R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

WHY BUY THE R-CLASS & THERE ARE DEALS TO BE MADE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R320
WHY BUY THE R-CLASS & THERE ARE DEALS TO BE MADE!

I am 49 yrs. old and have been feeling the wear and tear on my hands/joints for several years now. I had been driving a 2002 Toyota Van bought new for almost 7 years and truly did enjoy it. I kept the vehicle way longer than expected but I HATED the way the new vans put the gear shift on the dash. It hurts my wrists for hours and sometimes days putting my wrist in that position to shift gears. So, I just hung on to the older van and recently decided that I just could not bring myself to "do a van" again.

If I HAD to buy a van, because I still need to haul people, it was going to be an Odyssey this go around. I TRIED to like the cross-over vehicles, but they are too small to start with and I am not fond of the mini-SUV look. After a few glances, you can't tell the difference between a Saturn VUE, Lexus cross-over, Vera Cruz, or Murano. They all start looking alike in two blinks...and definitely alike with two drinks.

That being said, I did some serious research and found that the vehicle that most fit my needs (mentally and physically) and budget was the R-Class. It's unique and has some bells and whistles that I could afford. And boy, did I get some FANTASTIC numbers when I started working the dealerships.

I've perused this site and see some cursory numbers and not very helpful info. I want to help someone out there that is looking right now. I want to see the R-Class stick around awhile because there is a huge need for this vehicle. The marketing sucks and I feel MB needs to hire me! Let me tell you why you will love this vehicle and then I'll tell you the deals I worked.

You'll love this vehicle if you have "TWEENS". Those teens that are not licensed to drive alone, so you still have to haul them and their high school buddies one or two more years. These teens are too big and cool for a kiddie van. They've outgrown the 'soccer mom's van' and they, too, want to look grown up if they're still going to have to be chauffeured by Mom or Dad. Tweens love the R-Class's room and hauling ability in the cargo area. Musicians love this vehicle better than vans!

Why you'll love it! You'll love saving your wrists and joints by just having to tap with your finger the steering column wand to change gears. No having to reach forward and shift some knob on the dash in an awkward position and have your hand hurt for hours or days because you grabbed the gear shift knob wrong. No unnecessary carpal tunnel pressure to shift into reverse. Just tap the wand on the steering column.

You'll love the ParkTronic feature. It's an idiot proof system. Get too close to the wall or object and the lights and sounds definitely get your attention to help avoid vehicular damage.

My favorite feature of the Premium Package 01 is the automatic lift gate. OH, MY GOODNESS! No more unnatural, painful jerking of my wrists and thumbs to shut a back lift trunk door. Just press the key fob for about three seconds and the trunk will either open or close. It's just too perfect. If I had bought an Odyssey with this feature, I would have had to by a $40,000 Touring trim level which was about $5K more than the EXL with Nav & DVD. I wanted the electronic lift gate more than I wanted DVD/NAV and having a MB is a deal sealer when you actually compare bells and whistles, safety, style, warranty, and cost.

With the back seats folded flat, there is a huge amount of space for those trips to the warehouse clubs, like Sam's Club. TONS of room for hauling large packages, etc. I have a MB rubber hexagon mat that covers all of the cargo area when the back seats are down and it's WONDERFUL! I'm thinking of purchasing the other mats for the front and middle floors.

Now about price. I live in Jacksonville, FL, area. I was willing to travel up to 350 miles to pick up a vehicle. I had also decided that I was willing to buy Certified Pre Owned (CPO) because with MB, you will get a warranty up to one year after the original warranty expires (4 years, 50K miles) then add an additional 50,000 miles. So, keeping in mind of when the vehicle went into service, I kept excellent track of all vehicles available for sale in our area and surrounding areas. I checked several online sites for dealers, individuals, and even on eBay. Cars on eBay are 'leaders'. Call those dealers and work a phone deal.

I was shooting for a R-320 CDI, low miles, newest year. I really wanted to keep any purchase I made under $40,000. I know this sounds unbelievable, but I promise you, what I am about to write is the absolute truth. IF you want a deal on an R-Class, now is the time to make them. It's the end of the year and the '09's are coming out. Just keep yourself flexible.

On June 11, 2008, I went into our local MB dealer to test drive an R-350 and R-320 CDI. The salesman was from Europe and drove an R-Class, too. He "SOLD" me on buying diesel, so that was my preference. I was willing to buy the gas model R-350, but was not going to be impatient. I also looked at the price on the MSRP sticker and then the added dealer sticker. I read all of info about leasing and prices that was being promoted in the store. I believe the R-320 had a $55K + price tag. There was no way I was going to pay more than what I was willing to pay for an Odyssey Touring that had everything I wanted except for the style. So, price-wise, I was comparing dollar for dollar.

