Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

ABC coilovers R230 CEIKA THE WORST

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R230
ABC coilovers R230 CEIKA THE WORST

I recently completed a coilover swap on my R230 2003 SL500, no question I made the right decision losing the old hydraulic system for coilovers, I had 2 major issues after only owning the car 3 weeks and that was all I needed to understand I was facing a losing battle trying to maintain the ABC system. I was able to find some good information online about switching to coilovers but there were a few critical questions I could not find the answers for so I hope this help fill in the gaps. One of the most important issues is what coilover to go with, there are only a few to chose from. As important as the company you chose, finding the correct spring rate is the real problem, there is no independent information I could find any where about this and it was a big issue for me, I wanted to lower my car so a stiff spring rate was a requirement. I am going to list the coilovers that I was able to find, I am not saying this is all of the choices available but they were the only ones I could find.

Strutmasters: They make a product that is a basic shock with a spring over it and most people are happy with their product if lowering or raising the car was not an issue. their system is NON adjustable. Its is pricey but at least they have posted very good videos on removing and installing, (the part about hammering the steel sleeve back into the lower rear control arm was really helpful, you cant put the new strut in without doing that first.)

RMT: These guys are truly in it for the money, their system is a NON adjustable basic shock with a spring over it, non rebuild-able and they charge you $5000!!! granted they do provide you with the power steering pump, that they sell for $500 that you could buy on Amazon for $60 and sway bars they charge $1000 A PECIE, they also have a deal where they seem to sell you a rebuilt ABC strut for $300 (50% less than any other) until you read the fine print and see that you have to send in you old strut as a core. Now that is some creative greed at work there. They spend $50 rebuilding you old core and resell it.

KW Coilover: I really never considered them, their product looked good but at over $3500 they were a bit much, they are however a quality looking fully adjustable system and look to be one of the best options

The next 3 are basically all the same in that they have their product built in Taiwan, they carry no stock on hand and use clever marketing claiming that every system is custom made. Basically the are just middle men all selling the same basic product from the same manufacture in Taiwan with minor difference. However I found these coilovers to be the best option, they are fully adjustable, they are rebuild able, and they were reasonably priced.

Emotion Coilover Suspension: WINNER!!! These are ones you want. They are the only coilovers that provide you with the correct spring rate 26k front 20k rear, they are fully adjustable, they are rebuild able, and at $1010 are the best price yet as good as all that is the best part is that they are available through Amazon so you have the piece of mind that will not be rip off if something goes wrong.

Ceika Coilovers: THE WORST OF ALL If only take one thing from this post let it be that you understand the roaches running this joke of a company. They sold me a set of coilovers I can't use because of the weak spring rate they used on my setup even after I had ordered the coilovers with a much stiffer spring. They don't warranty their products and everything they claim on their web page is FALSE.

BC Racing: They have been around and I remember hearing they were a decent coilover from others, spring rate they offer for the R230 are 18k front 16k rear.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55
Silver's NEOMAX

I would like to add another coilover offering to the list. Silver's Neomax seems to a part of the Taiwan conglomerate as these are where mine shipped from. Their spring rate is 28k front and 20 rear. After two years of contemplation and research I finally pulled the trigger and felt the Silver's were a good purchase based on several reviews on other makes/models and one r230 youtube reviewer. The Silver's also has a 18 month warranty.

Last edited by jruerph; 06-01-2020 at 10:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
notstock (01-08-2022)
Old 06-19-2020, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL500 Black/Burgundy and 1999 SL500 Firemist/Java
Very Greatful

I have been refering to the forum for a couple of years, anticipating buying an R230 (I bought one in December). I wanted to learn all I could before purchasing it, to see if I could actually afford to "own" one given the likely possiblilty of having to repair ABC, Fuel tank Baffle, ABS and the top, along with the "regular" things that come up from owning any car.
If owners did not share their repair, maintenence and relationship issues with these cars, I would not own one, so I want to express my gratitude to each of you for your contribution.

I am facing repair or replace the ABC currently and think I have enough information to make the "right" decision and affect the "right" fix because of what's been shared here, but I have one thing I'd appreciate input about.
In some of my reading, I've gotten the impression that a couple of owners have replaced their ABC Struts with Arnott struts that are designed to replace Airmatic Struts? If contacting Arnott they say they don't have a "coilover" replacement for the R230, But I think that's to protect their "ABC Rebuilt" offering. One owner says to just order the replacement for any Airmatic model, but I need to confirm that before I risk buying something that won't work.
Any confirmation, either way is appreciated.
If it won't work, I'll likely do Silvers Neomax, given the "rave" reviews they are getting.
Thanx all.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55
The R230 has a hydraulic suspension whereas AirMatic is Mercedes' air suspension system offered on a variety of lesser models. Arnott does not offer a coilover replacement for the r230 but they do sell rebuilt hydraulic struts.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts
95 SL600
So between the silvers neomax and the emotion kit which look strikingly similar, which is the one to go with? About $150 difference but it looks like silvers gives more options. Spring rates are close but slightly different.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
I went with Silver's Neomax...BUT have not installed yet.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 SL55 AMG
@Tomcat SL did you install the silver's neomax and install? if so anyfeedback?
Old 04-04-2024, 04:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Ajai Thomas
@Tomcat SL did you install the silver's neomax and install? if so anyfeedback?
Yes, neomax and sway bars and I can say that although I think a fully functional ABC system being active is the best. This is an excellent alternative and essentially maintenance/trouble-free. Ride height is great. I made it slightly lower than the factory and compliance is very good for highway and spirited driving.