Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Part 2: Kleemann "ring" pulley install..................

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Part 2: Kleemann "ring" pulley install..................

I have to admitted that the hardiest part of install Kleemann pulley is trying to remove the "alternator pulley" that is still attach to the car. There's no way you can remove it while under the car because you don't have anything to grab it fron spinning. DO NOT use the via grip to hold the alternator pulley and try to remove the screw. You WILL damage the alternator pulley. Don't even try to attemp doing it this way !!! You will lose SO much time. The trick to remove the alternator pulley without damage the pulley is by using an "air gun" (air gun is the ONLY way to remove it without damage or even a scratch on the pulley). Since i don't have one at home, my next option is to remove the alternator completely from the car and take it to the shop and pay a couple dollars for them to remove and install the Kleemann alternator pulley back in. That is what i did..........
Old 05-25-2002, 11:52 PM

pic 1

Remove the alternator "positive" and "negative" ground wire.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:54 PM

pic 2

This picture show you one of the screw that hold the alternator to the engine bracket.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:57 PM

pic 3

This picture show you the other alternator screw (there's only two screw that hold the alternator to the engine bracket).
Old 05-26-2002, 12:01 AM

pic 4

Alternator is completely removed from engine bracket. NOTES: once the two alternator screw is remove, use a long flat head screw driver to pry out the alternator from the engine bracket.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:04 AM

pic 5

This is the alternator engine bracket.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:05 AM

pic 6

Kleemann new alternator pulley is installed !!
Old 05-26-2002, 12:12 AM

pic 7

This picture show you my finger is pointing at the engine bracket screw "sleeve". Before you re-install the alternator back in to the engine bracket, you MUST use the hammer to knock the screw "sleeve" out flush with the inner engine bracket surface or there's no way you be able to install the alternator back into the engine bracket.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:16 AM

pic 8

I think Kleemann should provide the loctice to use with the pulley screws but they didn't, so i bought my own ($8 for this little bottle).
Old 05-26-2002, 12:20 AM

pic 9

Kleemann "ring" type pulley is installed !!! Notices that i also used the socket driver to turn the crank pulley to tight all 8 pulley screws.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:23 AM

pic 10

This is what it should look like when all the belts is installed. NOTE: Install the belt is the same way as you remove it.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:54 AM

Here's my honest opinion about the Kleemann "ring" pulley:

1) I think the "ring" need to be refine for a tighter fit onto the factory crank pulley. I was surprise that there's about 1/4 gap between the "ring" pulley and factory crank pulley when i pre-fit it. make it difficult when centering the "ring" onto the crank pulley. So, my only way to center the "ring" onto the crank pulley is by pre-install all the 8 screws in first then install the "ring" onto the crank pulley. It very importance to center the "ring" onto the crank pulley because if the "ring" is install off to one side of the crank pulley, it can cause vibration.

2) The "ring" is made out of steal and to my surprised it kindna heavy, therefore, it might have to much weight offset to one side of the crank pulley. Long term effect? I don't know.

3) I'm not to crazy about the new S/C whinning noise. I like it quit...lol. Is just me.

4) The hp/tq. gain is AWESOME !!!! Specially mid-range and top end power. Really nice for passing another car on the freeway. And the most importance thing and that is, there's NO "black hole" any where on the power band. The relocation of the MAS did solved the "black hole" problem !!!!

5) Now that has done the installation myself. I will offer to do the installation for only $50 (shop time) and my labor is "FREE" if you don't mind drive down to beautiful sunny San Diego..:>)).
Old 05-26-2002, 03:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Linh,

Glad you're happy with the results. I wouldn't have any worries about the long term effects of Kleemann products. They are designed to be fully reliable for the daily driver. Remember, countless hours of testing were performed before the pulley was released to the public. That is why the alloy pulley isn't released yet. I wouldn't worry about the whining noise, even the RBTech exhaust I used to have became tuned out after a few weeks. Final impressions... Was it worth the $599?

Thanks

Ben
Old 05-26-2002, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
help ...

installed friday on an '01 slk230 but tonight something seems wrong. 1st the battery discharge warning goes off. then there is like a clicking sound and wierd smell. then it seems like throttle is not really responsive dont experiment (no supercharger?). stop and see that the belt is still on all the pulleys but their is a wierd shudder or someting that is causing the clicking around the bolt-on pulley area ... so did the reputable shop i took it to somehow mess up on the easy install? can i limp to them or should i tow? should i take it to the dealer? maybe not meant to have pulley kit? is it another problem? TIA.
Old 05-27-2002, 04:35 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Excellent work linh. I (and probably many with me) appreciates your documented story of the Kleemann ring install. I think the install procedure will not differ very much from the SLK, C-coupé and C-sedan. Thanks again!

