliable over the past six years. The issues that I have experienced since new have all been relatively minor and all were all corrected by my M-B Dealer and were covered under the original MBUSA vehicle warranty and included the following:

- Air Conditioning Compressor leak (lost refrigerant). AC Compressor was replaced in 2008
- Two OEM wheels experienced growing corrosion around the hubs due to clear coat failure. Both wheels replaced in 2009
- One of the LED video screens in the rear of the passenger side head rest failed and was replaced with a new unit in 2008.
- At the 50,000 mile milestone, I had my M-B Dealer perform all of the M-B recommended servicing items noted below that were recommended to be performed and 50,000 miles, as well as those recommended to be performed at 60,000 miles, as a precaution, since I was buying the vehicle off of my original lease. (Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Services: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12 & 20)

Now that I am about to have the vehicle serviced by my M-B at the 70,000 mile mark I will have them do the following:
1. Perform Mobil One synthetic oil and filter change
2. Perform a 4-Wheel Alignment after they remove my Winter Snow Tires and reinstall and balance my Summer Performance tires on the OEM rims
3. Flush & refill brake fluid (M-B Service 4)
4. Replace A.C. combination filter (M-B Service 5)
5. Replace air cleaner insert (M-B Service 8)
5. Change transmission oil & filter (M-B Service 20)

My MBUSA Extended Limited Warranty (ELW) that I purchased from my Dealer (who matched the lowest price I was able to be quoted nationally by other M-B Dealers), will expire on 5-30-13. Thankfully, so far at least, I have not had any issues with my ML83 so I consider myself lucky, but am still glad to have the peace of mind of having that ELW coverage, just in case.... A couple of weeks prior to that expiration date I will take in my vehicle to my M-B Dealer for their thorough inspection to see if there is any item or issue that can be identified and should be addressed while still benefiting from the ELW coverage.

I believe that these vehicle, if property maintained, will last for quite some time and provide many satisfying miles of spirited driving.....

I hope this answers your question....

AVB-AMG

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 03-20-2013 at 10:29 PM.
AVB-AMG is offline  
Old 03-31-2013, 07:14 PM
  #5  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml63 amg
ml63 with high miles

hello, i have a 2007 ml63 with 94k. i thoroughly enjoy it so.
having acquired it back in october i researched the history entirely with
previous servicing dealer and owner with impecible history. it has devolped a head gasket oil leak in last 1000 miles. any suggestions. ml drives very strong and has no other apparent issues, any help is appreciated.
rfarrell44 is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 AM
  #6  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Malba Queens/Bayonee N.J.
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 ML350 / 08 ML63
Hi everyone,I have a 2008 ml63 with 43000 miles on the odometer that I just acquired after trading in my ml350 with 125,000 miles for it.I was the original owner.The ML63 i've only had it for a month and am amazed every time I drive it.What a sleeper.

Last edited by 7UP2U; 08-13-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Adding more info
7UP2U is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Rippin'AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML63 AMG
2008 ML63 here with about 59K on it. I bought it back in April '13. Took it to the dealer and had them do all the 4-matic service, transmission and transfer case fluid changes, etc. So far its been great. Only thing that I've had to replace was the A/C compressor since there was a leak and it was blowing hot air...ouch, that was a $2000 kick in the nuts!
Rippin'AV is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 10:55 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
betrezra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,581
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
2011 ML63 with 30K Miles. I'm 3rd owner.... had it 1 mo now.

So far replaced:
psg side step mount bolt (bought used with broken mount bolt)
lower rear bumper cover (bought used with blem cover)
ordered a/m 2 pc brake kit (seems at 30 k miles stock rotors are shot)
betrezra is offline  
Old 08-22-2013, 01:09 PM
  #9  
Member
 
jafores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Philippines
Posts: 205
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 C63, 07 ML63, 92 500E, 70 300SEL 6.3, 63 220 SEB Conv. Sold 02 G500, 97 E50,92 C280,71 280SE 4.5
Have an 07 with about 26k Miles, relatively low for the US but this truck is in the Philippines where are roads will give NYC a run for its money. Have had some issues with door corrosion and some suspension bushes and shocks replaced.

