Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
R-Class Updates and Changes

Stuttgart, May 10, 2007
Even greater interior adaptability, two wheelbase lengths, rear-wheel drive or 4MATIC all-wheel drive and new engine variants – the Mercedes-Benz R-Class now opens up even more possibilities, especially when it comes to seating arrangements. The line-up, which includes the familiar configurations with up to six individual seats, has been augmented to include a five-seat version and a seven-seat variant. Plus new, distinctive bodystyling at the front and rear end lends the SUV Tourer added appeal.

The Mercedes-Benz R-Class continues to set trends. This exceptional automotive concept combines the acknowledged strengths of several vehicle classes. Exemplary touring comfort, superlative handling dynamics, a high level of adaptability, extremely spacious accommodation, including a vast luggage compartment, coupled with expressive design and hallmark Mercedes safety – the R-Class leaves very little to be desired. For the first time, the SUV Tourer features a second row of seats for three people, giving a total of five seats and an unbeatably large versatile load compartment: the short-wheelbase versions can swallow 939 litres of luggage when loaded up to the roof, while the long-wheelbase models have a luggage-compartment capacity of 1118 litres. The short-wheelbase R Class can carry a maximum of 2001 litres (longest load-compartment length 1982 mm) whilst the figure for the long-wheelbase version is an unparalleled 2436 litres (longest load-compartment length 2217 mm). These passenger- and load-compartment dimensions make the R-Class the most spacious model in the entire Mercedes-Benz passenger-car range. Both versions feature practical stowage compartments under the load-compartment floor, with a capacity of 51 and 52 litres respectively. These can be used for stowing various items and keeping valuables out of sight.

Adaptability writ large

Even holiday trips with five people and all their luggage on board are handled with ease. If the rear seat in the centre is not required, it can be turned into a comfortable centre armrest in just a few simple moves. The second seat row has space for three child seats or child restraint systems. The outer seats are equipped with ISOFIX attachment points and come with the option of side airbags to further improve passive safety. All of the seats are fitted with three-point seat belts. Plus two individual seats can be added at the rear to transform the R-Class into a 5+2-seater. Despite the new seating arrangement in the centre of the vehicle, convenience functions such as fore/aft adjustment and EASY ENTRY, which facilitates access to the rear seats, are retained. All of the seats in the rear compartment can be folded down individually to produce a completely flat loading area. The previously mandatory 4+2-seat configuration is still available as an option.

Attractive exterior exudes confidence

The new model-year R-Class not only boasts new interior features. On the outside, too, the facelifted SUV Tourer is distinguishable by the highly distinctive bodystyling package at the front and rear, circular fog lamps and 18-inch light-alloy wheels for all V6 versions. The top-of-the-range R 500 4MATIC is fitted with 19-inch wheels. R-Class customers can also choose from three new paint colours: calcite white, sanidine beige or periclase green. These changes apply to both the short-wheelbase and long-wheelbase models.

Complete range from R 280 CDI to R 500 4MATIC

The engine line-up is augmented by the new V6 petrol powerplant in the R 280, which shines with its impressive power delivery and moderate fuel-consumption figures. This particular unit develops 170 kW/231 hp, propels the R-Class from 0 to 100 km/h in 9.6 seconds and consumes a mere 10.9 litres of premium unleaded per 100 km (NEDC-combined figure). The R 280 CDI 4MATIC, fitted with a latest-generation common-rail diesel engine developing 140 kW/190 hp, is even more fuel efficient. With a peak torque of 440 Nm, the V6 powerplant delivers smooth performance yet requires just 9.3 litres of diesel per 100 km. The R 500 4MATIC model also features a new engine in the shape of a 5.5-litre V8 developing 285 kW/388 hp and a peak torque of 530 Nm, thus ensuring impressive performance figures. The flagship V8 engine develops 82 hp more than the previous model, while fuel consumption has been reduced by up to 7 percent (all NEDC-combined figures). All R-Class models are specified with the innovative 7G-TRONIC automatic transmission with DIRECT SELECT lever on the steering column.

Mercedes-Benz now offers three new entry-level R-Class models – the R 280 CDI, the R 280 and the R 350 – all of which are V6 versions with rear-wheel drive and a choice of a short or long wheelbase. Thanks to the reduction in weight and the lower powertrain losses due to friction, the latter on account of the rear-wheel-drive configuration, these models return even lower fuel-consumption figures. The most fuel-efficient R-Class is now the R 280 CDI which consumes just 8.9 litres of diesel per 100 km (NEDC combined).

