ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

2007 ML63 engine issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG
2007 ML63 engine issues

Have a 2007 ML63, tuesday started it up and had extremely rough idles, let it sit and came back with a code reader, said misfire on cylinder 7&8. Later that day, it ran fine no engine noises and no problems. Wednesday morning started up fine and ran fine until about 12 pm it started to bog down and misfire and read the codes again and it said misfire cylinder 6,7,8. It would start up and then die within a few seconds. Then it started up and just did the rough idle and violent shaking.

Thoughts?
Old 03-18-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ML63 AMG 13 SLK 55 SLK350 AMG kit 07
Is the engine light on? don't drive it with a miss fire or risk bending a con rod, I have one in bits in my garage, 28000 miles, guy had a misfire and it now has a bent rod!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:59 PM

ML63
I have a 2007 63 and was driving the other day and heard a rattling.
Car stalled, got it towed to mechanic. Something broke in engine and punctured oil pan causing engine to seize. Mechanic says I need new engine. Have researched online and found that this engine has had problems in the past. There was a class action lawsuit started in the US.Has anyone had any success in getting MB to pay for repairs?
Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Originally Posted by Cmeola
I have a 2007 63 and was driving the other day and heard a rattling.
Car stalled, got it towed to mechanic. Something broke in engine and punctured oil pan causing engine to seize. Mechanic says I need new engine. Have researched online and found that this engine has had problems in the past. There was a class action lawsuit started in the US.Has anyone had any success in getting MB to pay for repairs?
Sorry to see this happen to you. Where are you located? Did the mechanic tell you what/how did it happen?
The lawsuit failed/was dropped. The car is 10 years old, I don't think they'll pay for anything. The engine has three weak points:
1- Camshaft adjusters.
2- Camshafts eating thru the valve lifters/tappets. Seen few cases where the valve drops into the cylinder.
3- Headbolts breaking, causes coolant to leak into combustion chamber and breaking rods and contaminating bearings.
Do you know the engine serial number? If not you could give me your VIN.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM

ML63
Thanks for reply Solo Wing.
I am in West Vancouver, BC.
The mechanic just said the engine seized and recommended a new engine. He has not proceeded to take it apart and determine what the failure was.
He is sourcing out a used engine but not sure if it will be worth the cost. Its a shame because I do love the feel of the car.

MY VIN is 4JGBB77E98A347566
Old 03-20-2017, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cmeola
Thanks for reply Solo Wing.
I am in West Vancouver, BC.
The mechanic just said the engine seized and recommended a new engine. He has not proceeded to take it apart and determine what the failure was.
He is sourcing out a used engine but not sure if it will be worth the cost. Its a shame because I do love the feel of the car.

MY VIN is 4JGBB77E98A347566
I think it would be better to start a new thread regarding/serving your issue.
I'll reply there.
Cheers.

Last edited by Solo wing; 03-20-2017 at 06:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cmeola (03-20-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 01:00 AM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
Any news on these engines?
Old 01-06-2018, 01:36 AM

2007 ML63 AMG
ML63 AMG engine seized from possible head gasket failure

Originally Posted by exhaustgases
Any news on these engines?
Received a check engine warning message saying to check coolant level, engine loss power and ran rough. I was less than a mile from home so I drove it there. At home I added 1/2 gallon coolant and 2 gallon water to proper reservoir level. Started car to see if warning light was off. Engine immediately seized. I took the car to my Mercedes dealer and they said the engine seized and needs to be replaced. What could have caused this? Would I be risking the same problem with a used engine from a salvage company if I found an engine? Anyone have similar problems like this?
Old 01-06-2018, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by nashno

