Porsche
What I wish the R-class came with...

The middle seat in the 2nd row as pictured in the Audi Q7

A lot more photos of the Q7 here:
http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/ga...rior%20-%20EU#
Old 09-13-2005, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Do you know if that middle seat is removable? Third row legroom looks pretty minimal.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
The tech looks pretty impressive:

Old 09-13-2005, 03:42 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by JackStraw
Do you know if that middle seat is removable? Third row legroom looks pretty minimal.

I'm not sure, but the luggage room even with the 3rd row in place looks ample:
Old 09-13-2005, 03:45 PM

Porsche

Old 09-13-2005, 04:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Very nice. That's going to give the R a run for its money.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:35 PM

Porsche
R-class dimensions....
length 5157 mm -
width 1922 mm -
height 1656 mm -
wheelbase 3215 mm

Q7 dimensions....
length 5,086 millimetres
width 1,983 mm
height 1,737 mm
wheelbase 3,002 millimetres
Old 09-13-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by EKaru
R-class dimensions....
length 5157 mm -
width 1922 mm -
height 1656 mm -
wheelbase 3215 mm

Q7 dimensions....
length 5,086 millimetres
width 1,983 mm
height 1,737 mm
wheelbase 3,002 millimetres
Looks like competition to me. The Audi interior looks very nice, I hope it makes production. The R interior looked nice in the pictures but is dissapointing in person. I also like the fact that the Audi seats three in the middle row. The engine is Audi's latest and greatest which is also a big plus. I spoke with my Audi dealer today and they expect the MSRP of a fully loaded Q7 to be in the $60's. It looks like the R that I wish Mercedes built.

I took my wife to the Mercedes dealer to see the R. She liked the exterior but really didn't like the layout of the interior. The seats are difficult to work and it wasn't large enough for three car seats. A double stroller will not fit behind the third row. I can't sit up straight in the second row due to a lack of headroom (Legroom is excellent). Many of you don't need to worry about these issues but I do since I plan on keeping the kids. Hopefully the Q7 will work as I'd really prefer not to buy another large SUV.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:38 PM
MKW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL450
I'm not sure, but the luggage room even with the 3rd row in place looks ample:
With the R, three brown paper grocery bags is all you'll be able to haul if the third row seats are used. It 's very shallow ( 12 " ? ) .
Old 09-13-2005, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by MKW
With the R, three brown paper grocery bags is all you'll be able to haul if the third row seats are used. It 's very shallow ( 12 " ? ) .
The distance in the R behind the 3rd row seats is 18".

Audi is doing some very nice design and their interiors always looks very nice. I would be concerned however with the spacing for the 3rd row passengers. There are no shots that I saw which show the 3rd row seats and no shots of the folding of the 2nd row for access to the 3rd row. Jack Straw mentioned is the middle seat removeable and looking at it, it looks pretty solid to me?

From the exterior design I feel it still is "SUV" looking and why Audi felt it necessary to create that monstrous grill is something only they can explain. It will be competition for the R but so will the Jaguar, Porsche and BMW models when they arrrive.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by G55K
Looks like competition to me. The Audi interior looks very nice, I hope it makes production. The R interior looked nice in the pictures but is dissapointing in person. I also like the fact that the Audi seats three in the middle row. The engine is Audi's latest and greatest which is also a big plus. I spoke with my Audi dealer today and they expect the MSRP of a fully loaded Q7 to be in the $60's. It looks like the R that I wish Mercedes built.

I took my wife to the Mercedes dealer to see the R. She liked the exterior but really didn't like the layout of the interior. The seats are difficult to work and it wasn't large enough for three car seats. A double stroller will not fit behind the third row. I can't sit up straight in the second row due to a lack of headroom (Legroom is excellent). Many of you don't need to worry about these issues but I do since I plan on keeping the kids. Hopefully the Q7 will work as I'd really prefer not to buy another large SUV.
I think the sales guy who quoted $60K for a "loaded" Q7 may be a little low ball at this point. In addition the R will have the new V8 382HP by this time next year. But if the R had looked like the Audi...I would be waiting for something else...:-)

I understand your frustration with space and seating...perhaps one of the other luxury manufacturers will have some other options that meet your needs. The new G Class will certainly have the room but as you say you don't want another big SUV.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Big difference... "Different Strokes for Different Folks"

Old 09-13-2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I think the sales guy who quoted $60K for a "loaded" Q7 may be a little low ball at this point. In addition the R will have the new V8 382HP by this time next year. But if the R had looked like the Audi...I would be waiting for something else...:-)

