ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Joshinator99’s 2009 ML 63 AMG “Restomod” Build Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 09:26 PM

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts
ML 63 AMG
New Supersprint exhaust!

So my long awaited new exhaust system from Supersprint finally arrived! I did a full catback exhaust which consists of their resonated X-pipe mid-section , and both muffler & tail pipe sections with polished tips, all constructed from 304 stainless steel. The welds look fantastic, and each piece has permanent metal tags with product info to boot. Looks like we need some time on the lift to get this done asap! Big thanks to Roberto at @Supersprint Sport Exhausts who put together a nice savings over the normal website price too. As soon as I can get some lift time at my buddies shop, I’ll post more pics and maybe a video sound clip.

The following 3 users liked this post by Joshinator99:
Bahnstormer (02-13-2024), C43 Fun Haver (12-18-2023), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (12-16-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 07:52 PM

ML 63 AMG
While awaiting some time on my friend’s lift to do the Supersprint exhaust, I decided to finally bite the bullet and tackle the paint on the ML. It was a classic, daily driver, “look good from 15 feet away” paint job. Up close under the garage lighting (and especially bright sunlight), it was a horrifying mix of rock chips, swirl marks, and scratches. So, pretty much like my 2 year old Ford Expedition that I daily drive! 😂 The Expedition gets the “lifetime unlimited car wash pass” treatment since I drive it way too much to ever keep it clean and the local car wash chain is pretty brutal to the paint. Well, my ML looks like it had that exact same life…! My Camaro and the wife’s Mustang were both purchased new, so all they needed was a super light polish to make sure the paint was spotless and then ceramic coated. I haven’t had to break out the compound in a *long* time, so I was a bit nervous. I’m typically a Griot’s Garage guy since their stuff just works and it’s hard to screw up. But it was Christmas Eve and I realized I had some time to kill so I hit up the local auto parts store and found they had both Meguiar’s clay bar kit and compound liquid. I already had the Ceramic wax on hand and had ordered up the Dr. Color Chip kit a few weeks earlier too. Time to get after it!

First up was a full standard touch wash, followed by the full clay bar treatment. It was crazy how much gunk was embedded into the clear coat! Next up was the Meguiar’s compound which thankfully was super easy to use and broke down into a polish as you worked it…it was obviously tailored to amateurs which worked for me lol. The hood was so bad it took two full compounding efforts to get the swirl marks and most of the scratches out. I debated doing it a third time but didn’t want to push my luck with 15 year old clear coat. It was already a dramatic improvement so I called it quits while I was ahead. I also proceeded to compound the rest of the car. Then, a full wipe down with IPA/RO water 50/50 mix. Next up was the rock chip repairs. I focused on the major ones and probably filled in 15-18 chips with most being on the hood. I let that cure overnight and then the next day wiped it all down with IPA/RO water again and broke out the ceramic wax. This has has a fine polish built into it as well, so I worked that in across the whole car, wiping it down as I went. Final results are pretty dramatic…even the wife noticed it and she’s not a paint wizard by any stretch of the imagination. It won’t be competing against the Camaro or Mustang for nicest paint in the household, but I think the ML looks MUCH better and the wax will help protect it for the occasional winter ride too. 👍

I’ve owned my Griot’s buffer for over 15 years and she still runs like a champ.

Some pretty tough looking clear coat…!

Criminal abuse of the clear coat thanks to the previous owner’s car wash choices…

Scum getting pulled out of the hood’s clear coat by the clay bar!

Best way to fix rock chips IMO

Looking much better!

Paint is now worthy of parking next to the wife’s pristine Mustang GT
Bahnstormer (12-27-2023), BlackML550 (03-26-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (12-27-2023)
Old 01-28-2024, 07:15 PM

ML 63 AMG
Washer pump replacement

So the AMG doesn’t get much use with winter here but we do take it out on occasion…usually when I’m just sick of driving the Expedition everyday. So the wife and I took it out to run some errands. I went to clean the windshield, and no washer fluid. But since I’m still getting used to the AMG controls, I thought maybe I was screwing up. And the stalk placement is hidden behind the steering wheel so I literally have no idea what I’m doing. 😂 So I pulled over and double checked what I was doing, and sure enough the windshield washer fluid just wasn’t spraying. So I tried the back windows and no good there either. So I started looking for a blown fuse, but the washer pump doesn’t have one…! So I figured that the washer pump itself was dead. I thought for sure this would be some expensive crazy MB specific pump… but nope, $11 off Rock Auto! The shipping was more than the pump! I ordered up an extra grommet too since I assumed the existing one was from 2009 too…. EDIT: My gut instincts were right…! This pump is $101.00 from the cheapest MB parts site I could find! Gotta love Rock Auto for silly stuff like this. 👍

Thankfully the install was easy. Pull the drivers side front wheel, and pop off the front half of the wheel liner. Since I have the headlight washers too, I have two pumps. I followed the lines to make sure I was changing the right one! Make sure you have a good sized pan to go underneath…the W164 holds about 2 gallons of washer fluid! Put it all back together, good to go!

