R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Looking for a R350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw 330ci
Looking for a R350

We are starting to look for a R350 (For the wife) due to a family addition and the Coupe is not cutting it.
I read thru all the postings in this forum and still have many questions. We can only spend 20-25K OTD, so a 2006 might be in our price range.
Options we would really like to have
1. Memory seats.
2. Integrated Bluetooth for phone.
3. Xeon headlamps.
4. CPO.
5. Dark/Black interior.

Were the above options in 2006 part of a package or were they standard.

Is there a link to 2006 R350 brochure online somewhere. Does anyone have an electronic version of the owner’s manual? I did download the 2009 brochure but the options might be different now.
Is the MB-Tex cloth or is it some kind of synthetic material?
How many keys are included? 2 remote + 1 valet key.
From what I read if we buy CPO now (CPO extends warranty by a yr, and up to 100k miles), we can buy the extended warranty at a later time, and add on 2 more years.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:21 PM

R350
I think you'll want to look for a 06/07 R350 with P2 or P3 option. For bluetooth to be added, you can buy the MHI Bluetooth module but you must be sure there is a little nub thingy in the center arm rest. Here's a pic
http://www.scmotorsebay.com/155007MBZML500/155.jpg

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:41 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
Originally Posted by nightmareMke
We are starting to look for a R350 (For the wife) due to a family addition and the Coupe is not cutting it.
I read thru all the postings in this forum and still have many questions. We can only spend 20-25K OTD, so a 2006 might be in our price range.
1. Memory seats.
3. Xeon headlamps.
4. CPO.
5. Dark/Black interior.

Were the above options in 2006 part of a package or were they standard.

OK I'll help and be on the lookout. But, where are you located?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
1. Memory seats.
3. Xeon headlamps.
4. CPO.
5. Dark/Black interior.

Are you sure you do not want parktronic. it is a must for this big vehicle.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:55 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
Try this one. Let me know if you like it!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9717&viewitem=
Old 02-27-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
It's all about the options..

If I had to buy one again - here is what I'd do:

Phone bluetooth - Nice but not required. Carry a cell phone.
Xenons - Harder to find on the R350. Advantage are the fogs that come with, - Nice but not required.
Pano-Roof - Required - part of original design.
Heated Seats - If you have snow - I'd trade these for my existing NAV any day - carry a GPS and don't insist on NAV. Only useful if you travel to destinations within large cities and on longer highway trips.
Airmatic - Nice but not required. It has auto-leveling suspension in rear anyway. Less to fix later on. Cool when car hunkers down at highway speeds.
Parktronic-I frequently refer to it when parking. Nearly a must.
Remote Hatch - Actually probably very useful if I had it - I seem to be always opening the door manually to put stuff in the back (kids and hockey you know).
MB -Tex fabric - Should wear as well as the leather which came standard as front seat inserts in the 2006 R350s. Leather is more common in the USA - and was a very expensive option for all seats - and came with ambient lighting internally. The standard interior lighting is very good anyway. Leather does feel much nicer. Rarer stlil are the motorized thigh supports with the key-pod low and to the right.
Harmon Kardon - Nice to have with subwoofer in rear - but not required. Adds buttons and jacks to the rear of front console for rear passengers. Adds 6 CD changer in glovebox.
Keyless Go - Cool but no required.
Rear CLimate control - Nice to have but don't miss it - adds a temp dial complement on the rear of the front console for your rear passengers - where the rear heated seat buttons also are if you have heated seats.
18" wheels - 5 twin spokes or multi-finned. Standard on R-500 / Optional on R-350. Industry standard today - and the new R's have 19s. If you love the look of the car - these are nearly required. (Per prototype design again). Only significant difference is the lug nuts are different length between 17 and 18, and appearance.
Mid-Center Console - Really nice to have to enhnace the executive jet design but may interfere with total seat fold down - necessitating snap out removal for flat deck. I frequently fold all my seats down (ie. when I hauled back my 17" wheels from the dealer after they installed MB-18s for me) - or when carrying drywall (just joking).
DVD headrests - avoid aftermarket installs - rare as hens teeth from the factory and an expensive option - but worthwhile if it "comes with."
Rarer still: Adaptive cruise - as indicated by the Big Star in the Grill with solid black fill instead of mesh venting.
Color - Has anyone ever seen a periclase green R? Not me. You might try the cubanite, the iridium silver, and the lazurite blue, the capri blue, or the barolo red. These are my favorites. Some think the black is hearse-like. White is - well - white, which may work for those trying to send a message.

Last edited by rosswell; 02-28-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: TO Clarify and add.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S65
+1 Rosswell! Very thorough explanation.

If I could do it all over, here's the must:
1. For safety: parktronic, xenon (for vanity too!)
2. For convenience: navigation (very clear guidance in cluster LCD), bluetooth, airmatic, 7-seat, black interior.
3. For vanity: pano roof, xenon (again!), 18"+ wheels.
4. For mileage: R320 CDI (R350 will still do).

The standard leather to me feels like plastic leatherette. Pretty stiff but easy to clean.

