R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

What I wish the R-class came with...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 & Q7
If the 1st and 2nd row having 6 feet passengers (seats have to be moved back) then you have a problem comfortably sitting in the 3rd row. (R has limited headroom in the 3rd row.) (Inviting two 6 feet friends to sit in the 1st and 2nd rows and you will know what I mean.)

Here is information of dimensions for R from MBUSA

Front headroom 39.8 in/1,010 mm
2nd row headroom 40.4 in/1,027 mm
3rd row headroom 37.2 in/946 mm

Front legroom 39.8 in/1,012 mm
2nd row legroom 36.2 in/920 mm
3rd row legroom 32.4 in/825 mm

Front shoulder room 60.3 in/1,530 mm
2nd shoulder room 59.6 in/1,514 mm
3rd shoulder room 52.8 in/1,342 mm

Last edited by Otto; 09-16-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Otto
If the 1st and 2nd row having 6 feet passengers (seats have to be moved back) then you have a problem comfortably sitting in the 3rd row. (R has limited headroom in the 3rd row.) (Inviting two 6 feet friends to sit in the 1st and 2nd rows and you will know what I mean.)

Old 09-16-2005, 05:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Well I finally showed the R500 to my wife (we had no time for a test drive)... The car was around $70K, which I thought was too much. Also, my wife thought the cabin looked and felt cheap, which I thought is unforgivable in a car costing as much as it does.... I showed her photos of the Q7 and she thought the interior looked infinitely better, so we'll have to check that out when it hits the market.. She does have a point... If you look at the Audi MMI system, ventilation controls etc from the Q7, you'll see that they're lifted from their expensive flagship sedans and have a luxurious look to them. The interior of the R-class however is more ML class than S-class.. It certainly doesn't look like it belongs in a $70K vehicle..
Eric...

Last edited by EKaru; 09-16-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by EKaru
Well I finally showed the R500 to my wife (we had no time for a test drive)... The car was around $70K, which I thought was too much. Also, my wife thought the cabin looked and felt cheap, which I thought is unforgivable in a car costing as much as it does.... I showed her photos of the Q7 and she thought the interior looked infinitely better, so we'll have to check that out when it hits the market.. She does have a point... If you look at the Audi MMI system, ventilation controls etc from the Q7, you'll see that they're lifted from their expensive flagship sedans and have a luxurious look to them. The interior of the R-class however is more ML class than S-class.. It certainly doesn't look like it belongs in a $70K vehicle..
Eric...

Sounds exactly like my wife. And I agree.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guess you two will be on the Audi sites....:-) Glad you like the Audi and it appeals to your wives also. There is a reason for different brands and models so I am sure we will both enjoy what we select.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:01 PM

W211 & Q7
If you look at the Audi MMI system, ventilation controls etc from the Q7, you'll see that they're lifted from their expensive flagship sedans and have a luxurious look to them. The interior of the R-class however is more ML class than S-class
Agree. This explains why R does not have a heated steering wheel and R350 not even comes with memory leather seats (more M than S). By the way, R will be made in USA, the same plant her sister M is (Please do not frame me, I do believe US makes high quality cars and everyone knows how good M is) while Q is made in Germany.

Again, R and Q are for different markets. Everyone enjoys the car s(he) selects.

Last edited by Otto; 09-16-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is the latest review from Automobile Magazine referring to R Class interior quality. It is consistent with all the reviews I have read so far on the R Class. Why some find it less than this is their own preferences which I understand but the constant comparison to the S Class is inconsistent. It is not an S Class, it is not priced in the S Class range, if anything it is closer to an E Class and yes the M Class. I just wanted to clarify where I am coming from.

Enjoy whatever vehicle you decide on...:-)
Old 09-17-2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
This is the latest review from Automobile Magazine referring to R Class interior quality. It is consistent with all the reviews I have read so far on the R Class. Why some find it less than this is their own preferences which I understand but the constant comparison to the S Class is inconsistent. It is not an S Class, it is not priced in the S Class range, if anything it is closer to an E Class and yes the M Class. I just wanted to clarify where I am coming from.

Enjoy whatever vehicle you decide on...:-)
It's $65k and it is not as nice as most $65 cars or SUV's, that's why I have a problem with it. It is also not as nice as an E-Class or the new M-Class. $65K is a lot of money.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
OMG that Q7 is stunning. I will definitely trade in '05 A6 for it as soon as it comes out
Old 09-19-2005, 12:31 PM

W211 & Q7
The good thing for Q7 interior is "Audi lifted from their expensive flagship sedans and have a luxurious look to them."

