R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Looking to buy R350, but confused?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my 2016 gl350
Looking to buy R350, but confused?

HI all, we are looking to buy a 2006 R350. We found one and negotiated a $25K it has 37K MI, but it is fully loaded, see attached pictures. I have no idea what all these buttons are. Can some one tell me from the picture what are those features and what do they do? what is the black button (see photo #3) next to the headlight switch? why does the headlight switch has three marks on its left side most R350 has only 2marks? Why are there vents under the 3rd raw seats, most othe R350 do not have that?
and finally is this a good price?
not shown in the pictures are memory seats, electric lift gate button, folded mirrors, black exterior with silver rim around the widows, and head light cleaning feature!

we are supposed to pick it up this weekend. I am having a cold feet, my friends are saying that the prices will go down starting January. I need a push to go for it. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy R350, but confused?-one.jpg   Looking to buy R350, but confused?-photo-2.jpg   Looking to buy R350, but confused?-photo-3.jpg   Looking to buy R350, but confused?-photo-5.jpg   Looking to buy R350, but confused?-photo-6.jpg  

Looking to buy R350, but confused?-photo-7.jpg  

Last edited by Zeyad Alkaisi; 11-21-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: more questions
Old 11-22-2008, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
it sounds like pretty loaded, but depending on what region you're in, perhaps you can get better prices in 2 months. i've been looking at 06 R500's and my friend's been going to MB auctions and saying no problem getting it for less than $25k. if R500's below $25k, then even a fully loaded R350 should be $22-23k, imho. that said, i think you need to look at what color it is. i think red and tan are the least desirable. also, i think black is not very popular for buyers. for me, black doesn't make sense because it's too difficult to keep clean and there's too many finger smudges. further, having kids in/out of a black car is also quite a challenge. my $.02.
good luck.
PL
Old 11-22-2008, 03:07 AM

R350 4-matic
Originally Posted by yasminzeyad
HI all, we are looking to buy a 2006 R350. We found one and negotiated a $25K it has 37K MI, but it is fully loaded, see attached pictures. I have no idea what all these buttons are. Can some one tell me from the picture what are those features and what do they do? what is the black button (see photo #3) next to the headlight switch? why does the headlight switch has three marks on its left side most R350 has only 2marks? Why are there vents under the 3rd raw seats, most othe R350 do not have that?
not shown in the pictures are memory seats, electric lift gate button, folded mirrors, black exterior with silver rim around the widows, and head light cleaning feature!

we are supposed to pick it up this weekend. I am having a cold feet, my friends are saying that the prices will go down starting January. I need a push to go for it. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

$25k is an okay price. You will MAYBE be able to get one for a few K less in a few months, but I don't know if it will be loaded like this one.

As for your questions, well here goes:

The button next to the headlight switch is the front light washer switch.

There are three lighting positions on the left hand side b/c you have front fog lights (in addition to your STD euro rear driver side fog light).

There are vents under the 3rd row, b/c you have 3-zone climate control.

You know what, after thinking more about it, nah it's not a good price. Just tell me where it is, what dealership and name it's under and I'll save you from making this mistake.

Seriously, the only thing your missing is DVD headrests, but you have the center column DVD, so your still good. I think it's a good deal, especially if it's CPO. If not, well then it's still an okay deal, but get the extended warranty.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:11 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
Question Still confused, now R350 vs R500

Thank you for your reply,
I got a quote for extended warranty, bumper to bumper (no list) up to 125K mi for 7 years for $3K. do you think the MB extended warranty be less $?

As far as the R500, which was mentioned in one of the above reply, I loved the R500 it comes loaded may be for less or the same price of a R350. but, the gas is a problem. I am not sure how much of a diffidence between the 350 and 500 in mile per gallon. is it a big difference? if I am planning to put no more than 10K mi per year, should I go for R500 or just go ahead with my original R350?
let me know.

Last edited by Zeyad Alkaisi; 11-22-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:46 AM

R350 4-matic
The MB warranty goes to 100k miles and is roughly $2500.

