2017 E300W
MB is Having Trouble Selling These

Really low sales numbers and $5,000 dealer incentives:

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...424&ID=5664095
Old 04-25-2006, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
I think People are waiting to see if gas will sky rocket more. if this is the case you will see this big SUV with $10000 rebate.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:31 PM

Q & R
I have received email surveys from MB asking about the R. The survey shows a lot of concern on how a consumer percieves this vehicle. MB calls it a Grand Sports Tourer. It is not an SUV, and it is not a station wagon. That is what the survey tries to determine - is this viewed as an SUV, a wagon, or something else? If there are any MB sales people on this forum I think they can tell you that consumers are getting turned off by the look - it is not utilitarian looking, IE Hummer, nor is it sporty looking, IE Infiniti FX. It most looks like a big station wagon. The exact image the SUV buyer is avoiding. This leaves a small segment of the market who may like the styling - the station wagon buyer. However, it is a bit big and cumbersome for most traditional buyers of the likes of E Wagons and Volvo wagons.

This is NOT a flame on the R, as I myself am very interested in buying one, esp with the incentives!

I am however disappointed that MB didn't do this vehicle right. The fact is it IS big and the most interested buyers would be ones needing a great amount of seating capacity. Therefore it should have 7 seats. I would have already traded in my ML (7 seats) if the R had an additional seat. Esp with the better gas mileage.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
This is hot topic right now, the lackluster sales of the R-Class. I'm seeing more and move them on the roads, but if you look at the sales figures they're way up one month and then down the next.

I think the R missed the target for several reasons. First off they styling went got killed from concept to production. That concept "Vision GST" was stunning both inside and out. Of course the Lamborghini-style doors couldn't make production, but the body should have been kept as close to the concept as possible. Mercedes is more than capable of doing this, witness the Vision CLS and the production CLS, both gorgeous and the production model barely lost anything compared to the original concept. So styling is one issue, a big one from what I see people write about the R on other forums. First flaw: Styling - it strayed to far from the concept.

Next up is the interior. Again the concept had a much better looking interior with a futuristic looking twin-post design with lots of real aluminum and what not. Ok some of that has to be toned down for production, but the design/layout should have been kept the same. Then there is a quality of materials issue that still plauges the Bama made cars. Yes they're all better than the original ML in both design and quality, but there are other products in the SUV/Crossover segment with better built interiors with greater material and assembly quality. A Mercedes is not supposed to be surpassed in this area. Period especially at an opening price of around 50K. If Mercedes is going to market the R (as they initially intended) as executive transport for 6 then the interior should be a knock out in both quality and design, something futuristic an unlike any other Mercedes would have done the trick along with material quality like that of the new S or the CLS. Second Flaw: interior design/styling and quality (for the price and mission of the vehicle they aren't up to snuff).

There there is the issue of price vs standard equipment. Simply put there are too many options and not enough standard equipment. Since the the R doesn't appeal a executive express for 6 it is being cross-shopped with minivans and no matter how clueless a buyer may be about a Mercedes' other virtues they'll always compare the window sticker equipment to a common minvan and the R doesn't favor well, unless you spend another 10-12K in options which by then the price is way to high for this type of buyer. Third Flaw: Value equation is way out of whack even for a Mercedes.

Overall the R isn't practical enough to be called or function as a minivan and it isn't styling or luxurious enough to live up to the initial promise of the concept being a new type of executive express for 6 people. A jack of a all trades and a master of none if you will. So the road is going to be long and hard for the R until it gets a re-design in 2012 if the typial 7 years apply. I can't imagine it going that long and still selling in good enough numbers for it to make sense to keep producing it.

That said, the R320 CDI should be somewhat popular and I guess the result of all this surveying will be a re-package of the equipment and options. Now what I don't get is why Mercedes isn't putting the new V8s in the R (or ML) for 2007. Now that is just plain dumb. My little theory for this is that they're waiting for the V8s to be fitted with direct-injection for more power and less consumption for the U.S. market. Afterall what other reason could there be for not selling the new GL500 (our 550) in the U.S. when it is on sale already in Europe? If this happens it will be for the 2008 model year, next spring at the earliest....a long time for the now ancient SOHC V8 to soldier on.

