Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Rating the AMG Tuners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yugos only
Rating the AMG Tuners

I have not ventured into the rarified air of AMG tuners. I have spoken to several people who have had success with Kleeman, Brabus and so on. But I also note a disturbing tendency for some of the upgrade packages (e.g. pulley packages for supercharged engines) to fail.
Admittedly, some of these packages are failing after many miles and maybe earlier designs with materials that are not as robust as the ones we're using today.

Is there any way of rating these manufacturers as far as actual performance, durability, and longevity goes. To the neophyte, many of the packages sold by the tuners' dealer appear to be very similar. If a package is poorly designed or installed, the consequences to the engine, transmission or suspension can be catastrophic. Perhaps these failures are not covered by a factory warranty.

Is there anyone out there who's taken the time to actually look at the manufacturers and rate them?

Perhaps an installer with a good reputation who's been in business for many years has some opinions on this matter.

Hope this is not too controversial or gores anyone's ox.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
The silence is deafening.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I had the same questions as well also with the quality and which gave the most added HP. I'm not too sure what I want if I want the best performing tune because I am guessing the best performer would create the most stress on the vehicle over time. I haven't heard of any issue directly caused by tunes, but I have heard people unhappy with the gains. Also many tuners use the same software provided by power chip so there isn't much difference and you wont hear the pros giving comparisons to their tune because it virtually the same tune. The only tuner that would bark about how much better his products were was MHP and Renntech and MHP got banned and I don't think Renntech is a sponsor.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:47 AM

2008 amg c-63
Hi, I'm new to this forum but just wanted to say that I just completed doing upgrades to my C-63 amg and after lots of research went with Kleeman parts but had them installed by Performance Auto works in Tallahassee because of all the good things I heard about Troy who in very well known for his work with Mercedes, Nobles, Porsche's. I was sceptical about spending the money but after doing so I am very happy. I asked him to install the stage 2 upgrades which is rated at 560 horse by Kleeman. I have never seen a mechanic work so hard and be as proffesional as Troy was, parts were removed directly after dino runs for base line, sent off and returned and immediatly installed and re-dinoed in less than two weeks(Amazing). Besides the obvious power increase I think the most noticable improvement was the work done to the rear end. This car hauls *** now compared to an already fast ZO-6 killer. Anyone wanting to do any upgrades to a vehicle they have should really consider calling Troy. He is the best mechanic I have ever met. Hope everyone has the same good luck I did with my car.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CL63, 2014 ML63, 2008 ML63, R500, GLK
I personally think it varies from car to car.

For the G55, I think VRP Tuning is the best bang for the buck.

S-Class, I think Carlsson takes the cake for performance upgrades and exterior mods.

Renntech does great with the other supercharged 5.5 engines and EvoSport with the 6.3 engines.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:29 AM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by princemarko
I personally think it varies from car to car.

For the G55, I think VRP Tuning is the best bang for the buck.

S-Class, I think Carlsson takes the cake for performance upgrades and exterior mods.

Renntech does great with the other supercharged 5.5 engines and EvoSport with the 6.3 engines.
definetly and 3.2K Eurocharged all the way.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I think our testimonials speak volumes...

http://www.veloceperformance.com/testimonial.htm
Old 09-19-2009, 12:55 PM

C230 Kompressor
www.evosport.com is were i would go to tune up. end of story