R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Why does MB not market the R?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R
Why does MB not market the R?

I had my R for a couple days. I love it. The car is a rocket, it handles like a sedan with decent passenger and storage space, nice amenitities.

I just think a minimal marketing campaign would propel sales of the R - well once the economy turns around.

thoughts???
Old 02-20-2009, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Conventional marketing wisdom is to market to the biggest segment of your market based on the market's perceptions.

That means marketing against the Honda Oddysey, and that's a loser.

There's no question MB considers the R a "Grand Sport Tourer," and has designed and tuned it accordingly, but America nevertheless thinks it's a soccer mom minivan.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Most americans did not test drive the Rs to appreciate the Rs and when they look at the MSRP price, it scares them away.(Most soccer moms can not afford to own Mercedes)

If they know that they can get 10K - 15K off the list price, they will get the R in the heartbeat.
Honda is economy brand and the Mercedes R class is premium brand which drives like Mercedes (handling, luxury & safety).

Most Asians love Mercedes not Honda.They are willing to pay higher price to get luxury not economy brand like Honda.

See this post:
https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w...900-r350l.html

Last edited by AsianR350; 02-20-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:59 PM

R
Originally Posted by lkchris
Conventional marketing wisdom is to market to the biggest segment of your market based on the market's perceptions.

There's no question MB considers the R a "Grand Sport Tourer," and has designed and tuned it accordingly, but America nevertheless thinks it's a soccer mom minivan.

to me that is like Augusta National writing its marketing plan to compete against a local muni course - no comparison.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
They didn't market it to begin with because there was no competition in its class. The R class is a luxury touring "mini van" for a lack of a better describing word (for the record I refer to it as a wagon). Up until this year the offerings from other premium brands were few and far between. Now it appears BMW will offer a similar concept to work with its current X6.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/20...an-Turismo.htm

The X6 and this Concept 5 vehicle are not exact replicas of an R class, but you can see there is quite the similarities between the three of them. Add to that the sudden burst of other similar cars from Toyota, Ford, Chevy and even Honda appears to be getting into the mix with an Accord based concept. The later examples aren't luxury brands and won't compete head to head with the R, but you can see that for the next R class they will have to do some serious marketing.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:43 AM

R350
I just came back from China. MB market R aggresively in China. I saw a commercial like every 30 minutes, maybe more often.

In the US, I think people are more into utility of a car, rather than the luxury part of it. Just look at the Honda and toyota minivans... Most are lower end models. Rarely, you see a fully loaded Odyssey or Sienna. If take this into account, there's still about $20,000 difference even with $15,000 off on R.

Besides, those 2 minivans wins big in cargo space and accessibility. I have both Odyssey and Sienna. For Odyssey, you can carry 8 people and still have enough cargo space for 8 people.

My question are... Why MB not bring those "real" MB minivans here from Europe. Why Lexus does not offer a "Lexus" minivan either here in the US. Or BMW and etc. I think the answer is simple... Marketing research showing that rarely, people spend that much money on a minivan, luxury brand or none luxury brand! That's why MB not market R as minivan... It's actually a SUV according to MB.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:26 AM

MB R350 4Matic, Audi A4

Here we are again with your 'expert' opinion regarding the 'market'. In my area the no.1 soccer mom 'minivan' is the GL. It used to be the R.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 AM

R
Originally Posted by R3504V
Here we are again with your 'expert' opinion regarding the 'market'. In my area the no.1 soccer mom 'minivan' is the GL. It used to be the R.
The top soccer mom cars in my area are the Suburban (or its cousins, Yukon, Escalade) followed by the MB GL or M, Volvo x-90.

I guess I thought anyone looking at a Honda or Toyota min van would not even think about a MB or BMW.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S65
GL has pitiful third row seat, but a bit more cargo room than R.
I don't think regular soccer mom will want to spend an effort figuring out how to arrange the grocery in the trunk, needless to say climbing up to load/unload their grocery into a roof box.

I think it's something between a minivan and a VW EuroVan. You have ample seats for 5 adults, acceptable third row seats for 2 adults, but not enough space left in the trunk for gozilla-size fancy stroller or sports gears.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:22 PM

MB R350 4Matic, Audi A4
Originally Posted by nanoera
GL has pitiful third row seat, but a bit more cargo room than R.
I don't think regular soccer mom will want to spend an effort figuring out how to arrange the grocery in the trunk, needless to say climbing up to load/unload their grocery into a roof box.

I think it's something between a minivan and a VW EuroVan. You have ample seats for 5 adults, acceptable third row seats for 2 adults, but not enough space left in the trunk for gozilla-size fancy stroller or sports gears.
It's a crossover between an SUV and a wagon. That's why it can never be marketed nor was it ever marketed as a minivan. It doesn't even look like a minivan. It's profile looks more like the Q7.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:40 PM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by R3504V
haha at the comment towards ikchris and his "expert" opinion
Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by vinceching
haha at the comment towards ikchris and his "expert" opinion
What's your expert opinion that R-class production is now at only 200-300 per month? Are you able to contribute?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Why R class doesn't sell so well.

What's your expert opinion that R-class production is now at only 200-300 per month? Are you able to contribute?
The R-Class is the best vehicle built on that platform (M and GL). With the lower center of gravity it handles much better than either the M-Class or GL-Class. However, it is visually different than a traditional SUV so it doesn't sell.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:59 PM

MB R350 4Matic, Audi A4
Originally Posted by AsianR350
The R-Class is the best vehicle built on that platform (M and GL). With the lower center of gravity it handles much better than either the M-Class or GL-Class. However, it is visually different than a traditional SUV so it doesn't sell.
Totally agree! The R class is built for people who wanted the versatility of an SUV (all wheel drive + cargo room) but hated the SUV's truck-like handling and that you need a ladder to get it.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:54 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
Talking

Originally Posted by tfm819
I had my R for a couple days. I love it. The car is a rocket, it handles like a sedan with decent passenger and storage space, nice amenitities.

I just think a minimal marketing campaign would propel sales of the R - well once the economy turns around.

thoughts???
I am glad that the R is not marketed. I want to be the only one driving this jewel in town. Driving the R comes with a special experience, which is you do not find too many of them on the street, you feel unique.
do you agree?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 AM

2007 R-500

I wish I could video some of my short road trips. We went to Charlottesville, VA from Woodbridge, VA on Saturday using US Rt 29. It is a moderately curvy and hilly 4-lane divided highway. Once past Gainesville, the traffic opens up and you can travel at a decent speed. I tend to use the right lane except to pass so I am frequently maneuvering among those who line up behind each other in the left lane waiting for --- what, I don't know. The lead car rarely moves to the right lane after overtaking. I use the 305 horses +torque to accelerate past the queue, ease in front of the lead car and back to the right. The R is designed to run like that. I'm running Michelin Latitude HP Alpin's (V-rated) for this time of year.

The other good news - I came upon a VA Trooper who had set up at the end of a curve near the top of a hill. I was moving back into the right lane when I saw him and was maintaining a steady 75+ (the posted limit is 55). He let me go by without pulling me over! I eased off the gas but didn't tromp the brake pedal. I've always believed that doing the latter clearly indicates that you know you're speeding and are slowing to avoid being stopped. By "easing" by, I try to project that I'm just an old man not paying close attention to his speed and not trying to avoid getting a ticket by acknowledging that he's just stepped in doodoo when he sees the cop in the copse.

I'll have 50 years' driving experience this May or June (I starrted when I was 12). I used to average 2 tickets per year for reckless until I got married to a woman who's never had a ticket. Many good things about her rubbed off on me, including much lower insurance premiums.

Safe and happy driving to you all!

JR