Edit: By the way, can't you ask some moderator to merge the part1 and part2 thread together? It would be great to have this info in ONE place.
Old 05-27-2002, 02:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally posted by linh
Here's my honest opinion about the Kleemann "ring" pulley:

1) I think the "ring" need to be refine for a tighter fit onto the factory crank pulley. I was surprise that there's about 1/4 gap between the "ring" pulley and factory crank pulley when i pre-fit it. make it difficult when centering the "ring" onto the crank pulley. So, my only way to center the "ring" onto the crank pulley is by pre-install all the 8 screws in first then install the "ring" onto the crank pulley. It very importance to center the "ring" onto the crank pulley because if the "ring" is install off to one side of the crank pulley, it can cause vibration.

2) The "ring" is made out of steal and to my surprised it kindna heavy, therefore, it might have to much weight offset to one side of the crank pulley. Long term effect? I don't know.

3) I'm not to crazy about the new S/C whinning noise. I like it quit...lol. Is just me.

4) The hp/tq. gain is AWESOME !!!! Specially mid-range and top end power. Really nice for passing another car on the freeway. And the most importance thing and that is, there's NO "black hole" any where on the power band. The relocation of the MAS did solved the "black hole" problem !!!!

5) Now that has done the installation myself. I will offer to do the installation for only $50 (shop time) and my labor is "FREE" if you don't mind drive down to beautiful sunny San Diego..:>)).
linh-

1. Your car is an early model- as indicated by moving the MAF. As I told you before the rings DO NOT WORK with the older cars- the cranks are not the same. Hence your gap problem. If you went ahead and ordered a ring anyway this cannont be my problem.

2. The ring is not steel but alloy. Try using a magnet on it and you will see. When you put the ring on a car its designed for its nearly a press fit- there will be no offset- imbalance problem.

3. Personall preference- most people like it.

4. Of course the power is there- many people have posted as much. You are making even more boost than normal by using the wrong part. The 1/4" gap means the total overall diameter is that much larger. Im surprised you dont have detonation at WOT.

5. How can you say something is free when you charge $$ ? Odd.

Without sounding too insulting (which I am not trying to do) this is EXACTLY why dealers should be the only ones to install parts. You have tried to save some $$ and I can understand that. The rings are for POST May 2000 vehicles ONLY. Even after I had told you it wouldnt work you ordered a ring from one of our dealers anyway. Now you are posting about the poor fit?? Its not meant for that car!!
Old 05-27-2002, 02:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Re: help ...

Originally posted by MagmaSilk
installed friday on an '01 slk230 but tonight something seems wrong. 1st the battery discharge warning goes off. then there is like a clicking sound and wierd smell. then it seems like throttle is not really responsive dont experiment (no supercharger?). stop and see that the belt is still on all the pulleys but their is a wierd shudder or someting that is causing the clicking around the bolt-on pulley area ... so did the reputable shop i took it to somehow mess up on the easy install? can i limp to them or should i tow? should i take it to the dealer? maybe not meant to have pulley kit? is it another problem? TIA.
MagmaSilk-

Charge light stays on, belt not moving and strange clicking with wierd smell. The set screws on the ring were never tightend. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR!! Yes, it looks as if the simple job was not done correctly.

The set screws need to be tight and use loctite red or blue. What you smell is the hard coat on the inside of the ring being burned by the massive friction.

