R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Looking to jump into first Benz, great deals still around?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan
Looking to jump into first Benz, great deals still around?

hi there, i have been lurking and reading for the past 2 weeks. Wife and i are interested in the R class, but i was wondering if anyone had any deals they know off for the car.

In 08/09 and such i read people getting 10k+ off, is that still the case now?

we are prepared for CPO too, what is a good rate nowadays for a 08 or 09. we would love having a 09 but most are listed at 40k is price workable with the dealers?

but we are not sure of the following:
09 navi is newer system ?
unsure of any benefits (hassle/maintenance) of the 09 r320 bluetec vs the r350.

really nervous about the air suspension in-terms of the car. Is this a real area of concern (in case warranty runs out)? are the compressors expensive? i know arnot has the airbags at decent price.

The battery in the seat is another area we are totally new to, do we really have to go to a dealer to swap out the battery? i know theres a DIY but i dont know if i am up to that...

anyway thanks in advance for taking the time to read my concerns.
BTW we are located in NYC so if someone has any referrals or hookups please share.

Other vehicles we are looking at is ML350 (no 7 seat) and X5. really want the extra seats for grandparents or something.

thanks
Will
Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 R350
The navigation system is poor. I have one and only use my Garmin. If you purchase used get the MB extended warranty. You will hear alot of members saying it's not a Factory warranty, no kidding it's the same kind of coverage if you purchase the Bumper to Bumper and any MB dealer in the US will repair under that warranty period. I paid $4,250 for a 5 year and it has already paid for itself in my case. I'm not nervous about anything that's worth the money as well. I love the car, you will too.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Nissan
thanks shobbs, i will get the extra year from CPO and then shop for the 2 year extended.

Internet research makes me scared of it after the warranty period. I mean its the best car for the family but we also want to keep it longer than the warranty period.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:24 PM

2013 ML350, 2006 SLK280
I bought a 2006 R350 in May 2007. Paid $38,000 and it had just 9k miles and came with ALL the options so it was a great deal. I did have air system problems last year, a small leak in one of the rear struts (out of warranty). The repair shop (Mercedes only independent) replaced the compressor first for $650 and it did not solve it. Then found a leak in a valve of some sort ($400) and problem returned. Finally replaced one of the struts (charged me only price of part at this point) to solve the problem.

So, yes, the air suspension can be a problem but it is rare. It also is a system that makes the car a great ride under all load conditions, so you take the good with the bad.

Other annoyances:
1) driver door lock actuator went out... cost $700.
2) tires go fast... can't get more than 30k from a set (had OEM Conti 4x4 contact, Michelin Latitude HP tour and now Pirelli Scorpion)

Overall, been a great car and I still love it. There is no better car for long freeway treks (we crisscross the region for my kids sports). I even like riding in the third row for long periods... very comfortable!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 PM

Nissan
Rostrom that is the exact reputation the R class has that has us hooked.
although i will be doing nyc traffic 70% of the time than crossing the country.
yours sound like a great deal, but recently it seems the prices went up or something. An one year old R class is still in the 40's and i thought we had a tough economy ??

those are definitely reasonable prices, looks like typical suspension costs compared to other cars.

We just dont want to have it go to the dealership more than once a year for problems, otherwise its will be overwhelming even with loaner cars. ( i know it could be a car to car basis).

We definitely love the utility of the car and the odd design attracts us more, we like to be a lil different.

• Can anyone let me know what to look for when shopping CPO? is it best to call a MB and check the vin for work done ?
  • Is it safe to say if it had routine oil changes i fare better with the longevity of the car?
  • R320 bluetec /diesels any more hassle than gas engines?
  • any advantages from 08 to 09 ?

Last edited by Benzvirgin; 08-15-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:46 PM

2013 ML350, 2006 SLK280
Check out smithimports.com for what good used MBZ pricing should be. This is the shop where I bought my R and my wife's 2006 SLK280 (got the SLK in 2008 with 6000 miles on it!). They are in Memphis, TN but from what I understand they deal with people all over the US and will ship cars (or folks fly in and drive it home). Right now they have a '08 R350 with 20k miles for $31k.

Used car inventory, in general, is at an all time low. I have read that for some cars, buying new is actually cheaper than buying used for the first time in history. I can't imagine this applies to MBZ's!

Certainly get the Carfax report before you buy. I don't think extra oil changes will save a lot of troubles, as the many MBZ's I have owned don't get internal engine problems. I have no experience with Bluetec engines so can't help there.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
Bvirgin PM sent
Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 AM

Nissan
WOW just wow, i cant believe this day in age there are actually a forum full of great people! i figure i would get a response or two since the R class isn't the start of the MB fleet but i have had nothing but great responses with the community members.

Thanks for the warm welcome and info guys.

R class is our first choice for the family, i hope to find a deal on one.

One oddity is that MB owners love cashmere interiors. Black leather is tough to find which we prefer.