Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Reliability of Kleemann Supercharger in CLK500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Reliability of Kleemann Supercharger in CLK500?

Guys do you think if i will supercharge clk500 with kleemann supercharger it will last 5-6 years trouble free?
Old 05-14-2004, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
tough to say. alot of people on the forum have kleemann mods, and seem to like them. there some that do complain about its reliability.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I really wanna do it, i was considering alot of cars, but i can buy used CLK500 with 7000km/h not that expensive and do supercharger, LSD, brakes.... and it comes out even cheaper then the new M3 i was considering, BUT one thing keeping me off that project is warranty... KLeemann gives one year warranty and i dont want to blow my engine or have trouble with it or with the tranny.... so i'm kinda confused what to do....
Old 05-14-2004, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

have you considered other tuners? such as brabus and renntech? they do real quality work, and back their product. i have two brabus modded vehicle, and owned others in the past, and have to say no problems what so ever with the motor work.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally posted by ahopeter
have you considered other tuners? such as brabus and renntech? they do real quality work, and back their product. i have two brabus modded vehicle, and owned others in the past, and have to say no problems what so ever with the motor work.
Well brabus conversion to 6.1 is pretty expensive if you compare pricewise with 500 hp kleemann so as renntech....
Old 05-14-2004, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

but remember, you get what you pay for. brabus has been around the block..kleemann hasnt.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R170
but remember, you get what you pay for. brabus has been around the block..kleemann hasnt.
I love statements like this... How do you know "kleemann hasn't been around the block"?? They've been doing what they do longer than AMG has - does that mean AMG sucks? No. Kleemann has numerous cars with 10's of thousands of problem free miles on them. As for getting what you pay for from Brabus... you have to be kidding me - you pay for the name. 99% of their upgrades are ungodly overpriced, I would, without question not even think about Brabus if there was a Kleemann alternative.

Be able to qualify statements you make. And no, I don't have any affiliation with Kleemann
Old 05-14-2004, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Dave OH
I love statements like this... How do you know "kleemann hasn't been around the block"?? They've been doing what they do longer than AMG has - does that mean AMG sucks? No. Kleemann has numerous cars with 10's of thousands of problem free miles on them. As for getting what you pay for from Brabus... you have to be kidding me - you pay for the name. 99% of their upgrades are ungodly overpriced, I would, without question not even think about Brabus if there was a Kleemann alternative.

Be able to qualify statements you make. And no, I don't have any affiliation with Kleemann
i never claimed that kleemann didnt have any cars out there that werent problem free. i just stated my opinion on the reliabilty of brabus a worldwide known tuner, as opposed to kleemann an up and comer.
regardless of paying for the name or not, can you say brabus is not a true mb tuner that delivers serious results? exactly, brabus does make real results therefore you cant say "your just paying for the name".

and you shouldnt speak if youre not gonna read what was posted and read the context in which it was written.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i never claimed that kleemann didnt have any cars out there that werent problem free. i just stated my opinion on the reliabilty of brabus a worldwide known tuner, as opposed to kleemann an up and comer.
regardless of paying for the name or not, can you say brabus is not a true mb tuner that delivers serious results? exactly, brabus does make real results therefore you cant say "your just paying for the name".

and you shouldnt speak if youre not gonna read what was posted and read the context in which it was written.
This kind of relates to a discussion I was having with you in another thread. Brabus is definitely a great tuner and more recognized worldwide. They overcharge, but that is consistent with MB ownership in general. IMO, however, Brabus is a tuner for the really old rich guy who just wants an exclusive MB without all the risks of tuned cars. Brabus uses big block V12 conversions rather than trying to max out the power of a SCed V8. They use extremely heavy wheels that look great, but wouldn't be the choice for the performance minded. In other words, their tuned cars are very consistent with the MB mold. That isn't a bad thing, just different than a company like Renntech.

Renntech is another great tuner, however, they are much more willing to push the limits of an MB and more single minded in their performance oriented tuning. IMO, Brabus and Renntech cater to 2 very different types of MB buyers.

As I've said before, Kleemann is the new kid on the block when it comes to tuning in general, however, I would think that their knowledge of SC systems is as good if not better than the others.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:48 PM

Is over 15 years still the kid, damn what does it take
Old 05-14-2004, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL

Please SHOW us the PROOF that KLEEMANN has ben in Biz longer than AMG...

PHILOSOPHY
Our very simple philosophy is that "only the best is good enough". This explains very well why we have chosen to concentrate all our efforts on developing and producing Kompressor systems for Mercedes-Benz. The best compressor for the best car!

Eighteen years of tuning Mercedes-Benz cars have given KLEEMANN A/S the expertise and know-how required to offer Mercedes-Benz owners the benefits of a well designed and efficient Komressor System.