All five-seater and 4+2-seater model variants are equipped with steel suspension, while air suspension with level control is available as an optional extra for the rear axle. All 5+2-seater variants and the flagship R 500 4MATIC model have air suspension with level control fitted as standard at the rear. AIRMATIC air suspension with the Adaptive Damping System (ADS) is available as an optional extra for all versions.

More Pics:

eMercedesBenz - The Unofficial Mercedes-Benz Weblog

I don't see any real styling changes at first glance, but as you can see there is now a 5 and 7-seat option. I still don't think they've done enough, IMO. I was expecting some real sheetmetal changes, but there is the option of RWD and the R500 becomes the R550 (R500 in Europe) with the 5.5L V8. No R450. Not sure how the various seating arrangements will play out here or if there will be a RWD R350.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 05-11-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
those nappy light grey matte fog light surrounds are gone...they look like ***** on any color but silver.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q & R
So why is there not yet any info on the MB USA website? Looks the the Eurpoean market has fixed the changes and prices...thought this was built on this side of the pond.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is built here in Bama, but Europe always gets new Mercedes' before we do, much closer to "home".

M
Old 05-17-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You get AMG body as standard. Similar to what MB did with C230 model.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:32 PM

2008 R320 CDI, 2006 SLK350
When I placed my order for a 2008 R class a few weeks ago, only the R350 is available in a rear drive version in the U.S. They have also taken the glass roof out of the Premium I and II packages and made it a stand alone option. The three zone climate control was also taken out of the Premium Package II. You can now order the three zone climate control seperately. The 3 across seating in the second row is an option in the U.S. market for 2008.

From reading the above, it is interesting that the three across seating appears to be standard in European configurations.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:18 PM

2007 R320
Originally Posted by FunBenz
When I placed my order for a 2008 R class a few weeks ago, only the R350 is available in a rear drive version in the U.S. They have also taken the glass roof out of the Premium I and II packages and made it a stand alone option. The three zone climate control was also taken out of the Premium Package II. You can now order the three zone climate control seperately. The 3 across seating in the second row is an option in the U.S. market for 2008.

From reading the above, it is interesting that the three across seating appears to be standard in European configurations.
FunBenz -

Congratulations on your 08 R-Class order. Glad to see that you are still in the Market for an R, which to me is an amazing vehicle minus a few glitches typical with MB cars or any high-end vehicles that come with so many bells and whistles. Care to share what options your car will be equipped or these are still being added/deleted as the options list is still taking shape. How's the pricing and/or discount that you experience with your 08 order?

Did you order an R320 or R350? I've driven an 07 R320 since March and wouldnt think twice about doing it again. The fuel mileage is GREAT, getting close to 25 MPG (60% hwy, 40 city), and almost 40 cents cheaper than premium unleaded. So when you put together a 30% mileage advantage + a 10% cheaper in fuel, which gives you a strong 40% FUEL ECONOMY if you have a diesel R320.

As an R owner, here is my minimum reminder on options for new owners:

Independent of Individual needs / this car should have (very reasonable pricings):
- DVD Navigation (gotta have it)
- BiXenon Headlamps ($900, why even think about it)
- Leather Trim (worth the money)
- Power tailgate

Individual needs / personal desires:
- Single sunroof vs. Panoramic roof (good to have if carry passengers in the back)
- RSE / DVD dual headrests monitors (aftermarker system will forfeit the active headrest restraints, although this almost doesnt play burned DVD discs)
- Parktronic / Backup Camera (a very convenient / safety / useful feature, but can be pricey. In MY 07, backup camera was available only as part of PII package)

Other SO-SO options to consider:
- Memory Power seats & Folding Mirrors
- Heated Seats (good to have and good price if driving in the cold states)

Luxury Options:
- AirMatic Suspension
- Distronic / adaptive cruise control
- Keyless Go

Good luck to all.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:27 PM

2007 R320
The standard 3-across seating for European R-Class is may be due to the "short" wheel base that's only available in Europe. The 3rd row seats on the short wheel-base models must be very cramped and therefore it makes sense to have the 2nd row to have 3 seatings across while the 3rd row seats being folded for cargo space.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:30 PM