You have no SC at the moment because the drive belt is slipping (not really the belt but the drive mechanism). Once this problem is fixed it will be as normal.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:46 PM

Kleeman,

Thanks god for your post !!!! I was totally right all along about the "ring" pulley that it does not make for my Slk after i install it because first of all the fit is not right and that i can tell even i'm not an "engineering". Kleemann, I did not order the "ring" from Brad at Evosport. I actually told Brad and Ben that i has talk to Kleemann USA about the "ring" type pulley and Kleemann told me that they only made for the C-coupe class, but Brad told me that NO, kleemann now also make the "ring" type of pulley for my 1999 Slk 230. Brad then told me that he will go ahead and order the crank pulley and "ring" type pulley. When it come, i will have the option to pick between the crank pulley or the "ring" type pulley. But when the order finally arrive, there's was no crank pulley and only the "ring" type pulley and that's how i end up with the "ring" type pulley. This could has been a very costly mistake "Brad" make to his customer. I also called "Ben" up last night and told him about the problem i'm having with the "ring" type pulley that they send me. Ben, then told me that, they (Evosport) have install it on the car before and the fitment is tight and there were no problem what so ever with the engine. Ben, promised to call me back Tuesday morning.

"Dentotion" you ask?? Lucky for me, I know about when it come to "tunning" an engine. If i didn't, my engine would blew up already. I new exactly what had happen to my car when i finally took it up to MAX boost and the car start to "ping" (clicking noise). I then sto the car and check all the pulley and everything was fine. When i got home and disconnected the battery to for 5 mins. then went out again for the second normal driving test drive. There's was no "ping" at all until i took it up to max boost again in just one gear and the problem then accure again. That's is when i new right away that my car is OVER BOOST and dangerously "lean" out. That when i decided to remove the pulley kit !!! Kleemann, i new about the "detonation" with your "ring" type pulley but i did you a favor by not saying anyhting about the problem because it might demissed you name. Kleeman, if you don't believes me, why don't you talk to Ben. I call him up and told him EXACTLY what i am telling you right now. I also told Ben that i did you (Kleemann) and Evosport a favor by not mention anything bad about this problem in the forum because this to me is a major problem. DTS from Washington also has the same problem as me. I new what were happen to him but i did you a favor also by not responded to him in the forum (mbnz.org) but ask him to call me personnally on my home phone so i can help him. I will link the "proof" to you after i finish writting this. So, please, take your words back. Btw, i said, "free labor" and $50 is for the shop time and equipment for use. Why do you have problem with me, for offering free service !!! I am sorry, but this is none of your business !!! I'm gonna stop here before i loose it !!!
Old 05-27-2002, 11:49 PM

Kleemann,

Here's the proof that i did you a favor......http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/r170/vthread.asp?messid=65394
Old 05-27-2002, 11:51 PM

Well, the link is not working but if you want to find out go to mbnz.org and under Slk R170 forum then just scroll down to find my "posting".
Old 05-28-2002, 12:24 AM

Kleemann,

Just one more thing, don't even think about me miss leading Brad at Evosport about me might has give Brad un-clear the year model of my Slk 230 because i still have the recieve and it clearly printed Kleemann "ring" pulley for " 1999 Slk 230".
Old 05-28-2002, 12:36 AM

Without sounding too insulting (which I am not trying to do) this is EXACTLY why dealers should be the only ones to install parts
Kleemann, so dealer don't make mistake, huh? How do you explain, MagmaSilk has his kit installed by a dealer/shop? Btw, i missed quote, i was Magmasilk that has the problem that, i help him off line NOT DTS.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Linh,

Myself or Ben will call you first thing. There has indeed been some mis-communication here. You have done nothing wrong and we will get the issue resolved ASAP - don't worry!

You will only need to deal with us off-line on this. You are free to post any observations or concerns of course, however, as a technical support issue, I think it is best to discuss this directly with you. We encourage you to post about the entire matter and the resolution once we have rectified all issues at hand.

Thanks

Brad
Old 05-28-2002, 02:34 AM

Otoupalik,

I totally agreed with about this situation. That's why i keep it to myself for two day and only talk to Ben about it, but after I read "Kleemann" post, i wasn't able to control myself, to keep my mouth shut, so the true must be told !!! I'm sorry and i thank you Brad, for acknowledged the mistake. It does not matter anymore what had happen but how you take care of the problem and the customer afterward is the most importance thing.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally posted by linh
Otoupalik,

I totally agreed with about this situation. That's why i keep it to myself for two day and only talk to Ben about it, but after I read "Kleemann" post, i wasn't able to control myself, to keep my mouth shut, so the true must be told !!! I'm sorry and i thank you Brad, for acknowledged the mistake. It does not matter anymore what had happen but how you take care of the problem and the customer afterward is the most importance thing.
Linh,

Thanks. As you know, we will take care of you and this situation!

Thanks

Brad

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Part 2: Kleemann "ring" pulley install..................