R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Bluetooth for 06 r-500, if its prewired ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 r-350
Bluetooth for 06 r-500, if its prewired ?

Anyone know what is there and what is not for a 2006 r-500 nav HU. I opened the screws under the armrest and found prewiring for the Bluetooth connection, but the cradle connector was missing. I took a cradle connector from my friends r-class with working bluetooth and connected to the prewiring, but still saw "phone not available" message. please help.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:30 PM

2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by sivajenny1
Anyone know what is there and what is not for a 2006 r-500 nav HU. I opened the screws under the armrest and found prewiring for the Bluetooth connection, but the cradle connector was missing. I took a cradle connector from my friends r-class with working bluetooth and connected to the prewiring, but still saw "phone not available" message. please help.
After you get the wiring finished, I am told that you need to get the COMAND programmed to accept the phone connection. You can do that by going to the dealer. It should take 10 minutes. They wire up a laptop and get it done. They shouldn't charge much.

Please let me know how it turns out, especially when you order the cradle connector (please post part #s and cost). I would like to get it done to my 06 R500 but haven't gotten around to it.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM

2007 r-350
more Bluetooth questions

Originally Posted by aggst1
After you get the wiring finished, I am told that you need to get the COMAND programmed to accept the phone connection. You can do that by going to the dealer. It should take 10 minutes. They wire up a laptop and get it done. They shouldn't charge much.

Please let me know how it turns out, especially when you order the cradle connector (please post part #s and cost). I would like to get it done to my 06 R500 but haven't gotten around to it.

I didnt do any wiring, it had the pre-wiring already. So i dont know if the car has the completer and/or the core kit.
Dont know how to find out.

cradle plug part# A215 820 06 11 called a dealer and they quoted $155 for the part.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by sivajenny1
I didnt do any wiring, it had the pre-wiring already. So i dont know if the car has the completer and/or the core kit.
Dont know how to find out.

cradle plug part# A215 820 06 11 called a dealer and they quoted $155 for the part.
Thanks sivajenny1, please let us know when you get the programming figured out.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
This picture describes what "prewiring" looks like.

It you don't have the connector, you're not.

If you do, there's no further "programming" required and nothing else to purchase.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
This picture describes what "prewiring" looks like.

It you don't have the connector, you're not.

If you do, there's no further "programming" required and nothing else to purchase.
It is obvious from the original poster's comments that he does NOT have the cradle connector in the armrest. Pre-wired in the Benz lingo means you got everything except the benz bluetooth module that you have to buy separately and install by clicking on the cradle. This isn't what we are talking about.

We are discussing how to get bluetooth connectivity by using the wire he found when he took the armrest bin apart.

Has anyone done this? I have read a number of threads in both forums where people ask this very question and the answer is the same with the above along with the same picture. The question is what needs to be done when there is no cradle present.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
It's pretty likely you can subscribe to startekinfo for a day and find the installation bulletin.

http://www.startekinfo.com
Old 03-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 R500 / 03 CLK430 Conv
Originally Posted by aggst1
It is obvious from the original poster's comments that he does NOT have the cradle connector in the armrest. Pre-wired in the Benz lingo means you got everything except the benz bluetooth module that you have to buy separately and install by clicking on the cradle. This isn't what we are talking about.

We are discussing how to get bluetooth connectivity by using the wire he found when he took the armrest bin apart.

Has anyone done this? I have read a number of threads in both forums where people ask this very question and the answer is the same with the above along with the same picture. The question is what needs to be done when there is no cradle present.
I too would like to know the answer. I'm in exactly the same position as the OP. 2006 R500, no cradle, but there are two connectors under the false floor in the top of the armrest.

My understanding, based on what I've read in the Audio forum on this site, is that I'd need to add more than just the 'Cradle Plug'. I'd need that, plus an electronic box that fits on the fiber ring somewhere, then something to plug into the cradle, like the Bluetooth Module shown a few posts earlier.

I have the datacard for my vehicle, and I have 'Low Cost Teleaid', which is activated and working at the minute, but no mention of 'pre-wiring' or 'Hands-Free communication'.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 R500 / 03 CLK430 Conv
Originally Posted by lkchris
It's pretty likely you can subscribe to startekinfo for a day and find the installation bulletin.

http://www.startekinfo.com
Also many bulletins are available via the Audio forum, not one specifically for the R class though. I suspect the installation will be very similar to another model though.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:57 PM

2007 r-350
pre-wiring for bluetooth

aggst1 nailed it, i dont have a cradle, but under the armrest false floor there are two female connectors into which the cradle's connections can plug into.

i have had a r350 2007 before and that came with everything including the cradle, so all i had to buy was the silver puck that plugs into the cradle connector and the phone features were working.

for the 2006 r-500, it didnt come bluetooth ready. i took it to the MB dealer and they spent some time trying to figure this out but couldn't, they didn't run any diagnostics though. They wanted me to come back by making an appointment, meanwhile my conclusion to this is the following.

the so called pre-wiring that i refer to is not a full fledged setup but just some bare wires run from the arm rest section to the HUnit, but still has missing components.

the following parts are needed to complete this configuration.
Part # BQ6820962 - R-ClassMHI Vehicle Completer Kit.
Part # BQ6820965- MHI Core Installation Kit.
A dealer in chicago quotes $160 for the completer kit and $110 for the core kit.

the installation i hear is complex which involves removing the front passenger and maybe even the 2nd row passenger seat to access the area under the floor where these components install.

i will post more details if and when i get this installed.

Last edited by sivajenny1; 03-05-2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: typo