As far as 500 vs. 350, if you live in a "tight" city (ex. NY/LA) or if you're not hauling things or live in a hilly area the 350 will be fine.

However, if you want to feel some real power now and again, the 500 is the real deal. But again the gas is the problem, you pay for horsepower. On the highway there is not much difference at all, but city...wow!

Either one is a good choice. It's up to you what you want to pay in upkeep and fuel.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4matic, 2015 Porsche Macan S, 2006 R500 (sold)

Car always depreciated, so price will always go down. Important is get the one you really want. $25K is not bad at all if it is accident free. Btw, members here will tell you the auction is really cheap and your price is horrible. But the problem is most buyers don't know any dealers and even if you know one, you will still need to pay about $2K-3k dealer/transportation fees on top of the auction price.

Based on your description, yours is pretty much as loaded (trim package with full leather (exterier chrome surrounding the doors and dark wood), heated seats, comfort package (memory seats and auto mirrors), airmatic suspension (sport/comfort button on the dash), dvd player, 3 zone climate control (3rd row vent), distance alarm, preimum package (I assume it comes with navigation and auto tailgate), lighting package (xenon and fog lights) and wood steerling wheel) as I have seen on a R350 (original MSRP should be around $67K or more). If a fully loaded R-class is what you are looking for, this is the one. Good and desireable color combination too.

Regarding R500, I have one and it is definitely night and day compared to R350 on torque. The gas mileage is about 3mpg different. The cost really doesn't mean much anymore and I am surprised people are still talking about gas mileage when the gas is less than 1.70gal here.

Good luck

Last edited by supernsx; 11-23-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:16 AM

2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
I'd look for an R500 as there are times my 350 just doesn't have the power.
And a reversing camera and parking sensors are a must! They must be a nightmare without them.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:59 PM

I look at the first picture again and it looks like this R comes with the Offroad program with the DSR "Downhill Speed Regulation " option.

I has been looking at R-class for two plus years and I honestly don't even know this option is available for the R-class until I see this one. i thought it is only for GL and ML. Wow.

Last edited by supernsx; 11-24-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:56 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
Unhappy how important is thOffroad program & the DSR "Downhill Speed Regulation " options?

Originally Posted by supernsx
I look at the first picture again and it looks like this R comes with the Offroad program with the DSR "Downhill Speed Regulation " option.

I has been looking at R-class for two plus years and I honestly don't even know this option is available for the R-class until I see this one. i thought it is only for GL and ML. Wow.

You know, I have been searching all of the R-class vehicles on the net for the last few days. I have not seen a single R-class with these features! However, after investigating these features, I came to realize that I will not ever need to use them.

Do you think that having these features might increase the resale value of this particular car later on? and how do you think this package costs?
please let me know, I am still confused.

Last edited by Zeyad Alkaisi; 11-28-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 AM

You know, I have been searching all of the R-class vehicles on the net for the last few days. I have not seen a single R-class with these features! However, after investigating these features, I came to realize that I will not ever need to use them.

Do you think that having these features might increase the resale value of this particular car later on? and how do you think this package costs?
please let me know, I am still confused.
Personally, if you run into a potential buyer that HAVE to have this feature, you may be able to ask for more resale money. However, I am unsure how many people really needs it.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:54 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
Smile Thank you all

Personally, if you run into a potential buyer that HAVE to have this feature, you may be able to ask for more resale money. However, I am unsure how many people really needs it.
Supernsx, you have been really super in answering my questions. Thank you sooooo much.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
So did you take it? You've got a very loaded one my friend...

The button on the right of headlight switch is headlight washer... and this also means you've got lighting package (= bixenon ) which is very rare option in R class.

The 3 marks, I think, are because it has fog lights.

The A/C switch means you have tri-zone A/C (rear has its own temp setting).

