Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 05:28 AM
GMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG PP
Taken Delivery!!

ML63 thoughts:
I finally took delivery of my new 2013, ML63 AMG PP and thought I would keep track of my thoughts as I got to grips with the car. I’m calling it a car as SUV implies a certain degree of un-car-like handling, so car will suffice for now :-). It’s probably worth mentioning that the last vehicle I drove for any extended time daily was a C63 AMG and my wife’s new Jeep Grand Cherokee that I drove for a week before handing it over to her. Okay, she let me drive for a week before giving me her old B200 to tide the time till the beast arrived.

When it did arrive, I liked its restrained aggression on the exterior and interior design. It doesn’t go out of it’s way to shout but when you look at it, you notice its muscular demeanour. It's a beautiful car through and through and looks better in person than in pictures.

Day 1:
Wow! The sound from the rear, its like some fan blowers are under rear of the car so each time you touch the accelerator pedal a tiny bit you hear some woof, woof V8, bassy sound. AWESOME!!!
This car sounds great even when just going slow which is a good thing. That said on a full blast the up shift sound (burp? Mini explosion?) is also fantastic! :-)) While the N/A 6.3 has a different sound with different qualities they are both great in their own unique ways.

The way it takes corners is something to be felt to be believed. Though there is noticeable diving under strong braking, well more so than what I was used to in the C63. However, the corners are taken very flat and smooth which has everything to do with the Active Curve System, which functions similar to the ABC system usually found std on the CL-class, though specifically to control hydraulics in the stabilizer bars front and rear.

I also like the ability to control the suspension between the comfort, sport and sport+ modes. I noticed the vehicle drops the ride height an inch or so when I select any of the suspension sport modes.

Thanks to the 4Matic system, the acceleration feels stronger from the get go than the C63 and it is also not subject to the tarmac type or loose dirt on the road compared to the C63. That said I do sometimes miss the hooliganism of peeling out of corners.

Day 2:
I thought it was fast yesterday but today it seems faster and I am still using C transmission mode. There is boatloads of torque from practically standstill making 2nd gear feel as if it were 1st. Traction is also quite amazing though when you do spin a tire the ESP cuts in quite sharply.

I like the fact that I can select any suspension mode independently of the transmission mode. Therefore, Sport+ suspension mode and C transmission mode can live in perfect harmony. :-)) Also worth noting is that the ride is very good to the point that I can't believe the vehicle is riding on 21inch wheels.

I also drive it at night and must point out that the bi xenon intelligent light system is excellent in both brightness and sharpness in reaction to corners. Also the interior ambient lights look great with their soft warm glow.

As for mods/accessories done so far; I've done the front window tint, AMG door pins, chrome hood fins, fitted MB's new all weather mats (which are actually quite nice), and fitted my daughters MB car seat, plus got an AMG carbon weave key chain.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Audi A4
Thanks for sharing your story and good to hear that you are enjoying your ML63!
I am getting my one next saturday and I'm so excited about it!!

Originally Posted by GMW
ML63 thoughts:
I finally took delivery of my new 2013, ML63 AMG PP and thought I would keep track of my thoughts as I got to grips with the car. I’m calling it a car as SUV implies a certain degree of un-car-like handling, so car will suffice for now :-). It’s probably worth mentioning that the last vehicle I drove for any extended time daily was a C63 AMG and my wife’s new Jeep Grand Cherokee that I drove for a week before handing it over to her. Okay, she let me drive for a week before giving me her old B200 to tide the time till the beast arrived.

When it did arrive, I liked its restrained aggression on the exterior and interior design. It doesn’t go out of it’s way to shout but when you look at it, you notice its muscular demeanour. It's a beautiful car through and through and looks better in person than in pictures.

Day 1:
Wow! The sound from the rear, its like some fan blowers are under rear of the car so each time you touch the accelerator pedal a tiny bit you hear some woof, woof V8, bassy sound. AWESOME!!!
This car sounds great even when just going slow which is a good thing. That said on a full blast the up shift sound (burp? Mini explosion?) is also fantastic! :-)) While the N/A 6.3 has a different sound with different qualities they are both great in their own unique ways.

