R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Nevada Jack would be proud!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:46 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Nevada Jack would be proud!

As you know I've been a critic of the R interior even though I liked the package vs. a typical SUV. I brought my S class in for service tonight and saw a great looking vehicle, the Saks 5th Ave R500. What an awesome interior.

Long story short, I'm (actually it's for my wife) now the proud owner of a Saks 5th Ave R500. Surprised?
Old 11-04-2005, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
Congrats G55K, please post some pictures, what was the price? would love to see pics of the special edition.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
He would be very proud.

Wow A Saks 5th Ave R500. Was it hard to get? Definitely some pics would help me appreciate it more.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by G55K
As you know I've been a critic of the R interior even though I liked the package vs. a typical SUV. I brought my S class in for service tonight and saw a great looking vehicle, the Saks 5th Ave R500. What an awesome interior.

Long story short, I'm (actually it's for my wife) now the proud owner of a Saks 5th Ave R500. Surprised?
Damn...if you bought one the flood gates are open...:-)

Congratulations! I had oodles of pictures of this model posted from the press party in California and it looked great. The sporty interior really looks nice. I know you will be happy with this car and let us see some pictures soon.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The MBUSA site is down for upgrading but I was able to find this on the Sak's model.

THE MERCEDES-BENZ SIGNATURE EDITION
2006 R-CLASS FOR SAKS FIFTH AVENUE

Mercedes-Benz USA will make a generous donation of $1 million to Saks Fifth Avenue's Key To The Cure through the sale of 750 Signature Edition 2006 R-Class vehicles. Built exclusively for Saks, the all-new Signature Edition R-Class combines permanent 4-wheel drive sport utility flexibility with sport sedan performance, luxury wagon comfort and versatility.

The Signature Edition for KTTC will be exclusively equipped with the following combination of features:
19" 5-spoke wheels
Alcantara suede seats with silver contrast stitching
Aluminum interior trim
Sport pedals
Sport seats
Exterior chrome trim
Old 11-05-2005, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I searched my files and found this. I think this is the interior of the Sak's R500.

The exterior has 19" AMG looking wheels as I remember...cool car!
Old 11-06-2005, 12:01 AM

Well I must admit that I've enjoyed my first 24 hours with the R. I've had all three kids in the vehicle and everyone fits very comfortably. As an experiment I loaded the R with enough luggage for my family and I for a long week in the mountains. Much to my surprise the R was able to hold 4 very large bags, 1 wife, 3 kids, 1 50LB dog, and a stroller. I'm shocked at how big this thing really is. I parked it next to my Ford Expedition today and it's a good 2-4 inches longer.

The Saks interior package is really nice as compared to the standard interior. Mercedes needs to make this an option for all R's as it's a night and day improvement over the stock interior. The 19" wheels also make a huge difference vs. the 18". I'm a huge fan of the panaromic roof as are my children. They thought it was cool driving home tonight and being able to look up at the stars. The only downside is the fact that the roof is going to make it more difficult to install televisions. The radio/stereo is excellent, one of the best that I've heard in a Mercedes. I was really surprised at all of the features available in this vehicle, it's going to take me weeks to learn how to use everything. I still wish that Mercedes offered a middle row bench as it would ne nice to have the option to load up all three kids in the middle row. However, my 4 and 6 year olds think it's cool to sit in the third row so I don't think I'd get them in the middle anyways. I can't believe I'm saying this but I love the interior in this car. If you're in the market for an R you need to check out the Saks interior.

I'm also surprised at how much I've enjoyed driving it. Don't let anyone fool you it does not feel sporty by any stretch of the imagination. You are always aware that you are piloting a hefty vehicle. The 500 engine is a must out here in Denver as I think that the 350 would really struggle in the mountains. For such a large vehicle the acceleration is fairly impressive, it feels like an S430. The handling is what you'd expect for such a large vehicle, it feels like an S Class on "comfort" setting. The brakes are outstanding and you do feel extremely safe. I like driving this as much as my S 4-matic.

In conclusion; I'm impressed. It does what it was meant to do very well. I feel very comfortable knowing that my wife and children are traveling in one of the safest people movers on the road. I will not miss the Expedition even though it was very reliable and problem free.

BTW, MSRP on this vehicle was $69,700 and they let it go for $68,500 and agreed to throw in a set of $1,000 19" Blizzak snow tires. The stock tires on the 19" wheels will not do well in the Rocky Mountain snow so I'm putting the Blizzaks on for the winter. This was the first R500 that this dealership has sold. Mercedes needs to do a better job at promoting these or, I'm afraid, they might be a bust. I leased mine for 24 months in anticipation of poor resale value. The 24 month residual was 69% which, IMO, is excellent.

Trending Topics

Old 11-06-2005, 09:22 AM

Pics Pics Pics!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:23 AM

2006 ML350
Yep, pics, pics, pics and more pics...!!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well G55K...it looks like the R will suit you just fine. A great report and you obviously are into this vehicle with enthusiasm. I am glad to see someone who had some serious and valid concerns accept this car and have such positive comments about it.

I agree that the marketing for the R has been sparse and lacks imagination. They need something to spur the spirit of the car, not two guys riding in the original MB being amazed in what they see. Show us the car, features, closeups, make it exciting to drive an R Class! This car has "it" and I only hope MB does not miss the opportunity they have as the "only" one of its kind right now.

That is a fantastic residual so in two years you can't get hurt too bad should they decide to lower prices if the car does not move.

