Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Tuned ECU reinstall - engine inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG C43
Exclamation Tuned ECU reinstall - engine inoperative

I have a 2017 C43 AMG Coupe, and I sent my ECU out to get tuned, and I just got it back and tried reinstalling it and I get an error saying inoperative, see owner's manual. The engine doesn't try to start or do anything. I called the shop that tuned it and they told me to disconnect the battery for twenty minutes, then reinstall the ECU and reconnect the battery. I tried this and it didn't change anything. The shop is closed now and I'm trying to get it fixed tonight. Does anybody have any ideas how to fix it without erasing the ECU and wiping the tune they just installed?

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-16-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Sarthur2013
I have a 2017 C43 AMG Coupe, and I sent my ECU out to get tuned, and I just got it back and tried reinstalling it and I get an error saying inoperative, see owner's manual. The engine doesn't try to start or do anything. I called the shop that tuned it and they told me to disconnect the battery for twenty minutes, then reinstall the ECU and reconnect the battery. I tried this and it didn't change anything. The shop is closed now and I'm trying to get it fixed tonight. Does anybody have any ideas how to fix it without erasing the ECU and wiping the tune they just installed?

Thanks for any help!
Did you try unplugging the ECU, checking to make sure none of the pins in the connectors are bent or damaged and then plugging the ECU back in making sure both connectors are fully seated? If the ECU isn't fully plugged in, you will get what you are describing.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:29 PM

AMG C43
I tried the whole sequence of disconnecting the battery, then the ECU, and reinstalled it again, making sure none of the pins were bent and that the connection was solid, but I still get the following error:

Old 11-17-2017, 01:04 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Well then it sounds like your ECU may have been bricked. Your car is not recognizing the ECU. Nothing happens when you try to start the car at all correct? No clicking from the starter? No engine cranking noise? Just sits there completely quiet right?
Strongly recommend you contact whoever tuned your ECU first thing in the morning. Likely you will have to send it back to them and if you're very lucky, they will be able to flash it back to stock and it will work. They may have simply over-written the portion of the
ECU code that mates the ECU to your vehicle. Shouldn't have to touch any of that code for a tune, but who knows at this point. If they can't re-flash it back to stock, then you're likely looking at having to buy a new ECU from MB. Obviously the replacement ECU is
not going to be covered by MB warranty. You will also have to give your existing ECU back to MB when the new one comes in. Likely MB will have to order the new one from Germany, that is preprogrammed for your particular VIN so it will recognize your car. Let is know how it goes.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C260
HI
check the pins on the connector needed use a light to see or the pins inside ecu is damage
because these new car ecu have to be bench flashed best of luck
narry
ps sometimes checksum doest match also since I have all device ktag cmd magic motor sports
Old 11-17-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Sarthur2013

Thanks for any help!
I am guessing you didn't unplug the battery when you removed the ECU and shipped it lol I have heard of this tons of times because people don't follow the instructions. Not a huge deal, though. If the ECU reset didn't work then you probably have to send it back for the tuner to reboot it. I would also recommend checking the pins and connectors. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:19 PM

AMG C43
Originally Posted by getmercd
I am guessing you didn't unplug the battery when you removed the ECU and shipped it lol I have heard of this tons of times because people don't follow the instructions. Not a huge deal, though. If the ECU reset didn't work then you probably have to send it back for the tuner to reboot it. I would also recommend checking the pins and connectors. Good luck!

Yep, you’re 100% right. I spoke to the tuners today and that was the issue. I didn’t have the right tool to disconnect the Mercedes battery when I sent it in, so I thought it would be no big deal. Totally my fault, so I’m shipping it back to the tuner and they’ll reset it for me. Hopefully second time is the charm!
The following users liked this post:
ecmexchange (11-21-2017)
Old 10-22-2019, 10:50 AM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
deleted