The way it takes corners is something to be felt to be believed. Though there is noticeable diving under strong braking, well more so than what I was used to in the C63. However, the corners are taken very flat and smooth which has everything to do with the Active Curve System, which functions similar to the ABC system usually found std on the CL-class, though specifically to control hydraulics in the stabilizer bars front and rear.

I also like the ability to control the suspension between the comfort, sport and sport+ modes. I noticed the vehicle drops the ride height an inch or so when I select any of the suspension sport modes.

Thanks to the 4Matic system, the acceleration feels stronger from the get go than the C63 and it is also not subject to the tarmac type or loose dirt on the road compared to the C63. That said I do sometimes miss the hooliganism of peeling out of corners.

Day 2:
I thought it was fast yesterday but today it seems faster and I am still using C transmission mode. There is boatloads of torque from practically standstill making 2nd gear feel as if it were 1st. Traction is also quite amazing though when you do spin a tire the ESP cuts in quite sharply.

I like the fact that I can select any suspension mode independently of the transmission mode. Therefore, Sport+ suspension mode and C transmission mode can live in perfect harmony. :-)) Also worth noting is that the ride is very good to the point that I can't believe the vehicle is riding on 21inch wheels.

I also drive it at night and must point out that the bi xenon intelligent light system is excellent in both brightness and sharpness in reaction to corners. Also the interior ambient lights look great with their soft warm glow.

As for mods/accessories done so far; I've done the front window tint, AMG door pins, chrome hood fins, fitted MB's new all weather mats (which are actually quite nice), and fitted my daughters MB car seat, plus got an AMG carbon weave key chain.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
many AMGs and MBs
Enjoy !
Old 03-11-2013, 03:38 PM

ML63
I get mine this SAT cant wait . Congrats where the door pins a pain to do ?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Congrats yet again!

Haha

Originally Posted by YACHT LIGHTS
The door pins are super easy - screw off / screw on. I did have to take pliers to my old plastic ones to start them though.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Talking

Congrats sir sick ride!

I am getting my ml63 in a few days and can t sleep anymore lol.

Thanks for your post some very usefull info/opinions
Btw in sports mode transmission wise, when you downshift does the engine blipp also?

Have fun with your new ride i envy you
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 AM
DNB

2013 ML63 AMG with PP
Congrats on your new ride I just picked up my Palladium Silver 2013 ML63 a couple of weeks ago and LOVE IT!!!!!

The best thing I LOVE about this car, is when the Engine is put into Sport Mode..... it goes CRAZY!!!! let go of the throttle and it goes off, with delicious sounding backfires........to me, it is just insane for an "SUV" to do this!!! If that's not enough, then put the Suspension into Sport+ and go around corners at "warp speed" better than some sedans!!!

EVOII_Racer......glad you finally get to drive your car soon and yes, our 2 cars must have been in the same order.... June 12 Order and March 13 Delivery. Also when you pick up your car, you are asked not to "blip" the throttle or Engine Brake it for the first 1000 miles for the Run-in period.

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 AM

ML63 AMG W166, CLK200K, ML320CDI
Congratulations,

It is an awesome car and nice to see another one with a car seat strapped in the back (p.s. I have one identical to yours, on the same side of the car!)!

You will love it even more when it is run-in and you can switch it to Sport mode. It gets addictive and cannot make yourself go back to "Comfort" (though when you fill it up with fuel from empty you know you ought to......)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by justthebest
Congrats yet again!

Haha

The door pins are super easy - screw off / screw on. I did have to take pliers to my old plastic ones to start them though.
Thanks again!

Originally Posted by EVOII_Racer
Congrats sir sick ride!

I am getting my ml63 in a few days and can t sleep anymore lol.

Thanks for your post some very usefull info/opinions
Btw in sports mode transmission wise, when you downshift does the engine blipp also?

Have fun with your new ride i envy you
Thank you and don't worry you are not alone in lacking sleep. When I finally slept the night before driving it. I woke up thinking I had driven it but couldn't remember a thing! You are almost there and the wait is worth it.

Originally Posted by DNB
Congrats on your new ride I just picked up my Palladium Silver 2013 ML63 a couple of weeks ago and LOVE IT!!!!!

