Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

I blew my E55 Engine!!! [Video}

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by Autostream
you guys just arent getting it!
This board can be read by ANYONE, including the defendant's lawyers in my case!
Exactly my point of why you shouldn't have said anything about your engine problems here.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:54 AM

05 sl600, 06 CLS55 AMG, 1971 Cuda
Old 12-09-2003, 08:13 PM
CHB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'79 300D, '85 300Dt, '99 CLK430
I'm thinking of added a vtec sticker cuz I hear they are good for 10hp
Don't forget about the carbon fiber look-a-like wing
Old 12-10-2003, 02:22 PM

1995 Ferrari Spider, Porsche 911 Turbo,01 Hayabusa, 01- E55
i didnt post this to have a legal discussion about my mods. I just thought you might get a kick out of an AMG V-8 running with one piston sitting in the oil pan

as for the carbon fiber wing, I prefer the metal ones you make your self at from parts at home depot, lol
Old 12-11-2003, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R170
i didnt post this to have a legal discussion about my mods. I just thought you might get a kick out of an AMG V-8 running with one piston sitting in the oil pan

as for the carbon fiber wing, I prefer the metal ones you make your self at from parts at home depot, lol
You've got to be kidding me autostream... This is the EXACT same car that was in all your "streetracing" videos. I'm sure MB would love to see those vids! It might not have been bored out to 6 liters, but you can be damn sure it was supercharged! Something that is easily "reversed". Watch the videos again folks, if you don't have them or autostream is not hosting them anymore, email me if you you care - Just listen to that undeniable roots blower WHINE! Never seen or heard a stock W210 E55 sound like that. I'm not meaning to stir up anymore legal trouble for you autostream - seems you did that yourself - but what your doing gives MB and AMG a bad name - you're claiming the AMG motor failed because the metal failed insinuating a design flaw - no matter how slight. This is not the case in this situation. When you first stated you had a supercharged W210 E55 AMG you responded to the question "what S/C system is it?" with "I don't even know what kind it is, it was like that when I bought it." or somthing to that effect. Seems to me that not enough thought or engineering could have gone into a chintzy off the shelf roots blower application - very likely running too much boost combined with advanced timing -> too much excess heat -> weakening metal in the block........ BOOM

Either that, or I am totally missing something... maybe the S/C whine is just from a speaker under the hood... That must be it. anyone have an owned pic?

Last edited by Dave OH; 12-11-2003 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:18 PM
Almost a Member!

W210
Are you still looking for an 01 E55 Long Block?
Old 12-19-2003, 02:40 AM

What the F**K

The car is on Long Island. It had Nitrous on the car. It was obviously a hack job.

As for the boring, who cares.

If it was and MB strips the car down, they will see the detonation and the boring.

Everybody I know on LI in the MB scene knows the car. It was beat to ****.

My friend that originally leased the car to the previous owner called me to tell me about it.

The problem I have here is that I already have problems with the dealers here and a hacked up E55 rolling into the local dealers screws me up with my car.

If you have so much money, then just fix the short block. If this car was bored out, it will be cheaper for you to just by another short block.

I thought you ran a high 11 with the car?
Old 12-19-2003, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
To be fair to Autostream, what I "read in between the lines" is that if the dealer had a look at the motor and said it failed because of mods he wouldn't have a problem, however he feels that it is just as likely the failure of something more basic that had nothing to do with any of this. All he seems to be asking for is a fair go. Why all the hate?

I recently had a idler gear failure on my motor bike. Now the dealer could have argued that I am running a race ECU with a greatly extended rev limit with cam timing modified to suit. The fact of the matter was that the idler gear failure was due to a bolt not being tightened sufficiently during assembly causing the gear to "walk" on the woodruff keys holding it in the correct position. The bike is now, rightly, being repaired under warranty.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:55 AM

My point is that this car had alot of work done to it. If it was just a supercharger with low boost , the dealer can not legally make these claims.

But if the dealer strips down this block and it really was bored out and juice was used, they have every right to not warranty it.

If it really isn't bored out, and did not ever use juice, then the car is stock and should be warrantied.

I am just worried because this is most likely happening at the dealers that were already giving me problems because of K&N's and different rims.

I can not wait to roll in my car with a supercharger on it now.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sajecw
Send your dealer a clear message, screw him and go somwhere else, not every service department is full of anally retentive twits.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:52 PM

I waited to start this thread AFTER the dealer denied the claim. So the next step is to sue the service manager and MBUSA. I have already posted on another forum about my custom turbo setup on my car. No doubt by now word will be out and all this dis-information will help my 'stock engine' case because nobody but me knows for sure.

stephens is correct. If MBUSA took apart the engine to 'prove' it wasnt stock and found it was modded, even though it wasnt, and the mods caused the failure, I would have no problem.
Hence the lawsuit, because they ARE breaking the law by not showing evidence on how the engine failed due to my influence.

anywayz, I have more than a few people scouring the earth for a block. One of whom found me from this thread so I am grateful.

as for all the smartypants', there is NO way to definatively prove that an engine failed due solely to turbocharging, supercharging, nor no2. 1 they all increase cylinder pressure and if that pressure is too much to handle, most likely a rod or rod bolts will fail and that is meaningless. 2 if it leaned out, detonation will f*ck up the piston and it will look exactly as if the knock sensors have failed which is what I think happened in my case.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Dave OH
......-> too much excess heat -> weakening metal in the block........ BOOM.....
I totally agree.

