Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

I want to turbocharge my CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
I want to turbocharge my CLK

I went to a local performance shop today to talk about CAIs and while i was talking to the salesman another customer walks up and says is that Mercedes turbocharged? I dont know why he asked, but it got me thinking and i started asking the salesman how much it would cost to build a custom turbo kit on a low budget. He said he's done them for as low as $500 before (parts only) and on hondas mainly, but some mustangs too. He said he prefers kits, but where there are none available it is possible to modify an exhaust manifold to recieve a turbo and fabricate the piping, oil return lines, and intercooler for fairly cheap. He recommended looking on Ebay for Garret T4s and intercoolers. It turned up quite a bit, seems like the turbos themselves go from $200-500 and the intercoolers can be had for about the same range. My questions are
1) How will my engine handle the forced induction? It has 97k miles but has been taken care of and runs perfectly now.
2) Any ideas on how i could manage fuel pressure to make sure it doesnt run way lean and blow up? Can you put a fuel pressure regulator on a 320 engine?
3) Any ideas on how i could run piping or place a FMIC? I think i can find one that will fit the space i have, but most likely if i did this it would be a major, long project.
I realize his projection of $500 for parts seems quite rosey, but i do think this could put more power down for the money than something like a Kleeman blower or HKS kit. He estimated a 75 to 100 HP gain on the T4 turbo running less than 8lbs of boost.
I hope this works out because it would be amazingly original. I would appreciate any ideas, critiques, or experiences with turboing N/A engines that you could provide.
Here are some links i found:
http://search.ebay.com/turbo-t4_W0QQ...t4QQsacatZQ2d1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Old 06-24-2005, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
Building the hardware is not the problem it will be the software and air/fuel ratios. Turbo's can be at any boost at any RPM and keeping this under control is a big problem. You could buy and stand alone ECU but that will cost you about $1500 to $2000
The next problem is torque on the tranny. Turbos create large amount of tq and very violently not smooth like most superchargers. I'm sure your tranny will only last a few hundered miles. You could have your tranny built but that might be about $3000 or more to do that.
Most turbo companies won't even sell two a customer with an automatic.
my two cents

Mario

Last edited by E55Cent; 06-24-2005 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by E55Cent
The next problem is torque on the tranny. Turbos create large amount of tq and very violently not smooth like most superchargers. I'm sure your tranny will only last a few hundered miles. You could have your tranny built but that might be about $3000 or more to do that.
Most turbo companies won't even sell two a customer with an automatic.
my two cents

Mario
Hey Mario, thanks for the advice. Do you really think the transmission would blow up that quickly? I know CLK transmissions arent the best by any stretch of the imagination but Audi seems to do fairly well with their automatic transmissions on turbo cars with mods. I've seen them up past 300hp. Im not saying you're wrong, i'd just like to explore the options fully. Do you think i could controll the boost with a turbo timer or something similar?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:16 PM

AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
Originally Posted by King320
Hey Mario, thanks for the advice. Do you really think the transmission would blow up that quickly? I know CLK transmissions arent the best by any stretch of the imagination but Audi seems to do fairly well with their automatic transmissions on turbo cars with mods. I've seen them up past 300hp. Im not saying you're wrong, i'd just like to explore the options fully. Do you think i could controll the boost with a turbo timer or something similar?
You would need a wastgate to keep the boost low like around 4psi and a blow off valve when you are under boost but let off quickly. It is not so much the horsepower that will blow a tranny, it is the torque.
If I were you I would have my tranny fluid changed and save your money on a Vortec style supercharger. These blower are very linear, give great power and are much kinder to automatics.
If I I had to bet if your tranny would blow I would say "yes". I give your tranny less than 2000miles. If your software isn't perfect and you have hicups and the car bucks, this will cause the tranny's life to be even shorter.
Mario
Old 06-25-2005, 01:08 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I went to a local performance shop today to talk about CAIs and while i was talking to the salesman another customer walks up and says is that Mercedes turbocharged? I dont know why he asked, but it got me thinking and i started asking the salesman how much it would cost to build a custom turbo kit on a low budget. He said he's done them for as low as $500 before (parts only) and on hondas mainly, but some mustangs too. He said he prefers kits, but where there are none available it is possible to modify an exhaust manifold to recieve a turbo and fabricate the piping, oil return lines, and intercooler for fairly cheap. He recommended looking on Ebay for Garret T4s and intercoolers. It turned up quite a bit, seems like the turbos themselves go from $200-500 and the intercoolers can be had for about the same range. My questions are
1) How will my engine handle the forced induction? It has 97k miles but has been taken care of and runs perfectly now.
2) Any ideas on how i could manage fuel pressure to make sure it doesnt run way lean and blow up? Can you put a fuel pressure regulator on a 320 engine?
3) Any ideas on how i could run piping or place a FMIC? I think i can find one that will fit the space i have, but most likely if i did this it would be a major, long project.
I realize his projection of $500 for parts seems quite rosey, but i do think this could put more power down for the money than something like a Kleeman blower or HKS kit. He estimated a 75 to 100 HP gain on the T4 turbo running less than 8lbs of boost.
I hope this works out because it would be amazingly original. I would appreciate any ideas, critiques, or experiences with turboing N/A engines that you could provide.
Here are some links i found:
http://search.ebay.com/turbo-t4_W0QQ...t4QQsacatZQ2d1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Been there done that. Don't do it. You have no idea what you're getting into especially if you are on a budget. Anyone who tells you that they can build a custom one of a kind intercooled turbo kit for under $5k is lying. Then comes fueling issues, tuning issues, etc., etc., etc. These kits take sunstantial R&D in order to do them correctly. You're asking for a major headache.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:09 AM

The tranny on your car is actually pretty strong and the least of your worries.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:17 AM

Here's a custom kit gone crazy. You're looking at the first Kleemann modified Evolution 8. Just kidding, but it was their idea.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...MXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Old 06-25-2005, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by G55K
The tranny on your car is actually pretty strong and the least of your worries.
Think it could handle 350-400HP? What would a T4 turbo put on it as far as torque goes? I know it sounds unreasonable, but tuning a normally aspirated engine gets expensive after a while. I dont want to sell the CLK or anything, just looking for more original ideas. Ill post some specifics later.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:30 AM

Think it could handle 350-400HP? What would a T4 turbo put on it as far as torque goes? I know it sounds unreasonable, but tuning a normally aspirated engine gets expensive after a while. I dont want to sell the CLK or anything, just looking for more original ideas. Ill post some specifics later.
I really do think your tranny would be fine. You'd be much better of going with someone like Kleemann. The torque gains from a T4 would be very good depending on boost. However, it's not going to be as easy it sounds when it comes to making your car run well. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2005, 03:48 AM

1998 honda civic lx
Better safe than sorry IMHO. I'd go with a reliable and predictable company with a set price instead of trying to piecemeal something together that could end up costing you a fortune.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Almost a Member!

ebay turbos are crap... i know some people on this nissan forums with a rb25det(skyline gts) in their nissan 240sx and bought so turbos off the ebay they had alot of problems
Old 07-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you're looking to squeeze out power from your car safely with a minimum number of headaches, call Evosport @ 888.520.9971.
Trust me, hassle and headaches are not what you want, when you really need to be driving your monster!