R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

when will the 2011 model hit showrooms?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 e55, 2008 r350, 1998 lexus es300
when will the 2011 model hit showrooms?

just wondering if anybody had any information on this. lease is up on our r-class in july. would like to check out the new one.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Late August early September is when the model change over usually occurs, but there are many factors concerning the R class that could change this. Because its not an exact carry over model (refresh) they tend to hold off on the new model until inventory's of the old style have been sold. There's also a very good chance there will be delay's on orders as well, that seems to be a common occurrence with Benz these days. Even if things go according to plan, I wouldn't expect to see huge inventory's due to its slow sales figures. The last part will make it tricky to figure out if you should place an order or not, because I myself would want to see the updates in person before putting money down that in the case of an R class, would most likely not be refundable. There are a few users here that work at the factory, they might be able to clue us in on an exact build date.

On the plus side, if you wait till the new models roll onto the lots, you might be able to score a left over model at a huge discount. I have a gut feeling the refresh will be selling at sticker when it debuts, while the 2010 will still have the huge discounts.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 AM

GL320CDI
Based on the number of new R's available in the Atlanta market as 3/8/10, there is not much inventory of the current body style available.

Atlanta has 4 MB dealerships and as the date above, there were only 11 total R's available, 3 of which were BlueTecs.

These same dealers had only 6 used R's for sale (no diesels). I was shocked at the prices that the used ones, especially the diesels (as per autotrader), were bringing.

I have a 2008 CDI, and it has been the best MB I have ever owned out of 18 cars.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 AM

2004 G500, 2022 GLS450
Not sure if you are looking for the facelifted version (as I am) to arrive, but I believe that is now for the 2012 model year.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 AM

2008 Audi R8; 2004 Lexus RX330
First I've heard that. All the press has mentioned the facelift will come out this summer as a 2011 model.

What's your source?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 PM

R KLASSE
I expect the new one will improve on current tech, hopefully it will have more W212 E-Class goodies. My wife thinks our '08 is dated in the interior dept, although from what I've seen of the spy photos I don't care for the more rectangle shapes up front and the square exhaust and reflectors on the rear. The R is more rounded off in profile and the rectangle shapes ala W212 styling contrast with the current overall profile. Just my 2-cents, also I love our '08 R-Class but I could never imagine buying a brand new one under any circumstance. Our 2-year old R we bought CPO with 25K cost us less than half of it's original sticker. I would never want to steer someone away from this fantastic vehicle, but just think about your decision. If you buy an '06-2010 nobody will ever know it's not the 2011 since there are so few R's on the road to begin with. Everyone at my wife's work thinks her '08 is a 2010 and that the model just came out.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
No sir, 2011 is the new face lift. Havent built any yet for public use but will be soon. Already getting some stations on the assembly line ready for the swap over.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Yeah people get confused easily, no thanks to Benz. The "refresh" is due this fall as a 2011 model...the "all new" model is due...crosses fingers..in 2012. Dates are always subject to change however, but I still look for the refresh to arrive sometime in September this year.

And as for the interior, I don't look for any changes beyond new seats (ML sourced) as 2009 got a lot of interior upgrades.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 AM

I assume the all-new model is due in 2012 as a 2013 model? I can't imagine they would do this facelift for just one model year.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by hmp10
I assume the all-new model is due in 2012 as a 2013 model? I can't imagine they would do this facelift for just one model year.
I thought the same thing when I read that previous article posted here, but they claimed it would be a 2012 model. I question that now that the new Road and Track has a refreshed ML hitting show rooms in 2012 as well. Someone has their dates wrong, that would be bad business to try and launch two refreshed SUV type vehicles in the same year.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:30 AM

Honda Civic
would simply be a bad move for the brand as they would have to do something special the year after. Although we are on the topic of modern mercs has anyone seen the 2010 mercedes benz s400 hybrid, what are your thought please. I think its a waste of money myself nothing special except the price increase!

Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 AM

Honda Civic
would simply be a bad move for the brand as they would have to do something special the year after. Although we are on the topic of modern mercs has anyone seen the 2010 mercedes benz s400 hybrid, what are your thought please. I think its a waste of money myself nothing special except the price increase!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by chilledbenz
I thought the same thing when I read that previous article posted here, but they claimed it would be a 2012 model.
There's got to be some error here. I can't believe any car manufacturer would do a significant facelift just one year ahead of introducing the next generation of the model . . . or at least a car maker trying to turn a profit.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 PM

2006 e55, 2008 r350, 1998 lexus es300
i thought the redesigned model was going to be in dealers this fall. meaning the 2011 version. now....im confused. so now some of you are saying it wont be until 2012? why would they change something twice in the span of one year?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:05 AM

R KLASSE
My guess is that MB will at least carry the re-freshened R-Class out another 2-3 years. That's just text book in the automotive industry, I've never known as an avid car guy any company to spend thousands (Edit) Millions to re-toll an assembly line for a face lift only to dump that model or completely make it over the following model year. I'm going to use the current SL-Class as an example, that car was just made over last year, new front facia, rear bumper, new tech, seats and the new model is due what next year. Expect the same to follow for the R-Class. If we are seeing camouflaged 2011 R-Classes on the internet, surely there would be a 2012 prototype caught by now if the company was planning to do so. MB really pioneered the R-Class segment, and it's taken a few years for other makers to step up and make similar vehicles.

I also think MB was planning on dumping the R-Class program along time ago, many insiders like to elude that the product was said to be (stillborn) when it was originally introduced. Now that the segment has become very popular with consumers ala the GM Traverse, GMC Arcadia, Buick Enclave, Ford Flex, Dodge Journey (Not really a competitor but similar type vehicle) BMW 5-series GT or whatever that hideous thing is called. The Toyota Venza (Again not really a competitor but a similar purposed vehicle) I think MB is on the fence and going to give the current platform an extended lifespan, testing the waters to see if there is new found interest in the product. My dealer says more and more people have been asking about the R-Class but they never if rarely have a new one to demo or sale. If one comes in it sells every time within a week. They also said they sell every single CPO R-Class they get in short order. I believe them because I drive by this dealer at least three times a week for work and they've always got another color on the lot.

Last edited by R KLASSE; 03-12-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
In this economy many car manufacturers are updating their cars earlier than they used to in an effort to make people buy whats the latest and greatest. The SL mentioned above is having its own mid life crisis. The original plan was to not make a 2010 model and just release the all new model in 2011. That plan apparently got scrapped because 2010 models have started rolling onto the lots. Same thing could be happening with the R class as well.

I still look for the refreshed R to land in show rooms sometime in September baring any delays. The refresh won't cause any production/assembly problems as no retooling would need to be done, they are just changing parts. The delays could come from parts shortages. I think the testing photos we have been seeing are more for hype than for testing, they aren't changing engine/drivetrain or anything major, its just cosmetics.

As for a completely all new R class, I think its wait and see at this point. I wouldn't say any date is set in stone at this time, just rumors. Dr. Benz claims they are standing behind the R class, but it seems like the automotive industry changes over night these days.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by yenlard55
i thought the redesigned model was going to be in dealers this fall. meaning the 2011 version. now....im confused. so now some of you are saying it wont be until 2012? why would they change something twice in the span of one year?
I think there's some confusion here in terminology.

What seems to be next for the R-class is what the industry calls a "facelift", i. e., mostly cosmetic alterations to a platform that remains fundamentally unchanged.

A "redesign" is a new generation of an existing model, with more fundamental changes, often to the chassis, drivetrain, interior and exterior, dimensions, etc.

I think everyone agrees that 2011 is a "facelift" year for the R. The question is whether Mercedes would really go through a facelift only to bring a new generation to the market a year later. As R Klasse said, that would be almost unprecedented in the industry.

I think it's very hard to divine Mercedes' intentions regarding the R-class for the long haul based on what we see of U.S. sales. Apparently the R-class is quite popular in China, which has now exceeded the U.S. in annual new car sales. So there's definitely a market -- and a rapidly growing one, at that -- for the vehicle. I think the real question is whether it remains a U.S.-manufactured model or whether it migrates off shore, both build- and design-wise.