Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

"Warning" about having your car "tuned" off-site

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Warning" about having your car "tuned" off-site

I was a believer that the guys programming chips and tuning a/f could do this off-site without seeing the car.

I could just send them my fuel-trim readings and wide-band readings and they could perform magic.

Well I have spent the last two or three days with my new A/F calibrator with my new injectors.

I have driven all over Long Island watching my A/F and short and long fuel trim. Watching each rpm range, vacuum range, fuel trim, idle map, cruise map..

I made at least 5000 changes on over 30 tunes to get the car running with a -.08 long term fuel trim and a short term trim that hovers around 0.

My mph has gone up considerably as well.

I have not even gotten to the boost range yet as I am just using factory settings and letting the bigger injectors take over.

A good tuner will tell you they need to have the car for the day(at least) and it has to be tuned on a dyno for WOT.

I am now convinced of this.

When I just installed my Supercharger and let the ECU "learn", I didn't realize that I was pegging out the system in certain areas.

That is why I had flat spots. Especially coming out of third gear.
Now the car is smooth all the way to redline.

Just my thoughts on something I am sure everyone has thought about doing. Calling up for the magic chip and then getting 40hp over the phone.

Powerchip wanted my car there and now I see why. Especially with all of my mods. The guys in Maryland said they could do it off-site and send it to Austria.

I am not endorsing Powerchip, I am just saying that did not want to take a stab in the dark and I respect that.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
please keep me informed of your project, Iam very interested.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:29 AM

Will do. The next project is to figure out how to retard the timing on boost, piggyback style.

It is alot easier figuring out the information on an oscilliscope from the crank signal than it is to decifer hex code.

I will post my track results as soon as I go. Hopefully this weekend.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:28 PM

2002 E55K RENNtech HP
Thumbs up

Good luck and hope to see some impressive times!!!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Originally posted by sajecw
Will do. The next project is to figure out how to retard the timing on boost, piggyback style.

It is alot easier figuring out the information on an oscilliscope from the crank signal than it is to decifer hex code.

I will post my track results as soon as I go. Hopefully this weekend.
What car are you tuning?