We never sat down to discuss numbers, because I was on a mission that day: test drive the new Sienna, Odyssey, and R-Class vehicles. R-Class won hands down and I began my search.

Bottom-line: when the local guy realized that I was actually a SERIOUS buyer AND serious about competing for the best price car; I seriously told him my WANTS. Do NOT expect to GET what you WANT unless you TELL someone. Tell God. Tell the salesman, but tell someone that can do something for you.

It came down to timing. The local guy couldn't get below $41,200 (NOT including tag, 6% tax + $50, and title) for a R-350 on Thursday, 24 June 08. I had found online from a Pensacola MB dealer, a 2008 R-320 CDI, w/ 11,300 miles, Premium Pkg 1, heated seats, IPOD, Voice, glass moon roof, -pano roof, 6 CD, Harmon/K stereo, for $45,500. I got them down to $38,900 and had them add the blue tooth cradle ($500 gizmo) and had them make it CPO/100K warranty for another $795. So, out the door $42,200 and some change. PLUS, they guaranteed me a price on my van, sight unseen, which made me very happy. I got the tax advantage and didn't have to sell my van myself.

Once I worked that deal, on Friday afternoon, 25 June 08, the local dealer called me back and said that he had worked a deal for a R-350 BRAND NEW, 0 miles, Premium Pkg 1, pano roof, center console, heated seats for $39,900 OUT THE DOOR! So that means that for a car that had a legitimate $52,000+ price tag, they were willing to drop it to at least $36,707. The dealer fees at this dealership are $549; add 6% +$50, and about $200 for tag and title. If you figured the tag, tax, and title on $52K, you'd be at about $55,919! So, literally saving you ABOUT $16,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My numbers are accurate and honest. I really wanted the R-320, so I went with the more expensive deal; however, the diesel engine costs about $1,000 more, plus buying the extended warranty ($795), and the module/cradle and phone gizmos make up the difference in price. And I am so pleased.

As for making the great deal on the R-350: I almost did it. We called the guy last Friday night after doing the math on whether the price difference on savings buying would offset the savings in gas mileage. Figuring we'd trade in a few years, I was going to go R-350. However, when I turned down the car in the afternoon, then thought better of it, he could not guarantee that the car would still be available. I HAD to know by the next morning, but no confirmation came. We were traveling to Pensacola to pick up my son and the R-320 if the call did not come in. And it did not.

On Monday, 28 June 08, I got a call from the local dealership saying that "our car would be there in a few hours".

So, if you're looking, tell your salesman what you wanted. The local guy was SHOCKED that we did not go for the $39,900 OUT THE DOOR PRICE, when I told him that I wanted a deal under $40K. He DID it. Unfortunately, not in time.

I hope some of this information helps you get the best deal out there that you can.

FWIW: I had two other great deals I was working along with these, but the trim levels and year model was not what I wanted, though they were very nice.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:09 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Thumbs up

Excellent post.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:53 AM

2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
Sure you don't work for MB Sheri? Very good post.

You're correct about the R-class marketing - it's almost non-existent.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Biggest thing to know when looking for an R-class IMHO is to avoid the gray interior because you won't be able to see out the windshield due to the massive reflection of the dash onto the windshied.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 PM

R350
Did you get the breakdown of HOW ON EARTH he was able to get to 40K on a 52k sticker car?
Old 07-03-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
I paid$ 41,200 for 2008 R350 before tax & tag (MSRP:$51,010 includes options). Odometer@70 Miles
Don't ask me how I got it (Poor sale= Big discount).

Last edited by AsianR350; 07-03-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:45 PM

R320
Red face

Originally Posted by Scottb4u
Did you get the breakdown of HOW ON EARTH he was able to get to 40K on a 52k sticker car?

No, I did not. I told him what I wanted, which was true...a deal under $40K....and he did come through. I had just found the R320, which does cost $1,000 more for the engine and it had the voice controller and they ordered the phone puck/cradle gizmo. We then added the additional year/50K mile warranty. So, yes, we did pay more, but we would have paid the same for a new R320, too. We gave the local guy the chance to do simliar numbers on a new (same package) 320, but he was stuck at $46K plus tag, tax, title, and dealer fee....so close to $50K, which was not what I was willing to do.

I figured that it was the end of the month and they were willing to let a car go to make the numbers or something. Because when I had last talked to him, before settling on the R320, he was fixiated on $41,200 plus tag, tax, title, and dealer fee for the 350. I was SHOCKED when he called the next afternoon with an OUT THE DOOR PRICE OF $39,900. We were really torn, too. I'm sure I would have been happy with either vehicle, but I cannot get over the power in this 320. I fell like I'm driving a V-8. Reminds me a bit of driving Lincoln Town Car I had about 10 years ago the pick-up is so smooth and powerful. It's hard to tell. But when I was leaving people in the dust, I had a new found respect for the car and gas pedal. I've never gunned a car or had a vehicle that had this much power, that I can remember.