__________________________________________________ _____________

My post on how I'd "fix" the R-Class for 2007 from another forum (Edmunds):

I can see a R320CDI, R350, R450, and a top lux (only one or two options, if any) R550.

The R550 would be a expected low-volume full-luxury model with the Panoramic Roof Package and AMG Sport Package being the only options. Everything else should be standard on the R550, just like for 2007 everything is standard on the top of the line S600. The R550 would be a 67-70K loaded only vehicle.

The R450 would have standard Airmatic, Trim Package, Comfort Package and Heating Package with the same base price as the current R500.

Then the R350 would of course see no price increase, but would include some standard features like heated seats and the Comfort Package.

The R320 CDI would be priced only 1K more than the R350 with the same standard equipment.

This may or may not work, but either way I think a R450 needs to stay the same price as the R500 and have more standard equipment. If it the R450 isn't going to have more standard equipment or the same standard equipment as the current R500 it should cost less than the current R500 and let the R550 take the place of the current R500. I'm sure MBUSA is coming up with a plan to re-launch the R-Class and shuffle around the equipment/prices etc. to get this thing selling. Some exit interviews of people who looked at, but didn't buy an R-Class would tell volumes I think.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 04-28-2006 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:03 AM

Q & R
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Overall the R isn't practical enough to be called or function as a minivan and it isn't styling or luxurious enough to live up to the initial promise of the concept being a new type of executive express for 6 people. A jack of a all trades and a master of none if you will. So the road is going to be long and hard for the R until it gets a re-design in 2012 if the typial 7 years apply. I can't imagine it going that long and still selling in good enough numbers for it to make sense to keep producing it.
BAM!!!

You hit the nail right on the head.

At the Houston Auto show this year, the salesman watching over the MB display approached people asking for their opinions about the R. They had no less than 3 Rs on display.

Daimler-Chrysler-Mercedes, if you have lurkers here, listen up!
Old 04-30-2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Trekman
I think People are waiting to see if gas will sky rocket more. if this is the case you will see this big SUV with $10000 rebate.
Actually, owning an R350, I disagree with this. I think if more people understand what the R is, and appreciate the great gas mileage the R350 is capable of, it will take sales from other more gas-guzzling vehicles people are buying to transport six people and some baggage. Or six passengers and a big dog. In S-class style. It's a great value with all the current deals. Fantastic ride.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:39 PM

Q & R
Originally Posted by BuckarooBenzai
Actually, owning an R350, I disagree with this. I think if more people understand what the R is, and appreciate the great gas mileage the R350 is capable of, it will take sales from other more gas-guzzling vehicles people are buying to transport six people and some baggage. Or six passengers and a big dog. In S-class style. It's a great value with all the current deals. Fantastic ride.
I hear great MPG results with this car and that is great reason to buy the R350 - but I just wish it had a 7 seat option. I cannot lose that 7th seat that I have now in my ML.

If MB was serious about offering a vehicle that can offer decent MPG as a competitive edge, why are they forcing buyers into the GL for 7 seats? The new ML does not have a 3rd row.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by cyeung65
I hear great MPG results with this car and that is great reason to buy the R350 - but I just wish it had a 7 seat option. I cannot lose that 7th seat that I have now in my ML.

If MB was serious about offering a vehicle that can offer decent MPG as a competitive edge, why are they forcing buyers into the GL for 7 seats? The new ML does not have a 3rd row.
The MPG results are questionable too when compared to the new and much bigger yet just as efficient 7-seat Tahoe and Denali (both have big V8's BTW).