The bad thing for Q7 exterior is "Audi does not make different models to look more distinctive" -- "same sausages in different lengths" (A4 is a small size of sausage, A6 is a mid size of sausage, A8 is a big size of sausage, and Q7 is a bulk size of sausage) while R is showing very distinctive from other MB family members.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
"same sausages in different lengths" ]

Hey watch it there bud, we have kids on these forums
Old 09-19-2005, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The good thing for Q7 interior is "Audi lifted from their expensive flagship sedans and have a luxurious look to them."

The bad thing for Q7 exterior is "Audi does not make different models to look more distinctive" -- "same sausages in different lengths" (A4 is a small size of sausage, A6 is a mid size of sausage, A8 is a big size of sausage, and Q7 is a bulk size of sausage) while R is showing very distinctive from other MB family members.
How about the R63 AMG Otto...think you could drive one of these...no sausage look-a-likes here....

I would imagine this is going to go for about a $100K...out of my class but sure looks mean...

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 09-19-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:18 PM

W211 & Q7
we have kids on these forums
R and Q are the cars for kids -- most of buyers have kid(s).
(SL, CL, and SLK are for no kid families.)
(you may not like Q7 information shows on R board but it helps most of us comparing these 2 similar vehicles -- please open your mind in discussion.).

Last edited by Otto; 09-19-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
How about the R63 AMG Otto...think you could drive one of these...no sausage look-a-likes here....

I would imagine this is going to go for about a $100K...out of my class but sure looks mean...

Wow! Is that a production sample?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R and Q are the cars for kids -- most of buyers have kid(s).
(SL, CL, and SLK are for no kid families.)
(you may not like Q7 information shows on R board but it helps most of us comparing these 2 similar vehicles -- please open your mind in discussion.).
First of all I have no kids and MB is not aiming the car a "families with kids." The reference to kids was made regarding "sausage" in another context as a joke.

In regard to an open mind. Quite frankly I don't like Audi's and their design and would not put the car in the same class as a MB. The front of the Audi is in my opinion is totally over done and just detracts from the lines of the car. And why is it there are no pictures anywhere (even on the Audi site) of the third row seating and space available. If that car will seat 7 (and in some configurations 8) I would like to see it. To me it is just another "big SUV" and looks like one.

That is about as open as I can be when discussing an Audi. The title of this thread is "What I wish the R-class came with..." not why the Audi Q7 is a better vehicle.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 09-19-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by G55K
Wow! Is that a production sample?
Vision version but I think it will be very close to it.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
haha, unfortunately (fortunately?) i think i mainly have to be on nevada_jack's side on this one. the Q7 interior does NOT look any better than the R in my not-very-humble opinion. take a look at the armrests, especially around the window switches - yup, bare, hard plastic - same for the cladding under the centre console. also, look at the "aluminium" around the gearknob, and on the centre console. i'm willing to make a bet that it's not real, but rather just plastic - of course, i haven't seen the real car, so i might stand corrected on this. but it looks quite different to me from the knobs, which do seem to be real metal.

but the black plastic around the gearshift, where the MMI controls are, are definitely too shiny. same for the audio system. you'd never catch that kind of plastic on the COMAND system!

i'm also unsure about where audi is trying to go with the interior styling - i don't see any kind of theme there. heh, in any case, i lost respect for audi from the moment they started to try becoming a second BMW i mean, if i wanted a BMW i'd have gotten one. the exterior, described by so many as 'futuristic' or 'like a show car', makes me wonder what, exactly, our european friends have been drinking lately. no flair is all i can say.

as for the picture with the large luggage area behind the Q - well, the 3rd row seats were pushed almost right up to the 2nd row - note how far the rails continue to extend down the length of the car.

OK, enough ranting - what's a feature i wish came with the R? the new COMAND as seen on the S-class - i think it really works well. and despite all the negative comments about iDrive, the fact is it was a MAJOR selling point for many customers, at least in Asia - oh look, it's got a big screen right in front! wow....
Old 05-08-2007, 03:40 PM

W211 & Q7
Thank Ekara for Q7 information.

I think Q7 is a very good design SUV -- I probably will get one.
(I don't need the 3rd row but I will load my bicycles there.)

Otto
EKaru,

I bought a Q7 last month (April, 2007) with Convenience, Infotainment, and Technology packages plus panorama roof, 3rd seat (I don't need it but dealer sold it to me), 20" wheels.

I love it.

Otto