RDriver:
Sorry for taking so long to check back. I have the R320CDI ordered. It is due for production in in the first 10 days of August, so I should have it by late August. I have ordered the Premium Package II, along with the Panaramic Roof, 3 Zone Climate control with Infared Windshield, and heated front seats. (The Panaramic Roof and 3 Zone Climate control was part of the Premium II package for 2007; however, they are now seperate items). One of the joys of ordering before Mercedes starts shipping a new model year is that there is no pricing. I will not know that until July when they the first 2008 models start shipping. I just negoitiated a flat percentage discount. By the time Mercedes dropped the May production when my 2007 model was suppose to be built, there was just not any R320's that had the equipment I wanted with heated front seats with Premium II package. The dealer looked at inventory almost 1,000 miles out from Memphis where I am located. (As a MBCA member, I am eligible for a $2000 rebate on 2007 models, so this cost me at least that much. I have rationalized that I will get that back when the day comes that I trade it in since it will be a model year newer.)
Old 06-18-2007, 01:22 PM

2007 R320
RDriver:
Sorry for taking so long to check back. I have the R320CDI ordered. It is due for production in in the first 10 days of August, so I should have it by late August. I have ordered the Premium Package II, along with the Panaramic Roof, 3 Zone Climate control with Infared Windshield, and heated front seats. (The Panaramic Roof and 3 Zone Climate control was part of the Premium II package for 2007; however, they are now seperate items). One of the joys of ordering before Mercedes starts shipping a new model year is that there is no pricing. I will not know that until July when they the first 2008 models start shipping. I just negoitiated a flat percentage discount. By the time Mercedes dropped the May production when my 2007 model was suppose to be built, there was just not any R320's that had the equipment I wanted with heated front seats with Premium II package. The dealer looked at inventory almost 1,000 miles out from Memphis where I am located. (As a MBCA member, I am eligible for a $2000 rebate on 2007 models, so this cost me at least that much. I have rationalized that I will get that back when the day comes that I trade it in since it will be a model year newer.)
Congratulations and Exciting, isn't it? RClass with PP II is very rare, I agree. I was fortunate to end up with one. What seat configuration you chose (6 or 7)? While you still can add/change, you should consider bixenon headlamps (worth the money and a must have for any MB, leather trim), and leather trim (leather seats and interior ambient lightings). RSE for rear passenger? Was it a huge % discount? MB invoice is usually at 7% off from MSRP, that's your goal. Good luck and the new car will be here in no time. Aug/Sep is just around the corner.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:50 PM

R Driver:
I have the 6 seats ordered. I wanted to have the "buckets" in the middle. I have debated about the upgraded headlights. I know from reading the forums that the standard headlights have generated a few negative complaints. I would like to think that with the 2008 model, Mercedes will be addressing this since the front end is getting a mild refresh.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:53 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
R Driver:
I have the 6 seats ordered. I wanted to have the "buckets" in the middle. I have debated about the upgraded headlights. I know from reading the forums that the standard headlights have generated a few negative complaints. I would like to think that with the 2008 model, Mercedes will be addressing this since the front end is getting a mild refresh.

The 7-seater option leaves the bucket seats as they are...the actual 7th seat is just an insert between the two captains chairs of the 2nd row, thereby creating a three seat 2nd row.

As far as the front-end; Bi-Xenons don't change anything.
In 2008, the R-Class gets AMG styling on the Front and rear ends which also includes Chrome ringed foglamps - STANDARD

It also gets a one inch wheel upgrade to 18" Twin 5-spoke alloy wheels (from the '07 R500) STANDARD

It also gets two 19" wheel options.(including Blue Glass)
The R350 2WD gets three upgrade options (including the 20" AMG wheels!)
Old 06-26-2007, 12:10 AM

Cayman S
So, they are not offering the R550 as a 2wd version? Be nice to drop the 200lbs and pick up the 80 HP over the R500.

Paul
Old 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM

MY 2007 was the last year of V-8's for the R-Class.
MY 2008 will be V-6 only...

R350 4WD
R350 2WD
R320 CDI (42 State only)
Old 06-27-2007, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Incorrect, the 2008 R-Class will have the new V8 from the SL/CL/S/E/CLS etc, it will be the R550.

M
Old 06-28-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1
Incorrect, the 2008 R-Class will have the new V8 from the SL/CL/S/E/CLS etc, it will be the R550.

M
Not in the USA...

Check your source and bet him dinner.

No R550 or R63 is being built, or is going to be built for any U.S. dealer.
If you still doubt it, just try ordering a MY 2008 V-8 R-Class.

Happy shopping.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
Not in the USA...

Happy shopping.
Oh the R63 I can fully understand why, but not the R550. We'll see.