Having said that I love this truck and prefer it to the 166 . I intend to keep this guy for a few more years.
jafores is offline  
Old 01-29-2014, 06:35 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 288
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
I had an 07 ML63 - Sold it with approx 70,000 miles on it.

In that time:
Replace both rear shocks (leaking)
Replace RHF Airmatic strut
Replace Power steer pump / power steer oil tank.
Replace Thermostat (Black plastic fitting becomes extremely brittle)
Engine had pinging under load
Needed front diff bushes to be done

Still loved it though! - But couldn't rely on it any longer as it was out of warranty and parts prices in Australia are insane.

If I were to buy another one used. I'd be checking all the above
schmick325 is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 11:51 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML550 - old: ML63 2009 - E550 W212 2010
Originally Posted by schmick325 View Post
I had an 07 ML63 - Sold it with approx 70,000 miles on it.

In that time:
Replace both rear shocks (leaking)
Replace RHF Airmatic strut
Replace Power steer pump / power steer oil tank.
Replace Thermostat (Black plastic fitting becomes extremely brittle)
Engine had pinging under load
Needed front diff bushes to be done
Mine is a 09 with 68k miles now and my rear struts also leak. I will hold this truck another year so now have to figure out if I should have the struts replaced with Arnott struts or hope that they will last a little bit longer until I trade it.
sbaer is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 07:32 AM
  #12  
Super Member
 
red60R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Potomac FAlls VA
Posts: 576
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E63S
my 07

looks like this thread was reborn from 2013. Mine has 111k on it now, currently in the shop getting new fuel pumps (under extended warranty). Other items also replaced under warranty include:

radiator (2013)
water pump (summer)
battery (2014)
airmatic sensors and pump (2014)
all drive pulleys and belt (spring)
all motor mounts (2013)

other services--new tires, plugs, diff fluid, trans fluid, transfer case fluid, air filter, cabin filter, brake fluid, coolant.

No leaks in the struts. Interior is still a solid 10/10. Exterior could use a front/hood spray from minor rock chips over the years, and a nice scrape on the back left bumper from our garbage can sliding into it a while back. Other than that the paint still looks great.

With the tune the truck has plenty of get up for it's weight and is surprisingly good in both snow and sand. Best advice to anyone using this thread in the future and looking at an AMG vehicle is to make the investment in the extended warranty, mine always seems to pay off and saves you from unexpected costs during ownership.
red60R is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 04:04 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fayetteville, GA
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300D Turbo, 2007 ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by red60R View Post
looks like this thread was reborn from 2013. Mine has 111k on it now, currently in the shop getting new fuel pumps (under extended warranty). Other items also replaced under warranty include:

radiator (2013)
water pump (summer)
battery (2014)
airmatic sensors and pump (2014)
all drive pulleys and belt (spring)
all motor mounts (2013)

other services--new tires, plugs, diff fluid, trans fluid, transfer case fluid, air filter, cabin filter, brake fluid, coolant.

No leaks in the struts. Interior is still a solid 10/10. Exterior could use a front/hood spray from minor rock chips over the years, and a nice scrape on the back left bumper from our garbage can sliding into it a while back. Other than that the paint still looks great.