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2009, 10:18 AM

bmw 330ci
Originally Posted by yasminzeyad
Try this one. Let me know if you like it!
yasminzeyad , I am in Milwaukee, so anywhere within 200 miles is fine. Parking spots are generally big here even in the city, so that Parktronic thing is not a necessity, but good to have especially when we go out of town.

looks good, but has many more options than I am looking for. I would like to drive and check out the car before buying. CO is a bit far off to do that.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 AM

bmw 330ci
Originally Posted by rickpo
I think you'll want to look for a 06/07 R350 with P2 or P3 option. For bluetooth to be added, you can buy the MHI Bluetooth module but you must be sure there is a little nub thingy in the center arm rest. Here's a pic
http://www.scmotorsebay.com/155007MBZML500/155.jpg

Good luck.
Rickpo, is this thing included only in P2 or P3 option or is part of most 2006 R350’s
Seems like Bluetooth can be added later as long as there is a nub thing is in the center arm rest. I have done this along with a few others DIY things on my BMW before, so might not be a big deal.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:25 AM

bmw 330ci
Originally Posted by rosswell
If I had to buy one again - here is what I'd do:

Phone bluetooth - Nice but not required. Carry a cell phone.
Xenons - Harder to find on the R350. Advantage are the fogs that come with, - Nice but not required.
Pano-Roof - Required - part of original design.
Heated Seats - If you have snow - I'd trade these for my existing NAV any day - carry a GPS and don't insist on NAV. Only useful if you travel to destinations within large cities and on longer highway trips.
Airmatic - Nice but not required. It has auto-leveling suspension in rear anyway. Less to fix later on. Cool when car hunkers down at highway speeds.
Parktronic-I frequently refer to it when parking. Nearly a must.
Remote Hatch - Actually probably very useful if I had it - I seem to be always opening the door manually to put stuff in the back (kids and hockey you know).
MB -Tex fabric - Should wear as well as the leather which came standard as front seat inserts in the 2006 R350s. Leather is more common in the USA - and was a very expensive option for all seats - and came with ambient lighting internally. The standard interior lighting is very good anyway. Leather does feel much nicer. Rarer stlil are the motorized thigh supports with the key-pod low and to the right.
Harmon Kardon - Nice to have with subwoofer in rear - but not required. Adds buttons and jacks to the rear of front console for rear passengers. Adds 6 CD changer in glovebox.
Keyless Go - Cool but no required.
Rear CLimate control - Nice to have but don't miss it - adds a temp dial complement on the rear of the front console for your rear passengers - where the rear heated seat buttons also are if you have heated seats.
18" wheels - 5 twin spokes or multi-finned. Standard on R-500 / Optional on R-350. Industry standard today - and the new R's have 19s. If you love the look of the car - these are nearly required. (Per prototype design again). Only significant difference is the lug nuts are different length between 17 and 18, and appearance.
Mid-Center Console - Really nice to have to enhnace the executive jet design but may interfere with total seat fold down - necessitating snap out removal for flat deck. I frequently fold all my seats down (ie. when I hauled back my 17" wheels from the dealer after they installed MB-18s for me) - or when carrying drywall (just joking).
DVD headrests - avoid aftermarket installs - rare as hens teeth from the factory and an expensive option - but worthwhile if it "comes with."
Rarer still: Adaptive cruise - as indicated by the Big Star in the Grill with solid black fill instead of mesh venting.
Color - Has anyone ever seen a periclase green R? Not me. You might try the cubanite, the iridium silver, and the lazurite blue, the capri blue, or the barolo red. These are my favorites. Some think the black is hearse-like. White is - well - white, which may work for those trying to send a message.
Rosswell, Thanks for the extensive review. Agree with most of what you have to say
After doing some research it seems like most 2006 R350’s in the market do not have memory seats. Since we have had only one car for the past 5 yrs, memory seats were the most used feature in our BMW. With 2 cars we might not really need it. So it comes off the must have list
I have been swapping tires on my 330 twice a year. Summer wheels are performance and winter’s have Bridgestone Blizzak’s. So am hoping to do the same with the R350. If it comes with 17”, I will install winter tires on those, and buy 19” for the summer.

Must have
1. Xenon headlamps (319 Lighting Pkg)
2. Integrated Bluetooth for phone (or the nub thing in the center console)
3. CPO

Nice to have in that order
1. Memory seats. (317 Comfort Pkg)
2. Parktronic
3. Dark/Black interior.
4. Heated Seats (323 Heated Pkg)

We still have a while before we will use the DVD headrests. Our son is 10 weeks now. But something to keep in mind.

I like fabric over leather, it’s just a personal preference. Although leather might be easy to maintain with spills.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
MB tex is not really fabric it's kind of like rubber (vinyl). They call it man-made leather. Black is best - minimum glare in windshield.MB specifies Michelin Latitude Tour all seasons or Continental 4x4 - both fairly expensive tires. With AWD you may not need winters. An easy third of ebay R-units have what you need.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 PM

I love my 2016 gl350
1. Memory seats.
3. Xeon headlamps.
4. CPO.
5. Dark/Black interior.

Try this
http://www.shopmyautos.com/2006-merc...orts-and-more/
let me know!