Any who... For them to drop about $5K in price over night, totally unexpected was a huge surprise. I wish we did it, actually. I'm just hoping it all works out great and this is the car that is perfect for us. So far, it is.

I would love to see the sales guy get some business. He really did deserve a commission for 'selling' us on the R320 and diesel engines.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Great to see another happy R class owner! People dismiss the R too often and miss all the great things about it, my favorite thing about mine is the large amount of rear leg room for the first row..more than an S class! I too was looking at getting an R320 but after talking with a guy who owned one I decided it would end up costing me more in the long run than it would save me. I don't particularly like the Parktronic option myself, it gives too many false readings and theres no way to turn it off, it just turns itself back on everytime you start the car up again. Oh and if this is your first car with the auto tailgate a word to the wise..check whats behind your car before you hit the button. The gate goes up no matter what, so if there is a wall or car or tree behind it and you press the button...you get the idea..but its a great option.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:20 PM

R320
Question

Originally Posted by chilledbenz
I too was looking at getting an R320 but after talking with a guy who owned one I decided it would end up costing me more in the long run than it would save me.
Pray tell! What do you know that I should know?
Old 07-05-2008, 11:54 AM

R350
There seems to be deals to be made for BUYERS. But there are NO incentives for LEASING. Incentives are for buyers only. I cannot get a lease offer that comes anywhere near what my lease was in 2006...

MB does not want to lease this vehicle.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by Sheri
Pray tell! What do you know that I should know?
I'm not going to try and sway you either way, get what you truly want..theres nothing worse than getting something someone else talked you into and regret it every time you get in it to drive it...ha ha been there done that.

I was just informed of the extra cost of servicing a diesel engine (check with your service department) and to the fact that the 320 gas mileage is only 4 to 5 more miles per gallon than what the 350 gets in real world driving. With the cost of diesel being more than gasoline now I really didn't see getting 4 to 5 more miles on a tank saving me anything. I also only keep my cars 4 years or 50k miles which ever comes first because thats when the warranty expires. Some could say that if you were planning to keep it much longer the diesel engine would last longer than its gasoline counter part, but for me in my situation it wasn't a selling point.

By the way, the sales man you stated was from Europe...in Europe diesel costs less than gasoline, which could explain why he was so high on the 320, or they could be having a harder time selling the diesels with the higher price of fuel.

Might also want to keep in mind that if your really interested in getting a diesel the Bluetec Diesel engine becomes available for 2009 in the R class.

I will say this..I wish I would have gotten the R class a long time ago. I bought the ML in 2006 when it got redesigned because I had a previous ML and love it. I never even looked at the R class until this year when I was in the market for a new vehicle. I can't believe how much better the ride is in the R class compared to the ML and how much leg room there is for all the seats, plus I love the way it looks lol.

Last edited by chilledbenz; 07-05-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:17 AM

05 w463 G55, 08 W251 R500, 03 996 turbo
Originally Posted by AsianR350
I paid$ 41,200 for 2008 R350 before tax & tag (MSRP:$51,010 includes options). Odometer@70 Miles
Don't ask me how I got it (Poor sale= Big discount).
well there is $6k trunk money plus roughly the $3k over invoice, so right there, that is roughly $9k for a stock unit. so it depends on the options. I think that is about right.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 PM

2008 R350
Agree with original poster. I also picked up a R350 4Matic Alpine Rain metallic,P1 package, IPod integration & heated front seats for $41,300 from Oakland MB dealer in SF Bay.

Love the ride so far. Keeping my fingers crossed as I have read some folks complaining about the reliability of R class.

Last edited by stmifx; 07-08-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 AM

2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
By the way, the sales man you stated was from Europe...in Europe diesel costs less than gasoline
Don't you believe it.
UK Petrol Prices per litre for Tuesday 8th Jul 2008
Avg. Min. Max.
Unleaded: 119.4p 114.9p 129.9p
Diesel: 132.9p 127.9p 147.9p
LRP: 122.7p 117.9p 127.9p
Super: 126.3p 118.9p 139.9p
LPG: 59.9p 49.9p 64.9p

It now costs £93 to fill a tank of petrol, diesel will be £106. One reason I bought the R350 as it cost the same to buy and run 1 year ago, now it's cheaper.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 PM

Just purchased a R-Class 320 CDI last week - same deal!