Enjoy it and let's see some pic's...
Old 11-06-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
WE WANT PICS!!! Congrats! What exactly is the difference between the stock and Saks interior?? CONGRATS!

As far as the marketing, I actually think that there print ads are not good at all! Nothing draws you to read the ad, very unimaginative....
Old 11-06-2005, 11:30 AM
MKW

08 GL450
I thought this through in our decision whan we looked at the R class : with three kids in a 2/2/2 seating configuration, the luggage next to the third kid in the third row and behind it are not prevented from becoming cannonballs in an accident since they cannot be secured behind a continuous wall of seat backs and a horiz and vertical net .
Old 11-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
i've seen a couple of ads in magazines. Doesn't really catch my attention, neither do the tv commericals. The cars need to be used and driven, not just looked at.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by MKW
I thought this through in our decision whan we looked at the R class : with three kids in a 2/2/2 seating configuration, the luggage next to the third kid in the third row and behind it are not prevented from becoming cannonballs in an accident since they cannot be secured behind a continuous wall of seat backs and a horiz and vertical net .
That was one of my concerns also until I loaded the vehicle and realized it's as well secured as most SUV's. In a roll over accident in an SUV the luggage will also wind up all over the interior like any vehicle. I've seen a few bad accidents heading up the mountains and many of them have one thing in common; luggage all over the place and on the road regardless of the type of vehicle. The R class also has several tie down points inside the vehicle. Also, to my surprise, a large double stroller fits in the back with all the seats down.

Another interesting option is the "coffin" carrier on top for long trips. I hate these on SUVs but on the R it sits low enough to allow easy loading.

I've been won over. I promise to post pics as soon as I have a chance.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:26 AM
MKW

08 GL450
That was one of my concerns also until I loaded the vehicle and realized it's as well secured as most SUV's. In a roll over accident in an SUV the luggage will also wind up all over the interior like any vehicle. I've seen a few bad accidents heading up the mountains and many of them have one thing in common; luggage all over the place and on the road regardless of the type of vehicle. The R class also has several tie down points inside the vehicle. Also, to my surprise, a large double stroller fits in the back with all the seats down.
We never travel even on local shopping trips without the vertical " dog net " up on our ML or E Wagon as well as securing everything with the multipoint tie -down nets and pocket nets and the cargo covers . It'll never be as safe as luggage in the trunk of a sedan, but every little bit helps.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:37 PM

05 SLK 350, 97 S420, 92 Jeep, 04 Kia, 28 Ford Tudor, 51 Ford F3, 01 Harley, 03 Harley

I now have to go look for one......!!!
I bought a Launch Edition SLK last year which was under the same promotion. It is unique and we have had several comments on it. Different look, color and very nice.
Besides being sharp and one of a kind (well for this area) it is for a good cause as well.
Your R class if definitely better looking than the one I tested this weekend. As soon as I get off the computer I am calling !!!

Congrats, looks really sharp!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Congrats on your purchase G55K.. It looks like the R-class was a perfect fit for your family all along. I wish you luck with it and I'm sure it will be a great cruiser...
Eric...
Old 11-09-2005, 09:10 PM

1963 220Sb
Congrats G55, can you take some pics of the Interior??? Thanks again!
Old 11-10-2005, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by PHYBENZ
Congrats G55, can you take some pics of the Interior??? Thanks again!
Hope this works. Sorry for the lousy picture quality but this is all I have for now.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Here's some picture of my 900HP twin charged Evo just for fun.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...MXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Old 11-10-2005, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great looking car and interior. TV install looks fantastic!

If you use [img] [/img] code instead of url code the pictures should show on the post.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:35 PM

Mercedes all the way!
nice indeed what exactly are the main differences between the saks R and the usual? cuz from what i can see from the pictures, the main difference is just that it's all black. looks like a bit more leather with contrasting white stitching as well? i mean, why did THIS vehicle give you the WOW whereas the others didn't?

btw, looks like your camera (phone?) has a "stuck" pixel somewhere around the left middle
Old 11-10-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche

WHOA!!!! Is that the most powerful EVO to date? What's the quarter time and trap speed on something like that?
Eric...
Old 11-10-2005, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ruykava
nice indeed what exactly are the main differences between the saks R and the usual? cuz from what i can see from the pictures, the main difference is just that it's all black. looks like a bit more leather with contrasting white stitching as well? i mean, why did THIS vehicle give you the WOW whereas the others didn't?

btw, looks like your camera (phone?) has a "stuck" pixel somewhere around the left middle
See my post higher in the thread ruykava. It lists the combination of features in the Sak's version. He also has other options besides the features on the Saks model.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by ruykava

Sorry the pics are so lousy. The interior uses a higher quality leather with alcantara (hope I spelled that right) inserts. The dash uses real aluminum instead of the wood which looks much better IMO. There are some touches that aren't available on the regular R. It's one of those things that you really have to see and touch. IMO the difference is substantial.

I have just over 300 miles on the R now and I still can't believe how much I like it. The S class has been sitting in the garage ever since I bought it.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by EKaru
WHOA!!!! Is that the most powerful EVO to date? What's the quarter time and trap speed on something like that?
Eric...
We've just finished it and will be ready to run it at the track as soon as it opens. The power curve looks like a Viper instead of a 4 banger. It makes over 45 psi of boost and can rev to 9500 rpms. It has a Holinger dogbox tranny with a sequential shifter. It's been a lot of fun to build and design. Kleemann actually helped with the supercharger and bypass valve design.