R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R320CDI US Availability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320S4
R320CDI US Availability?

My dealer is mum, but obviously this thing is coming...any word on when? the canadian preview catalog i looked at even showed the specs on the R320CDI...If it'll be a year or more, i'll buy now and later, but if it's going to be 2-3 months til the diesel is out, i will wait. Any words of true wisdom?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by holtmorrison
My dealer is mum, but obviously this thing is coming...any word on when? the canadian preview catalog i looked at even showed the specs on the R320CDI...If it'll be a year or more, i'll buy now and later, but if it's going to be 2-3 months til the diesel is out, i will wait. Any words of true wisdom?
That is a $64,000 question! If I knew that the CDI would be available shortly I would also wait. It is coming! The ML and the R (and the E) could be the first ones of the new breed V6 CDI and MB has said as much. Whether they will sell it in only 45 states as the current E Sedan or wait for the low sulphur fuel to come in mid to late 2006 so they can market in all 50 states is ???? I have a hunch it will be introduced in the ML and R mid 2006 or so, perhaps as 2007 model year. Also the new V8 CDI could show up in the new S about the same time.

Not much wisdom here on this subject. If the hit is not too bad I may do the same thing in a year or two after the diesel in introduced.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:13 PM

MBs
Hello, Mercedes has "lifted the curtain" just a little bit recently when showing the Mercedes Bionic concept vehicle in DC. That's a 2 liter turbodiesel with SCR which makes it 50 states legal, even with the very tight 2007 California diesel emission limits, and achieves 70 MPG. I know MB is testing this system in the USA at present, but don't know the exact status other than to expect a diesel in the 2006/2007 timeframe. That's still too far out for most folks..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ionic+mercedes
Old 06-08-2005, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Hello, Mercedes has "lifted the curtain" just a little bit recently when showing the Mercedes Bionic concept vehicle in DC. That's a 2 liter turbodiesel with SCR which makes it 50 states legal, even with the very tight 2007 California diesel emission limits, and achieves 70 MPG. I know MB is testing this system in the USA at present, but don't know the exact status other than to expect a diesel in the 2006/2007 timeframe. That's still too far out for most folks..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ionic+mercedes
The current V8 320CDI will pass the CA emission tests if done with low sulphur fuel. That is the only thing preventing MB from selling the diesel in the 5 remaining states.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:31 AM

MBs
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
The current V8 320CDI will pass the CA emission tests if done with low sulphur fuel. That is the only thing preventing MB from selling the diesel in the 5 remaining states.
Nevada Jack, the current engine in the US E320 CDI is the OM648 inline six cylinder without particle filter. Not sure if there is a version of this engine with particle filter. This engine doesn't fit in the new R-class (or M-class) as far as I know. The new diesel engine used for the world record drive in Texas is the OM642 V6 and it has a particle filter and requires low sulfur diesel. It may be clean enough for California 2007 emission limits in one of the dirtier bins and will probably be offered in the R-class in the USA by late 2006 or so. But longer term, by 2008 or 2009, it needs to make it into Tier II bin 5 which will probably require SCR. SCR has the advantage that the engine can run more efficiently thus reducing consumption around 5% or so compared to a particle filter. Another advantage is that it also works with sulfur in the fuel. But the drawback is that the AdBlue solution used for the catalytic reduction has to be renewed at every oil change. It'll be interesting.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/diesel.html
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/emit.html
Old 06-09-2005, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Nevada Jack, the current engine in the US E320 CDI is the OM648 inline six cylinder without particle filter. Not sure if there is a version of this engine with particle filter. This engine doesn't fit in the new R-class (or M-class) as far as I know. The new diesel engine used for the world record drive in Texas is the OM642 V6 and it has a particle filter and requires low sulfur diesel. It may be clean enough for California 2007 emission limits in one of the dirtier bins and will probably be offered in the R-class in the USA by late 2006 or so. But longer term, by 2008 or 2009, it needs to make it into Tier II bin 5 which will probably require SCR. SCR has the advantage that the engine can run more efficiently thus reducing consumption around 5% or so compared to a particle filter. Another advantage is that it also works with sulfur in the fuel. But the drawback is that the AdBlue solution used for the catalytic reduction has to be renewed at every oil change. It'll be interesting.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/diesel.html
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/emit.html
WOW..you have the details for sure. Thanks for the clarification and technical information.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
WOW..you have the details for sure. Thanks for the clarification and technical information.
He should also have pointed out the new 320CDI will be a V6 and not a V8 as per your previous post.

John
Old 06-20-2005, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by glojo
He should also have pointed out the new 320CDI will be a V6 and not a V8 as per your previous post.

John
My error John...I should have said "the current V6 320CDI..."
Old 06-28-2005, 12:35 AM

1999 Mercedes Benz SL500 & 2009 E350 4Matic Wagon
Question "R" Class or Chrysler Pacifica?

This body looks a lot like the Chrysler Pacifica; is there a reason for that; are they using the same body????????
Old 06-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by 2mbusa
This body looks a lot like the Chrysler Pacifica; is there a reason for that; are they using the same body????????
Nope, two different beasts. I love the Pacifica BTW.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not a common part among them. Built in two different plants. Size and weight is completely different as are all the components and materials. One is a Chrysler and the other is a MB.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just found this on a site that features MB Diesel information.