I understand your frustration with space and seating...perhaps one of the other luxury manufacturers will have some other options that meet your needs. The new G Class will certainly have the room but as you say you don't want another big SUV.
The new G is going to be too big. The Q has almost the same dimensions as the R which I like. The interior looks to be of higher quality, the engine has 350 HP and direct injection, the middle seat seats three, and it looks to have space behind the third row. The third row seats might be small but they're also small in the R. According to the Audi dealership in Colorado they will be available either late this year (December) or early next year. I really like the looks of this vehicle. Audi may have hit a home run IMO, especially if they undercut the R in price.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The new G is going to be too big. The Q has almost the same dimensions as the R which I like. The interior looks to be of higher quality, the engine has 350 HP and direct injection, the middle seat seats three, and it looks to have space behind the third row. The third row seats might be small but they're also small in the R. According to the Audi dealership in Colorado they will be available either late this year (December) or early next year. I really like the looks of this vehicle. Audi may have hit a home run IMO, especially if they undercut the R in price.
I'm glad you seem to feel this will meet your needs. I would imagine they will try to undercut the R in price, but probably not by too much.

Take a close look at the so called third seat in the second row. It is short because of the front console and narrow would be an understatement. If it accepts your baby seats I am sure that is your main concern.

In a way with the high hip and small windows it reminds me of the Dodge Magnum. Funny the R looks like the Pacifica and the Q7 looks like the Magnum (my opinion.) Chrysler must be doing something right..:-)
Old 09-14-2005, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MKW
I think a little more than 3 grocery bags, don't you?

Old 09-14-2005, 10:02 AM

Porsche
2007 Audi Q7
Q7 buyers have a choice of the 3.2-liter 240-hp V6 from the Touareg or the next-generation 4.2-liter V8 with stratified fuel injection making 350 hp. The Q has paddle shifters on the sides of the steering wheel, suggesting a six-speed Tiptronic of the kind attached to other VW/Audi 4.2-liter V8s. The Q is bigger than the Porsche Cayenne and the VW Touareg with which it shares many a part. It is almost six inches longer in the wheelbase than a Cayenne/Touareg, up from 112.4 inches to 118.3. The production Q7 will come with a choice of 18-, 19- or 20-inch wheels. Price will be around $40,000.

Audi Q7
Q7 to King: Audi makes a big move into the SUV market (finally)
MARK VAUGHN
Published Date: 4/25/05
“This is the Audi answer to the question, ‘What is an SUV from Audi?’” said company chairman Martin Winterkorn at a sneak peek of the finished Q7. “It is our first step in the SUV market.”

Well then, what was the Audi allroad, chopped liver?

“Yes, our first first step was the allroad quattro,” Winterkorn admitted. “But our customers expected much more.”

Particularly American customers. While so many other Audi (and Volkswagen, Porsche, BMW, etc.) products are design ed first and foremost for their home markets, the coming Q7 was designed for American tastes, and Americans will not only get first crack at it when it comes to market early next year, they will get more than half of all production once the line cranks up in Bratislava in October. What’s American? Size.

The big Q is bigger than the Porsche Cayenne and the VW Touareg with which it shares many a part. It is almost six inches longer in the wheelbase than a Cayenne/Touareg, up from 112.4 inches to 118.3. Why the stretch? Primarily to make room for the third row of seats that almost every SUV worth its place in the U.S. market must have nowadays.

The optional third row will allow seating for seven, though Audi says row three is designed for children and will be folded flat most of the time. Standard seating will be two rows with room for five adults.

Also, expect the Q to do without the heavy-duty (and just plain heavy) 4wd systems available on the Cayenne and Touareg in favor of a lighter, simpler quattro system found in the allroad and in Audi sedans. That means it probably won’t have the low-range gear selection or the locking center and rear differentials of the Touareg and Cayenne.

“It’s very respectful of what people are doing with this vehicle,” said designer Danny Garand, who also penned the A8. “For instance, we say off-road, but how often are you using this?”

The Q7 is actually trying to be a less-rugged off-roader and more of several other vehicles.

“It represents the synergy of four different automotive worlds: luxury sedan, sporty coupe, robust off-roader and van,” said Garand.

Why not just throw in tasty dessert topping while you’re at it, Audi? But Garand points to several aspects of the Q7 aimed at achieving those goals. First, it’s very close to the promisingly sporty Pikes Peak concept shown in Detroit in 2003. The side glass is thin and sits high above a higher beltline, for instance. This gives it that coupe look, Garand said.