I too was jumping from dealer to dealer gathering facts. There is currently a 6K MB dealer rebate (or was?) on the R-Class. My car listed for 53,300 from the factory (P1, Ipod, heated seats, moon roof, and a few extras). I got him down to 41,900 and was ready to sign the check when my other dealer called my cell and said that he'd match the 41,900 and throw in the Blue-tooth. Keep in mind that I'm at my local dealer with my check book in hand - The other dealer asked if there was anything he could do to get the deal. he asked if I had a car I was planning to sell and said that I had a 1999 VW Beetle TDI with 150K. He said he would call me back. Mean while, my local dealer said would it be alright if we make you an offer on your beetle. With-in 20 minutes they offered my 5K for the Beetle (fairly banged up but still got 50MPG)

Final Deal 41,900 - 5,000 for trade-in = 36,900 plus taxes and tags for a new 2008 320 CDI with 62 miles.

Since my car had no Navigation, I asked a friend of mine who is a MB mechanic at our local dealer what parts I needed to add NAV to my Command System. He said all I need is the DVD drive (holds the GPS processor) and the GPS antenna splitter cable 79.00, I found several R-class command systems with NAV between 350 - 500.00 on ebay. I bought a R-Class 2007 Command with Nav for 475.00. I plan to remove the DVD drive and resell the remaining parts back on ebay. I'll also need a NAV disc but there are tons on ebay for under 50.00.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
These kind of prices have completely killed my resale. MSRP on my2006 R500 was 68K. Granted, I didn't pay that but I'm sure trade in is in the 20's now.

Makes me sick.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
These kind of prices have completely killed my resale. MSRP on my2006 R500 was 68K. Granted, I didn't pay that but I'm sure trade in is in the 20's now.

Makes me sick.
Well, the price I got my R500 for will make you puke even more. $35K, fully loaded, chrome package, all the stuff you see on my sig. The chrome 20's came on the car. I got it with only 11K miles on it. IMO, the R350 did not have enough punch for me. My wife was very happy that I persuaded her to get the 500 over the 350.

I am happy though on your purchase Sheri! Go R go!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:30 PM

R350
New Lease deal

Just picked up a new R350. Turned in my 2006 with 3 months left on a pull ahead program.

56k msrp--P2, heated front, 6 CD, Ipod, 7 seat.
46k selling price
53% residual
.00013 money factor
first month plus fees up front.
33 mths--15k miles.
Less than $545 mth WITH 7.5% tax

Almost the same lease as my 2006...Very, very happy with the car and the deal...
Old 07-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama

Makes me sick.
Auction numbers on your vehicle are still above $30K. I'll bet you can work a great trade on an '08 RClass in the DC area , too.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:13 PM

R350
And BTW--I turned in a 2006 Saks Edition R350. My buyout price at lease-end was $45k. They offered me the car at $29700 + tax--a $15300 discount!
Old 07-12-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 GLK350 & S63, 2020 C63 & G63 and 2021 GLC63
I got fully loaded NEW 2007 R500 for $47K plus taxes. ($63K MSRP). Simply love it, very sporty and no rollover feeling. MB marketing for R-class sucks. I am sad that they have stopped V8's on R. I will have to keep this for a while.
If you are in CA, you can buy the last new R500 in MB Riverside. They have listed it for $44K - don't know the options on it.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S65
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Well, the price I got my R500 for will make you puke even more. $35K, fully loaded, chrome package, all the stuff you see on my sig. The chrome 20's came on the car. I got it with only 11K miles on it. IMO, the R350 did not have enough punch for me. My wife was very happy that I persuaded her to get the 500 over the 350.

I am happy though on your purchase Sheri! Go R go!
This is a sick deal...how did you get it...?
Old 08-04-2008, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by nanoera
This is a sick deal...how did you get it...?
Easy:

1. Ebay!
2. Bought from a independent dealer, they sell only higher end cars.
3. Got it inspected at MB in Chicago, dealer even took it over and had a new battery put in. Due to the battery was having a charge issue.
4. I haggled on the price, price was $35,900 but it now. I said..not sure...the guy wanted a sale, and this was during the end of Feb, which was snowed up and slow for them on sales. So I got him to knock off $900, and they put the clear bra kit on for $500. We flew up to Chicago, picked it up, and got the inspection ok from an SA at the MB dealership. Drove it back to Atl. You can check this dealer out at luckymotors.com. They even had brand new Toyo's on the R!

Another note:

They had a Quattroporte at huge markdown at the time (can't remember price), the guy who bought it came in about an hour after we were there. The funny part was that the car was in a huge bubble to prevent any scratches, touches, etc. I had never seen that before.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S65
Thanks for write-up

I too found mine trhough ebay.
I chose not to travel too far therefore picked an independent seller within 150 miles.
Would love to see a picture of bubbled Maseratti.

Last edited by nanoera; 08-04-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Guys... been looking for an R350 also.... could you give any comments to the following thread?

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...86#post2990386

Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WHY BUY THE R-CLASS & THERE ARE DEALS TO BE MADE!