MY car had been in service (before I bought it) 4 times for overheating problems, 1 frayed belt, 1 defective overflow tank, 1 engine cooling fan clutch, 1 coolant low message

So that also helps my case, the metal pieces on the engine were destined to fail. so np, you are helping my legal issues!
Old 12-19-2003, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Good luck

My money is on MBUSA
Old 12-19-2003, 09:05 PM

Re: What the F**K

Originally posted by sajecw
The problem I have here is that I already have problems with the dealers here and a hacked up E55 rolling into the local dealers screws me up with my car......?
I think YOUR problems screwed me up with my car when it 'rolled' into the dealer with a stock engine
Old 12-19-2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by sajecw
But if the dealer strips down this block and it really was bored out and juice was used, they have every right to not warranty it..
I agree

I am just worried because this is most likely happening at the dealers that were already giving me problems because of K&N's and different rims.
out of sight, out of mind
guy, it takes less than a half an hour to remove those items and guarantee no problems so why not?

I can not wait to roll in my car with a supercharger on it now
maybe if your vanity mirror broke, fine. but anything powertrain related will NOT be covered, I assure you unless its a MB authorized supercharger.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Almost a Member!

W210
For whatever reason, it seems apparent that the dealer in question has an axe to grind with you. Most dealers are happy to get an engine replacement job- if they can handle it - it can be lucrative. Others on this forum can confirm that you can receive different treatment from a different service adviser.

Personally I had this same experience for a major warranty claim that the first dealer would not cover, but the second dealer did. Whenever you have a big claim like a motor blowing up, the regional MB rep gets involved and will make a judgement call based on the dealer's perspective. All the stories floating around about your 11-12 second motor doesn't help.

Try another dealer, lay all your cards on the table and see if they will help you. A very frank but extremely humble attitude works best. Expressing what you feel is legally entitled to you, is better left for the forum and not the service manager you will be begging for a new motor. Explain that you had a nasty blowout with your current service manager and now have an untenable relationship - because they will call them to get their side of the story.

Then pray that the next dealer will go to bat for you. If they like you, they will try to help, if they don't then you get the treatment you're getting now. This alternative to get a new engine is a whole lot cheaper than suing MBUSA and buying a used E55 motor.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:34 PM
CHB

'79 300D, '85 300Dt, '99 CLK430
I say you just engine swap and buy the s/c'ed 55 motor and have 500hp:p
Old 12-20-2003, 11:25 AM

I guess the main point here is this. If you can get your engine warrantied, you have just set a documented precedent for the rest of us.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by affalterbach
For whatever reason, it seems apparent that the dealer in question has an axe to grind with you. Most dealers are happy to get an engine replacement job- if they can handle it - it can be lucrative. Others on this forum can confirm that you can receive different treatment from a different service adviser.

Personally I had this same experience for a major warranty claim that the first dealer would not cover, but the second dealer did. Whenever you have a big claim like a motor blowing up, the regional MB rep gets involved and will make a judgement call based on the dealer's perspective. All the stories floating around about your 11-12 second motor doesn't help.

Try another dealer, lay all your cards on the table and see if they will help you. A very frank but extremely humble attitude works best. Expressing what you feel is legally entitled to you, is better left for the forum and not the service manager you will be begging for a new motor. Explain that you had a nasty blowout with your current service manager and now have an untenable relationship - because they will call them to get their side of the story.

Then pray that the next dealer will go to bat for you. If they like you, they will try to help, if they don't then you get the treatment you're getting now. This alternative to get a new engine is a whole lot cheaper than suing MBUSA and buying a used E55 motor.
This sounds like the best advice so far.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Am I missing something? The engine was modified, abused (call it what you want), blown up, all modifications removed and then presented to MB for warranty repair, right? Didn't the owner deny having modified the engine? Isn't this a fraudulent claim?

If the owner presented the engine as it was at the time of the catastrophe and then claimed the damage was caused by a non-related failed part, there isn't any fraud. Either way, I personaly doubt he stands a chance at winning but at least he's not risking a criminal charge. By hiding the modifications, you arne't doning the rest of us any favors when it comes time for a warranty claim of our own. It gives MBUSA and other manufacturers the ammo they need to go back to the governement for more protection from the lying, cheating, theiving public.

Or, maybe the talk of N20, turbos, boring and this entire thread is all just bull****.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by affalterbach
For whatever reason, it seems apparent that the dealer in question has an axe to grind with you. Most dealers are happy to get an engine replacement job- if they can handle it - it can be lucrative. Others on this forum can confirm that you can receive different treatment from a different service adviser.......

jealousy maybe? when my car was stocker than stock, they had no problem taking care of any warranty problem .... I come back 2 months later with $12k invested in visual and performance mods in and out and they start giving me lip about every freakin thing- getting my a/c fixed was even a hassle when the whole a/c system was bone stock.
I wish I was happy with a bone stock E55, however a bone stock e55 to me looks EXACTLY like my grandma's e320 so something had to be done
Old 12-23-2003, 04:10 AM

05 sl600, 06 CLS55 AMG, 1971 Cuda
[i]
I wish I was happy with a bone stock E55, however a bone stock e55 to me looks EXACTLY like my grandma's e320 so something had to be done [/B]
Great, you did it, now I guess you'll pay for it.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Almost a Member!

W210
I think it might be more interesting to have a 450+hp E55 that looks exactly like an E320 or the W210 diesel. You will get far more action on the street. A lot of guys are afraid to mess with an E55 at a stoplight because of the car's reputation. A faster car not paying attention will get smoked.

Until the motor throws a rod.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:58 PM

1995 C280
i finally reached the end of this story. it'll probably go on, but by now, i don't really care how it ends. good luck to whoever is doing whatever whenever....
Old 01-02-2004, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My dealer replaced my diff three times all the while saying that my RA-1s were too sticky and my clutch/flywheel too harsh. I guess my dealer is kewl? I doubt they would replace a $40k motor with work though, you know?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: I blew my E55 Engine!!! [Video}