Buttons under A/C switch (from left to right):
- Heated seat
- Air suspension - shock absorber level (very rare for 350)
- ESP
- the two buttons supernsx has explained
- Ride height (comes w/ Airmatic)
- Parktronic
- Heated seat

If this car has AMG package (bumper, wheels & side skirt), it has all options available.

If it's in Norcal and you don't take it, I may be interested

What color is it?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:59 AM

r350
Similar recent purchase

[quote=yasminzeyad;3181324]HI all, we are looking to buy a 2006 R350. We found one and negotiated a $25K it has 37K MI, but it is fully loaded, see attached pictures. I have no idea what all these buttons are. Can some one tell me from the picture what are those features and what do they do? what is the black button (see photo #3) next to the headlight switch? why does the headlight switch has three marks on its left side most R350 has only 2marks? Why are there vents under the 3rd raw seats, most othe R350 do not have that?

we are supposed to pick it up this weekend. I am having a cold feet, my friends are saying that the prices will go down starting January. I need a push to go for it. I am looking forward to hearing from you.[

I just purchased at 2006 CPO Silver/Black R350 (44K) for $21,500 (I added an extra year of warranty for +$1,500 ($23,000 total), you should ABSOLUTELY ONLY GET A CPO CAR) you get the 100K coverage so mileage is not an issue; mine originally stickered for $55.5K (you can get the original sticker from the dealer - ask); MB USA props up the CPO prices to 20-20% above ebay non-CPO, but that will be breaking soon, mine (as the dealer said) was "one of the newest lease turn-in's in the new economy" where they bought it from MB USA for ($17-$18K) and sell for $21K, vs. buying for $21K and selling for $25K as they were 3 months ago. I just need to add foglights and it will be perfect. Remember you can buy your MB CPO from any dealer, and can use the local dealer for all service no problem, the service dept's income statement is separate from sales, so MB Greenwich (my local dealer) has no problem fulfilling problems no matter where you got the car.

Hope this helps, the CPO R series are absolutely the best bang for the buck going, I looked at the M350/500, but for $8K more and smaller, it didn't make sense.

Cheers.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:10 AM
ste

2005 MINI Cooper S Conv, 2006 R350
$1500 for an extra year sounds a lot for me. We have a C240, and I think I will like more power, so I am looking at a 2007 R500 on ebay, seller wanted 29900, and rejected my 26900 offer, but relist as 28900. but it has 29k miles on it. I am not sure if this 2007 is better than lower milage 2006. it had MSRP of $70k. I am not sure what price i shall offer again, thinking of $26.5K, is it a good deal? also how do i buy the MB warrenty if i get the car from ebay?
link to ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 12-25-2008, 10:11 AM
ste

typo, it has 39K miles.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Almost a Member!

CLS55, R350
Originally Posted by Scotsman
I'd look for an R500 as there are times my 350 just doesn't have the power.
And a reversing camera and parking sensors are a must! They must be a nightmare without them.
I got mine back in March of 07 (its a 07) and I was so busy negotiating the deal that I TOTALLY forgot about parking sensors!

That is the only thing that I really miss on these cars.

We don't tow or haul much more than our 2 small children so the power is fine.

OP- I have NEVER seen a R350 with no dash blanks! NICE Find.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 PM
ste

Just won a R350 from Ebay, for less than 21.7K. It has 27K miles, and some good options, MSRP 58K. no pakring sensors, navi. Well, I was looking at R500s most of the time, there is just no so many of them out there. and my accidental bit on this R350 just won me a car I am not 100% sure is a good deal. here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260339226549
Old 01-05-2009, 11:01 PM

2006 R350

When I look at this picture and compare to my 2006 R350 and owner's manual, the buttons layout are different. There is no DSR option in owner manual (at least not in mine). Maybe there is different version of R350 in US??
Old 01-07-2009, 01:38 AM

R350
The only MB with that exact layout that I have ever seen in the US is a GL-class. However, I see the same layout on Asian market R350... Perhaps, this car was built to export, but ended up sold in the US?

