R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

A few questions....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 M6, '05 Lambo Gallardo
A few questions....

1. Is the 2nd row center console removeable? I need the rear seat entertainment, but also need the console removed so my 2 older kids can reach the 3rd row (I have 4 kids so folding a 2nd row seat is not an option since the 2nd row seats will have car seats installed.)

2. Is there a rear camera available like the one in our QX-56?

3. Is the long wheelbase available in the US?

4. Does the Pano roof have the solar powered cooling fan?

Thanks in advance for the answers....
Old 07-03-2005, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by jkrutch
1. Is the 2nd row center console removeable? I need the rear seat entertainment, but also need the console removed so my 2 older kids can reach the 3rd row (I have 4 kids so folding a 2nd row seat is not an option since the 2nd row seats will have car seats installed.)

2. Is there a rear camera available like the one in our QX-56?

3. Is the long wheelbase available in the US?

4. Does the Pano roof have the solar powered cooling fan?

Thanks in advance for the answers....
1- Yes the center console is removeable (and they say quite easily.) However, with the rear seat entertainment center, the DVD Player is installed in the rear console so I don't know if that complicates matters or not.

2- No...just Parktronic

3- The LWB is the ONLY model available in the US.

4- No. Thermotronic upgrade climate control has sensors and blowers to balance the heat load. Also there is a power sun shade that covers the two sections of the panoroof.

There is an article on the German Car Fans MB site entitled "The R Class in Depth." It is a complete narrative on the features with specs and such. Some of it applies to the Euro version only but it is pretty complete.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
1- Yes the center console is removeable (and they say quite easily.) However, with the rear seat entertainment center, the DVD Player is installed in the rear console so I don't know if that complicates matters or not.

2- No...just Parktronic

3- The LWB is the ONLY model available in the US.

4- No. Thermotronic upgrade climate control has sensors and blowers to balance the heat load. Also there is a power sun shade that covers the two sections of the panoroof.

There is an article on the German Car Fans MB site entitled "The R Class in Depth." It is a complete narrative on the features with specs and such. Some of it applies to the Euro version only but it is pretty complete.

Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately, the rear console issue may be a deal breaker. My 2 older kids need an easy way to get to the 3rd row. They are small (5 & 6) and may not have a problem squeezing in between the 2nd row seats and the rear console. My other concern is the fact that the DVD player is inside the rear console. Right now we have the luxury of easily changing disks since the DVD player is in the center console on the QX56. I guess the only thing to do is wait until we can get one for a few days to test out once our local dealer has some inventory. I really hope this will work for us...after 3 E55s and now my CLS55 I am really hooked on MB. Plus, our new house is a few minutes away from the dealership and that is a huge convenience.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately, the rear console issue may be a deal breaker. My 2 older kids need an easy way to get to the 3rd row. They are small (5 & 6) and may not have a problem squeezing in between the 2nd row seats and the rear console. My other concern is the fact that the DVD player is inside the rear console. Right now we have the luxury of easily changing disks since the DVD player is in the center console on the QX56. I guess the only thing to do is wait until we can get one for a few days to test out once our local dealer has some inventory. I really hope this will work for us...after 3 E55s and now my CLS55 I am really hooked on MB. Plus, our new house is a few minutes away from the dealership and that is a huge convenience.
Understood on the console...you will just have to see what the situation is when you get to sit in one. September 15th is the official introduction day so I understand. With your inventory of MB's your dealer may make special viewing available...:-)

Here is the URL for the AMG version on GCF site.

http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphot...ercedes/1.html
Old 07-03-2005, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is the URL for the In Depth article....

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...ercedes/1.html
Old 07-03-2005, 08:05 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Don't rule things out just yet. Wait until more info is released in the coming weeks, especially July.

I just had the RSES installed in my ML350 and I can say that the location of the DVD player is not in the best place for 4 and 6 year old. Its under the rear bench (2nd row) right side seat. I can reach it by stopping and bending over however, my wife nor kids cannot.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:13 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Location of DVD

If you look closely at the pics and read the brochures, the information reads that the system in the R is a "DUAL" source. From the pics it looks like the actual player(s) (READ (TWO)) reside right under the screens themselves in the rear of the front seat head restraints. Of course, I could be wrong. But it would not be because I have not been paying attention. I think I am right about this, and it is different (COMPLETELY, luckily) than the M!