Pump on the right does the windshield and back window. Pump on the left does the headlight washers.

New pump and grommet.

Last edited by Joshinator99; 01-28-2024 at 07:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BlackML550 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 07:04 PM

ML 63 AMG
Exhaust time

So I finally got a chance to sneak the ML63 onto the lift at my local performance shop. These are the guys that helped me build my 1230 HP Camaro SS and I have way more money than I’ll admit into that exhaust system…! 😂 So I know they can weld if need be. Unfortunately I had to slog the ML through rain and snow to bring it in, but didn’t want to miss out on the opportunity. So I loaded up the new Supersprint system and brought it to the shop. This is my first time under the ML on a lift and I was surprised how huge the OEM mufflers are! The new ones are less than half the size and much lighter, so there’s definitely some weight savings. But my shop was very impressed with the Supersprint build quality! Very nice bends and great welds. My only beef was they make you reuse the factory bell clamps…kind of silly for an expensive exhaust. If I had known, I would have ordered new OEM clamps beforehand. But my shop was able to drill out the old clamp bolts and install new ones (M8 I believe), as the main clamp body was still good and able to be reused. And you need to reuse the OEM “spreader” bar too which is cheap piece of metal…wish they did something nice there. But really just minor nitpicking…overall it’s a beautiful setup! And the tips are VERY nice too. Once I get some miles on it and the mufflers break in, I’ll post up some sound clips. While I probably didn’t need the resonators, I didn’t want any drone at all, and I’m happy to report zero drone!

OEM mufflers and tailpipes

OEM x pipe

Previous owner did a resonator delete with auto parts store piping lol

New Supersprint laid out next to the OEM

New Supersprint X-pipe with resonators

New Supersprint mufflers, tips, and tailpipes
The following 5 users liked this post by Joshinator99:
Bahnstormer (02-13-2024), C43 Fun Haver (01-30-2024), Carbon Dated (01-30-2024), QuadBenz (06-12-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (04-04-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 08:41 PM

ML 63 AMG
Quick update on the Supersprint exhaust! I haven’t driven the truck too much in this crappy winter weather, but I’ve noticed the tone is significantly deeper than stock (a good thing). It’s definitely a bit louder as it’s breaking in, but still pretty tame and not obnoxious at all. Tips have stayed in alignment nicely too. If you definitely want yours a bit louder, you can opt for the plain X or H pipe without resonators (saves you a few hundred bucks too). But I was adamant about no droning so I don’t regret my decision.

Hopefully spring isn’t too far around the corner and I can get some more seat time behind the wheel and see what this exhaust sounds like at wide open throttle! 🍻

Last edited by Joshinator99; 02-13-2024 at 08:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joshinator99:
BlackML550 (02-14-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (04-04-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 08:07 PM

ML 63 AMG
So with winter winding up, I’ve got a bunch of work planned for the ML63 (on top of adding more power to my 1230 HP Camaro LOL). But I really can’t stand the everyday ride height of the ML…it’s just too high. I’ve noticed it’s riding too high at highway speeds, where the truck gets a bit more floaty than a high performance vehicle should. So I’m going to give the Evolution lowering links a try. Nothing crazy, I think a 0.5-0.75” drop will pay nice dividends. So they’re ordered up and should be in soon.

https://www.airmatic-lowering-links....-lowering-kit/

Last edited by Joshinator99; 03-22-2024 at 08:27 PM.
C43 Fun Haver (03-26-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 02:18 PM

ML 63 AMG
Fluidpalooza!

So after buying my ML a few months back, it appeared to have pretty solid service records…but I don’t trust anyone lol. So even though I’ve only put a couple thousand miles on it since buying it I decided to order up a bunch of fluids and do it all at once. Oil, filter, drain plug with washer, transfer case, front diff, rear diff, and power steering fluid along with a new reservoir. I’m happy to report that the engine oil, transfer case, and both diffs looked great…to the point that my tech joked he was going to take my “old” fluids and put them in his truck. 😂 But the power steering fluid was definitely a different story…skanky! We emptied the reservoir, added some new LiquiMoly, and worked the steering back and forth a bunch of times…repeating that process three times. We then changed out the reservoir and refilled the system with new fluid. MUCH better! So I think the power steering gets overlooked sometimes…check yours! Down the road will be a full brake system flush and a transmission fluid flush too. 👍

C43 Fun Haver (04-06-2024), QuadBenz (06-12-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 09:16 AM

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 ML63
This is the most loved W164 ML out there
Hope all is well !
Joshinator99 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 11:44 AM

ML 63 AMG
Originally Posted by C43 Fun Haver;[url=tel:8951241
8951241]This is the most loved W164 ML out there
Hope all is well !
I’m trying! Next up is a nice overhaul of the brake system coming up in a couple of weeks so I’ll make sure to post up some more pics.
Oh, also, I’ll have an email coming your way soon…need some help finding some random odds and ends.
C43 Fun Haver (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 12:11 PM

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 ML63
thanks for the heads up hahah
Absolutely! we'll put together a nice little shopping list for it.