"Four diesel models in all 50 states as early as 2008."
Four Mercedes models - the E-class, M-class, G-class and new R-class are expected to be offered with diesel power using SCR with urea injection and thus be 50 states legal. "We are working really hard to have the solution ready for the new regulations that will come in 2007-2008," says Eva Lenhardt, head of technology communications for Mercedes in Stuttgart. And we've been waiting since before 2002 for an M-class diesel!
6/20/2005
Old 07-06-2005, 12:11 AM

Question Seating for Seven

We originaly had a 2006 ML on order to replace our 2001 ML; however, when the diesel was delayed and we also found out that MB would not offer the 3rd row seats in the 2006, not to mention current quality problems, we cancelled our order. Does anyone know if the R Class will offer 3 abreast seating in the second row thereby making it possible to seat seven??? Also, is it possible to not have the full class roof and a normal sunroof in its place? Of course we will want to wait for the diesel R Class -- thanks!
Old 07-06-2005, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I don't think that the R class will be able to offer 3 seats in the 2nd row. Also the panoramic roof will be an option and will not be standard. I want to wait for the V8 diesel or the AMG version with either a new 6.3 litre NA engine or a supercharged 5.5 litre that is in use right now.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:21 AM

Wink R Class/Pacifica?

A Techey at a local MB dealer who just came back from a showing of the R Class told me that the R Class and the Chrysler Pacifica are a stretch of the ML body -- I am not sure what is going on, but from the rear the wide beam sure looks simular as does the high rear and low front styling? Could be something like the cross between the SLK and the Chrysler CrossFire??????
Old 07-06-2005, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
OMG more misinformation. The Pacifica has its own chasis and platform that Chrysler uses solely. The new ML, new G, and new R have their own platform and chasis. What the hell is wrong with people getting information out.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
OMG more misinformation. The Pacifica has its own chasis and platform that Chrysler uses solely. The new ML, new G, and new R have their own platform and chasis. What the hell is wrong with people getting information out.

No modern mass produced car has had a seperate 'chassis' for years, so I would take that bit of information with a pinch of salt. The new M and G class might indeed have some similarities.

John
Old 07-06-2005, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
I am glad that "techey" is not working on my car! Agreed that mis-information flows like water on some of these forums at times.

You are correct that the R, ML and G will share the same chassies...whether it be the LWB or SWB on which model I do not know at this point. All will be built on lines in Alabama. The Pacifica is a totally different animal and is built I think in Dearborn, Michigan.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We originaly had a 2006 ML on order to replace our 2001 ML; however, when the diesel was delayed and we also found out that MB would not offer the 3rd row seats in the 2006, not to mention current quality problems, we cancelled our order. Does anyone know if the R Class will offer 3 abreast seating in the second row thereby making it possible to seat seven??? Also, is it possible to not have the full class roof and a normal sunroof in its place? Of course we will want to wait for the diesel R Class -- thanks!
No three abreast seating in the 2nd or 3rd row. The Panoroof has the full glass roof. Whether the standard sunroof has glass or not I don't know...I would not think so?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:07 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
No modern mass produced car has had a seperate 'chassis' for years, so I would take that bit of information with a pinch of salt. The new M and G class might indeed have some similarities.

John
What he meant is that all three will share the same platform; not separate unique platforms.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
What he meant is that all three will share the same platform; not separate unique platforms.
Ahhhhh!! Thanks very much, I was getting really confused. I think Landrover still have a seperate chassiss and the body gets bolted to it?

Regards,
John
Old 07-06-2005, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Thanks AutoSaurus. That is what I had meant, sorry about that guys.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:01 AM

No modern mass produced car has had a seperate 'chassis' for years...
The first generation M-class had a body-on-frame construction, which is a seperate "chassis".
Old 07-09-2005, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Smiles
The first generation M-class had a body-on-frame construction, which is a seperate "chassis".
Crikey, do you mean the ML that was built in the US?

Certainly news to me that it had a seperate chassis? I am not playing with words here, a chassis is completely seperate from the body.

**the frame of a vehicle, usually including the wheels and engine, onto which the metal covering is fixed:** The covering obviously being the bodywork.

Rolls Royce and Bentley being the best example of when the chassis was taken to Park Ward, or Mulliner to have a custom body made?

Regards,
John
Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 AM

MBs
BLUETEC Blog

For R 320 BLUETEC questions Daimler opened this blog:

The DaimlerChrysler BLUETEC Blog
by Hartmut Schick
Head of Global Communications, DaimlerChrysler

Welcome to the DaimlerChrysler "BLUETEC Blog!" Here I am at the North American International Auto Show. It feels good to be back in Detroit - not because of the great weather, of course, but because of that very special Motown-feeling.

http://www2.daimlerchrysler.com/weblog/index.php
http://www2.daimlerchrysler.com/webl...?itemid=7#more

Last edited by Wolfgang; 01-17-2006 at 08:56 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: R320CDI US Availability?