Here is GL-Class: http://www.rabauto.com/vehicles/3748...s/3748-013.jpg

Originally Posted by R350@LA
When I look at this picture and compare to my 2006 R350 and owner's manual, the buttons layout are different. There is no DSR option in owner manual (at least not in mine). Maybe there is different version of R350 in US??
Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 AM

r350
r350 bumper to bumper warranty?

Where did you get the For 0 deductible on warranty direct I saw upt 10 100k price: $5k. Did you buy the vechicle finally and warranty? I am in the market for r350 any info will be helpful. Thx

Thank you for your reply,
I got a quote for extended warranty, bumper to bumper (no list) up to 125K mi for 7 years for $3K. do you think the MB extended warranty be less $?

As far as the R500, which was mentioned in one of the above reply, I loved the R500 it comes loaded may be for less or the same price of a R350. but, the gas is a problem. I am not sure how much of a diffidence between the 350 and 500 in mile per gallon. is it a big difference? if I am planning to put no more than 10K mi per year, should I go for R500 or just go ahead with my original R350?
let me know.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:43 AM

R350
If you buy CPO, the warranty period is up to 5 years from the first date of service of the vehicle. For example, if a R350 was in service on 06/16/2006. The CPO warranty is up to 06/16/2011. Also, the milage warranty goes up from original 50,000 to 100,000.

MB usually offer additional 2 years for around $2-3k. There are many different ones that different dealer may offer. Fully refundable.

So, my R350, at $26k, which is in "new" car condition has warranty up to 2013 and 100,000 miles. I really can't find a reason to buy any other car at similar price that beats MB's CPO warranty and extended warranty.

Originally Posted by pbhat
Where did you get the For 0 deductible on warranty direct I saw upt 10 100k price: $5k. Did you buy the vechicle finally and warranty? I am in the market for r350 any info will be helpful. Thx
Old 02-22-2009, 10:48 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
Just an update: we finally got a car. an R350 from millennium MB in Bridge Water, N.J.
our car came with Panoramic roof, air suspension, rear DVD, memory heated front seats, parktronic, headlight cleaning, wood steering, power lift gate, folding mirrors, Bi-xenon, cornering front fog lights, navigation, 6 CD, rain sensors+ an additional year of warranty (cpo). You also can open/close all windows remotely at distance. rear quarter windows open electronically. I had to have all of these features, but it was very hard to get them all in an R 350. I was lucky that I got a good color (silver on black). However, i had to sacrifice the 18" wheels, rear heated seat and accept a 42K Mi on the car. our cost complete out the door was $27,500 (tx included).
Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy R350, but confused?-1-1-09-r350-013.jpg   Looking to buy R350, but confused?-1-1-09-r350-022.jpg   Looking to buy R350, but confused?-1-1-09-r350-030.jpg   Looking to buy R350, but confused?-1-1-09-r350-007.jpg   Looking to buy R350, but confused?-1-1-09-r350-024.jpg  

Last edited by Zeyad Alkaisi; 02-22-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 02-22-2009, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
congrats on the purchase, and i agree w/ how difficult it is to find fully loaded R's, especially CPO and at a reasonable price...and you got a great color.
also, i can't speak for the 42k miles(since i bought my 2006 w/ 41k), but i can tell you that you're not missing anything w/ rear heated seats as we often have booster seats sitting on them so it doesn't even matter. as for wheels, you can always upgrade for $1k but i'm guessing the 17" may be fore comfortable than the 18"?
most importantly, i think you got a big winner w/ all the full options. i particularly like our parktronic, bi-xenon, keyless-go, panoramic, and power gate. enjoy.
Patrick
Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Congrats on your purchase. I have a 2006 R500 with all the features you mentioned except I dont have the parktronic but have the 18 inch wheels and I absolutely love it. Mine is similar, pewter with black leather interior. The keyless-go is a great feature - very convenient, I have gotten used to it so much that every time I get in my other vehicle I catch myself sitting there looking for the button to start the car...

Once again, enjoy!