The very wide rear storage, fold-down rear seats and the roofline higher than the Pikes Peak suggest the utility of a minivan. The limited awd capability and an adjustable airbag suspension mean you at least won’t have to stay home when it snows.

Inside is the luxury sedan part, with a full complement of Audi touches from leather seats to wood trim. The production Q7 will come with a choice of 18-, 19- or 20-inch wheels. The vehicle we saw had 20s. The expansive glass roof of the Pikes Peak will also make production, running about the same length as the standard roof rails.

Underhood will be a choice of the 3.2-liter 240-hp V6 from the Touareg or the next-generation 4.2-liter V8 with stratified fuel injection making 350 hp. Perhaps a year after those engines debut expect to see a V10 TDI or maybe a diesel V6 and/or V8, since Audi and VW are big on diesels. The engine bay of the V8-powered Q7 we looked at had a gap between the forward end of the engine block and the radiator that appeared to be just about the size of two more cylinders.

The Q has paddle shifters on the sides of the steering wheel, suggesting a six-speed Tiptronic of the kind attached to other VW/Audi 4.2-liter V8s.

Once up to speed, worldwide production will be between 60,000 and 70,000 Qs a year. Price will be around $40,000.

If, after seeing this Q, you decide you need more, there are rumors of a QS7 performance model in the future. If this is too much, the A4-based Q5 is said to be coming by 2008. All are good moves, at least while this remains an SUV-happy market.
http://www.autoweek.com/files/specia...7/pages/01.htm
Old 09-14-2005, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Audi Q7
Q7 buyers have a choice of the 3.2-liter 240-hp V6 from the Touareg or the next-generation 4.2-liter V8 with stratified fuel injection making 350 hp. The Q has paddle shifters on the sides of the steering wheel, suggesting a six-speed Tiptronic of the kind attached to other VW/Audi 4.2-liter V8s. The Q is bigger than the Porsche Cayenne and the VW Touareg with which it shares many a part. It is almost six inches longer in the wheelbase than a Cayenne/Touareg, up from 112.4 inches to 118.3. The production Q7 will come with a choice of 18-, 19- or 20-inch wheels. Price will be around $40,000.

Audi Q7
Q7 to King: Audi makes a big move into the SUV market (finally)
MARK VAUGHN
Published Date: 4/25/05
“This is the Audi answer to the question, ‘What is an SUV from Audi?’” said company chairman Martin Winterkorn at a sneak peek of the finished Q7. “It is our first step in the SUV market.”

Well then, what was the Audi allroad, chopped liver?

“Yes, our first first step was the allroad quattro,” Winterkorn admitted. “But our customers expected much more.”

Particularly American customers. While so many other Audi (and Volkswagen, Porsche, BMW, etc.) products are design ed first and foremost for their home markets, the coming Q7 was designed for American tastes, and Americans will not only get first crack at it when it comes to market early next year, they will get more than half of all production once the line cranks up in Bratislava in October. What’s American? Size.

The big Q is bigger than the Porsche Cayenne and the VW Touareg with which it shares many a part. It is almost six inches longer in the wheelbase than a Cayenne/Touareg, up from 112.4 inches to 118.3. Why the stretch? Primarily to make room for the third row of seats that almost every SUV worth its place in the U.S. market must have nowadays.

The optional third row will allow seating for seven, though Audi says row three is designed for children and will be folded flat most of the time. Standard seating will be two rows with room for five adults.

Also, expect the Q to do without the heavy-duty (and just plain heavy) 4wd systems available on the Cayenne and Touareg in favor of a lighter, simpler quattro system found in the allroad and in Audi sedans. That means it probably won’t have the low-range gear selection or the locking center and rear differentials of the Touareg and Cayenne.

“It’s very respectful of what people are doing with this vehicle,” said designer Danny Garand, who also penned the A8. “For instance, we say off-road, but how often are you using this?”

The Q7 is actually trying to be a less-rugged off-roader and more of several other vehicles.

“It represents the synergy of four different automotive worlds: luxury sedan, sporty coupe, robust off-roader and van,” said Garand.

Why not just throw in tasty dessert topping while you’re at it, Audi? But Garand points to several aspects of the Q7 aimed at achieving those goals. First, it’s very close to the promisingly sporty Pikes Peak concept shown in Detroit in 2003. The side glass is thin and sits high above a higher beltline, for instance. This gives it that coupe look, Garand said.