Received a check engine warning message saying to check coolant level, engine loss power and ran rough. I was less than a mile from home so I drove it there. At home I added 1/2 gallon coolant and 2 gallon water to proper reservoir level. Started car to see if warning light was off. Engine immediately seized. I took the car to my Mercedes dealer and they said the engine seized and needs to be replaced. What could have caused this? Would I be risking the same problem with a used engine from a salvage company if I found an engine? Anyone have similar problems like this?
Did you check how the oil looks? Looks like a typical M156 headbolt issue. It is a known defect. The attached PDF has some info.
For now, you can check the engine for piston/rod damage if everything checks out, it is a matter of replacing head bolts with the new design, new gaskets, fresh oil and coolant. If you buy a used engine, make sure the serial number is after Engine # 60060658, otherwise, buy an engine and replace the head bolts while it is outside the car.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB L101.30-P-051567.pdf (698.3 KB, 921 views)

Last edited by Solo wing; 01-06-2018 at 04:03 AM.
nashno (01-07-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 03:17 PM

MK 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Solo wing
Sorry to see this happen to you. Where are you located? Did the mechanic tell you what/how did it happen?
The lawsuit failed/was dropped. The car is 10 years old, I don't think they'll pay for anything. The engine has three weak points:
1- Camshaft adjusters.
2- Camshafts eating thru the valve lifters/tappets. Seen few cases where the valve drops into the cylinder.
3- Headbolts breaking, causes coolant to leak into combustion chamber and breaking rods and contaminating bearings.

Good luck.
check PM please

bought my self w164 and love it...
just want check engine series to check if can avoid and trouble

thanks!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:16 PM

2007 ML63
Looking to buy 4JGBB77E17A271307 any help out there for work done or problems?

Originally Posted by Solo wing
1- Camshaft adjusters.

Good luck.
  1. looking to buy VIN
  2. 4JGBB77E17A271307
  3. any info on work or problems?
Old 07-13-2021, 08:54 AM

Ml63
hello. how did you fix this issue?
Old 07-13-2021, 08:55 AM

Ml63
Originally Posted by Gulbir Chahal
Have a 2007 ML63, tuesday started it up and had extremely rough idles, let it sit and came back with a code reader, said misfire on cylinder 7&8. Later that day, it ran fine no engine noises and no problems. Wednesday morning started up fine and ran fine until about 12 pm it started to bog down and misfire and read the codes again and it said misfire cylinder 6,7,8. It would start up and then die within a few seconds. Then it started up and just did the rough idle and violent shaking.

Thoughts?
did you fix this issue?
Old 07-16-2021, 03:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
w163 55 AMG, w164, w210, w639, w126 , w211,w220
Here in Europe, we know of problems with cylinder head bolts that have corroded and lost strength until they have been replaced by stronger pieces as standard. Service technicians know another weakness in the cams where the valve tappets are stuck. The solution was to use less prone parts from SLS.
The mechanic said the engine seized and recommended a new engine. He did not proceed to disassemble it and determine what the failure was.
​​​​​​​That's not the reality, is it? That amused me a lot - thank you. If that were the reality, it's time for you to realize that you don't have a mechanic. You have a "Parts changer" The funny thing is, the Parts Changer really can't do anything. A seized engine is not an exotic fault. I work by taking the engine out of the car, disassembling it and only then do I start talking to the customer. I'll tell you what happened and why. Then what are the options to repair the engine. There are always more options. Finally, calculate whether to repair or buy a used engine. The first thing you have to do is find a normal car mechanic.Tell every new car mechanic: my car stopped driving. What should I do? Stop looking when you hear: I don't know, when I take the engine out of the car and take it apart, I'll know.. There is nothing more to say at this time.
But I have 2 good news. 1. The prices of 63 amg engine parts are several times lower than the parts for ML 55 / w163 /. 1xPiston for ML 55 is the same price as 5x piston for 63 AMG. 2. good news - a seized engine is never seized all / everywhere
What happens to that seized engine when the Parts Changer replaces it? I would like to send all the bad engines
Previously, the timing chain in the engine did not even have to be changed. Today, the timing chain must change. And the 272 engine has to get out of the car.

Engine 272 from w164 350
​​​​​​​
chassis (07-16-2021)