R350 Maintance Schedules

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 AM
srd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Sedan 2005 Chevy Duramax Diesel 4x4 2003 Harley V-Rod
R350 Maintance Schedules

I'm getting serious about purchasing either an 06' or 07' R350 (depending on price). What worries me is the ongoing maintanence costs. I understand there are maintanence schedules A, B, C....and that oil changes costs $200 dollars. Can you all educate me on what I should expect to pay for maintanence for a car and rather I am required to go to a dealer (versus the neighborhood mechanic)? Also, would like to understand more about the A, B, C maintanence schedules. Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
My wife just a bought a 2006 R350 so I can't say much about it so far. However, I put 103,000 miles on an '02 C-Class. I did all the scheduled maintenance myself (actually MB included maintenance for the first 50k).

You are not required to go to the dealer for oil changes.

3000 mile oil changes are gone. Not sure about the R, but my C-Class went 10,000 miles between changes. For me, that's only two changes per year.

You don't sound like a DIYer but, FWIW, fluids and filters for Mercedes do not cost much more than they did for my Honda when bought online. It's the dealer's labor charge that cost more.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by srd
I'm getting serious about purchasing either an 06' or 07' R350 (depending on price). What worries me is the ongoing maintanence costs. I understand there are maintanence schedules A, B, C....and that oil changes costs $200 dollars. Can you all educate me on what I should expect to pay for maintanence for a car and rather I am required to go to a dealer (versus the neighborhood mechanic)? Also, would like to understand more about the A, B, C maintanence schedules. Thanks in advance for the input.
Check this post out for some details on maintenance:
https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w...ml#post3454080

Also, you can refer to your maintenance booklet for the same info.

If you're not the DIY type, any reputable mechanic (pref w/Benz specialty) can perform these services for you. The only item I would take extra care with (maybe Dealer visit) is the transmission fluid flush. The procedure on the 7-Speed 722.9 transmission is very precise and requires special tools. It's not the "Joe's garage" type of procedure.

Here's some MB parts sites I've used in the past:

http://www.buymbparts.com/
http://www.autohausaz.com/

Good luck
Old 06-03-2009, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
The MB salesman that sold us our R350 said the transmission fluid never has to be changed. I asked him about this because i read on this forum that the fluid has to be changed around 39,000 miles and the car we were buying had 40k.

BTW: I can also vouch for autohausaz.com. They have shipped my orders within hours of placing them online.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 R500 Red w/Tan interior
I think your salesman was incorrect. Everything I have read, including my maintenance book, states the fluid is to be changed at 39,000 miles. I bet if you ask the same salesman again why he told you that, he will conveniently deny ever saying it. I would call your local MB dealer and ask the service department their opinion, then when they tell you that it is overdue to be done, I would try to get the dealer you bought it from to do it for you for free. I think this little service item is quite expensive to have done and not something like a DIY person like me can do on my own. Good luck getting it done for free.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
Do it yourself...

MB's R class (R350) can go 15,000 Km between changes - if you use the proper oil (Mobil 1 - Synthetic 0-40 or 5-30)...and it's easy to change yourself if you buy a pump for the dipstick to suck out the old stuff - do it yourselfers can also remove the bolt on the pan after the plastic belly pan comes off. Lots of instructions on this forum how to do this.

Dealer Does provide valuable service from time to time - and a worthy investment when you need valuable knowledge (ie. how to replace the engine air filters). I let them do mine once including brake fluid change as specified ... but plan to change my own oil.

My Service A is showing now - after completing service A, B, and C. Seemed to revert back to A because the next time only requires an oil change. Kind of goes like Major service, minor service, Major service, Minor service... etc.
Computer keeps track of driving habits, fully warm engine during trip - and other data.