With the tune the truck has plenty of get up for it's weight and is surprisingly good in both snow and sand. Best advice to anyone using this thread in the future and looking at an AMG vehicle is to make the investment in the extended warranty, mine always seems to pay off and saves you from unexpected costs during ownership.
My 2007 ML63 AMG now has 117,000 miles on it. When I got it a couple of years ago with 100K on it, I had a local master mechanic replace all four airbags, one strut he found leaking and the air compressor. Having it all done at one time I could do it with a kit from Arnott and save a lot of money. The same time I had the radiator and the brakes flushed, oil changed, air filters engine and cabin replaced including the fuel filter and the result was like driving a new car. Later on the upper idler pulley froze and had to be replaced. 150 mph Rodian tires from Walmart with life time rotation and road hazard insurance came to about $600. Some other minor things developed. A slight engine oil leak from an old oil ring in the engine to oil cooler line was easily replaced and a couple of days ago, in sub-freezing weather, the CEL came on in response to a p0128 code. This was a false alarm, explained elsewhere on this forum. All and all I am very pleased with my COACH, a much better name than "truck". I don't think you could safely drive, maneuver and stop at 150 mph. In two years, adding up all the fuel I bought and dividing it by the distance driven, my average fuel consumption was a hair above 16 mpg. I'm going on 87, my "Sturm und Drang" years are way behind me. Now I mostly enjoy driving conservatively, no faster than 80mph on the Interstate which I can do with less than 2,500 RPM on the engine. :-)
fritza2tt is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 09:18 PM
  #14  
Super Member
 
red60R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Potomac FAlls VA
Posts: 576
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E63S
you're past me, 115k and the beast runs great. Just took it off road at the Outer banks over New Years. I just change the fluids, take care of it and it runs perfect.
red60R is offline  
Old 01-15-2016, 12:05 AM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
AVB-AMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and a 2007 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG
FYI - In case you did not already see and read this separate posting thread that I started last year, here is the link to it.
For all of you high-mileage ML63 owner's out there I think you will want to read this. All the best with your ML63's....

AVB- AMG

The thread is titled: "2007 ML63 AMG - Engine Died - Investigating Why...?"
Here is a link to it:

https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-...ml#post6388378
AVB-AMG is offline  
Old 03-30-2016, 10:03 AM
  #16  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz ML63 AMG
This is my very 1st post here, and although new to this forum, I am anything but new to the MB brand...
I have had '07 ML63 that has done 190k miles, I traded it for a 2010 version with mere 45k on it...both have been bombproof daily drivers and I can detect virtually no difference in performance and certainly nothing to report in reliability with either vehicle...it seems we do higher mileage in our ML's over here in Europe than you guys in NA ?

Steve
RCVantage is offline  
Old 03-30-2016, 06:58 PM
  #17  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml63 amg
Originally Posted by RCVantage View Post
This is my very 1st post here, and although new to this forum, I am anything but new to the MB brand...
I have had '07 ML63 that has done 190k miles, I traded it for a 2010 version with mere 45k on it...both have been bombproof daily drivers and I can detect virtually no difference in performance and certainly nothing to report in reliability with either vehicle...it seems we do higher mileage in our ML's over here in Europe than you guys in NA ?

Steve
Hello this is my first post aswell.
Steve your ML with 190k on would'nt have been a silver one that was put in for part ex at a garage in Coventry would it??
Will wilson is offline  
Old 03-31-2016, 07:04 AM
  #18  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz ML63 AMG
Hey Will,

My first one was indeed silver, but I sold it to friend who still has it, (as far as I am aware), last time we spoke, he'd stuck another 11k on it - we are not to far from Coventry, but I don't think he's sold it on?
Is there another with 190k on the clock in the uk then?
Steve
RCVantage is offline  
Old 04-01-2016, 03:06 AM
  #19  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml63 amg
Originally Posted by RCVantage View Post
Hey Will,

My first one was indeed silver, but I sold it to friend who still has it, (as far as I am aware), last time we spoke, he'd stuck another 11k on it - we are not to far from Coventry, but I don't think he's sold it on?
Is there another with 190k on the clock in the uk then?
Steve
Hi Steve,
Yes there is another ml63 out there with big mileage as i bought it 3 day's ago! it's done 192k with full history, i was a bit worried buying it but i couldn't fault the car and spoke to the mechanic that had just serviced it and he said he couldn't fault the car either! It was cheap at 10k with a 3 month warranty so it was a done deal, im really impressed with how it gets down the road, we have a 4 month old baby so got rid of our 997 carrera s for an x5 diesel but wanted something with a bit more power so bought the ml63 and i can say anybody coming from a 911 to an ml63 wont be disappointed with the power!! The only thing im struggling with is all the buttons and settings i think it's going to be a couple of hrs sat reading the hand book! Sounds like you enjoy your ml's but is there anything to watch out for with the mileage? Did you start having any problems? Thanks Will.
Will wilson is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 03:36 AM
  #20  
Member
 
