R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Saw the R-Class last night...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Acura TSX
Saw the R-Class last night...

Last night while shopping I walked out of the mall and there was a brand new R-Class sitting there. All of the badges and name plates where covered up with tape. It was silverand had a white/tan color interior. I saw it at night so I couldn't tell all that well. I hope to see more of them since they are building them no less than 30 minutes away from me. Figured you guys would like to know.

Craig
Old 04-06-2005, 11:32 AM

Is this car really coming to the states??? (more)

I certainly hope not...it looks like a toyota MATRIX rebadged with Benz logos. Maybe benz and toyota have a parnership?? And to think....they just got rid of the ugly C Class Coupe...now this ?!??!? EWWWW
Old 04-06-2005, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by cgmb16
Last night while shopping I walked out of the mall and there was a brand new R-Class sitting there. All of the badges and name plates where covered up with tape. It was silverand had a white/tan color interior. I saw it at night so I couldn't tell all that well. I hope to see more of them since they are building them no less than 30 minutes away from me. Figured you guys would like to know.

Craig
Get that digital camera out and keep it in the car...next time you see one, fill up the memory card and post them on this thread...:-)
Old 04-06-2005, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CLK430
I certainly hope not...it looks like a toyota MATRIX rebadged with Benz logos. Maybe benz and toyota have a parnership?? And to think....they just got rid of the ugly C Class Coupe...now this ?!??!? EWWWW
Since you have to ask " is this car really coming to the states" it is obvious you know not of what you speak. Do some research before you post a troll like entry. It is not only coming to the states, it is being built here and you may have to eat those words later this year.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
Originally Posted by CLK430
this is the toyota MATRIX (as you put it):

yes they're in the same class of vehicles, but i'm not seeing the resemblance...

oh for the record, i thought the C Coupe was a beautiful car, certainly so much better than the 1-series or 3-Compact it was supposed to compete against

but yes, PLEASE get some REAL LIFE R-class pictures out here... =)
Old 04-07-2005, 03:57 PM

2005 Mercedes C-Class
I like the R-Class, the ultimate family car!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:16 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Saw one as well...

Two R-Class and one B-Class on the highway in Dubai (Sh. Zayed Rd, near the Mercedes showroom headed towards downtown for you Dubai residents). These aren't great pics but they were the best I could manage at 130km/h with a crappy camera phone with three unhappy German-looking drivers trying to avoid me. R-Class looked taller than I expected.

Last Summer I saw the new ML several times, one MLK, and one 2007 S-Class.
Attached Thumbnails Saw the R-Class last night...-b-class.jpg   Saw the R-Class last night...-r-class1.jpg   Saw the R-Class last night...-r-class2.jpg  
Old 04-10-2005, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jimmyg
Two R-Class and one B-Class on the highway in Dubai (Sh. Zayed Rd, near the Mercedes showroom headed towards downtown for you Dubai residents). These aren't great pics but they were the best I could manage at 130km/h with a crappy camera phone with three unhappy German-looking drivers trying to avoid me. R-Class looked taller than I expected.

The last time I was in Dubai was 1956 so I can't quite remember the location...:-)))

I guess these are still the Vision R European version models since the US Production version has already been shown in NY.

Thanks for posting. Picture quality is quite good considering the conditions you had to shoot under.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:10 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
The last time I was in Dubai was 1956 so I can't quite remember the location...:-)))
Hah! And I thought I'd lived here a long time. They were still landing sea planes in the creek back then and there weren't many roads, certainly not where these pictures were taken. Dubai has changed quite a bit since you were here last...definitely worth a visit. You can grab the daily non-stop out of JFK and be here in 12 hours. Or you could invite me to Vegas and I'll bring a photo album and my some spare change for the slots.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hah! And I thought I'd lived here a long time. They were still landing sea planes in the creek back then and there weren't many roads, certainly not where these pictures were taken. Dubai has changed quite a bit since you were here last...definitely worth a visit. You can grab the daily non-stop out of JFK and be here in 12 hours. Or you could invite me to Vegas and I'll bring a photo album and my some spare change for the slots.
Yeah...that was a long time ago. I was a photomate on the only US Navy's force in the Gulf. A 311' converted sea plane tender painted white and fully air conditioned. Had an Admiral on board who visited all the sheik's in the region and I shot pictures of the visits and they were delivered when we departed. Home ported in Bahrain. Stayed 9 months because of the canal being closed. A pretty deserted area then but tremendous changes in the countries and the US Navy's presence since!

I think I'll pass on the shuttle flight for a visit and if you come to Sin City you had better bring more than "spare change" for the slots...:-) Things have changed here also. Keep those cameras rolling...
Old 04-11-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I like it. Great family hauler.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4

MLK and 2007 S-class? Was the W221 camo'd to the gills? And I didn't realize there were any prototypes or mules of the MLK yet. Did you mean SLK?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:45 AM
MKW

08 GL450
The flat, near verticle rear hatch screams " minivan" - uugh .

Old 04-13-2005, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MKW
The flat, near verticle rear hatch screams " minivan" - uugh .

From other pictures the "rear hatch" does have a rounded contour. But whatever it is called it has a minivan gene or two as well as a wagon gene and a SUV gene..:-)
Old 04-13-2005, 12:22 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Incendiary
MLK and 2007 S-class? Was the W221 camo'd to the gills? And I didn't realize there were any prototypes or mules of the MLK yet. Did you mean SLK?
S-Class was hard to recognize, but someone else got a picture of what I saw:
http://www.autoemirates.com/Archive/...s.asp?nid=2019

I saw three different ML prototypes last summer, the one that looked like what has been launched recently which I got a photo of (http://www.jimmygrewal.com/mt/archives/000151.html), one that was all black with a spare wheel on the back, and one that was quite small...like a BMW X3. I'm almost positive it's what is now referred to as the MLK.

I saw the R-Class again today on the way home from work, just outside the DC Middle East warehouse. As the weather gets warmer, I'm sure that some more interesting things will turn up. There is a new F1-class auto circuit here that was used a lot by various manufacturers last summer during the hottest parts of the day. The other company which had a lot of test vehicles here last summer was Land Rover. I regularly saw the new Discovery and once saw a Ranger Rover Sport. The hot weather testing for the Porsche Cayenne and their promotional videos were shot in the desert outside Dubai. Brabus also does some hot weather testing here...but it's more of a marketing effort for their rich customers who live here.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:35 AM

2014 E350S4
Interesting. BTW, MB has trademarked the name GLK. Any idea whether they decided to call it GLK instead of MLK, or perhaps this is just something to raise speculation?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Interesting. BTW, MB has trademarked the name GLK. Any idea whether they decided to call it GLK instead of MLK, or perhaps this is just something to raise speculation?
I think he is referring to the new G Class and as such it has it's own designation. It is not part of the M line.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:37 AM

2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I think he is referring to the new G Class and as such it has it's own designation. It is not part of the M line.
Huh? I know the G class is separate. I'm talking about the GLK. MB has it trademarked in the US, along with GLK Kompressor, etc.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:59 AM

MBs

Mercedes-Benz GLK
Old 04-17-2005, 03:58 AM

2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by Wolfgang

Mercedes-Benz GLK
Er, this is a pshop, right?
Old 04-17-2005, 06:18 AM

MBs
That's a photo of Jim Rogers in his GLK. He actually drove it around the world a couple years ago.

http://www.jimrogers.com/