M
Old 06-29-2007, 06:50 PM

I'm Looking At The '08 R350

I AM JUST ABOUT TO PULL THE TRIGGER AND BUY THE '08 R350-I NEED HELP FIRST

--------------------------------------------------------------

My local dealer is trying to persuade me to order the 08 R-350 for a Fall delivery. From what I have read on some other forums this is quite common for Mercedes vehicles.

Here are my concerns and I hope you (or anyone else) can help me:

1. How can you order a vehicle for which you don't know the price?

2. Won't the dealer feel that he has you locked in and the negotiation of the deal will be very, very difficult now with respect to price?

3. How much deposit should you have to leave for this type of transaction?

4. Is the deposit refundable?

5. Do you know if there are any new exterior colors as choices for '08?

6. I am also getting mixed advice from MB dealers on this: I drive 25,000 miles per year, should I lease or buy? One dealer is telling me that I should just pre-purchase my miles upfront and still lease. Another is telling me that leasing is not an option for me because I drive too many miles. Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

7. Also, doesn't it cost more to insure a leased vehicle than one you own?

8. I am panicking since so many people seem upset that the car is built here in the US rather than Germany. So what does that mean exactly? Is it an American made car? Are all the parts flown in from Germany? Is it a mixture of parts?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:34 PM

R320 CDI
I pre-ordered an '08.

I put down a $500 deposit, and I had the dealer state in writing that the sale was contingent on a satisfactory price and that the deposit was refundable. All the deposit buys you is a top spot when the dealer starts to send in his orders to the factory. As far as I know, there are no additional colors available. I chose Barolo Red with Macadamia interior. I don't really know about the leasing side as I plan to buy.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by FL Diesel
I put down a $500 deposit, and I had the dealer state in writing that the sale was contingent on a satisfactory price and that the deposit was refundable. All the deposit buys you is a top spot when the dealer starts to send in his orders to the factory. As far as I know, there are no additional colors available. I chose Barolo Red with Macadamia interior. I don't really know about the leasing side as I plan to buy.

Where are you from? Florida? Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
Not in the USA...

Happy shopping.
I checked into it, and you're right. No R550 for the U.S. for 2008!!! I wonder why?

M
Old 07-11-2007, 04:00 PM

2007 R320
I checked into it, and you're right. No R550 for the U.S. for 2008!!! I wonder why?

M
- RClass is more of a people mover for family outings transporting kids and grannies, etc., so the V-8s (500 or 550) or R63 are non-demand for prospect owners/families who want an RClass for such purpose.

- RClass is less likely a choice for towing, people with such need will better consider the GL or other US truck choices (Tahoe, Yukon, etc.).

- R500s have been offered in the last 2 model years, '06 and '07, and sales/demands must have been very low. So it is understandable that MB dropped them.

- Gas price increases in the last 6 months must also kill the demand for such a gas guzzler.

Just my thoughts.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RDriver
- RClass is more of a people mover for family outings transporting kids and grannies, etc., so the V-8s (500 or 550) or R63 are non-demand for prospect owners/families who want an RClass for such purpose.

- RClass is less likely a choice for towing, people with such need will better consider the GL or other US truck choices (Tahoe, Yukon, etc.).

- R500s have been offered in the last 2 model years, '06 and '07, and sales/demands must have been very low. So it is understandable that MB dropped them.

- Gas price increases in the last 6 months must also kill the demand for such a gas guzzler.

Just my thoughts.
Sounds serviceable to me...lol! Seriously though these are likely the exact reasons why there will be no R550, I'm just surprised.

M
Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 PM

2007 R320
Sounds serviceable to me...lol! Seriously though these are likely the exact reasons why there will be no R550, I'm just surprised.

M
M - I'm glad you "easily" agreed to my points.

I see that you're surprised that there will no R550 / R500 next year, especially with all the hypes going on with the anxious announcement and waiting of the GL550. Look at the very active postings of GL550 on this board for '08. Guess it's more of a win-win for GL class to have the V8. The demand is there from buyers perspective. Good/larger profits margin for MB to load up the GL550 with P2 package as standard equipped cars.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RDriver
M - I'm glad you "easily" agreed to my points.

I see that you're surprised that there will no R550 / R500 next year, especially with all the hypes going on with the anxious announcement and waiting of the GL550. Look at the very active postings of GL550 on this board for '08. Guess it's more of a win-win for GL class to have the V8. The demand is there from buyers perspective. Good/larger profits margin for MB to load up the GL550 with P2 package as standard equipped cars.
I guess so. The poor R it just can't win.

M

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: R-Class Updates and Changes