zenman63's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 137
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ML63 AMG 13 SLK 55 SLK350 AMG kit 07
Hi, First post, My 2009 face lift has 108K and just about to fit a power steering pump.

Also not far from Coventry!
zenman63 is offline  
Old 05-27-2016, 12:31 PM
  #21  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ml63
bought a 2008 with 69,000 miles. my thermostat housing cracked at 72,000 miles. airmatic pump went @70,000 miles @72,000 miles front right passenger airmatic shock went. everything covered under extended warranty!! thank god i purchased it.

other than that, this car is sooo much fun!!!
typeriz is offline  
Old 01-07-2018, 10:01 AM
  #22  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML63
Originally Posted by AVB-AMG View Post
Hello Everyone...
I began a 3-year lease in June 2007 for a new 2007 ML63 AMG. During the last several months of my lease I started the investigation of what my next vehicle would be, (see story below...). I ultimately decided that I enjoy this vehicle so much and have kept it in excellent condition that I would purchase it at the end of my lease. I have paid off my car loan last month and now own the vehicle outright, with a Kelly Blue Book value of around $30,000 - $32,000. This month I will reach the 70,000 mile mark, now averaging approx. 10,000 miles per year. I plan to hold onto this ML63 for another 3 years until I reach 100,000 miles and will then sell it.

I am curious if there are any other ML63 owner's that frequent this Forum who also have kept or plan to keep their ML63's beyond a 3-4 year period.
If so, let's hear your thoughts and story.....

BTW - I have just placed an order for a new 2014 BMW M6 Coupe to be my daily driver. It will be my first M-Series BMW and I am looking forward to taking delivery of it in June at the BMW Performance Center in Spartenburg, SC.

AVB-AMB


BTW - I did a "cut & paste" below of a response I made in 2011 in another thread in this forum that you may find interesting:

As an automobile enthusiast, I want to drive an automobile that makes me happy. Happy to look at it, happy to drive it and enjoying the entire experience of driving it and its ownership, regardless of whether it is my daily driver or some other vehicle that is only driven occasionally. A key issue when considering a ML63 is whether it will be your daily driver or just one more car in your stable of automobiles. From my perspective, each of us will determine and probably rationalize what is most importent to them in an automobile. For me, the most important actual and subjective variables for my vehicle(s) are:

1. Safety features/design
2. Attractive aesthetics
3. Fun driving experience
4. Decent (if not good) gas mileage.
5. Powerful (meaning, fast acceleration, for fun and safety)

M-B has a proven track record in their design of vehicles for safety. The M-B ML has the highest safety rating from a number of Transporation/Highway Associations, so it would be hard to do better than the ML in that category.

When I first leased my 2007 ML63 AMG I drove it as my daily driver, using it to commute to and from NYC. I averaged approx. 15.5 mpg for these trips... not great gas mileage but what was advertised when I originally selected the vehicle, so not a surprise. I also became increasingly concerned about getting nicks and scrapes on the bumpers from the urban parking garage ballet and fearless/hapless attendents. Eventually, my wife and I agreed to have me drive her BMW 335 xi Coupe as the daily commuter car and use the ML63 for our weekend errands and as a long trip/vacation vehicle. The Bimmer gets between 19 - 25 mpg, depending on the aggressiveness of my driving and is far more practical and easier to drive in congested urban traffic. Both vehicles require the use of premium gasoline and I am on a first-name basis with several gasoline station attendants along my commuting route, so that is a fact that will not change.

