Questions about how MBWorld.org works...not for car questions. Use this forum for help on using all or any part of the forums. Make sure to read the Forum FAQs first.

Staying logged in w/Google login?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 09:40 PM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Question Staying logged in w/Google login?

Is there any way to stay logged in if I (originally) signed up with Google? Every forum I've been on, I've signed up with my email address - and this "Google sign in" is BS, because it makes me "sign in with Google" every time (as opposed to remembering me like my usual U/N and P/W login has allowed me to).

Can anyone help with that?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2020, 09:59 PM
IB Staff

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by convicted
Is there any way to stay logged in if I (originally) signed up with Google? Every forum I've been on, I've signed up with my email address - and this "Google sign in" is BS, because it makes me "sign in with Google" every time (as opposed to remembering me like my usual U/N and P/W login has allowed me to).

Can anyone help with that?

Thanks
The Google logins are session-based and thus expire when the session expires (either based on time or browser being closed). The time expiration is approximately 1 hour. There is no setting to control this behavior.

If you want to remain logged in, the only option is to request we convert your account to a normal account that uses a username and password. Provided you don't clear your browser's cookies, use the log out, it is possible to stay logged in for days, weeks or months as the cookie is generally set for 1 year.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:50 PM

1998 CLK 320
Originally Posted by IB JT
The Google logins are session-based and thus expire when the session expires (either based on time or browser being closed). The time expiration is approximately 1 hour. There is no setting to control this behavior.

If you want to remain logged in, the only option is to request we convert your account to a normal account that uses a username and password. Provided you don't clear your browser's cookies, use the log out, it is possible to stay logged in for days, weeks or months as the cookie is generally set for 1 year.
Yes. Please!

If a mod could convert my acct to a U/N P/W account, that would be great. Then I can save my credential and just login/refresh multiple pages, etc.

Thank you for the quick response.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:01 PM
IB Staff

Yes. Please!

If a mod could convert my acct to a U/N P/W account, that would be great. Then I can save my credential and just login/refresh multiple pages, etc.

Thank you for the quick response.
Go to the UserCP and Edit Password and see if you can set a new password. If you cannot, reply to this and I'll send you a temporary password.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:49 PM

1998 CLK 320
Still nothing.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:25 AM
IB Staff

Still nothing.
Please clarify. Was you able to go to the UserCP, Edit Password, set a password, and then log in using the username and password?

If not, let us know so that we can assist.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:12 AM

1998 CLK 320
It's telling me that my "old password" is incorrect, so it won't allow me to set a new P/W.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:11 PM
IB Staff

It's telling me that my "old password" is incorrect, so it won't allow me to set a new P/W.
To clarify, you would not use your Google password as MBWorld does not have access to Google's resources.

There's two options. You can have the automated system reset your password by using the following link when not logged in:
https://mbworld.org/forums/login.php?do=lostpw

The above should allow you to reset your password by emailing you a temporary password to your gmail email address so that you can set a normal password using the aforementioned UserCP/Edit Password.

Or we can assign a temporary password manually. I'd suggest the first option because you're able to set the password yourself and there is less chance of getting locked out and requiring email contact back and forth between us to get the account accessed again.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:49 PM

1998 CLK 320
It worked. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2020, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CL65
Trying to post

I recently logged in. And I'm trying to private message a member of the page. But I get a message that says. Admin has blocked me from doing such a thing. Is there a way this can be undone. So I can private message.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:22 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Nate Shanks
I recently logged in. And I'm trying to private message a member of the page. But I get a message that says. Admin has blocked me from doing such a thing. Is there a way this can be undone. So I can private message.
Try it again.

To help protect the community against spam and other unsolicited PMs, members must be "established" in order to have access to the PM system. We'd rather not disclose exactly what "established" requires as then the Spammers can use that information to defeat the system that's in place to help protect the community. Know that those who use the site for its intended purpose, as an enthusiast of the cars, will become "established" in very short order and thus will have access to the PM system.

PM permissions are given, automatically, by the system when the member meets the criteria to become "established". However, the upgrade does not occur instantly - especially if the account goes inactive. This was the case for you.