R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

How hard is it to sell an R-Class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R KLASSE
How hard is it to sell an R-Class?

Just curious about selling an R-Class....

How hard is it too sell one? When I bought our '08 the dealer had at least three CPO cars but not a single new '09 or '10.

The dealer also told me they have no problem moving every used R they get but the new ones sit. I can verify this as I have to drive past my local MB dealer for work and every R they get is gone in a matter of a week or two.

I've always thought that if you bought a niche type vehicle or low production type car like this, or a SAAB, Volvo, or similar type vehicle you would be stuck with it. I feared this when I bought the R-class but it just seemed like the perfect family car at the time.

These days I kind of feel like the car is a little "overkill" for our family of three. Our climate doesn't really call for or require a permanent AWD drive-train. I really don't need 6+ seating or the cavernous cargo quarters. And would like to look for something a little better on fuel. In short we test drove a new Prius a few weeks ago and actually liked it. I hated them in the past but this seems like the direction we want to go in with our household transportation needs.

Just wanted to find out from you all, how hard or creative do you have to be to attract a buyer for an R-Class. I know the MB dealers don't have a problem selling these vehicles, but private party wise it seems like it would be tough.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I haven't tried selling mine, or trading it in for that matter, but I will tell you that if your throwing around the idea you should be aware that when the refreshed model starts hiting show rooms in the next couple of months the resale of the older body style will take a big hit. That really shouldn't come as a surprise as it happens with all models that get a fresh redesign, but I have a feeling its going to hit harder for the R class because it was the same basic design for so many model years. I don't even want to think about what will happen when or if an all new model comes about in a couple years.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:40 PM

R KLASSE
I really don't think the new model will hurt re-sale as much as you think. Not many people even today know that the car exists. My wife gets people at stores and work that ask all the time what it is and if it just came out.

Mercedes will likely not market the 2011 at all, they didn't market the '06-'10 so I doubt they will start now. Also the new car is not "All-new" and really only an MB enthusisat could spot the differences if the cars were parked side by side. IMO the differences between the '06-'10 R to the '11 are as subtle to the average person as the refresh that was done recently on the GL models. The GL still has the same basic shape as the older ones, just like the 2011 R-class still has the same basic shape as the older version.

Last edited by R KLASSE; 06-16-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
Hey R Klasse - You should keep yours - if for no other reason than it's carneol red...one of the best colors. :-)
Old 06-17-2010, 06:54 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2007 S600
I know you said you were looking at a Prius but you might at least explore a smaller MB. You might be very surprised at how much the MB dealers will offer you for your R; I certainly was when I traded the 06 in on the 09. As you say, they sell them without a problem and seem to always be looking for good trades.

Also, if you have a CarMax near by you might not be aware that they will buy your car straight out. When I was looking to trade the 06 R I went by and had them do their 30 minute no-obligation vehicle assessment. At the end of 30 minutes they hand you a quote and you can: 1) apply that toward one of their cars, 2) sell the car to them and get a cashier's check for that amount and not buy anything from them, 3) or thank them and walk out the door. When I did it they were 2k lower than the Mercedes dealers were offering on a trade which wasn't bad if what I wanted to do was just move the car fast and have cash to go buy anything I wanted and it would save you the pain and aggravation of having to deal with private party buyers.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
It's not hard to sell anything if the price is competitive or you are willing to wait for a buyer.

I had an '02 C-Class coupe with a manual transmission. How's that for a niche car? It took a couple months but I got the price I wanted and a happy buyer.

Last edited by avlis; 06-17-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (sold); 2007 R320 CDI (sold); 2008 ML320 CDI; 2014 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by R KLASSE
Just curious about selling an R-Class....

How hard is it too sell one? When I bought our '08 the dealer had at least three CPO cars but not a single new '09 or '10.
First of all, the market for selling car is smaller. As for R-class, you need family man with 2+ children and leaving out of downtown.
I put my car for sale (2007 R320 CDI with rear TV, bla, bla...) and price what I think it's right (32,000 CND) but so far, I got a few calls. Also, I think the economy is not great and no time for this kind of car.

I am looking for 2007 ML320 CDI, I want exchange my car or try sell it but I sold my 2005 E320 CDI after 7 days - as for this car, 3 weeks and no hit

Trending Topics

Old 06-17-2010, 09:58 AM

R KLASSE
Originally Posted by Zachmac
I know you said you were looking at a Prius but you might at least explore a smaller MB. You might be very surprised at how much the MB dealers will offer you for your R; I certainly was when I traded the 06 in on the 09. As you say, they sell them without a problem and seem to always be looking for good trades.

Also, if you have a CarMax near by you might not be aware that they will buy your car straight out. When I was looking to trade the 06 R I went by and had them do their 30 minute no-obligation vehicle assessment. At the end of 30 minutes they hand you a quote and you can: 1) apply that toward one of their cars, 2) sell the car to them and get a cashier's check for that amount and not buy anything from them, 3) or thank them and walk out the door. When I did it they were 2k lower than the Mercedes dealers were offering on a trade which wasn't bad if what I wanted to do was just move the car fast and have cash to go buy anything I wanted and it would save you the pain and aggravation of having to deal with private party buyers.
Well I just recently sold my '08 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab this way. I took it to a local Nissan dealer, I was trying to sell this truck for months at least eight months to be exact and didn't get anywhere. As a last resort a friend recommended I take it to a Nissan dealer and see what happens. I did just that and while I was asking $18.5 for my truck (which was KBB value) for it, the dealer offered me $16 and I took it. I figured that's what I would have been lucky to get private party anyway.

The only problem with the R is that the only MB dealers near me are the one I bought the car from. I doubt they would buy back a car they sold me originally??

I'm not completely sure I want to sell it just yet, we love it when we need it if that makes any sense but hate it when we don't. It's also a car that scares me to no end to want to own after the warranty period expires.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:27 AM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
Interestingly, apart from the usual letter that I get from Mercedes Benz about them offering good incentives for me to trade in my 08 R Class for a brand new car I was surprised to get a call from the salesman that sold me my R class that I bought brand new a couple of years ago. According to him they are really looking to get their hands on a used R class which he said have a market but they just don't have enough inventory. Of course he's hoping that I take the bait and buy myself another car from him. I am not close to considering to let go of my R Class. No thanks.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Yes the market is there, but only because they are selling for so little money compared to what their sticker prices were. Although I think its safe to say no one paid sticker price for their R class new, so the lower resale value won't really hurt us too bad.

And I still think there's enough difference with this new refresh to drop the prices of the older models. That new front end makes a big difference.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 AM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Yes the market is there, but only because they are selling for so little money compared to what their sticker prices were. Although I think its safe to say no one paid sticker price for their R class new, so the lower resale value won't really hurt us too bad.

And I still think there's enough difference with this new refresh to drop the prices of the older models. That new front end makes a big difference.

Yeah, I think it would be crazy to pay sticker price for any car for that matter. I got mine during that time in 2008 when mercedes had big trunk money incentives.

Actually, the offer from MB was really tempting. I was offered $7K less that what I paid for the car - after 2 years of ownership!!!!! But I have to get a new car - and that's where they'll get back at me for sure.