R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Why there are so many R-Class haters out there?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2006 | 08:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)
Why there are so many R-Class haters out there?

I have decided to trade my beloved X5 for a R-class more than 3 weeks now (still neg. a deal with my dealer).

Everytime I read other car forums, people are always making fun of the R-class and mention how odd and bad looking the car is. My wife and I love the R-class and all but these haters definitely get to us and make us triple think about our decision to get a R-class. To make it even more difficult for us is that we have the same dislike of the appearance especially the odd shape headlamps .... look kind of funny..... sorry... just looking for support here.....

http://www.x5world.com/x6-e72-forum/...-spy-pics.html

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/c...cedes-BenzR500

http://forums.audiworld.com/q7/msgs/2343.phtml
Old 07-11-2006 | 08:20 PM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I consider it to be ugly -- at least the least beautiful MBZ available for purhcase in the USA.

But I also think that the Porsche Cayenne is ugly (unless it is done-up by Techart!). And it is one of the best cars out there for what it does, for the purpose it fulfills.

Point is that it does what it does so well. Hard to argue about the utilitarian value of a minivan -- even if one doesn't want to drive one, or be seen driving one(!).

I can't hardly wait to get my R; and I will decide if it does for me what I want it to do, very well, or just 'decently'. If the answer is very well, then I don't care how 'ugly' or 'minivan-ish' it seems -- I will love owning and driving the car.
Old 07-11-2006 | 09:38 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Yes, I consider it to be ugly -- at least the least beautiful MBZ available for purhcase in the USA.

But I also think that the Porsche Cayenne is ugly (unless it is done-up by Techart!). And it is one of the best cars out there for what it does, for the purpose it fulfills.

Point is that it does what it does so well. Hard to argue about the utilitarian value of a minivan -- even if one doesn't want to drive one, or be seen driving one(!).

I can't hardly wait to get my R; and I will decide if it does for me what I want it to do, very well, or just 'decently'. If the answer is very well, then I don't care how 'ugly' or 'minivan-ish' it seems -- I will love owning and driving the car.

ClayJ,

can you post specs of your car, what int/ext color combo and options/packages did you order?
Old 07-12-2006 | 02:55 AM
ON PROBATION

I couldn't post pictures of a car at the moment as I am on probationary status, and this precludes me from posting pictures.....

I am going to pick up an R500 off the ground - sitting on a lot in the USA at a dealership - or put my name on an incoming one either already built and headed for the USA, or with an immediate build date which will soon be on its way to the USA.

I will then order-up an R63 AMG for one of my USA residences while I am visiting with AMG in Germany in the next month or so -- after I have carefully considered what all of my options will be in ordering the build.

That car will most likely be completely loaded options-wise, with a few AMG Manufaktur goodies thrown in like full leather trim in the interior, for instance. I am intending for that car to have either the silver that McLaren-Mercedes is using on this year's F1 cars or what I call Blu-tech Blue (same color as on the Blue-Tech diesel showcar at Geneva this year) for the exterior color. Alpine Rain is a distant third choice. The interior color will probably be something in brown like Tobacco Brown in the SLR, or the new Designo Cognac in the SL series. Like I said, I want to go and see what all of my actual options are before I build that car....

This is my desired build on the R500 that I will pick up first in the USA:

Exterior Color: either Pewter, Silver, or Alpine Rain
Interior Color: either Macadamia or Black

Packages:
Premium Package
Trim Package
Lighting Package
AMG Sport Package (if available)
Heating Package (if available)
Air-Suspension

Additional Options:
Multi-Contour Front Seats
Parktronic
Rear Side Airbags
3-Zone Climate Controls
Keyless Go

The Rear Seat Entertainment Option is not a must have for me, but it is included in the Premium Package which has alot of things that I do want.

Hope that helped.

I will post-up pics of both cars when they are in my possession (should be off probation by then(!) ).
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:37 AM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by ClayJ
I couldn't post pictures of a car at the moment as I am on probationary status, and this precludes me from posting pictures.....

Thanks for posting the specs. Why not try Imageshack to host your pictures and just post the link here.
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Forget what others think, you got the car for you right?

Besides, some guys on X5world are real *******s.
Old 07-12-2006 | 01:15 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by firstmbml350
Thanks for posting the specs. Why not try Imageshack to host your pictures and just post the link here.
A web picture-hosting site like Imageshack will give me more exposure on the internet than I would like to have....

I am sure that I will be off of probation in time to readily post-up here.

Are you looking at an R-Class as well?
Old 07-12-2006 | 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 320
The majority of R "haters..."

...are non-R owners, or just MB bashers. All of the other R owners I have met simply love the car. Even those who have had some (minor) issues.
Old 07-12-2006 | 07:58 PM
ON PROBATION

I have only heard of one actual R owner changing-out to a different vehicle -- and that wasn't because of the quality, the function, or the performance of the R, but was rather because of the size, and he decided to go with a smaller vehicle....
Old 07-12-2006 | 08:30 PM

I hope it is just me... just browsed around in Edmunds and found another crossover vehicle. Does kinda look like the R. Check out what Edmunds says about the car too....six seats, three rows, 119 wheelbase, sun roof and the 21" wheels.

I also check some of the discussions and they actually praise this over the R in the look category... honestly the front definitely doesn't look bad at all and replace the MB emble on it may work ....

On the other hand, I would rather drive a Honda or Toyota minivan than have people see me in this thing..... not really crazy about the brand..... sorry...
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=100634291

Last edited by supernsx; 07-12-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2006 | 11:13 PM
Almost a Member!

yeah

I agree that it is ugly...mine needed aftermarket work, I am still working on its nip-tuck botox proceedures.

But then again, this was the only Mini-Van I was willing to own and drive, since I am now a Dad.

Believe me, as ugly as the R-Class is, I would not drive a Toyota Sienna, Honda Oddysey, Dodge Caravan or worse yet, the KIA Sedona.
Old 07-14-2006 | 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Man-Du
I agree that it is ugly...mine needed aftermarket work, I am still working on its nip-tuck botox proceedures.

But then again, this was the only Mini-Van I was willing to own and drive, since I am now a Dad.

Believe me, as ugly as the R-Class is, I would not drive a Toyota Sienna, Honda Oddysey, Dodge Caravan or worse yet, the KIA Sedona.
Man-Du,
Your R looks awesome with those 22" wheels. If you are planning to do more, please keep us updated.

I would really like to know what people are doing to their R to make it looks better.