Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Kleemann s/c making noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 CLK320 Cab Kleemann SC
Kleemann s/c making noise

I had a Kleemann S/C installed on my CLK 320 ~ 2000 miles ago. It developed a rattle, diagnosed as a water pump problem. The pump was replaced but the noise persists. It's only noticable at idle (while sitting in the car). Should the unit be silent or am I paranoid?
Old 08-04-2003, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've never experienced that kind of noise in my car or any of the other Kleemann SCed cars I have been in, however, I have only been in SCed V8s, not V6s. Nevertheless, it doesn't sound normal.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are the 3rd or 4th Kleemann V6 owner to report that kind of problem.

Try to PM Ted Baldwin or Hank
Old 08-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Re: Kleemann s/c making noise

Originally posted by immuneone
I had a Kleemann S/C installed on my CLK 320 ~ 2000 miles ago. It developed a rattle, diagnosed as a water pump problem. The pump was replaced but the noise persists. It's only noticable at idle (while sitting in the car). Should the unit be silent or am I paranoid?
Your installer has contacted me regarding this problem. There are two possibilities that Donnie will discuss with you. Without going overly long here these are the possibilities:

New H2O pump is not seated fully into the driveshaft nose. Resulting in pulley bolts that appear to be tight but are not, allowing the pulley to rotate back and forth against the pulley bolts (fore and aft play) causing a loud ticking noise.

Previous water pump allowed excessive run out in driveshaft that allowed the drive couple to de damaged inside the SC transmission. Repair will require a bearing replacement in the transmission cover.

I doubt the second possibility as your third party mechanic verified the noise to be from the pump end of the assembly. The water pump replacement is tricky if you have never done it, I suspect this more than anything. In any case we will address the issue and fix it for you whatever it is.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:34 PM

Get it fixed/replaced under Kleemann warranty. Ask for a free rental while your car is out of commission. Kleemann is known for their top notch customer service. Demand nothing less.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:43 PM

1999 ML 430, BMW R1100s
Boy,

We all run in small circles, don't we??

Thanks for all of the replies, but the problem is being resolved by me and Brandon as it should.

I tried to talk the mechanic in Mass thorough the job, but he must have known a little more than me and didn't want to hear my words of wisdom.

I have done over 10+ units, new and taking one off and installing to 3 different cars.

I have NEVER had a water pump failure on the V-8.....only the V-6

I think we can all agree there was a problem here, but it will be solved shortly...Even if I have to fly from here to there to fix it! That is how I back up my products, even when they are purchased from someone else.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:00 PM

kleeman s/c noise

I'll back Benzmac on his commitment to Quality in his work. We both tried to get the MA mechanich to listen (to no avail). We're working through the problem. Kleemann USA has also been involved and is working with us. It's just bad luck. Would I do it again - sure, can't beat the performance though Kleemann should review the quality issues with the V6 units and come up with a root cause for the failures. If they can do it for the V8's they should be able to improve the V6.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Hank
Get it fixed/replaced under Kleemann warranty. Ask for a free rental while your car is out of commission. Kleemann is known for their top notch customer service. Demand nothing less.
Kleemann only warranties the parts - that's it. They have been helpful in working through the issue with the installer but that's where it ends.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:12 AM

kleeman s/c making noise

Another water pump was installed along with a new pulley. The noise is gone and we hope that this pump holds up (I was told its an improved design by Kleemann). The successful installation was acheived with the a lot of support from Benzmac.

Originally posted by benzmac
Boy,

We all run in small circles, don't we??

Thanks for all of the replies, but the problem is being resolved by me and Brandon as it should.

I tried to talk the mechanic in Mass thorough the job, but he must have known a little more than me and didn't want to hear my words of wisdom.

I have done over 10+ units, new and taking one off and installing to 3 different cars.

I have NEVER had a water pump failure on the V-8.....only the V-6

I think we can all agree there was a problem here, but it will be solved shortly...Even if I have to fly from here to there to fix it! That is how I back up my products, even when they are purchased from someone else.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:17 PM

1999 ML 430, BMW R1100s
Now that the problem is solved and I have had time to look over all of the parts that were returned, I think the problem was an installation error when the water pump was fitted to the supercharger at the factory.

There is a press fit of sorts when the water pump sandwiches the supercharger pulley to the shaft. We think the water pump shaft wasn't seated fully and the bolts were then pulled tight. This caused a noise. The pulley was riding on the bolts that were tight, but the pulley wasn't sandwiched, so it clicked back and forth.

The reason for me explaining all of this isn't to point fingers but rather to shed light on the situation. I don't think it was a part failure or production problem, but rather a final assembly problem at the Kleemann plant.

So, from now on, I am going to take every one apart and check them before the installation.

Thanks for all that care.

And, I almost forgot. Doc, you kick but. I can't get over that you did this at home.!!!!!!!

Last edited by benzmac; 08-18-2003 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice to see this was resolved...

Who's Doc?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:28 PM

1999 ML 430, BMW R1100s
HMMMM.....Let's see.

Immuneone IE.... A DOCTOR.

ps. Glad to here of the good things going on with your car! Good luck kicking a-- on the autocross track.