STORY

KLEEMANN A/S was founded in 1985 near Copenhagen, the Capital of Denmark.

Two enthusiastic young men turned their passion into their living, tuning and styling of Mercedes-Benz vehicles. In 1988 the construction of the first Kompressor System began for a select group of customers. This was the beginning of a new era, the development of Kompressor systems as the most effective tuning solution.

In 1994, with the entry of a joint owner, KLEEMANN A/S began the mass production of Kompressor Systems. Many years of tuning Mercedes-Benz vehicles has given KLEEMANN A/S the expertise that now benefits Mercedes-Benz owner around the world.

This is from KLEEMANNs site...
AMG has BEEN around since the 60s
Need to get the facts straight...... Do The Math!

The small engineering office set up in 1967 to design racing engines is now a factory supplying engines for the sportiest production vehicles in the Mercedes-Benz car range.

Innovations
Engineering is our passion: combining our experience, precision craftsmanship and state-of-the-art production facilities with our extensive technical expertise, we create masterpieces of automotive technology.

Unique Manufacturing
Customisation and Advanced Mobile Media: we realise automotive masterpieces and change your car in a mobile concert hall.

Engine Manufacturing
Engine manufacturing based on our philosophy of "one man, one engine": the heart of your car is made in hand craftmanship.

Motorsports
The Mercedes-AMG engineers extensive knowledge about the design and manufacture of high-performance sports cars is in large part derived from racing.

Career
Just as our cars are powered by high-performance engines, so our company is powered by high-performance employees.

Sponsoring
The success of Mercedes-AMG over the years has been built on performance, quality, safety, passion and personal dedication.

Dates
Here

Last edited by MARK CUMMINS; 05-14-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Sleestack
This kind of relates to a discussion I was having with you in another thread. Brabus is definitely a great tuner and more recognized worldwide. They overcharge, but that is consistent with MB ownership in general. IMO, however, Brabus is a tuner for the really old rich guy who just wants an exclusive MB without all the risks of tuned cars.

As I've said before, Kleemann is the new kid on the block when it comes to tuning in general,
Sleestack, i was wondering when you were gonna join this post.

doesnt everyone overcharge for the full mb experience? as far as what you said about brabus being for the old guy... thats crazy. im really young and i love my tuning... and i think that brabus is a great tuner oriented to exclusivity, performance, and class.

and doesnt everyone want an exclusive car without "all the risks of tuned cars"?...like you said? you want to get your car tuned and have to worry about the tuning done? thats one seriously messed up statement.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sleestack, i was wondering when you were gonna join this post.

doesnt everyone overcharge for the full mb experience? as far as what you said about brabus being for the old guy... thats crazy. im really young and i love my tuning... and i think that brabus is a great tuner oriented to exclusivity, performance, and class.

and doesnt everyone want an exclusive car without "all the risks of tuned cars"?...like you said? you want to get your car tuned and have to worry about the tuning done? thats one seriously messed up statement.
Everyone does overcahrge for the MB experience. I did not mean to limit that statement to Brabus.

If you think about the way Brabus tunes v. Renntech, they are very different. Sure, if you are talking about ECU upgrades and standard components like suspension, every tuner is doing something similar. However, if you look at the more involved engine tuning, Brabus uses big block drop ins to get similar power that companies like Renntech, Kleemann and Evosport squeeze out of SCed V8s. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, however, it is a much more conervative approach. BMW owners always ask why MB can't get the same output out of their motors as BMW. Part of the reason is b/c MB places such a premium on building alot of redundncy into their critical components. Instead of getting a N/A 6 cylinder to push out 300 hp+ by running it closer to detonation, they take a 6 cylinder and run a low boost SC.

Don't get me wrong. Brabus does a fine job. If you are talking about minor tweaks in suspension, ECU, brakes, etc, most companies get their parts OEMed anyway, so I think the differences between tuners is marginal. When you get to their full conversion or big ticket upgrades, I think it is pretty clear that Brabus takes a more conservative approach.

As for the risks of tuning.... any major upgrade is going to involve risks. High performance tuning is not for the risk adverse. Again, I'm not talking about the more generic tuning. I'm talking about big block conversions, SC bolt ons, etc. Of course Brabus is a performance tuner, however, just like MBs in general, that is balanced with their desire to maintain the civility of MBs. Other tuners are far more single minded in their desire to squeeze out performance. I really don't think that is a knock on Brabus, just a reality.

