Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

C200K (W203) w/Kleemann Pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K (W203) w/Kleemann Pulley

Thank you Linh, thank you BuellWinkle, for your advice. Always nice to read posts from you guys.

Well, I decided to go ahead with the pulley installation without setting the "Fuel Quantity" to stage 2.

Reasons:

(1) Our MB dealer is the only guy who has the Star Diag. and they are not very "friendly"...... and I'm not in the mood to argue with them. They tend to have the concept that MB's are such a "divine" product that we, the average "mortals" are not allowed to change anything.
(2) Bajaiman in Australia has already installed the pulley kit into his car without setting to stage 2 and had it Dynoed and the A/F ratio is good at between 12.9:1 to 13.1:1. We have exactly the same car (W203 C200Kompressor). (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/8564-kleemann-ring-pulley-fitted-updates-long.html)

Installation:
(1) I left my car in my friend's workshop overnight so we could work on it cold in the morning. The installation took just under 1 hour and everything fitted nicely.
(2) In order to access to the alternator pulley, we removed the Idler pulley, which was straight forward. We did not have to remove the alternator, just unscrewed the alt. pulley from above and replaced with the bigger (Kleemann's) one.
(3) We use Locktite on all 4 screws to attach the Kleemann's ring onto the crank and tightened each screw in turn.

Experience:
(1) The car is definitely more responsive now. My friend & I went for a test drive with his ToolRama (Ver. 5724F Cartridge) Diagnostic tool attached to the ECU. I was monitoring 3 live data's, namely O2 Pre, O2 Post & Knock control. O2 Pre fluctuates between 0.1V to 0.7V, depending on throttle position. O2 Post was always at 0.6V to 0.8V. Knock control is always at 0.
(2) I'll have to drive the car for a few more days to get a better feel of the added power.

Facts:
(1) NO shops in my area provides Dyno service (small market).
(2) We get Shell Premier RON 97 fuel.
(3) Weather could get very hot (up to 40 deg. Celsius) on a hot day. Altitude 60-70ft above sea level.

Questions:
(1) Kleemann's pulley is held onto the crank pulley using the 4 screws..... Problems over time ??
(2) With the 4 screws tightened onto the crank, won't it damage the threads on the original crank ??
(3) Is anybody familiar with ToolRama Diagnostic Tool ?? Is there any other Live Data's I could monitor if I want to get a good "feel" of Air Fuel ratio ?? I'm a bit worried about the lean problem thing.....

Regards
Old 07-31-2002, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
2) Bajaiman in Australia has already installed the pulley kit into his car without setting to stage 2 and had it Dynoed and the A/F ratio is good at between 12.9:1 to 13.1:1. We have exactly the same car
Because he's from Australia, so the fuel octane are higher and so his fuel setting might already be set at stage 2 or 3. Just dyno your car and you will see your A/F ratio. So far i see three new C coupe needed to set the fuel stage to stage 2 or 3. Mark Cumming, Buellwinkle and Renncpe, all three said that they need to reset the fuel stage.

Last edited by linh; 08-01-2002 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Is anybody familiar with ToolRama Diagnostic Tool ?? Is there any other Live Data's I could monitor if I want to get a good "feel" of Air Fuel ratio ?? I'm a bit worried about the lean problem thing.....
Since smog station required car to be on the test station similar to dyno machine, you can just pay $30 to check for A/F ratio in 3th or 4th gear and rev the engine all the way up to redline. You will see the A/F ratio on the screen but it might be scrolling too fast. Just give it a try.