Last edited by carpersn; 07-04-2005 at 12:14 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-04-2005, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carpersn
If you look closely at the pics and read the brochures, the information reads that the system in the R is a "DUAL" source. From the pics it looks like the actual player(s) (READ (TWO)) reside right under the screens themselves in the rear of the front seat head restraints. Of course, I could be wrong. But it would not be because I have not been paying attention. I think I am right about this, and it is different (COMPLETELY, luckily) than the M!
The CD/DVD player per MB is located in the rear center console. Here is the text from their description of it. See the second sentence. This it the reason that the Rear Center Console is part of the Rear Seat Entertainment Option. The Dual Source means it is a CD and DVD player or you can attach a game console.

A further equipment option allows passengers in the rear to enjoy the freedom of compiling their own audio or video entertainment programme. The Rear-Seat Entertainment package comprises two colour screens with earphone connections which are incorporated into the backs of the front-seat head restraints, along with a CD/DVD player which is accommodated in the rear centre console. There is also a facility for connecting external audio/video devices or a games console.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 07-04-2005 at 09:05 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-04-2005, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Note there is no disk slot below or above the monitors.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 07-04-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:30 AM

Thanks to everyone (especially Nevada Jack) for all of the info. Sometimes when you want something to work, you simply find a way to make it happen. I will most likely take that route with the R class. If the kids can get into the 3rd row without much issue and the space behind the 3rd row is adequate, I can live with any other shortcomings that may arise. Otherwise, much to my dismay, I will probably end up with something like the newly redesigned Escalade ESV which is due in the spring. Our Infiniti QX56 is about to get the 3rd set of brakes due to a widely reported glitch. They lost my business forever not because of the probem, but the way they handled it. Their idea of customer service is...tough ****,you bought it, now you're stuck with it.

I really hope the R can handle a family of 6! One thing that doesn't make any sense to me is how many 6,7,& 8 passenger SUVs exist only to find out that when the 3rd row is occupied, there is not nearly enough space for the stuff that 6,7, or 8 people carry wth them. Is it me or is that just plain stupid?

Hopefully this whole thing will work out. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks to everyone (especially Nevada Jack) for all of the info. Sometimes when you want something to work, you simply find a way to make it happen. I will most likely take that route with the R class. If the kids can get into the 3rd row without much issue and the space behind the 3rd row is adequate, I can live with any other shortcomings that may arise. Otherwise, much to my dismay, I will probably end up with something like the newly redesigned Escalade ESV which is due in the spring. Our Infiniti QX56 is about to get the 3rd set of brakes due to a widely reported glitch. They lost my business forever not because of the probem, but the way they handled it. Their idea of customer service is...tough ****,you bought it, now you're stuck with it.

I really hope the R can handle a family of 6! One thing that doesn't make any sense to me is how many 6,7,& 8 passenger SUVs exist only to find out that when the 3rd row is occupied, there is not nearly enough space for the stuff that 6,7, or 8 people carry wth them. Is it me or is that just plain stupid?

Hopefully this whole thing will work out. Thanks again.
I hope you can work it out...I think the R will be a real pleasure to drive and enjoy.

You raise a valid point on the number of passengers and the lack of room to carry cargo at the same time. With only four people and the 3rd row lowered it provides adequate storage for a trip. But with 6 people and the smaller storage behind the 3rd row seats, there is just not enought room. I don't see any provision for a roof rack or other kind of storage either. Maybe they will make a custom T Class trailer...:-)

Good luck...
Old 07-11-2005, 12:21 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
This shows what appears to be the location of the rear seat entertainment system below the 2nd row console.
Attached Thumbnails A few questions....-r-dvd.jpg  
Old 07-11-2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
This shows what appears to be the location of the rear seat entertainment system below the 2nd row console.
Thankds for the great shot. Unfortunately, based on what I see..there is no crawling between the seats.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
I tend to agree Jack...looks like the "lever" looking nitch above it might be the detach point and the palyer stays put while the console can be removed.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thankds for the great shot. Unfortunately, based on what I see..there is no crawling between the seats.
I am sure the console is removeable with the DVD player but I agree that with the console installed it would be difficult to get to the back row.