And just so you know, I spent alot of time with Brabus prior to the first round of MKB tuning I had done. Even though they wanted my business, they admitted that their only soultion for me was a big block drop in. They ended up selling me wheels... which I promptly sold b/c they weighed 34lbs a piece.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sleestack, whats your point in all that?

i was asking why you would say that brabus is for people who dont want to have to worry about tuning that was done. i ask because NO ONE wants to have to worry about their expensive tuning that they paid for.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sleestack, whats your point in all that?

i was asking why you would say that brabus is for people who dont want to have to worry about tuning that was done. i ask because NO ONE wants to have to worry about their expensive tuning that they paid for.
You asked several questions and made a statement about my comment on Brabus. I was just answering your question and clarifying what I meant about Brabus.

You are taking me too literally. Of course you don't want to worry about a big ticket tuning project, however I think anyone who has ever been involved in a significant tuning project understands there are risks involved. Brabus' comprehensive warranty and their more conservative approach to tuning reduce some of those risks. That is not to say that cars pumped out by Renntech have problems, however, their cars are clearly marketed to a different type of buyer.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R170
Originally posted by MARK CUMMINS
[B]Please SHOW us the PROOF that KLEEMANN has ben in Biz longer than AMG...
Kleemann has been supercharging Mercedes' longer than AMG - That's what I meant. The Kleemann and AMG supercharger systems are very similar, AMG has only been using that system for a few years, Kleemann's system was out long before AMG's was. Add that to the fact that Kleemann's is much more efficient. I said nothing about Kleemann having been in the benz tuning business longer than AMG.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Kleemann has been supercharging Mercedes' longer than AMG - That's what I meant. The Kleemann and AMG supercharger systems are very similar, AMG has only been using that system for a few years, Kleemann's system was out long before AMG's was. Add that to the fact that Kleemann's is much more efficient. I said nothing about Kleemann having been in the benz tuning business longer than AMG.
Are you sure about that? Assuming that AMG uses Mercedes-Benz technology then AMG's knowledge of supercharging is much greater than Kleemann's. Why do you say Kleemann's is more efficient?
Old 05-15-2004, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are taking me too literally. Of course you don't want to worry about a big ticket tuning project, however I think anyone who has ever been involved in a significant tuning project understands there are risks involved. Brabus' comprehensive warranty and their more conservative approach to tuning reduce some of those risks. That is not to say that cars pumped out by Renntech have problems, however, their cars are clearly marketed to a different type of buyer.
im not taking you too literally, but then what is the figurative aspect of what you said?

of course people know there are risks involved in heavy tuning... but with the benchmark names that renntech and brabus have made for themselves i think they are more reliable than a kleemann who wasnt been as known at any level in any category.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by crapbuster
Are you sure about that? Assuming that AMG uses Mercedes-Benz technology then AMG's knowledge of supercharging is much greater than Kleemann's. Why do you say Kleemann's is more efficient?
yeah, why?
Old 05-15-2004, 09:38 AM
CRB

Originally posted by Lucas
Is over 15 years still the kid, damn what does it take
Okay, okay, Kleemann is the horny, pimple-faced teenager on the block. Happy now, Lucas?

I think by efficient he meant that the Kleemann system has a much better intercooler that allows it to use less boost to produce good power with stock internals.

Last edited by CRB; 05-15-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

im not taking you too literally, but then what is the figurative aspect of what you said?

of course people know there are risks involved in heavy tuning... but with the benchmark names that renntech and brabus have made for themselves i think they are more reliable than a kleemann who wasnt been as known at any level in any category.
You really just want to be stuck in an eternal pissing match don't you? I'm not even talking about Kleemann. I'm talking about the difference between Brabus and Renntech. If you can't see the difference between the 2 tuners and how they each cater to a different type of consumer, I don't know how to help you.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You really just want to be stuck in an eternal pissing match don't you? I'm not even talking about Kleemann. I'm talking about the difference between Brabus and Renntech. If you can't see the difference between the 2 tuners and how they each cater to a different type of consumer, I don't know how to help you.
first i couldnt care less about you to get in a "pissing" match. you may be talking about renntech and brabus, but ive been talking about renntech and brabus versus kleemann. and yes i know the difference and can clearly see the differences of brabus and renntech. my whole thing is that i dont think kleemann is as known, successful, or as elite as renntech or brabus.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

whole thing is that i dont think kleemann is as known, successful, or as elite as renntech or brabus.
Yeah, exactly, That's the problem. That's all you want to keep saying, however, I'm not even disputing that point with you. I'm not even sure why it is so important to you. Each tuner is very different and pumps out sick cars. I don't know what cars you have or what kind of tuning you have had done, but just be happy there are a growing number of choices available.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sure sure.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
ahopeter: Do us a favor and go grab a copy of Sport Compact Car (the big evo bash issue) from your local market. Read the very last three lines (i believe) of the Evo bash

"Different tuners. Different Philosophies. Differen't Results."

something along those lines. Tuning isn't a 2D grid. It's more complicated then that. That's what makes it so fun. You don't like one thing you can easily pick something else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reliability of Kleemann Supercharger in CLK500?