Anyway, a Diesel is on the way for the R so I wouldn't give up just yet. Maybe then it will hit it's stride.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:01 AM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
I think MB was trying to create a segment which doesn't exist.......and probably won't ever exist.
They should have taken a Toyota Sienna/Honda Odyssey/Dodge Caravan and pillaged the best ideas ie: sliding doors-hideaway seats- kid friendly controls- more storage and room for seven and MB would have had a winner.
Why MB would gamble on a market that doesn't exist when they could have sold a R-class to every soccer mom is a mystery. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.............
Old 05-04-2006, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm starting to think they shouldn't have fooled with making an R period if they weren't going to keep it at 90 percent of the concept for the production version. That concept would have sold on looks alone both exterior and interior.

M
Old 05-04-2006, 04:08 PM

Q & R
Originally Posted by MagicO309D
The MPG results are questionable too when compared to the new and much bigger yet just as efficient 7-seat Tahoe and Denali (both have big V8's BTW).

Anyway, a Diesel is on the way for the R so I wouldn't give up just yet. Maybe then it will hit it's stride.
Have you seen this thread?
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=mpg
The EPA ratings for the R350 are 16 and 21 and I believe the 2WD 07 Yukon with the 5.3L V8 is the same. But seems like folks are getting better than EPA ratings. I would believe the Yukon's real world numbers are hard pressed to top the EPA ratings.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:17 PM

Whats the point of buying a rebadged Toyota Matrix? LOL!!!!!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews...matrix.500.jpg

Old 05-04-2006, 04:35 PM

Q & R
A quote from the referenced article:
"However, Mercedes said it remained committed to the long-term success of R-Class, built in Alabama, and said it just had to explain to customers what the model – sold as a "grand sports tourer" – was for."

Explain to customers??????

This is not a restaurant where you can give samples for a taste test.

MB marketing is on crack! What was the last successful new car intro that required an "explanation"?

The Mazda Miata? The 65 Ford Mustang? The 2005 Ford Mustang? The 98 ML320?
Old 05-19-2006, 11:09 AM

'03 ML350 Inspiration, '01 SAAB 9-5
Originally Posted by JLP
I think MB was trying to create a segment which doesn't exist.......and probably won't ever exist.
They should have taken a Toyota Sienna/Honda Odyssey/Dodge Caravan and pillaged the best ideas ie: sliding doors-hideaway seats- kid friendly controls- more storage and room for seven and MB would have had a winner.
Why MB would gamble on a market that doesn't exist when they could have sold a R-class to every soccer mom is a mystery. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.............

Are there any recent sales figure out there for the R-Class? It seems they are starting to pick up in sales. not sure if it has to do with the incentives or the lease deals, but I have personally seen about 10 on the road near my house, and when recently visiting the service center saw about 7 or 8 plated R's in the parking lot.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 320
I think they sold a little more than 1600 in April. Not a great number, but respectable. I am also seeing a way lot more on the roads in and around NYC. I was feeling quite lonely for a while *lol*.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:08 PM

They're starting to look almost normal now LOL!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wonder if the re-package of options and the addition of the R320 and R63 AMG will give sales a boost for 2007? Mercedes needs to promote the hell out of the R320 (and all their upcoming diesel models) when they arrive because of the price of gas nowadays. Diesel is more than premium gas around here, but you get more out of each gallon of diesel, MB needs to make sure people realize that.

M
Old 05-22-2006, 04:48 PM

'03 ML350 Inspiration, '01 SAAB 9-5
Originally Posted by MagicO309D
They're starting to look almost normal now LOL!

On average, I see at least 1 different one a day.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
I went to my dealer to check out an SLR on display and asked about R class sales.. he looked soooooooo disappointed, i must have seen 15 new ones on sale.. all collecting dust.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:58 PM
JDM

2011 C300
I'm really suprised to hear of slow sales, as it seems much of the public likes funky these days..
Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Almost a Member!

S500 2004
well here in new york you will c at least more than 15 in an hour specially by where i live who doesnt have one i dont know how are the sales in NEW YORK but to me they seem ok not as the s550 but they ok
Attached Thumbnails MB is Having Trouble Selling These-true.jpg