The ML63 works great as a very fast, comfortable, and fun long distance cruiser, capable of accommodating and carting all of our luggage and "stuff" on our long weekend excursions and vacation road trips. It really is only on the long trips in this country on interstate highways where the ML63's incredible acceleration capability is able to be best used in the most appropriate way, such as on entrance ramps and for lane change passing, etc. I rationalize the ML's poor gas mileage as just one more vacation cost and realize and appreciate that it is also part of the cost of putting a silly smile on my face whenever I am driving it....

In the summer of 2010, my '07 ML63 AMG's 3-year lease expired. After much deliberation whether to get a new similar vehicle and test driving the new ML63, and competing vehicles such as the BMW X5M and Porsche Cayenne Turbo, I decided that the most cost effective solution was to buy my ML63 from Mercedes-Benz Financial at the end of the lease since it only had about 37,000 miles on it. I realized that since my '07 ML63 was loaded, I had everything I really needed in that vehicle other than the latest electronic communication/entertainment gagetry. I determined that if I purchased my vehicle off of lease it would cost me about half the cost of buying/leasing a new one, ($50,000 vs. $100,000). I was able to negotiate with MBF what I thought was an acceptable deal to buy it for approx. $2,000 below my lease's stated residual value of the vehicle. As an enthusiast, I always baby my vehicles and had the MB Dealer always perform all of the necessary regular and preventive maintenance and servicing so the vehicle was and remains in great shape. I even had them upgrade the rear tail lights to the later generation LED's, which look really good.

The important fact to keep in mind is that all of today's AMG vehicles are very expensive to repair, especially if there is any issue involving the engine or transmission. The cost of replacing the entire 6.3 engine alone has a msrp of over $60,000! So in April 2011, nearing the end of the original M-B mfgrs warranty, I decided to purchase a Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty (ELW) for the ML63. The ELW can be purchased from any M-B Dealer and is available in a number of different milage/months combinations at different costs. I elected to go with an ELW for an additional two years and/or 25,000 miles (up to 75,000 miles on the vehicle). The ELW was not cheap at $4,171 (which includes 7% NJ sales tax), but there is no deductible and I view it as an additional "insurance" cost that gives me important peace of mind. Repair or replacement of just one key covered component on this vehicle could easily total this amount. So if you have or buy a ML63 that is still within the original mfgrs. warranty I strongly suggest that you seriously consider exploring getting a M-B ELW that works for your budget and time frame.

This strategy allows me to continue my enjoyable ownership and driving experience of my ML63 for 2-3 more years before I may be tempted to consider a new replacement vehicle. I wonder at that time what type of performance/economical hybrid vehicles M-B, BMW, Audi and Porsche will have available... As you will see from my other posts in this and other forums, the latest generation ML design just does not resonate with my aesthetic eye, which just reinforced my decision to buy my '07 ML63.

AVB-AMG
My story begins with my first AMG, 2007 ML63 (3rd owner) with 20K miles on it in 2010. I spent around $25K during the life spam that I owned it. 2 intake gaskets and intake manifold repair tickets, both font and rear suspension systems. I traded it with 175K miles on it for my next AMG a 2010 ML 63 in 2013. This one had 13K miles on it when I purchased it, and I kept it for 2 years, with only spending $5K for one intake manifold and gasket. I had 90K miles on it when I traded it on my current 2014 AMG ML 63. It had 7K miles on it and has been flawless since I bought is. It has the performance package and I love it. My wife loves all of the ML63's we have had so I bought her first AMG ML63 in 2016, it is a 2014 ML 63. She asked for a radar detector this past Christmas so I bought her one. Great to have a wife that loves the AMG family of vehicles. I see nothing but the AMG series the rest of our lives.

PS: Our two 100lb + dogs love them too. I connected to a person in Australia that gave me her part number for the rear net (not cargo) for my dogs. It clips behind the 2nd row seats and goes from the roof to the cargo tie downs. I was told it was not a North American option but I think it should be.
carljobe is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Any High-Milage ML63's Out There? - What's Your Story?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: