ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Couple of questions for the IT guys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG
Couple of questions for the IT guys

I promise, I'm not being lazy here; I've read the COMAND manual and searched the forums at length for my answers, but remain (basically) in the dark. I'm trying to understand two AV features of my ML63.

The first: The SD Memory Card. This (as a vehicle feature) is a new one on me. Is anyone using this?? If so, for what? Music? Photos, perhaps? Or, will the card magically open some new feature(s) of the COMAND look/use?

The second: The UCI connection socket (in the glove box). What are we connecting to this? Is it for the few people out there that don't have/use iPods and are using some other MP3 player that won't connect to the iPod cable? Is it for games? radar detection? headphones? smoothie blender?

I have all the standard/obvious AV features of the ML63 with the Premium Sound package, plus Sirius, HD Satellite Radio and an iPod connected in the glove box. Is there something more that I'd get out of an SD Card and/or connection to the UCI?

Thanks, in advance, boys!

pokerjarvis
Old 02-01-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
Originally Posted by pokerjarvis
I promise, I'm not being lazy here; I've read the COMAND manual and searched the forums at length for my answers, but remain (basically) in the dark. I'm trying to understand two AV features of my ML63.

The first: The SD Memory Card. This (as a vehicle feature) is a new one on me. Is anyone using this?? If so, for what? Music? Photos, perhaps? Or, will the card magically open some new feature(s) of the COMAND look/use?

The second: The UCI connection socket (in the glove box). What are we connecting to this? Is it for the few people out there that don't have/use iPods and are using some other MP3 player that won't connect to the iPod cable? Is it for games? radar detection? headphones? smoothie blender?

I have all the standard/obvious AV features of the ML63 with the Premium Sound package, plus Sirius, HD Satellite Radio and an iPod connected in the glove box. Is there something more that I'd get out of an SD Card and/or connection to the UCI?

Thanks, in advance, boys!

pokerjarvis
What year is yours? Mine is a 2010 and I have used both features.

The SIM card slot mainly to hear music that I have downloaded there thru the years, while I plug my android phone to the glove box (the non-flat adapter) to hear some more music from Pandora ...I have also used it to play war games (perfect sound) while I wait for my wife outside of the grocery store
Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM

ML63 AMG
Mine is an '09.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
Our cars come with cables that allow you to connect iPod/iPhone in the glovebox (30 pin adapter), 3.5mm audio & also USB device. This is what they come with:
http://www.commandonline.co.uk/media...-leads-ml.html

I have iPhone 5S, so i personally use a Viseeo Tune2Air Bluetooth adapter, which is great for streaming my music from the phone. Bring all the album list, playlist, etc, exactly as if i had an ipod connect to the cable.

The SD Card slot, im not sure about as i havnt used it, but i am told its for Music ONLY. Will not support Video or pictures. I have HEARD it can also be used for Software/ Map update?

In the Centre Console, there is also a connection in there, to use a pop in cradle such as
http://www.commandonline.co.uk/Merce...ng-Cradle.html

If you want Video Playback, this is what you need:
http://www.commandonline.co.uk/media...face-plus.html
Old 02-04-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Hello. I can only comment on one of your questions, so here goes.

I have a 2014 ML63 and I use the SD card for music playback. I transferred my entire CD collection in lossless MP3 format to the SD card. I have every album in a separate folder. Gracenote information transfers automatically. Those without it require manual input and don't always display properly. In order to listen to material on the SD card, you must go to the Audio tab on the top edge of the COMAND display. Then you chose Memory Card from the drop down menu and you're in business.

One feature I especially like is the Random play feature that can be selected from the MP3 tab on the bottom of the screen. It allows random play of all your tracks and works quite well. Unlike the systems used in the recent past, which would play randomly from each folder, my current system requires a trick. You MUST copy one of your tracks into your main directory and start playing that selection when you set the Mix feature. If you start from anywhere else, or you don't have this stand-alone track in the main directory on the SD card, the system will randomly play ONLY the tracks in ONE folder. You'll be stuck listening to the same album mile after mile.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your sound system.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:42 AM

ML63 AMG
Well...for the sake of experiment, I went ahead and played the SIM Card game. I threw a few of my 'old fave' CD's into the laptop, converted 'em to MP3, transferred the songs to my new little SIM card, created a few folders and....it worked like a charm!! All data transferred/read/played perfectly on the head unit.

That being said, I'm not sure I'll ever do it again (or even use the one that I now have) as it is faster and easier to just go the iPod route.

FYI: I did try a few pictures; they didn't transfer, as expected.

Also, I did use the 3.5mm jack in the glove box to hook up my iPhone (thru the headphone jack) to try Pandora. It also worked great.

Now that my curiosity has been tamed, I can go back Sirius & iPod and forget about SD cards and mystery cables in my glove box.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
What capacity SD card did you use? I heard there was a limit that the command could read (capacity limit) though i havnt confirmed.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:29 AM

ML63 AMG
After reading the various posts, I understood that 2G was the max size that COMAND would handle. So, that's what i bought.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:13 AM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
I let my Sirius plan lapse on December and never renewed it after that.

While it is awesome that you can pretty much find anything you want there, I grew tired of flipping thru dozens of stations that I really didn't care for. On top of that, I felt that sound quality wasn't that great (And never mind if I drove under an overpass or parked in a covered garage).

On the other hand, the SIM card had only the music ME LIKES and the sound quality is just awesome.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Originally Posted by pokerjarvis
After reading the various posts, I understood that 2G was the max size that COMAND would handle. So, that's what i bought.
I have a 8-GB microSD card in an adapter to make it full size and it works just fine. Everything plays as I described in my post above.