The very wide rear storage, fold-down rear seats and the roofline higher than the Pikes Peak suggest the utility of a minivan. The limited awd capability and an adjustable airbag suspension mean you at least won’t have to stay home when it snows.

Inside is the luxury sedan part, with a full complement of Audi touches from leather seats to wood trim. The production Q7 will come with a choice of 18-, 19- or 20-inch wheels. The vehicle we saw had 20s. The expansive glass roof of the Pikes Peak will also make production, running about the same length as the standard roof rails.

Underhood will be a choice of the 3.2-liter 240-hp V6 from the Touareg or the next-generation 4.2-liter V8 with stratified fuel injection making 350 hp. Perhaps a year after those engines debut expect to see a V10 TDI or maybe a diesel V6 and/or V8, since Audi and VW are big on diesels. The engine bay of the V8-powered Q7 we looked at had a gap between the forward end of the engine block and the radiator that appeared to be just about the size of two more cylinders.

The Q has paddle shifters on the sides of the steering wheel, suggesting a six-speed Tiptronic of the kind attached to other VW/Audi 4.2-liter V8s.

Once up to speed, worldwide production will be between 60,000 and 70,000 Qs a year. Price will be around $40,000.

If, after seeing this Q, you decide you need more, there are rumors of a QS7 performance model in the future. If this is too much, the A4-based Q5 is said to be coming by 2008. All are good moves, at least while this remains an SUV-happy market.
http://www.autoweek.com/files/specia...7/pages/01.htm
Reads like they are trying to compete with MB but not mention their name...wonder why?

In regard to the much talked about 3rd row space. I quote: "The optional third row will allow seating for seven, though Audi says row three is designed for children and will be folded flat most of the time. Standard seating will be two rows with room for five adults." I would not want to be the 5th adult sitting in the middle seat.

Keep in mind the R had never claimed to be an "SUV" while Audi seems to claim the Q7 and the next step in their SUV line but also try to indicate that it is a blend of vehicles. "“It represents the synergy of four different automotive worlds: luxury sedan, sporty coupe, robust off-roader and van,” said Garand. Sounds like a R Class commercial.

Since this is a MB Forum, I doubt you will find much support for a lot of Audi information, although some of it has been revealing regarding the so called "seats 7."

I'm curious...do you think you will be interested in the R63 AMG since you own a C55? That should be one hot set of wheels.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 09-14-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
The fact that the wheelbase of the Q7 is 20 cm shorter than that of the R almost guarantees that the third row seat will be comfortable for small kids only like so many of the other "7-seat" SUVs out there.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:49 AM

Porsche
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I'm curious...do you think you will be interested in the R63 AMG since you own a C55? That should be one hot set of wheels.

The R63 will be pushing $95K+, so no.... lol
Eric...
Old 09-14-2005, 10:51 AM

The fact that the wheelbase of the Q7 is 20 cm shorter than that of the R almost guarantees that the third row seat will be comfortable for small kids only like so many of the other "7-seat" SUVs out there.
Would you sit adults in the third row of the R? I hope that you have some small friends. j/k
Old 09-14-2005, 10:52 AM

Porsche

Well... The problem with the R-class is that with 6 adults you have virtually no luggage room. However with 5 adults in the Q7, you have plenty of room. Even with 5 adults and two children you still have significantly more space behind the 3rd row than the R-class...
Eric...
Old 09-14-2005, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well... The problem with the R-class is that with 6 adults you have virtually no luggage room. However with 5 adults in the Q7, you have plenty of room. Even with 5 adults and two children you still have significantly more space behind the 3rd row than the R-class...
Eric...
Eric...do you have the specs for the area behind the 3rd row in the Q7? The picture is shot with a wide angle lens and may distort the real size. I have a hunch they are pretty close to each other behind the 3rd row.

I repeat...the 5th adult seat is not a full seat and would be a real problem with leg room and hip room with the other rear passengers.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Would you sit adults in the third row of the R? I hope that you have some small friends. j/k
I sat in the 3rd row as you did and really they are quite comfortable and I am 6' tall. A little low to the ground but they are almost full size seats and leg room was adequate. They are not like the 3rd row seats in the wagon at all.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 & Q7
Thank Ekara for Q7 information.

I think Q7 is a very good design SUV -- I probably will get one.
(I don't need the 3rd row but I will load my bicycles there.)

Otto
Old 09-14-2005, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm with you on that rationale...lol louder...

(pertains to R63 comment by Eric)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What I wish the R-class came with...