The best thing I LOVE about this car, is when the Engine is put into Sport Mode..... it goes CRAZY!!!! let go of the throttle and it goes off, with delicious sounding backfires........to me, it is just insane for an "SUV" to do this!!! If that's not enough, then put the Suspension into Sport+ and go around corners at "warp speed" better than some sedans!!!

EVOII_Racer......glad you finally get to drive your car soon and yes, our 2 cars must have been in the same order.... June 12 Order and March 13 Delivery. Also when you pick up your car, you are asked not to "blip" the throttle or Engine Brake it for the first 1000 miles for the Run-in period.
Congratulations!! Pics please!! I've nicknamed S - Psycho mode! It just wants to run over the cars in front! It pushes you into the seat then creates mini explosions everywhere.

Originally Posted by clk200
Congratulations,

It is an awesome car and nice to see another one with a car seat strapped in the back (p.s. I have one identical to yours, on the same side of the car!)!

You will love it even more when it is run-in and you can switch it to Sport mode. It gets addictive and cannot make yourself go back to "Comfort" (though when you fill it up with fuel from empty you know you ought to......)
Thanks and a fellow RHD ML63 AMG!! The MB kids seats fit well and are easy to use all round. By the way, I tried out S mode by accident (pressed transmission button instead of suspension button) and promptly nicknamed it S for Psycho!

Last edited by GMW; 03-13-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:34 AM

2011 BMW 750Li, 2013 Mercedes ML63 AMG
A couple of questions.

Where did you order the door pins from?

Where did you order the chrome hood fins from?

Thanks!

Randy

Last edited by repstein; 03-24-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Is any one planning to tow with their ml63?
Would like to hear exp with this.

Lovely car! I'm really liking the clean lines of this model.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
many AMGs and MBs
I have towed several times with mine. Tows great, stable and powerful. One trailer weighs 5200lbs (snowmobile trailer) the other about 4000 (bass boat)

Just make sure you get a long enough pin to get your trailer away from the bumper for cosmetic protection.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by repstein
A couple of questions.

Where did you order the door pins from?

Where did you order the chrome hood fins from?

Thanks!

Randy
Hi,

I bought both through the main dealer.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 Mercedes SLS, 2014 Mercedes SLS Black Series, 2014 E63S, 2013 S550, 2012 ML63, 2013 C250
It's good to see so many new ML63 owners here.

Were you on 6Speed before with a Porsche? Well, welcome to MBWorld.

Originally Posted by betrezra
Is any one planning to tow with their ml63?
Would like to hear exp with this.

Lovely car! I'm really liking the clean lines of this model.
Towed a C250 from Vegas to California one time after the SEMA show and everything went smooth. We were planning to tow a lot with it but our custom made Featherlite trailer is too short for our SLS. We have been waiting for almost 5 months for them to pick it up and redo it.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
WOW! That is one amazing looking ML63!!! Nice write up and pics!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
congrats to you too and post pics when you get yours too. I had the dealer install them when they were removing the door panels for the tint job in the front. That makes it much easier.

Originally Posted by C280 Sport
WOW! That is one amazing looking ML63!!! Nice write up and pics!
Thank you very much sir!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by GMW
Hi,

I bought both through the main dealer.
GMW,

I was able to order the chrome hood fins from the dealer and they'll be in tomorrow, but they can't find the door pins in their system. Do you have a part number or link to an official MB website that lists them?

Thanks again,

Randy
Old 03-27-2013, 04:43 AM

Audi A4
Interesting... I am looking at the Mercedes genuine accessory for M class manual and there is a picture of door pins but no part number is written next to it. most of other items do have part number written there.

GMW,

I was able to order the chrome hood fins from the dealer and they'll be in tomorrow, but they can't find the door pins in their system. Do you have a part number or link to an official MB website that lists them?

Thanks again,

Randy
Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 AM

Hmm, just found it myself. Looks like the part number is A0007660228.

Randy
Old 03-29-2013, 05:12 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Hmm, just found it myself. Looks like the part number is A0007660228.

Randy
Hi Randy,

Just logged in now, busy week! Yes that's the number!

Gilbert