Joshinator99 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 06:03 PM

ML 63 AMG
Next up was a complete refresh of the entire braking system! MB of Portsmouth had done the new brake booster under recall, and the selling dealer did the rear brakes maybe a year ago, but I still wanted everything fresh at once. Plus I could address some other items they didn’t do. The brake hoses were looking tired, the front brakes dumped WAY too much dust, the front rotors looked like they were wearing down, and I had not seen the parking brakes at all so no idea what their condition was. So I dropped the hammer and ordered up:
  • New Brembo dimpled UV-clear coated rotors all around
  • New Brembo Ceramic pads (virtually NO dust)
  • New Goodridge braided stainless steel brake hoses
  • Bosch parking brake shoes
  • Dorman parking brake hardware
  • Pentosin DOT 4 Super brake fluid
Took about 4 hours start to finish, which included a full flush of the brake system fluid. 👍

Front before

Front completed

Rear completed

Old parking brake shoes

New shoes and hardware

New Brembo ceramic pads vs old pads

New Brembo front rotors vs old

New stainless brake lines vs 15 year old rubber ones lol

Scary!
C43 Fun Haver (04-22-2024), Carbon Dated (04-20-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 09:32 PM

ML 63 AMG
Nothing too much lately. The ML is spending even more time in the garage with the wife’s Mustang and my Camaro finally out of hibernation. But my 22 year old son came up to visit and he couldn’t resist taking the ML to ride around with his buddies. An empty gas tank and 5 million bug splatters later, he dropped it back off… 😂. But I’m really happy he got to try it out… I think we’ve got another AMG fan on our hands now. So I gave the old girl a good bath and tucked it back in. She’s looking pretty good these days.

Bahnstormer (06-12-2024), QuadBenz (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 01:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 ML63 AMG (W164) and 2017 GLE43 AMG (W166)
Howdy! I was just going to create a post about giving some TLC to my old 2009 ML63 AMG W164... its my second one! I had a quote for nearly the car's value to replace the front control arms (upper and lower) so I'm putting it in my own arms.. hands rather. And while at it - figured I would do a number of items that have been on the list... And I just drove home a 2017 GLE 43 AMG earlier this week for two reasons - 1. it has better gas mileage AND... 2. I wanted to do some of my own work on the old beast and needed a second car.

So... I'll make my post here soon but my golly - thanks for all this btw! I was just going to update the front suspension and a bit more but ... now I must go further! Not switching out the exhaust though - that sounded like $$$ but looks great! I just took off the front wheels of my own and noticed the SAME EXACT wear and tear on the brake line - looks like I'll be doing the same work there as well. And my badge fell off in the engine bay too- I have the original so hoping I can glue it back on. Regardless - many folks are surprised to hear its a 15+ year old car.

Did the updated Airboxes make much a difference? What about the OE Tuning Stage 1? Let me know what's next with the W164 and I may follow suit! Thanks again!
The following 2 users liked this post by MrStoner:
C43 Fun Haver (06-12-2024), Joshinator99 (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac
What a great thread. Really enjoyed reading about your journey with your ML63. Keep up the great work!
The following 2 users liked this post by QuadBenz:
C43 Fun Haver (06-12-2024), Joshinator99 (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 10:10 PM

ML 63 AMG
Originally Posted by MrStoner;[url=tel:8984779
8984779[/url]]Howdy! I was just going to create a post about giving some TLC to my old 2009 ML63 AMG W164... its my second one! I had a quote for nearly the car's value to replace the front control arms (upper and lower) so I'm putting it in my own arms.. hands rather. And while at it - figured I would do a number of items that have been on the list... And I just drove home a 2017 GLE 43 AMG earlier this week for two reasons - 1. it has better gas mileage AND... 2. I wanted to do some of my own work on the old beast and needed a second car.

So... I'll make my post here soon but my golly - thanks for all this btw! I was just going to update the front suspension and a bit more but ... now I must go further! Not switching out the exhaust though - that sounded like $$$ but looks great! I just took off the front wheels of my own and noticed the SAME EXACT wear and tear on the brake line - looks like I'll be doing the same work there as well. And my badge fell off in the engine bay too- I have the original so hoping I can glue it back on. Regardless - many folks are surprised to hear its a 15+ year old car.

Did the updated Airboxes make much a difference? What about the OE Tuning Stage 1? Let me know what's next with the W164 and I may follow suit! Thanks again!
Thanks for following along! I can’t recommend the Supersprint exhaust enough…! Really great quality and just enough of a sound bump to let you know it’s there but never aggravating, no matter how long the drive. The ROW air boxes are a no brainer… probably 20 HP difference between those ROW air boxes and old, clogged up, original carbon filters & and too-small air boxes. I’ll be playing with the tune soon and will write up a post on it.

Originally Posted by QuadBenz;[url=tel:8984836
8984836[/url]]What a great thread. Really enjoyed reading about your journey with your ML63. Keep up the great work!
Thank you! Devil is in the details and feel like a machine of this caliber deserves the attention. 👍
Carbon Dated (06-13-2024), MrStoner (06-13-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (06-13-2024)