Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Any experience with HPS superchargers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2004 | 03:28 AM

03 CLK55
Question Any experience with HPS superchargers?

From what I've been reading, it sounds as if the Kleeman superchargers are the way to go for the most power, and also suposedly, reliability. What intrigues me about HPS Superchargers is that they can be bought and installed for about $8500, versus around $12500 (depending on labor costs) for the Kleeman system. What is even more important to me, is HPS's 4 year, 48000 mile powertrain warranty. If their supercharger damages anything, they'll pay for it. I understand that Kleeman has a warranty, but it's only one year.

The big minus about HPS in my book is that their system is not intercooled. I think I'd be satisfied with the extra power from HPS, but I'm mostly concerned about reliability. I want to know that my close to $80k car won't blow up!! Since Kleeman takes advantage of the intercooler by raising boost, which system do you think is the most reliable? The low-boost, non-intercooled HPS system, or the high-boost intercooled Kleeman system? Any input or thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated, as I'm really starting to consider one....

Best regards,
Matt

http://www.myhps.com/index.html

p.s.) I did do a search, but I was hoping to hear a little bit more, and the most recent updates on the subject...
Old 05-02-2004 | 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2003 CL55 AMG
If you do some searching on HPS and Kleemann on this forum i think you will find more than enough information that had been discussed previously to make an informed choice.
Old 05-06-2004 | 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Re: Any experience with HPS superchargers?

Originally posted by AMG///Merc
[B]The big minus about HPS in my book is that their system is not intercooled.
On the contrary my understanding is they will be releasing an intercooled intake MP112 system along with tuned software sometime in June.
Old 05-07-2004 | 01:41 PM
Out Of Control!

Re: Re: Any experience with HPS superchargers?

Originally posted by Richard023
On the contrary my understanding is they will be releasing an intercooled intake MP112 system along with tuned software sometime in June.
That's what i understood too. But we'll see.
Old 05-09-2004 | 12:51 PM

03 CLK55
Arrow That's why I posted a new inquiry....

Originally posted by Richard023
As I mentioned in my initial post, I did do a search, but I was hoping to learn about what's most recent and how those who have the HPS system are dealing with it. I'm in a real quagmire. My mind is telling me to wait, wait, wait and get the Kleeman, but the four year warranty of the HPS system is really attractive. I'm NOT keen on paying for a new motor! The Kleeman does seem to be the better engineered (sp?) sytstem, and most likely the most reliable, but the warranty really doesn't compare. Ideally, I'd like a Kleeman system with a slightly larger pulley to reduce boost a little bit. I'd rather have 475-500 hp with the added benefit of reliability...

Probably a stupid question, but is the stock CLK55 driveline capable of handling 500+ hp?

Best regards,
Matt
Old 05-10-2004 | 10:41 AM
Out Of Control!

Just ran my Kleemann E55k this weekened on a caravan going to the May 8th GTG/meet and must say that this kit is probably the best bang for your buck!

Matt

If you have a kleemann dealer near you and they have a demo kleemann car go test drive it! You won't be disappointed! Maybe in the next few months i should have the rest complete.
Old 05-10-2004 | 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: That's why I posted a new inquiry....

Originally posted by AMG///Merc

Probably a stupid question, but is the stock CLK55 driveline capable of handling 500+ hp?

My understadning is that it can handle up to 700 hp.

Save your money and get a Kleemann. Just my opinion.
Old 05-11-2004 | 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
Re: Re: That's why I posted a new inquiry....

Originally posted by Sleestack
My understadning is that it can handle up to 700 hp.

Save your money and get a Kleemann. Just my opinion.
I agree!
Old 05-12-2004 | 07:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Re: Re: Re: That's why I posted a new inquiry....

Originally posted by Timster
I agree!
:snicker:
Old 05-14-2004 | 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2003 CL55 AMG
Interesting this like popped up:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=69801
Old 05-14-2004 | 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
I thought some of the people that were on MBworld when I went thru all that BS, would like to see what goes on behind the scenes.
Tim